Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Guinness posted:

I bet you could easily get 1-2k knocked off the new price for a 2018 Touring, in which case it's really hard to justify option 2.

Even just checking on TrueCar which is like the lowest effort option says you should be able to get about 1.3k off MSRP.

This is true but only because it seems like the used one is overpriced. (I haven't checked kbb or anything so I'm just guessing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm asking around, it looks like most of the 2018s on the lot nearby have a 1.5k speaker package on top of what the online baseline model has, and getting it as a custom order without would take months. I need to check back with the 19k one to see what it's got compared to what the "packages" officially are for the 2016 model.

e: Ostensibly KBB says a used 2016 with that low mileage is in the 15-17k range, CPO is 18.5k.

e: Found a dealership that cut me a deal for 19.5k on a new 2017 so I guess that's that :v:

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 14, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Major thanks to those who got me on the BMW train. After plenty of reading and price checking I can definitely afford one and the money I will have left will net me a decent winter daily as well.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Proposed Budget: $6500, except $7500 if it's a hybrid
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Four-door coupe or hatchback. We're going to need to fit three kids in the back seat and two adults in the front at some point in the future.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly my commute, about 25 miles a day, plus some change on weekends. Probably shuttling kids around in the next few years.
What aspects are most important to you? Gas mileage, reliability, safety, room, and decent enough speakers for my music

My old car got totaled (RIP Blue 2008 Honda Fit) while I was stopped on the highway (PSA: don't look at your phone while driving, or you might rear-end someone who's stopped for traffic), and we're going to be getting the settlement money soon.

I mostly just need a commuter car that can fit a family pretty well when we'll inevitably need to. Because of the price range, I'm mostly looking around the 2007–2010 years.

Pretty much all the cars I've owned have been Hondas and I've liked them a lot, so I might be looking into a Civic or Accord, which there seems to be a good selection. However, I'm also interested in a Hybrid, and there are a number of Priuses available locally that are 2007–2010. However, I have no idea how well they still work, or if I need to be careful with something about the battery, or that sort of thing.

Any advice? Can someone speak to how good a decade-old Prius runs?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
DO you need to fit 3 car seats in the back? Can you do that in a Prius? Seems unlikely.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regardless, three kids older than five are not going to fit in a Prius very well. If you have to because that's all the money you have, so be it. I'd seriously consider a minivan in your situation, though.

A ca. 2007 Odyssey is in your price range.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

We do already have a 2012 Honda Odyssey that my wife uses for the majority of the carting-family-around business. This is primarily my commuter car, and I'd only end up with the whole family in a weird, rare circumstance; most of the time it'll be just me, and when it's cart-kids-time, it'll probably be just me and one or two kids in the back.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A Prius would probably be OK, then. It's not large inside by any means, but it's probably good enough.

Is there a reason you don't want another Fit? It's actually larger inside than a Prius (95.7 ft3 vs. 93.1 ft3).

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 18, 2017

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

A Fit would also be fine, but there don't seem to be any in my price range for sale around me (at least, according to Cars.com). There's also a bit of a psychological thing because the Fit was my wife's car originally (I got it when we bought the van), and this one is My car. So I'm wanting to look a little. And I've had interest in hybrids for a while now, especially as a commuter car. If I was working with a bigger budget, I'd absolutely be all over the EVs.

I do plan on actually shopping around and test-driving cars; I just don't trust dealers to say things like "decade-old hybrids have batteries that don't hold a charge", if that's the case.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Another one.

Proposed Budget: $5000
New or Used: Used clearly
Body Style: No preference.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, to and from work. Mostly highway. Potential three hour trips once or twice a year.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) No preference
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, reliability.

With the hopefully impending purchase of a new "fun" car this fall or spring, I don't plan to drive it to work every day where it will get assaulted by door dings (seriously, my poor current car is a mess). So I want a rough and reliable daily to putter around in so I can enjoy the 1series/Evo/whatever I purchase in 6 months. I'm pretty out of touch with current economy cars, what's the best bang for the buck out there right now on the used market?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Major thanks to those who got me on the BMW train. After plenty of reading and price checking I can definitely afford one and the money I will have left will net me a decent winter daily as well.

You're welcome. But please don't hold us accountable if anything breaks! :captainpop:

I should be in the club with you all going well after this weekend too.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
Proposed Budget:

$5000-$10000, including any potential repair costs in the next 3 years.

New or Used:

Used.

Body Style:

4 door only.

How will you be using the car?:

Daily commuter (I would like the basics like power windows and A/C, maybe a radio with bluetooth or Aux input).

What aspects are most important to you?

In this order: Reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, fuel economy.

3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot.

I live in the US.

I also live in a location where they salt the roads (Central East Coast to Northeast US), so I was considering something along the lines of potentially buying a car from the Southwest and having it shipped. I've read about how Carmax allows you to do this for a fee, but I don't know if it's economical vs. buying a car locally that has been exposed to salt for a few years.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ideal Paradigm posted:

I've read about how Carmax allows you to do this for a fee, but I don't know if it's economical vs. buying a car locally that has been exposed to salt for a few years.

Having just looked at stuff like this, Southwest to Central/Northeast would probably add another 1k or more, and even just Seattle to SF was "ETA 21 days". I was strongly debating getting a plane ticket and making a road trip out of it if I had found something worthwhile a ways out.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

A Prius would probably be OK, then. It's not large inside by any means, but it's probably good enough.

Is there a reason you don't want another Fit? It's actually larger inside than a Prius (95.7 ft3 vs. 93.1 ft3).

Prius is the ultimate commuting device. The drivetrain is super reliable.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been hanging out in this thread for a long time and I'm finally going to test drive some cars this weekend. I currently drive an automatic but I think I want to switch to stick. I have maybe 50 hours of seat time in my wife's manual car, I can get around but I'm not amazing and it still takes concentration. Should I drive the manual version of the cars I'm interested in or the automatic (if available)? If I drive the manual should I just make sure to spend extra time with the infotainment and stuff when the car is parked so I can focus on it? What am I looking for when deciding if a clutch/gearbox is good/not good? I've only ever driven the one manual car. Any other tips for things to look for when test driving new cars? I bought my first car almost ten years ago from my inlaws so I don't have any experience with the car buying process, especially the new car buying process. I'm going to be testing a Mazda 3, Elantra GT/Elantra Sport, Civic Hatch, Civic Si, Golf, GTI, and maybe a Focus ST.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you should only spend time on the infotainment while the car is parked regardless

How hard is it to get say an extra 20 hours in your wife's car until you feel more comfortable? I'm surprised you still struggle after 50 hours, to be honest. I would always drive the version of the car that you plan to buy.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should only spend time on the infotainment while the car is parked regardless

How hard is it to get say an extra 20 hours in your wife's car until you feel more comfortable? I'm surprised you still struggle after 50 hours, to be honest. I would always drive the version of the car that you plan to buy.

I wouldn't say I struggle, I'm confident I could get anywhere I need to go (except maybe traffic on a really steep hill, but I'm pretty sure all the cars I'm looking at have hill start assist) and I've driven it on a couple of decently long road trips. It just takes more active concentration than driving an automatic and I'm not sure if that'll distract me from other things I need to be paying attention to when test driving. Also just kinda worried that I'm going to stall trying to get the car started because the engagement point will be different than my wife's car and I'll look like an idiot and everyone inside the dealership will come outside and point and laugh at me. Y'know, usual stuff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I've only driven stick cars my whole life and the first time I drove my current car (FoST) I stalled it because the clutch return spring was way different than the 128i I owned. poo poo happens.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Another one.

Proposed Budget: $5000
New or Used: Used clearly
Body Style: No preference.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, to and from work. Mostly highway. Potential three hour trips once or twice a year.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) No preference
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, reliability.

With the hopefully impending purchase of a new "fun" car this fall or spring, I don't plan to drive it to work every day where it will get assaulted by door dings (seriously, my poor current car is a mess). So I want a rough and reliable daily to putter around in so I can enjoy the 1series/Evo/whatever I purchase in 6 months. I'm pretty out of touch with current economy cars, what's the best bang for the buck out there right now on the used market?

I would just get a manual Honda Accord or Civic honestly. You could probably find a nice 1st gen xB with a manual too, those are bullet proof and fun to drive if you don't mind driving a box.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would just get a manual Honda Accord or Civic honestly. You could probably find a nice 1st gen xB with a manual too, those are bullet proof and fun to drive if you don't mind driving a box.

Oooh, I like the xB idea a lot. What kind of mpg do those net? And I really don't care if the DD is a manual.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Oooh, I like the xB idea a lot. What kind of mpg do those net? And I really don't care if the DD is a manual.

Here's a link about their mpg: http://fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=mpgData&vehicleID=21033&browser=true&details=on

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Looking for suggestions for the following:

New vehicle
Higher seating position
Heated and vented seats
Heated steering
Soft ride
Reliable

So far I've seen the Hyundai Tucson, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Lexus NX 300h, and Honda Ridgeline as options.

Any good place to find ride comfort comparisons? gently caress I'm getting old.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've found that ride quality is pretty subjective. You're just going to have to test drive stuff. I drove a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited last week and thought it was pretty smooth and soft.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
We're in a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk right now. Every Jeep Grand Cherokee we've rented has been pillowy-soft in comparison. I'd like pillowy-soft without the FCA baggage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GM, especially Buick, Lexus, maybe Volvo

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I've found that ride quality is pretty subjective. You're just going to have to test drive stuff. I drove a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited last week and thought it was pretty smooth and soft.

I thought of somethign this afternoon.

It's obviously not too subjective that some sports car is not going to have the ride you're looking for, but when it comes to all the vehicles that people will say have comfortable rides, there's going to be ones that some prefer and others don't like as much. One complaint I've read is some people will think vehicle X is too "floaty" whereas others really like the way it feels.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Proposed Budget: $10-12k
Body Style: Truck or SUV (4x4 a must)
How will you be using the car?: Horse trailer hauler
What aspects are most important to you? Ability to tow, reliability

I found this truck that looks good but I don't know a whole lot about trucks or what to really look for.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Proposed Budget: $0-7k cash
Body Style: anything
How will you be using the car?: tooling around town a bit, monthly trips to costco, occasional commuting in the winter
What aspects are most important to you? cool, cheap

My '04 Suzuki Aerio SX died, long before its time. I am immensely sad, but need something else pretty quickly. It would be nice if it gave me a few (mostly) trouble-free years.

Basically I'm wondering if it's a terrible idea to buy a late 90s XJ for around 2k-3k. I've sort of fallen in love with them. Would be willing to do oil and brakes myself. Obviously I need to look out for structural rust when checking out the vehicles. Also 75% of them on craigslist have giant tacky lift kits and terrible tires, I'd want one as close to stock as possible.

Mazda3s seem really thin on the ground around here, although I intend to drive out to the sticks to test drive one this week. There's also a 2000 Celica GT I like the looks of, although I've read they burn oil. I've also got my eyes on a couple of Toyota Avalons, some Rangers, and Imprezas.

Oh, and there's also this, which seems like a terrible idea for some reason, but is also very tempting.

moller fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 21, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

XJs are great, but at least here a $2-3k XJ is going to be pretty ratty. '99 is the best year for a litany of reasons that kastein can edumacate you on.

The only caveat to the XJ (and any Jeep, really) is you're going to have to put up with a bunch of "It's a Jeep thing" / "loving CHRYSLER" bullshit for designs, reliability, and repair processes. Know what you're getting into and take the drat thing offroad where it belongs. :getin:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love XJs and have been looking for another one casually for a while. They're great if you get a decent one, but finding said decent one might be harder than you think depending on your market. I've started considering WJs too since there seem to be a few more still kicking around in good shape.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Looking for car suggestions.

Proposed Budget: Less than $25k, preferably less than $20
Body Style: Anything
How will you be using the car?:

1. Something that can tow a small camper on medium length road trips
2. Seat two adults and a kid
3. Can haul a few sheets of 4x8 plywood (it's ok if I need to add a small utility trailer)
4. As small as possible, don't like big vehicles

Bonus points if it'll last forever.

Don't very much care what it looks like, but something reliable and sturdy would be preferred. I don't drive a lot of miles a year, so don't care much about fuel economy. I've never owned an SUV or truck. Drove some jeeps last night, they were ok, but I've read they suck for towing.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Toyota Rav4
Honda CR-V
Ford Escape
Chevy Equinox
Subaru Outback

2014ish versions of those will hit your budget and be pretty great at everything you mentioned. Check the tow capacity when you're buying; it's possible to configure those SUVs with anemic engines.

If you go a bit larger / more expensive:
Ford Edge
Toyota Highlander
Subaru Forester

DNK fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 23, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do those fit a full 4x8?

How heavy is the camper? If it's above say, 2,000 lbs I would start looking for something with a frame.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

With the seats down and the plywood vertically stacked over the center console, maybe. It's tough to flat fit 8' of anything in a midsize SUV.

For reference, the RAV4 has 80" (6' 8") of flat cargo space with the seats folded. If you jacked the passenger seat all the way forward and started getting creative you might be able to do it. The other same-class vehicles will be in a similar position.

Way easier to have a utility trailer. Alternatively, you could pay more for a bigger car (like an Explorer or Edge).

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

DNK posted:

Toyota Rav4
Honda CR-V
Ford Escape
Chevy Equinox
Subaru Outback

2014ish versions of those will hit your budget and be pretty great at everything you mentioned. Check the tow capacity when you're buying; it's possible to configure those SUVs with anemic engines.

If you go a bit larger / more expensive:
Ford Edge
Toyota Highlander
Subaru Forester

I think you swapped Forester & Outback.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do those fit a full 4x8?

How heavy is the camper? If it's above say, 2,000 lbs I would start looking for something with a frame.

Let's say 2000lbs, plus gear, so shoot for 2500

DNK posted:

With the seats down and the plywood vertically stacked over the center console, maybe. It's tough to flat fit 8' of anything in a midsize SUV.

For reference, the RAV4 has 80" (6' 8") of flat cargo space with the seats folded. If you jacked the passenger seat all the way forward and started getting creative you might be able to do it. The other same-class vehicles will be in a similar position.

Way easier to have a utility trailer. Alternatively, you could pay more for a bigger car (like an Explorer or Edge).

I'm pretty sure the trailer is a good idea.

I'm probably going to grudgingly end up with a pickup.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah hate to break it to ya but nothing is going to to the job better than a domestic half-ton although that is going to be a pretty big truck if you want to fit a 4x8 in the bed. You generally want to exceed the actual weight of your towed trailer by about 50% in towing capacity, so you're looking at probably 3500 lbs towing minimum.

Alternatives to me would be some of the more substantial midsize SUVs like:
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Highlander with a higher tow rating
Honda Pilot with a higher tow rating
Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon
Nissan Pathfinder
Ford Explorer
Jeep GC with a higher tow rating

The Outback and all the more crossover side compact SUVs are going to max out at about 2,500 lbs (most at 1,500) and that does not give you any safety margin or will be actively not safe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

moller posted:

Proposed Budget: $0-7k cash
Body Style: anything
How will you be using the car?: tooling around town a bit, monthly trips to costco, occasional commuting in the winter
What aspects are most important to you? cool, cheap

My '04 Suzuki Aerio SX died, long before its time. I am immensely sad, but need something else pretty quickly. It would be nice if it gave me a few (mostly) trouble-free years.

Basically I'm wondering if it's a terrible idea to buy a late 90s XJ for around 2k-3k. I've sort of fallen in love with them. Would be willing to do oil and brakes myself. Obviously I need to look out for structural rust when checking out the vehicles. Also 75% of them on craigslist have giant tacky lift kits and terrible tires, I'd want one as close to stock as possible.

Mazda3s seem really thin on the ground around here, although I intend to drive out to the sticks to test drive one this week. There's also a 2000 Celica GT I like the looks of, although I've read they burn oil. I've also got my eyes on a couple of Toyota Avalons, some Rangers, and Imprezas.

Oh, and there's also this, which seems like a terrible idea for some reason, but is also very tempting.

LS400 or 430.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hi friends. I have been driving a '99 Acura RL with 222k miles on. All of the lights are on (and have been on, and every mechanic insists it's just "the sensors"), it has randomly stalled 4 times in the two years I've had it (three of which were on the highway) and none of the mechanics seem to know why, two of the windows stopped working this summer, and when I say all of the lights are on I do mean all of them because Check Engine joined the crew a couple weeks ago (It's The Sensors) and then Side Airbag figured he'd get in on the fun when I hit a really deep puddle during a rainstorm. I've already put more money into the car than I've paid for it and pretty much live in constant fear of it stalling again during my 70 minute daily commute to/from work so I desperately need to replace it AMA.

Proposed Budget: I'm hoping less than 5k but I could probably make 6.5 work if I need to.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: Something midsize. I don't really care as long as however many doors it has works.
How will you be using the car?: Five days a week commuting into work in the suburbs from the city. ~130 miles a week. That's really it, most of the rest of my life doesn't require a car to get around.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, not being goddamn huge so it fits in my tiny garage, inexpensive parts for the inevitable maintenance. The highly subjective requirement of it being something I can enjoy looking at because I love my frustrating POS Acura, on the outside at least. A keychain clicker would be cool.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 23, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm entering the final stages of finding my dad a car. I have a shortlist of cars from local dealerships. He'd rather not deal with buying one private party, which is fine since there are essentially no good newish cars for sale here outside the two dealerships in the county.

Proposed budget: Up to/around $20,000
New or used: Used.
Body style: Small-midsize anything (no truck).
How will he be using the car: Commuting to the grocery store, plus longer trips when needed; it's 20 miles roundtrip to the store, and he'll be going to a doctor 50 miles away. He has a truck to haul poo poo.
What aspects are most important for him? Reliability, followed by good gas mileage. "Good" is relative, as he's never owned anything newer than his 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo, which never got better than 17 mpg combined or so, and blew a head gasket last summer.
Secondary concerns: a comfortable car, a car that's fun to drive, a car that he'll be proud of owning.

To quote him, he wants to own "a nice car." He's never owned anything made within 10 years of when it was built, and every car he's owned has had a continuous string of old-car issues, with all of them finally experiencing a catastrophic failure that's left him carless or stranded, except for his enormous goddamn truck, which has experienced a string of old-truck issues which make him nervous to drive it long distances, and which gets 8 mpg.

I have a shortlist.

pre:
Car - Price - Mileage

Guy Strohmeier's - Lakeport
-----------------------------------------
2017 Nissan Altima 2.5      - $17,900 - 2,719 mi
2016 Toyota Corolla LE      - $15,950 - 2,999  mi 
2017 Kia Forte LX Sedan     - $15,500 - 3,909 mi
2016 Honda Accord EX-L      - $22,900 - 17,981 mi
2017 Toyota Camry SE        - $18,900 - 18,650 mi
2016 Toyota Camry SE        - $16,900 - 28,825 mi

Matt Mazzei - Lakeport
-----------------------------------------
2016 Toyota Camry SE        - $18,995 - 38,317 mi
2016 Ford Fiesta SE         - $8,995  - 40,090 mi
2015 Ford Fiesta SE         - $9,995  - 43,313 mi
2015 Ford Focus SE          - $10,995 - 43,624 mi
2015 Ford Fusion SE Ecobst  - $14,995 - 42,426 mi
Currently, my eye is on the Ford Fusion, since it's the closest in terms of type of car and positioning to his favorite car he's ever owned, a 1994 Volvo 960: midsized premium non-luxury sedan, with a relatively powerful engine, a nice interior, and good features.

He'll be paying cash. I may be taking him to the dealership tomorrow or Friday. Local is best, as I'm very pressed for time and don't want to leave him without a reliable car, but if it's wise I can look for more Fusions in a wider area; the closest dealerships that aren't those two start at an hour away.

How is the reliability on a Ford of this era?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

How is the reliability on a Ford of this era?

Edmunds' TCO estimates a 2015 Fusion at about $99 a month total repairs and maintenance (average over the next five years), which is a bit below the average of $104 for its class. That number is more of a comparative than absolute, as actual costs will probably be lower.

In other words, the Fusion's reliability is probably slightly better than average. If it ticks all the other boxes, don't let concerns about reliability get in the way.