Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Saw this ad at work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, probably would but I'm an American and there wasn't a single piece of fish that passed my lips while I was in Japan that wasn't amazing. At least compared to the stuff you find in the US.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ramos posted:

Eh, probably would but I'm an American and there wasn't a single piece of fish that passed my lips while I was in Japan that wasn't amazing. At least compared to the stuff you find in the US.

That's Thai script in the ad.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
That's terrible presentation and seems like it'd be inconvenient to eat.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

CommonShore posted:

That's Thai script in the ad.

Eh, it'll still probably taste really good if they serve it up correctly.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If I got served sushi like that I would say "so long" and leave

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't believe I actually laughed at that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mng posted:

I bought some butter that had sea salt in it, and just thought it was a fancy way to say it's salted butter. But it was literally butter with bits of sea salt in it. Crunchy butter was not a success :(

For some things I guess that might be bad, but that honestly sounds amazing to me

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's also you do need to have some amount of salt in your diet to help your brain function. I learned this one when I had to do my cardiac/hypertension follow up and despite that since I grew up in a family where we were already low to no salt added because of hypertension, the dietician still insisted I needed to cut my salt down further. Since I wasn't eating fast food because you kinda have to be able to afford it to have it, I began to cut out any food that had a natural high sodium count and I had trouble concentrating. After a certain point I said screw this and went back to my usual cook from scratch no added salt and was fine. I figure the dietician was thinking I was lying about my diet for whatever reason.

It's like when a doctor asks how much someone drinks - they just sort of double the amount because people lie.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Loutre posted:

Saw this ad at work today.

Honestly that's about my ideal amount of fish vs. rice so yeah, I totally would. Price isn't great for what I'm assuming is only okay-ish fish though.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

OutsideAngel posted:

Honestly that's about my ideal amount of fish vs. rice so yeah, I totally would. Price isn't great for what I'm assuming is only okay-ish fish though.

Sushi Den is the worst of probably a dozen sushi places in CentralWorld. It's got a conveyor belt and it's always empty.

:discourse:

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

angerbeet posted:

It's like when a doctor asks how much someone drinks - they just sort of double the amount because people lie.

This is why my doctor keeps referring me to rehab.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The Bloop posted:

For some things I guess that might be bad, but that honestly sounds amazing to me

It really is.

Yum.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Everything is bad for you if you eat enough of it.

Besides, a world without any amount of salt or butter is not a world I want to live in, so if they kill me, oh well.
Also if you're cooking from scratch, you're already getting waaaaaay less salt than if you ate something prepackaged. Suggesting people just sub in herbs & spices is disingenuous at best, completely failing to recognize what salt does in cooking at worst. I once had roasted potatoes that were completely covered with herbs and looked like they should have been delicious, but had no loving flavor because there was no salt in them.

Same with butter, assuming you're not Paula Deen. Although in this case you can often sub in unsaturated fats if you know what you're doing and know what the fat's function is in the recipe.

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Aug 23, 2017

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Pookah posted:

It really is.

Yum.

Oh no, I'm broken :smith:

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Loutre posted:

Sushi Den is the worst of probably a dozen sushi places in CentralWorld. It's got a conveyor belt and it's always empty.

:discourse:

Just googled CentralWorld and apparently it's an enormous shopping complex (i.e. a fuckhuge mall). Even in Japan the department store sushi is okay at best, I shudder to imagine what MallFish(tm) is like anywhere else.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mng posted:

Oh no, I'm broken :smith:

Rye bread with just butter and crystal salt is a surprisingly great snack.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Rye bread with just butter and crystal salt is a surprisingly great snack.

I really don't like untoasted rye and even then the flavor is usually very strong and slightly unpleasant. It's just not my thing.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Living on the loving edge there

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TOO SPICY! What the hell do you think I am?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I found out yesterday that one of my friends fills up little bowls with ketchup and licks it out of them. I've never seen him do this before but he says it's a snack he has like every day and I might as well have felt like I found out he tortures small animals for sex reasons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

I found out yesterday that one of my friends fills up little bowls with ketchup and licks it out of them. I've never seen him do this before but he says it's a snack he has like every day and I might as well have felt like I found out he tortures small animals for sex reasons

That is pretty fuckin weird, yeah

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
How little of a bowl?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Theokotos posted:

How little of a bowl?

Like little condiment dipping bowls. Probably like 3" across and and 1 1/2" deep? We were watching movies together and he came back from the kitchen with one and was lapping out of it intermittently and I was almost immediately like "what's that" and he was like "ketchup sometimes I just snack on it"

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Haifisch posted:

Also if you're cooking from scratch, you're already getting waaaaaay less salt than if you ate something prepackaged. Suggesting people just sub in herbs & spices is disingenuous at best, completely failing to recognize what salt does in cooking at worst. I once had roasted potatoes that were completely covered with herbs and looked like they should have been delicious, but had no loving flavor because there was no salt in them.

Same with butter, assuming you're not Paula Deen. Although in this case you can often sub in unsaturated fats if you know what you're doing and know what the fat's function is in the recipe.

Because I'm so used to not adding salt unless the recipe calls for it like in baking, what salt's already there tastes fine to me though my fiance ends up going for the salt shaker. I don't know if it's related but since I've been doing more from scratch cooking, I notice sweetness more to where a lot of things, particularly desserts are too sweet for me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

Like little condiment dipping bowls. Probably like 3" across and and 1 1/2" deep? We were watching movies together and he came back from the kitchen with one and was lapping out of it intermittently and I was almost immediately like "what's that" and he was like "ketchup sometimes I just snack on it"

Honestly the worst part of this story is that your friend went into the kitchen for a snack and didn't offer you any.

Also, lapping poo poo out of a bowl is a little wtf even if it wasn't a condiment

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

Honestly the worst part of this story is that your friend went into the kitchen for a snack and didn't offer you any.

Also, lapping poo poo out of a bowl is a little wtf even if it wasn't a condiment

Sometimes I've ate popcorn like that. :smith: just to see if i could do it.

Not unlike a lizard or frog.

It's me, I'm the tubby goon. :negative:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Aesop Poprock posted:

You might wanna be careful your friend doesn't skin you alive so he can wear you as a cape.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Make sure he knows the red stuff is blood and not ketchup, so he doesn't get his hopes up.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He's a skinny guy in his early 20s who moved to the US from Puerto Rico when he was like 9 and he said his entire family has ketchup as a snack

His parents don't speak English and they're severely obese and have diabetes and heart problems, ones in a wheel chair and the other one uses a cane to get around. I'm thinking ketchup snacks is probably bad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

He's a skinny guy in his early 20s who moved to the US from Puerto Rico when he was like 9 and he said his entire family has ketchup as a snack

His parents don't speak English and they're severely obese and have diabetes and heart problems, ones in a wheel chair and the other one uses a cane to get around. I'm thinking ketchup snacks is probably bad

I mean, health-wise it's probably better than eating a butterfinger or a whole bag of chips, but yeah, it's pretty much just HFCS unless you eat it at school or prison then it is a healthy nutritious vegetable

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I had a boyfriend once who drank ketchup. He was Russian and would eat anything, like he put a plastic bag of pierogies in the microwave once and ate the whole mess, plastic and all. He was great fun, but a real mess.

E: Another friend drank her leftover soy sauce after eating sushi AND put sugar in green tea; I stopped going to Japanese restaurants with her after a while.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Aug 23, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I had a boyfriend once who drank ketchup. He was Russian and would eat anything, like he put a plastic bag of pierogies in the microwave once and ate the whole mess, plastic and all. He was great fun, but a real mess.

E: Another friend drank her leftover soy sauce after eating sushi AND put sugar in green tea; I stopped going to Japanese restaurants with her after a while.

Oh no, I also add sugar in my green tea too. :ohdear:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

RareAcumen posted:

Oh no, I also add sugar in my green tea too. :ohdear:

It's okay; as a kid I used to chew up the top half of pretzel sticks, chew them up, and spread the goo back on with my tongue. It was tasty. Anyways, nobody's perfect.

e: I swear, I only did this in private.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I eat ketchup, soy, duck sauce, and mustard packets straight up. I even keep them in my purse for emergencies. Getting snackish? Have a McD's ketchup packet and some soy sauce and you're golden.

I also drink spaghetti sauce from the jar,eat mustard from the jar with a spoon, and pour plum sauce into my mouth from the bottle. My processed condiment love knows no boundaries.

I have done unspeakable things with Arby's horsey sauce. You guys need to up your "condiments as dinner" game.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

fizzymercy posted:

I eat ketchup, soy, duck sauce, and mustard packets straight up. I even keep them in my purse for emergencies. Getting snackish? Have a McD's ketchup packet and some soy sauce and you're golden.

I also drink spaghetti sauce from the jar,eat mustard from the jar with a spoon, and pour plum sauce into my mouth from the bottle. My processed condiment love knows no boundaries.

I have done unspeakable things with Arby's horsey sauce. You guys need to up your "condiments as dinner" game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fizzymercy posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's okay; as a kid I used to chew up the top half of pretzel sticks, chew them up, and spread the goo back on with my tongue. It was tasty. Anyways, nobody's perfect.

e: I swear, I only did this in private.

you are the weirdest human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

OwlFancier posted:

As if you don't just spoon the butter and sugar mix when you make cakes into your mouth like a loving pig and then have to go make more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fMvXBm7O-s