Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dethanc posted:

I can't help but think that the visuals would be massively improved if space was...black. Like space is supposed to be.

This is something that mildly dragged down that old game Freelancer. So many zones had admittedly-pretty nebulae as backgrounds that the few zones that were actually black with star dots were remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Speaking of No Man's Sky being garishly bright; I found a planet last night where the rocks were all bright blue, the grass bright green and the sky was yellow, the clouds pink. Every plant was some combination of neon pink, blue or yellow. Holy poo poo it hurt to to look at and my quest objective required me to fly around the planet for an hour. There weren't even any animals, I assume they all killed themselves after going blind. I get that everything is supposed to be random and all, but this is the first time a videogame has been physically painful to look at.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The fact that people are coming around on No Man's Sky is just mindboggling to me. Growing a loving spine and stop throwing money at the con artist who spent years actively lying to people so they would buy an early access indie game for $60 sight unseen, who gives a poo poo if the game is slightly less broken a year later.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

The fact that people are coming around on No Man's Sky is just mindboggling to me. Growing a loving spine and stop throwing money at the con artist who spent years actively lying to people so they would buy an early access indie game for $60 sight unseen, who gives a poo poo if the game is slightly less broken a year later.

I didn't hate it when I first played it, it was just kind of empty and boring. Now it's less so. :shrug: I've spent money on worse games and don't really feel remorseful about buying this game. But I also didn't follow any of the hype for it, I just saw that there was a new cool looking space game out and went for it. At least all the updates have been free, they're trying to salvage a bad game into a good game without costing the players anything. On the other hand, people haven't stopped jerking off The Witcher 3 for a day since it released and the first two games were kind of poo poo. People bought two poo poo games, and blindly bought a third on the assumption that hey, maybe this one won't suck too.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

I get that this post is from a position of ignorance, but to edify: the updates the game have gotten (which have been surprisingly frequent, especially of late) that have made people "come around" on the game are completely free, and substantial enough that have smoothed over some of the lower points.

It's hardly mind boggling. Game they bought wasn't good, finds out that there's updates that supposedly makes the game better, plays it, finds it more fun.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nuebot posted:

I didn't hate it when I first played it, it was just kind of empty and boring. Now it's less so. :shrug: I've spent money on worse games and don't really feel remorseful about buying this game. But I also didn't follow any of the hype for it, I just saw that there was a new cool looking space game out and went for it. At least all the updates have been free, they're trying to salvage a bad game into a good game without costing the players anything. On the other hand, people haven't stopped jerking off The Witcher 3 for a day since it released and the first two games were kind of poo poo. People bought two poo poo games, and blindly bought a third on the assumption that hey, maybe this one won't suck too.

"Kind of poo poo"? They are still great games, albeit the first one only thanks to its updates. They only look mediocre in comparison to their sequel, other than that they are still more fun than most all RPGs.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Prey has really nice chill music when it's not just random discordant screeches. The industrial noise poo poo is nice for ratcheting up tension most of the time, but this is a small room and everything is dead. Play the nice music, I barely get to hear it, and if I'm wrong and there's still mimics around the scare will be worse for letting me relax first.

Titan Quest is just really loving slow. I wanted to make a pretty chill auto-attack melee build but there's fuckall for aoe before maybe level 10 if I don't do anything actually interesting with my points. I know it's slightly my fault for only playing with mods that max out monster spawns but it's not like mobs that are too small to be threatening are fun either. If Grim Dawn didn't have weird stutter issues I'd play that instead.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hate when scary games use music to indicate danger. Alan Wake could be really tense and atmospheric but I knew I could relax once the enemy music had faded but I think it'd be more effective if I was always as on edge as I was when the creepy music was playing.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Having to ensure that you have the right sort of currency in your personal inventory rather than your stash in Path of Exile despite being right there us annoying. Also, not being able to join multiple guilds.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

EmmyOk posted:

I hate when scary games use music to indicate danger. Alan Wake could be really tense and atmospheric but I knew I could relax once the enemy music had faded but I think it'd be more effective if I was always as on edge as I was when the creepy music was playing.

Dead Space 1 has this problem real bad as well.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Polyseme posted:

Having to ensure that you have the right sort of currency in your personal inventory rather than your stash in Path of Exile despite being right there us annoying. Also, not being able to join multiple guilds.

Doesn't Path of Exile take the currency out of your stash if you don't have it on you? I've bought stuff from the vendors when I didn't have the right items in my inventory in the past without any issue.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Guy Mann posted:

How is babby formed?

How blood get bourned?
I can't believe people keep spelling Gascoigne wrong! You only ever see it written down in the game!

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Randalor posted:

Doesn't Path of Exile take the currency out of your stash if you don't have it on you? I've bought stuff from the vendors when I didn't have the right items in my inventory in the past without any issue.

I was buying things from that guy in the library in act 3. Sure, it's on the other side of a teleport but come on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

EmmyOk posted:

The only acceptable use of this is in the Friday 13th game. When you're in line of sight of Jason his music kicks off and gets more intense as he gets closer and closer. :colbert:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

poptart_fairy posted:

The only acceptable use of this is in the Friday 13th game. When you're in line of sight of Jason his music kicks off and gets more intense as he gets closer and closer. :colbert:

Isn't there an ability for Jason which lets him mute his music until the last second?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yup! Reflects those moments in the movies when he can see the teenagers but the audience is unaware. :v:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
got Platinum on Horizon Zero Dawn last night. Great game. Some minor complaints which keep it from basically being Bloodborne levels of perfect:

- the controls are simply counterintuitive in places. I can't really explain this beyond that, but if I keep doing the same dumb thing and I am 100+ hours into the game, I'm pretty sure the fault is that your controls don't make sense. The particular dumb thing is: be in stealth mode, go to switch weapons/craft ammo, end up doing a spear attack instead, which of course brings me out of stealth mode. it's not just me either. Every friend I have who has played it had the same problem.

- selecting a consumable. When you have every potion, trap type, skill AND rocks - scrolling through all that poo poo on the D-pad is tedious as gently caress

- the climbing/mantling. If you're going to make me essentially Spiderman - let me climb EVERYWHERE then. It's dumb that I can be standing near two identical ledges, but since one of them doesn't have the slightly whiter edge on it I simply can't climb it at all because "reasons". I get that this would kill a lot of the climbing puzzles in the game, but would it really? You could still have surfaces too steep to climb, or just no handholds at all. But asking me to go on top of a thing, and most of solving that problem is walking around the base of it trying to find THE climbing spot (which isn't really a puzzle at all, since once I find it, I can just climb straight up) is kinda dumb. It's also dumb to be one of the greatest free climbers in the world but a 5 foot high wall is just too insurmountable an obstacle so I have to go around.

Other than that - man - what a great game. I mean even on paper "killing robot dinosaurs with a bow and arrow" sounds fun, but it actually lived up to the hype.

If you have the means - play it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MisterBibs posted:

This is something that mildly dragged down that old game Freelancer. So many zones had admittedly-pretty nebulae as backgrounds that the few zones that were actually black with star dots were remarkable.

I appreciated that though. It added a lot to the sense that there's a lot waiting to be discovered, and there was! That's what every other space game is missing. Like X3's awesome but you're not going to find some cool wreck with weapons to salvage (without mods) or weird planets or whatever. It's all factories and shipyards. For all its positives it has no sense of discovery.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

MisterBibs posted:

What's dragging this game down is that it isn't on Steam or GOG.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey! Pikmin is a decently fun take on Pikmin even if it, ultimately, its like an ur example of a middling easy to forget Nintendo title.

Whats very funky with it is the upgrade system. At the start of the game it tells you you need 30,000 points to beat the game and that it will dole out rewards to you every 4000 points (first one requires 2,000). In addition to the stuff you can gather in levels, there is a side game where you use the pikmin you save in each level to clear out a pikmin only area for more points. The problem swiftly becomes this; there are 8 total areas in the game but by about the 5th area you can hit 30,000 points and have fully completed the pikmin side game, hell you could do it by the 4th if your an obsessive point collector. Even if you just casually play it your be hard pressed not to do this by the 6th area.

When you hit the 30,000 points the game informs you it doesnt matter, you still need to finish the last area for a part it didnt mention before. So, 5/8ths of the way through the game every single mechanic except "finish the level" becomes fully irrelevant. Get to the level with more pikmin? No longer matters that game is finished. Collect points? Doesnt count towards anything. Collect items? They just give you now worthless points.

Its even sillier because other than the very first upgrade, all the subsequent ones are superflous health and jetpack fuel upgrades (there is no gap in the game not designed for your base jetpack) so theres no reason they couldnt have just taked on one or two more upgrades to each.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Oldstench posted:

What's dragging it down is if you reinstall it to play it on modern systems, you have to launch an elevated command prompt and re-enable a form of DRM built into the operating system that Microsoft disabled universally in 2008.

Also yeah the not available on Steam or GOG thing

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Oldstench posted:

This is always a disappointment, I went looking for the Microsoft 'Madness' titles the other day, classics they are!

Nope, no playing those games again for you!

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Lego city undercover is generally speaking a fun and satisfying collectathon unburdened by concepts like 'difficulty' or 'consequences for failure' but putting out fires is ridiculously fiddly and inconsistent. Having to stop and find the exact right distance and angle to get the extinguisher to work really fucks up the bouncy effortless flow of the game.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Yardbomb posted:

Dead Space 1 has this problem real bad as well.
Dead space had the problem of having obvious enemy spawners. Hey look, a vent opening, wonder if anything will break out of that!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I didn't get very far into the first Dead Space due to the utter slowness of the character. I was getting annoyed with it but was assuming it was a case where you'd upgrade poo poo and go faster... never opened it again after my brother told me nope, that's the speed you always go at.

Also, that drat first door that would open, but wouldn't let you walk through it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dead Space felt like a prototype for RE4 that fell through a time rift and inexplicably came out after re4

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I felt like dead space was re4 if the series maintained a more horror vibe. It also is one of my favorites.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Once you learn DS's patterns it does become a bit lamer but I feel like the presentation was so good that a lot of that was forgiven. I loved that it avoided cutscenes right until the end and let everything happen in game though it did have the problem where it had to keep NPCs totally isolated at all times so you couldn't kill them. I loved that your menu was a holographic projection in game, that was really slick. I also liked that most of Isaac's gear was just mining equipment (with liberties lol) and he didn't get a gamma beam or whatever. The unkillable creature was the best part of the game and got plenty of "loving cock poo poo bitch" out of me.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

EmmyOk posted:

The unkillable creature was the best part of the game and got plenty of "loving cock poo poo bitch" out of me.

It was done well in the first one since you had lots of logs and messages about the doctor experimenting on necromorphs to create a more perfect creature. It fits into the story and has a satisfying resolution when you finally burn it to death with the shuttle engines.

In DS2 it shows up a few chapters before the end of the game for seemingly no reason and chases you all the way to the final boss, presumably because the last few chapters were rushed and having an invincible threat chasing you stops you from noticing. You can technically kill it by knocking it into some fan blades in the room immediately before the final boss, but there's no point in doing so since you're already at the end and there's no death animation, it just disappears because of a glitch.

In DS3 they stop giving a gently caress entirely and just throw like 20 of the drat things at you over the course of the game, the first few appearing before you even get down to the planet. I seem to recall one of the side missions having a room where two regenerators are attacking you at once in a relatively cramped area and you have to disable them both long enough to perform the hacking minigame on a panel to get out.

So yeah it was good, but god drat did they run the idea into the ground over the course of the series. I still want a DS4 though, it's one of my favorite series to go back and play even if DS3 was kind of a mess. 1 and 2 are still solid.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Don't get me wrong Dead space 1 is one of my top ten games and one of the few I could go back and play through multiple times. But it does have some major issues.

Dead space three just sucked though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DS is the textbook case of a decent survival(eh) horror(basically) being turned into a generic cover shooter by the studio.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I had a lot of fun with DS3 as a co-op game but even mediocre poo poo can be fun under those circumstances.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

The unkillable creature was the best part of the game and got plenty of "loving cock poo poo bitch" out of me.

It was my least favorite part because an immortal, nearly unstoppable monster isn't very interesting to me. Most of that sort of stuff tends to draw inspiration from Mr.X and Nemesis from Resident Evil, but they never manage to do what those games did. In RE2 and 3 you could make the choice to expend a bunch of ammo and take out your pursuer and they just wouldn't show up again for a while. Not just that, but you'd even be rewarded for it. You got a ton of stuff for beating nemesis over the course of RE3, but if you weren't prepared for it you'd wind up dying or wasting a ton of ammo leaving you with no defense later on.

The monster that chases you in Dead Space is just a bigger version of one of the guys that you fight constantly through the entire game, except you can't kill it and it regenerates severed limbs in a few seconds. :effort:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

I had a lot of fun with DS3 as a co-op game but even mediocre poo poo can be fun under those circumstances.

A lovely game with a half-decent multiplayer mode can become a great party game.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
I think Dead Space was one of those rare beasts where it seriously had so many things wrong with it - the loving asteroid shooter part, the totally broken mouse controls on pc, the horrendously obvious monster closet spawners, the backtracking combined with glacially slow movement - but the whole thing managed to work as a whole thanks to the overall feeling of dread and powerlessness (at least to start with). Then the series turned into a generic shooter which while still fun to play, lost the part which I liked the original for in the first place.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nuebot posted:

It was my least favorite part because an immortal, nearly unstoppable monster isn't very interesting to me. Most of that sort of stuff tends to draw inspiration from Mr.X and Nemesis from Resident Evil, but they never manage to do what those games did. In RE2 and 3 you could make the choice to expend a bunch of ammo and take out your pursuer and they just wouldn't show up again for a while. Not just that, but you'd even be rewarded for it. You got a ton of stuff for beating nemesis over the course of RE3, but if you weren't prepared for it you'd wind up dying or wasting a ton of ammo leaving you with no defense later on.

The monster that chases you in Dead Space is just a bigger version of one of the guys that you fight constantly through the entire game, except you can't kill it and it regenerates severed limbs in a few seconds. :effort:

I guess that's a fair analysis though I don't agree at all. To be more exact my perspective on it is different. I think good survival horror is at it's best when there's very little you can do except just scrape by even if you're a great player. Things like RE4 and DS aren't really survival horror so much as action games with horror settings. The start of DS has some great survival elements and I think the unstoppable regenerator is when it recaptures that even if you're well equipped and good at the game. I think your feelings on it are totally reasonable though and it's really about what you want from the game :shobon:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Here's exclusive footage of me playing the game solo

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

HaB posted:

got Platinum on Horizon Zero Dawn last night. Great game. Some minor complaints which keep it from basically being Bloodborne levels of perfect:

- the controls are simply counterintuitive in places. I can't really explain this beyond that, but if I keep doing the same dumb thing and I am 100+ hours into the game, I'm pretty sure the fault is that your controls don't make sense. The particular dumb thing is: be in stealth mode, go to switch weapons/craft ammo, end up doing a spear attack instead, which of course brings me out of stealth mode. it's not just me either. Every friend I have who has played it had the same problem.

I did this a bunch and it's basically because there's no blindfire in the game - you have to aim to shoot. If you hit the fire button without aiming then you just whack with your spear. The crafting/ammo button is right next to the aim button so the game is finicky about when you've dropped out of crafting mode and have gone into aiming mode, meaning a bunch of times you think you want to shoot ASAP but haha nope you just flailed at the air like an idiot.

Still a really good game though.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

theres always peng

Gitro
May 29, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I keep thinking that the game's doing that before I remember it isn't. It used to be a good spook but I'm 8 hours in and I'm used to it. The first space walk didn't lose any tension from letting me listen to actual music and neither would the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I guess that's a fair analysis though I don't agree at all. To be more exact my perspective on it is different. I think good survival horror is at it's best when there's very little you can do except just scrape by even if you're a great player. Things like RE4 and DS aren't really survival horror so much as action games with horror settings. The start of DS has some great survival elements and I think the unstoppable regenerator is when it recaptures that even if you're well equipped and good at the game. I think your feelings on it are totally reasonable though and it's really about what you want from the game :shobon:

See, I agree but they're also different game styles. The opening of Dead Space was absolutely fantastic, probably the best part of the whole game and if it had kept that up the entire time I would have loved it. Make ammo extra scarce, maybe make limb removal not straight up kill monsters, which would make the immortal one extra horrifying when you can't even cripple it to save your rear end.

But the game we got was more of an action game. And it just sucks when you take a shooty action game and throw in something you can't solve with shooty action gameplay. Sudden gameplay style changes aren't something I ever find really feel great in a game. You never really have to run away from anything in the game until now, and it just feels kind of cheap that you do this time.