Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm qualified throigh US Sailing for small boats and I still can't tie a goddamn bowline knot to save my life. My mind simply does not retain or comprehend that knot.

Goddamn bunnies and trees, it makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I can't even begin to tell you how many man hours we lose in the Bees due to not knowing bowlines

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

I can't even begin to tell you how many man hours we lose in the Bees due to not knowing bowlines

Son let me explain the bowlines and the bees to you.

You see when an idiot enlisted and a stripper love each other very much they start getting ideas about knots in the barracks room...

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

The Valley Stared posted:

The Stand Down with Rear Admiral Williamson was brutal. It took an aviator to say that he didn't understand why we were watching a powerpoint presentation on BRM (the topic at the time was the SPS/73 Radar) because he couldn't figure out what it had to do with the collisions. That got the enlisted and JOs talking, and we started to stress the lack of formal training on how to actually use radars, how we as combat watchstanders are constantly asked by AZ to get updates on casreps, ship schedules, and other BS and not actually being allowed to STAND THE WATCH.

When I read this part, I was like "oh gently caress, that's pretty ridiculous".

And then I got to this part...

The Valley Stared posted:

Admiral Aucoin also made a very unnecessary and frankly uncalled for comment saying that if you lose steering in a major shipping lane, then there should be a casualty procedure for that.

Guess loving what? If that is what happened to the McCain, they do have an emergency procedure in place. Why? Because all CRUDES have one. We don't know what happened. So the fact that he even thought to say that today was honestly disgusting in my opinion.

...and I was loving steaming. Now I don't feel bad about the cocksucker getting relieved. Talk about out of touch. I get that he's an NFO in the SWO world, I also get that as a 3* fleet commander he's so far removed from all of that poo poo...but it sounds like he has zero appreciation for the day to day realities of life at sea. The last time he deployed as a JO was probably close to 2 decades ago, and I'm sure he was getting his 8 hours while ship's company was dragging rear end. gently caress everything about this. Williamson sounds like a moron, too.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 23, 2017

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
At quarters yesterday they told us to stand by to lose a training day because of a potential safety stand-down about the JCS. I'm an instructor in Great Mistakes. :what:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

At quarters yesterday they told us to stand by to lose a training day because of a potential safety stand-down about the JCS. I'm an instructor in Great Mistakes. :what:

Oooh got any stories about the current crop?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Oooh got any stories about the current crop?

Had a kid in the 3M lab, where we teach them how to run tags. There's a station with lights and valves and we assign you one to tag out. If one of the lights is out, well, that's the one you need to tag out. This dude sees the light out and just starts flipping breakers like they are light switches. Set the land speed record for getting sent to Chiefs office to get yelled at.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah I've seen articles asking if the chinese hacked the ship (the answer is no). I know there have been proofs of concept about hacking AIS, but AIS isn't being used as a primary means of navigation (I loving hope). If GPS goes down there's likely two scenarios.

1) the ship loses it's connection to GPS, switch to other means (qualified bridge crew should be able to lay a paper fix down and get a track going in half of the current fix interval which varies depending on the situation...in the strait like that, it's probably 3 or 5 minute fixes). You can also use radio direction finding to get lines of bearing and range either TO you (from say a SLQ-32) or from you (broadcasting and having a ship with a working GPS give you a position). Hell, before all that there are likely a hundred other GPS enabled devices on the ship, I pissed off some navigation drill evaluators during a "loss of GPS drill" when I pulled my phone out and used that for a position.

2) the entire GPS network goes down, GPS on all devices fails to work. If you're within sight or radar range of land, you can use paper navigation, if not, you can bust out a sextant but to be fair if you're out of sight of land chances of running into another boat is low, post extra lookouts.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
but how does this defeat terrorism?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Proud Christian Mom posted:

but how does this defeat terrorism?

They don't feel like they have to try anymore and so they stop.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah I've seen articles asking if the chinese hacked the ship (the answer is no). I know there have been proofs of concept about hacking AIS, but AIS isn't being used as a primary means of navigation (I loving hope). If GPS goes down there's likely two scenarios.

1) the ship loses it's connection to GPS, switch to other means (qualified bridge crew should be able to lay a paper fix down and get a track going in half of the current fix interval which varies depending on the situation...in the strait like that, it's probably 3 or 5 minute fixes). You can also use radio direction finding to get lines of bearing and range either TO you (from say a SLQ-32) or from you (broadcasting and having a ship with a working GPS give you a position). Hell, before all that there are likely a hundred other GPS enabled devices on the ship, I pissed off some navigation drill evaluators during a "loss of GPS drill" when I pulled my phone out and used that for a position.

2) the entire GPS network goes down, GPS on all devices fails to work. If you're within sight or radar range of land, you can use paper navigation, if not, you can bust out a sextant but to be fair if you're out of sight of land chances of running into another boat is low, post extra lookouts.

This is exactly right, and ships even drill loss of various sensors all the time. There are so many options available to get a good fix and track where you are both paper and electronic that there's zero good reason for losing any one of them, especially GPS, to cause a bridge team much worry. GPS can be off by a non-trivial amount anyways so it shouldn't be your only fix in a close proximity situation anyways.

They would have had people taking regular visual and electronic fixes while transiting the strait anyways, however that's completely irrelevant to the JSM collision. If they had ran aground because they had been dead reckoning for hours without good position input (sup port royal) then we could have a discussion even remotely about something being compromised or spoofed. JSM collided with another vessel. There's no navigational plot or anything GPS related to two vessels interacting. That's just loving looking at things and driving appropriately. If the JSM really did suffer a complete or even temporary loss of steerage there wasn't a whole lot that probably could have been done to keep her on course.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

There's an AIS track of the other ship going straight until the collision so based on that it looks like the JSM cut in front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlrA36GzHNs

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It is extremely :psyduck: to me that their AIS wasn't broadcasting, especially at the entrance to a TSS.

TSS entrances are loving nightmares.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Elendil004 posted:

There's an AIS track of the other ship going straight until the collision so based on that it looks like the JSM cut in front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlrA36GzHNs

That does seem to indicate a mechanical failure to me because they were probably sailing next to each other for a bit and then the JSM cut hard in front.

FrozenVent posted:

It is extremely :psyduck: to me that their AIS wasn't broadcasting, especially at the entrance to a TSS.

TSS entrances are loving nightmares.

USN never broadcasts AIS.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

And yet USNS ships sometimes do.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
FWIW, the USN had already decided to start teaching how to use a sextant again, prior to these collisions.

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/22/467210492/u-s-navy-brings-back-navigation-by-the-stars-for-officers

Same for some brands of aviators. USAF took it out of navigator courses about 12 years ago, and it's coming back either now or soon.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How about how to lash together a bunch of pallets to create a steering mechanism?

Actually a giant sea anchor would be cool to have but it would probably take up too much room.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 23, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Oh?

Do you teach fc's/gm's or et's/ic's? I was the fc/gm lpo over there a few years ago. My brothers a Sami over at rtc where he gets off at 10am and it's an actual shore duty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean a jammed rudder or something like that in the middle of the SoM is pretty much worst case scenario for almost any ship. Imagine any one of those dozens and dozens of AIS tracks that represents a hugeass ship just started turning hard to port with zero indication. There's almost no way that a collision is avoided in that case.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Oh?

Do you teach fc's/gm's or et's/ic's? I was the fc/gm lpo over there a few years ago. My brothers a Sami over at rtc where he gets off at 10am and it's an actual shore duty.

FC. I've only been here a year, so I doubt we crossed paths.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I find it really hard to believe they don't have a battery backup for steering and possibly a manual way of doing it. If the 24v backup doesn't work though, manual steering takes time to work.
I don't know whether navy ships use a rotary vane setup or a hydraulic ram, but I could see a valve getting jammed causing a hard turn. Even if you have guys there ready to go, it still takes time for manual steering to happen. There's a reason people were talking about the captains rear end in a top hat being puckered constantly during that kind of transit.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

FC. I've only been here a year, so I doubt we crossed paths.

No we wouldn't have.

You're dinq on MTS by the way :chiefsay:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I find it really hard to believe they don't have a battery backup for steering and possibly a manual way of doing it. If the 24v backup doesn't work though, manual steering takes time to work.
I don't know whether navy ships use a rotary vane setup or a hydraulic ram, but I could see a valve getting jammed causing a hard turn. Even if you have guys there ready to go, it still takes time for manual steering to happen. There's a reason people were talking about the captains rear end in a top hat being puckered constantly during that kind of transit.

The only civilian ships I've seen with battery back ups on the steering were cruise ships. Everything else was on the emergency gen but that only helps in a black out.

If a steering pump ate it, or the servo cooked, welp. By the time you go local, you're hosed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

The only civilian ships I've seen with battery back ups on the steering were cruise ships. Everything else was on the emergency gen but that only helps in a black out.

If a steering pump ate it, or the servo cooked, welp. By the time you go local, you're hosed.

Spot the guy who did his cadetship on cruise boats

But yeah. Steering failure in those circumstances is A Bad Thing

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Madurai posted:

And yet USNS ships sometimes do.

USNS is a civilian crew. Some have military members on board but they are overwhelmingly civilian. USN =/= USNS

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Two Finger posted:

Spot the guy who did his cadetship on cruise boats

But yeah. Steering failure in those circumstances is A Bad Thing

There are manual ways to operate steering locally and there was at least 1-2 people down in aft steering if the watches are still the same as they used to be. But even still takes time to diagnose and figure out the exact problem and if they're down to manual adjustment it's not possible to actively steer. DDGs have hydraulic rudders.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LordNad posted:

USNS is a civilian crew. Some have military members on board but they are overwhelmingly civilian. USN =/= USNS

Speaking of that, did y'all see a few days ago when they redesignated/reflagged the USNS Chesty to USS. I would post the USNI article on it but at work and :effort:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

They have the capability, and I've seen them broadcasting as US WARSHIP . If you go to a vessel tracking site and drop that in, you get results.

Sometimes they do WARSHIP ### where the ### is the hull number

Did it a bunch during the anti piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 23, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I know they can, but anytime they are it's an exception. Standard is do not broadcast.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Going through the strait of Malacca with the AIS not broadcasting is some insane poo poo.

Edit: I mean if you're concerned about getting Cole'd, just make up an MMSI that starts with 538 and put in the name as MV STINGRAY GLORY or something :psyduck:

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 23, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know they can, but anytime they are it's an exception. Standard is do not broadcast.

Yeah true, was just sperging on the never claim

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Nick Soapdish posted:

Speaking of that, did y'all see a few days ago when they redesignated/reflagged the USNS Chesty to USS. I would post the USNI article on it but at work and :effort:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/military/the-intel/sd-me-puller-commissioning-20170817-story.html

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FrozenVent posted:

Going through the strait of Malacca with the AIS not broadcasting is some insane poo poo.

Edit: I mean if you're concerned about getting Cole'd, just make up an MMSI that starts with 538 and put in the name as MV STINGRAY GLORY or something :psyduck:

okay Stingray Glory would be an awesome name

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Assuming for the sake of argument that it is some kind of mechanical/electrical/electronic/out of cheese failure, that something went dramatically wrong in the worst possible place for it, will a human being still be punished for that, because said human being should have foreseen that that particular thing would break? Does every catastrophe always have to have a culprit?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Assuming for the sake of argument that it is some kind of mechanical/electrical/electronic/out of cheese failure, that something went dramatically wrong in the worst possible place for it, will a human being still be punished for that, because said human being should have foreseen that that particular thing would break? Does every catastrophe always have to have a culprit?

Is there such a thing as an unavoidable accident?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FrozenVent posted:

Is there such a thing as an unavoidable accident?
Contractor screwed up and shipped you a major mechanical part with a void in it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

Yeah true, was just sperging on the never claim

I almost edited my post to reflect that. Was wondering if anyone would nitpick :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FrozenVent posted:

Why is it crazy? AIS is cool and all but it isn't everything. No vessel is losing track of a warship just because they aren't broadcasting AIS. There are armed gunners to deal with suicide boats. Anyone driving a ship around them in the strait shouldn't be paying attention to AIS over looking at the ships on the water anyways.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Laranzu posted:

They have the capability, and I've seen them broadcasting as US WARSHIP . If you go to a vessel tracking site and drop that in, you get results.

Sometimes they do WARSHIP ### where the ### is the hull number

Did it a bunch during the anti piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden

I once saw a US WARSHIP track off the coast of San Diego with a reported length of 330-something meters and beam of 100-something meters. With a bunch of aircraft circling overhead. Real mystery what that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Why is it crazy? AIS is cool and all but it isn't everything. No vessel is losing track of a warship just because they aren't broadcasting AIS. There are armed gunners to deal with suicide boats. Anyone driving a ship around them in the strait shouldn't be paying attention to AIS over looking at the ships on the water anyways.

Insane might be a little hyperbolic but he has a point. Why not broadcast your AIS in that scenario? You literally lose nothing by broadcasting AIS in a strait transit.