Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Glenn, I trusted you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Miserable Maid posted:

Glenn, I trusted you

You fool! This is why I said to ignore him in the OP- if you acknowledge his existence he's made manifest and haunts this thread!

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Now we'll be cursed with incessant demons and ghosts saying things like "why don't you smiiiiiiile?" and "you look boooOOOOooored" :ghost:
Also our crops will likely whither and die.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Don't forget recommendations to "better yourselves" without taking into account things like, geography, social, economic issues etc etc

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

"BOOtstraps"

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Starman Super DX posted:

There's an extremely thin line between the regular who sees you often enough to catch your name and give you a casual "Hey so-and-so, how's it going?" And the stranger you've never seen who thinks that anyone who has a name tag is their bestest buddy and announces it immediately upon meeting you and insists on making pointless conversation.

Plus there are the "why do you never smile?" customers who can't take the hint that I stop smiling when I see them because they're terrible.
I've literally heard these people say that I'm unfriendly or unsociable because I refuse to pretend to be friendly to them.

Maybe I'm a freak idk but after a few poor reactions with a particular individual I assume that they have a problem with me personally and not that they must be a horrible rear end in a top hat for not being friendlier.

The ol' "I dont get paid enough to fake genuine human emotions" works pretty well.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

spog posted:

I think a goon who worked for a car dealership said that they always looked at the shoes.

They said that often the really rich dressed like bums, but had 500 dollar shoes.

Also, a lot of people would flaunt a really expensive watch, but the 20 dollar shoes were a give away that they didn't actually have a lot of money.

Who the hell pays more than $20 for shoes?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Applesnots posted:

The ol' "I dont get paid enough to fake genuine human emotions" works pretty well.

"Corporate didn't spring for the training course in humor when I was decanted from the breeding vat/cloning pod/spawning chamber/Lazarus vault."

Usually takes a minute for that one to register, especially if your delivery is as deadpan as humanly possible. Tweak as needed for audience.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 23, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

super sweet best pal posted:

Are you being serious?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

If you can find me a reliable source of $20 shoes in size 16 EEEE width, I will give you $100.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

wtf

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
dunno why that's shocking, ur on SA, just imagine the standard goon stereotype of a sloppy nerd in decomposing cheap Walmart sneakers that are 10+ years old?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Telephones posted:

I wear a nametag. Sometimes customers say "Hi, Phones!" Shut the gently caress up. Stop it. You don't know me. You're not clever. It's weird. No no dont feel good about it! gently caress you!

people who pay attention to name tags are universally scum

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Barudak posted:

Thats how you get a dick flopped out in front of you.

I take it a lot of people laugh at your dick when they see it on the reg?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I remember some customers whistling at me in order to get my attention, Tweet Tweet! I ignored them until they walked up to me and talked to me and mentioned something about me not hearing them whistling. I just told them that I thought hey were calling a dog or something, why would they do that to me? This only happened about twice though.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Applesnots posted:

I remember some customers whistling at me in order to get my attention, Tweet Tweet! I ignored them until they walked up to me and talked to me and mentioned something about me not hearing them whistling. I just told them that I thought hey were calling a dog or something, why would they do that to me? This only happened about twice though.

Haha once a guy snapped at me to get my attention and I was already in a piss poor mood that day so when I turned around with a look of immense fury and indignantly said "Did you just snap at me??"
The guy immediately shrunk back and apologized. He probably wasn't even trying to be rude but I did appreciate that he recognized my annoyance.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

In some cultures it's really rude to hand money to people - you're expected to put it down on the counter. There's this japanese grocery store I go to sometimes, when it's time to pay, you put your money or credit card on a little tray; the cashier slides the tray towards themselves, picks it up, processes your payment, then puts your card or change back onto the tray and slides it towards you.

they do this in japan, it's a germ thing - can't touch icky hands!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I out of the roughly dozen times I've been asked my name, only once by a non-regular has it ever been for a benign reason. Refusing to tell some crabby biddy your name is hilarious though. What are they gonna do? They already want to bitch to someone nominally in charge or just make a scene. Refusing them the dubious pleasure of acting like self indulgent morons is half the fun of retail.

You can see why I didn't last at a corporate chain grocery store for long. Now I manage a liquor store with a half dozen employees. Like I'm gonna give some harpy my bosses phone number on a Friday night when he's home with his kids because she thinks I wasn't deferential enough? gently caress that.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 23, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Starman Super DX posted:

Haha once a guy snapped at me to get my attention and I was already in a piss poor mood that day so when I turned around with a look of immense fury and indignantly said "Did you just snap at me??"
The guy immediately shrunk back and apologized. He probably wasn't even trying to be rude but I did appreciate that he recognized my annoyance.

God, I can barely approach people working when I need help. I can't imagine snapping or whistling at them. What is it in people's minds that makes them think this is OK?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

MC Hawking posted:

I out of the roughly dozen times I've been asked my name, only once by a non-regular has it ever been for a benign reason. Refusing to tell some crabby biddy your name is hilarious though. What are they gonna do? They already want to bitch to someone nominally in charge or just make a scene. Refusing them the dubious pleasure of acting like self indulgent morons is half the fun of retail.

You can see why I didn't last at a corporate chain grocery store for long.

Yeah, man. You're super cool and tough. Follow your own rules.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Starman Super DX posted:

Yeah, you do not do that to people. Glad he apologized. When I bar tended , if you whistled or snapped you would be the last on my list of concerns. Most figured this out after a while.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah, man. You're super cool and tough. Follow your own rules.

99% of the time it doesn't come to that but hey, I gotta thing about condescending people. Nice low effort troll though, ya really got me! :)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the worst was when some rich dude clapped in my face and said "chop chop!"

Who the hell does that in real life?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I take it a lot of people laugh at your dick when they see it on the reg?

Not me but it was not unheard of for dudes at a kids amusement park I worked at to tell women who werent smiling that theyd give them something to smile about while gesturing at their crotch, often with their kids in tow.

This is the same park, again intended to cater to 2-6 year olds, where two families completely unrelated to each other got drunk on liquor they packaged as water and claimed was for their diabetes that they began throwing trash cans at each other and anyone who tried to break up their fight until the cops showed up.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

I think the worst was when some rich dude clapped in my face and said "chop chop!"

Holy poo poo that's agitating.

"Say that again, and I'll go out to Home Depot, buy a hatchet, return here, and 'chop chop' all of your goddamned fingers off. How does that sound, pal?"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Barudak posted:

Not me but it was not unheard of for dudes at a kids amusement park I worked at to tell women who werent smiling that theyd give them something to smile about while gesturing at their crotch, often with their kids in tow.

This is the same park, again intended to cater to 2-6 year olds, where two families completely unrelated to each other got drunk on liquor they packaged as water and claimed was for their diabetes that they began throwing trash cans at each other and anyone who tried to break up their fight until the cops showed up.

Mostly I was insinuating you had a dick worth laughing at, likely because it's small. :thejoke:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

EugeneJ posted:

" I am sorry sir, who is Chop Chop, and how can I find him for you?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Applesnots posted:

" I am sorry sir, who is Chop Chop, and how can I find him for you?"

As ever, the best way to deal with people who treat you like a servant is to feign the most inconvenient and fawning level of stupidity you can get away with.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

It really is, and you will never get in trouble for it. Just pile on the sugary sweetness.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Barudak posted:

Huh, the only drunken fights I'd see parents get into were were at Chuck E. Cheese's.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Deny everything and have a smug smile that could pass for "nice.". It's the best defense for lovely patrons.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

As ever, the best way to deal with people who treat you like a servant is to feign the most inconvenient and fawning level of stupidity you can get away with.

In college, I worked at Hollywood Video, and every busy night, without fail, some rude person would come up to the side of the counter, ignoring the long lines and demanding my attention away from them. I'd ignore them like crazy. If they didn't get the idea that I wouldn't skip to them, and raised a fuss, I'd politely and straightfaced without even turning to them just say "Sir/Madam, if you wait your turn in line like everyone else, I'd be happy to help you" and not pay the slightest bit of attention to them again until they were at the front of my line.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Choco1980 posted:

In college, I worked at Hollywood Video, and every busy night, without fail, some rude person would come up to the side of the counter, ignoring the long lines and demanding my attention away from them. I'd ignore them like crazy. If they didn't get the idea that I wouldn't skip to them, and raised a fuss, I'd politely and straightfaced without even turning to them just say "Sir/Madam, if you wait your turn in line like everyone else, I'd be happy to help you" and not pay the slightest bit of attention to them again until they were at the front of my line.

it's the best when you get to do this because immediately all the customers in the line turn on the jerk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Easy there Sam Vimes. Wouldn't want your cardboard soles to wear out just yet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Huh, the only drunken fights I'd see parents get into were were at Chuck E. Cheese's.

Turns out that anything involving small children is a ripe opportunity to scope out if 33 is too old to start your boxing career

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn-wt8k9rb0

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SpacePig posted:

God, I can barely approach people working when I need help.

I always prefer people ask me. So often I ask if they are looking for something (we have a bunch of random poo poo), get told no, then two minutes later get asked if we have something and immediately either show them where it is or say we don't have it. Just ask you idiots, you'll be out of my shop faster.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lmao, just lmao if you don't have cordwainer that custom makes all of your shoes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

lmao, just lmao if you don't have cordwainer that custom makes all of your shoes

Sh...oes? Is that what those are? My servants who ferry me often complain about such things. Thanks for helping put those pieces together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arrhythmia posted:

people who pay attention to name tags are universally scum

My nametag has a dosimeter on it.

• Locked thread