Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Silver Alicorn posted:

does DisplayPort carry sound?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

yes it does

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
windows just loves to decide that displayport monitors with no speakers on them are actually your default audio device

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
as much as i know that all apple rumors are true, i'm still holding out hope that tim wouldn't be so stupid as to release a phone with the home button on the back because he wanted to rush a phone out the door

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the idea is only the touch id sensor is on the back.

the home button is likely not a physical button any more and the soft-button with taptic feedback will be in roughly the same spot it always was.

this is a terrible design too and will be awful to use, but the solid glass monolith is basically the ultimate expression of sir johnny ives' obsession with functionless minimalism

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
maybe part of the fix for touchid working sporadically at best is no longer allowing thumbprints because there's no way you could use a sensor on the back with a thumb

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

touchid works great and is far and away the most successful biometric authentication technology to date

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

touchid works great and is far and away the most successful biometric authentication technology to date

clearly you do not have the coarse gnarled hands of a labourer

ufarn
May 30, 2009
touchid was completely useless for me at first, then i think they fixed it in an update, but i got a couple of issues a while back, too

they'd probably do okay if they calibration process were better; i feel like i must be doing it wrong sometimes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

he's not an android user, so that's a given

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Stymie posted:

maybe part of the fix for touchid working sporadically at best is no longer allowing thumbprints because there's no way you could use a sensor on the back with a thumb

people unlock their iphones with their nipple so this won’t stop them

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
how the hell are you guys loving up Touch ID these days

are you guys hideous mutants with gnarled thumbs???

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

My Linux Rig posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i had trouble with it when it first came out but it's because i was doing it wrong

consistently works great now

i'm sad to hear stymie only has thumbs, though. sorry about losing your other fingers, bud

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Linux Rig posted:

touchid doesn't work so great if you have hands that aren't lily white and smooth, aka computer toucher hands

if you actually have calluses, or god forbid non-white skin, it maybe works 1 try out of 10

but we already knew yosposters don't have any perspective on actual work or non-whiteness

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Stymie posted:

touchid doesn't work so great if you have hands that aren't lily white and smooth, aka computer toucher hands

if you actually have calluses, or god forbid non-white skin, it maybe works 1 try out of 10

but we already knew yosposters don't have any perspective on actual work or non-whiteness

I'm sorry that your thumbs are so broken maybe you should try using your other fingers

unless your hands are like that mutant stomach baby's hands from total recall then sorry about your terrible genetics but that's not apples fault

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Linux Rig posted:

I'm sorry that your thumbs are so broken maybe you should try using your other fingers

unless your hands are like that mutant stomach baby's hands from total recall then sorry about your terrible genetics but that's not apples fault

lol i don't have touchid thank god i use a passcode like steve intended

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i have non-white skin and touchid works gr8

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nice racism of stymie to assume i'm white

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Silver Alicorn posted:

does DisplayPort carry sound?

not only that it's also cheaper to license than HDMI™

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Stymie posted:

lol i don't have touchid thank god i use a passcode like steve intended

*passcode screen comes up* ungh!! *beats screen with useless nub arms*

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol @ white people

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

always thinkin everyone else is white

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

even if you arent white im pretty sure stymie would argue that you are

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
in yospos at least

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

akadajet posted:

"4K HDMI(30Hz)" wtf

yeah you need hdmi 1.3 or some nerd poo poo to get 4k@60hz. it sucks and HDMI is stupid, should have been DisplayPort but I couldn't find one that supported it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i mean let's face facts: the entire tech industry is about advancing white supremacy so a default assumption that computer touchers are white or at least pro-white is reasonable

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

qirex posted:

no I'm forever doomed since like half the speakers I'm looking at are 4 ohms so there's barely any $1500+ receivers that can handle that

check out the denon refurb channel dawg

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Stymie posted:

i mean let's face facts: the entire tech industry is about advancing white supremacy so a default assumption that computer touchers are white or at least pro-white is reasonable

this is not unique to the tech industry, every industry under capitalism is about advancing white supremacy

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
behead those who quote stymie

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

behead those who quote stymie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

creationist believer posted:

this is not unique to the tech industry, every industry under capitalism is about advancing white supremacy

given that the tech industry has gathered the most in profits of any industry, it is the purest manifestation of capitalism and therefore the primary means of advancing white supremacy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
[quote="“Schadenboner”" post="“475671994”"]

[/quote]

saving this for a project

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Silver Alicorn posted:

saving this for a project

Original source (for the original-original, no idea who 219'ed those two panels): http://adactivity.tumblr.com/post/73552347250/here-are-the-raw-images-which-make-up-the-eat-no

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
good poo poo op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Touch ID uses an ir sensor, it does not see skin color. stop quoting and responding to stymie, idiots.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stymie was... wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stymie posted:

given that the tech industry has gathered the most in profits of any industry, it is the purest manifestation of capitalism and therefore the primary means of advancing white supremacy

actually youll find that tech companies arent profitable

also um investment banking????????????

• Locked thread