Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

ManofManyAliases posted:

Calm down, big boy. There is only one build. That build is locked to daymar only on a private server. If they had people playing around and quantum jumping all over the place in the full, unlocked build, no one would see each other in the play-throughs.

You know all about completing something but locking the features, right? :smuggo:

Heh, thanks man I needed a chuckle. Saw this idea posted over on FDev non-ironically. Thought it was stupid as hell, but now that you said it, it's gotten a laugh out of me.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

ManofManyAliases posted:

Calm down, big boy. There is only one build. That build is locked to daymar only on a private server. If they had people playing around and quantum jumping all over the place in the full, unlocked build, no one would see each other in the play-throughs.

You know all about completing something but locking the features, right? :smuggo:

lmao if you actually believe this moma, come on dude

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fangrim posted:

Hahaaa nah, fortunately I'm able to see the LOLs in what I did.

It's sad yeah, but gently caress it - I've spent more money on crappier stuff in my lifetime. 30 smokes a day anyone?

I can't

I mean, I

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:lol:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

high placed sources, such as the star citizen thread at forums.somethingawful.com

I'm the source.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...

peter gabriel posted:

I can't

I mean, I

Please don't get angry! :argh: You were doing so well!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ManofManyAliases posted:

If they had people playing around and quantum jumping all over the place in the full, unlocked build, no one would see each other in the play-throughs.

Why is this supposedly so loving important?

e: just keep saying it enough times once and the citizens just guzzle the explanation

starkebn fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 24, 2017

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

starkebn posted:

Why is this supposedly so loving important?

It's utterly critical. How would you possibly know where the person sitting next to you is in game without restricting the play area to a single map? How indeed?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fangrim posted:

None. Was an E:D backer though - in for about $2,200. Haven't played in over a year.

Would I get a refund in E:D if I could?: No.
Would I spend so many $$$ on a game again?: No ;o)

I played a bit of Wing Commander on my Amiga, didn't like it much, but it had Luke Skywalker in it, so why the hell not?

Been with SC since day one, more or less - they were competing in the early Kickstarter days. SInce I've been waiting for a new Elite since the late 80's, I saw SC as a direct competitor.

After the KS hubbub died, I kept following both. I know enough about computers and management to quickly realize that Christ Roberts' vision was a fata morgana. Noone could do what he promised, especially not with a non-custom engine.

So I read a lot, and one day I stubled into the Warlord on a forum. I remember him from the Usenet days, and I've been in love ever since.

Regarding goons: I HATE them!!!

They ruined EVE Online for me, wayyyyy back in the day (late 2005 I think) - about a couple years in, before the big corp wars really caught on. Had finally got a rare blueprint for my corp (a nifty miniing laaser, IIRC), and we were transporting it backto base, when Goons killed us for the lulz.

I rarely cry about it anymore, just wehn I'm lonely and drunk. Or drunk. Or lonely. Or awake... ;o)

TL;DR: No real story with CR, just fascinated bu the gullibility of people, and a morbid fascination of seeing this trainwreck happening in slow motion. Don't want it to fail as such, but when it does, I'm going to be here and say "Derek Smart was right!", and eat a fuckton of paarpcorn! ;o)

Read this because you're a new guy. Not sure what my reaction is. :chloe:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

100 to 1 AI ratio sucsfl

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

The Titanic posted:

Read this because you're a new guy. Not sure what my reaction is. :chloe:

Reading it myself, I feel the same ;o)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

3 more days. They've got 1 more stream after Chris owns us goons for laughing at his 7 month old 3.0 demo.

like last year when they finally got Star Marine to run on the last day, they're experts at marketing.

Don't know about you, but my regret for not buying into Star Citizen yet for $100's is definitely peaked.

Sure hope I made the right choice!

This GamesCom thing really makes me look foolish.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Drunk Theory posted:

It's utterly critical. How would you possibly know where the person sitting next to you is in game without restricting the play area to a single map? How indeed?

Oh I know why they're saying it, there's no other gameplay mechanics, no AI, no missions to do. The only thing they can show at Gamescom is a large Cryengine map with some noclip vehicles. The only way to get people to sit down for even 15 (10?) minutes and play it is to have other desyncing people to shoot at.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

lol

Sounds like they should invent some sort of technology where the game can handle lots of people joining at once, maybe from all over the world. Still, it's early days in the project, way to early to worry about implementing something like that.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

the full, unlocked build
:lol:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

just imagine if they could have a server running on AWS and have people from Gamescom log into it and fly all around the universe along with anyone else in the world who wanted to see the new progress.

Just imagine if the most amazing game development studio in the world could ever invent such a system.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
You FOOL! This isn't even the full game! Wait until you see my TRUE build!

*screams for two years straight*

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

dev update
  • 4 characters back from artist, final art approved
  • total of 8 characters left to design and complete
  • still need simple animations/facial expressions/poses (might be outside of budget before early access)
  • first background for crowd imperial games office (day) complete
  • more than 20 more backgrounds to go, including exterior / interior port ostagar and interior stimpire ship
  • 25% of the writing done on first pass playthrough
  • basic choices and stats still NYI, after first pass
  • entire basic design / plot flowchart 100% complete
  • 6 new music tracks, including "full verse" (ewe2 I should really get you to do the credit song)
  • voice acting is out of budget for EA release, but something being considered
  • tons of inside thread SC jokes / bad dad jokes
  • includes your favorite space denizen personalities, including streamers, employees, thread regulars and 100% totally fuckable spaceships
steam EA should be before Citcon this year

Be sure to have a character that wears a leather jacket that is hugely over engineered and out of place from the rest of the art.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A) they disabled tons of awesome gameplay and features that citizens have been waiting years for and restart the game every 10 minutes so that everyone can see each other

OR

B) the game is a crobbled together piece of garbage that's actually just running some generic flat cryengine map and needs to be restarted constantly so that people won't reach the map boundary.

:thunk:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

I don't believe this. CR could not have even done any better with a custom engine.

Blaming everything on CryEngine is giving CR an unfair way out. A talented developer with good programmers could have done something. Might not be Star Citizen, but it would be closer.

CR can't even get a single ground level to work in CryEngine.

Don't even fork blame from CR to CryEngine anymore. This is his complete failure, and it does not matter which engine he used. It would have been equally ruined.

This is the truest post in the history of true posts. Those who go on and on about the engine choice are missing the forest for the trees. Picking CryEngine isn't why Chris Roberts failed. It's just one symptom of his failure as a "game" "developer."

This project was doomed on day one no matter what engine was chosen. Chris Roberts could ruin anything - if he designed matches they wouldn't light, if he sold wood it wouldn't burn.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

This is the truest post in the history of true posts. Those who go on and on about the engine choice are missing the forest for the trees. Picking CryEngine isn't why Chris Roberts failed. It's just one symptom of his failure as a "game" "developer."

This project was doomed on day one no matter what engine was chosen. Chris Roberts could ruin anything - if he designed matches they wouldn't light, if he sold wood it wouldn't burn.

If he designed vaccum cleaners, would they suck?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

ManofManyAliases posted:

Okay, I'm convinced this is a gimmick account now.

There is no way you can be a true believer after that shitshow and not be posting all caps nonsense about leprechaun aliens controlling the Illuminati's thetans.

There's only two possibilities,

- You're faking

- You're literally Hannibal Lecter and we all need to delete our accounts and go into federal protection

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The Titanic posted:

I don't believe this. CR could not have even done any better with a custom engine.

Blaming everything on CryEngine is giving CR an unfair way out. A talented developer with good programmers could have done something. Might not be Star Citizen, but it would be closer.

CR can't even get a single ground level to work in CryEngine.

Don't even fork blame from CR to CryEngine anymore. This is his complete failure, and it does not matter which engine he used. It would have been equally ruined.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

A) they disabled tons of awesome gameplay and features that citizens have been waiting years for and restart the game every 10 minutes so that everyone can see each other

OR

B) the game is a crobbled together piece of garbage that's actually just running some generic flat cryengine map and needs to be restarted constantly so that people won't reach the map boundary.

:thunk:

:five::five::five::five::five:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

Is it sinking in yet? Just how badly you've been deceived.

Derek is rolling out the dragon dildos references, that's how close we are to the end.

MoMA's not been deceived. He'll never be "convinced" to get a refund. He's got no money in Star Citizen. He's a pretend backer here to gently caress around with Derek every so often.

Nothing wrong with that though, but you don't need to try to convince him to see the error of his ways.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

MoMA's not been deceived. He'll never be "convinced" to get a refund. He's got no money in Star Citizen. He's a pretend backer here to gently caress around with Derek every so often.

Nothing wrong with that though, but you don't need to try to convince him to see the error of his ways.

:same:

Honestly its a bit boring a predictable after all this time. Needs a new person or two behind the keys to spice is up and give us some more variety.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Gravity_Storm posted:

How the gently caress did you drop $2200 on ED? I spent £100 and got the 'all expansions forever' package.

Not sure our new friend is going to be entirely honest or very cognizant in his antics. :(

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Hobold posted:

:same:

Honestly its a bit boring a predictable after all this time. Needs a new person or two behind the keys to spice is up and give us some more variety.
We were making fun of the people who said there were secret dev builds almost three years ago. Saying there's a "locked" and "unlocked" game is just a really low effort variation on that. If MoMA can't come up with a more creative excuse than he might as well just be probated.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/900505379540541440

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

Right. What you posit and we look back in hindsight is interesting. At the time basically any engine couldn't pull it off. Nor could any today.

The interesting aspect of this whole fiasco is someone turned the funding faucet of dreams off when stretch goals hit 65 million. Space pets. Yet let the faucet drip until eternity.

Hmm. Wonder who that could've been that made that decision.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
All he had to do was give Wing Commander a fresh coat of paint and he would have been golden :lol:

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

The Titanic posted:

Not sure our new friend is going to be entirely honest or very cognizant in his antics. :(

Hahaaa!

At the time it seemed awesome - a huge E-peen for the Game of my Dreams™.

I wanted to be a part of it, I had the money to spare, and I was wholly caught up in the hype. The alpha/beta journey was awesome, the end result meh.

Main difference between me and an SC backer back then: None, really.

Main difference between me and an SC backer now: I got a game to play if I want.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

MoMA from the future posted:

They're just saving up the really good stuff for the next sale holiday Gamescom CitizenCon.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

I read all that. And I have two words for you:

dragon

dildo

Gonna second this.

Because loving

Dragon

Dildo

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?525932-necro-Cyberpunk-Slang-Game&s=fde6bce3ef2bc539bd3c4279b7e38795&p=16102414#post16102414

First three words of the post.

That is all.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

All he had to do was give Wing Commander a fresh coat of paint and he would have been golden :lol:

You can't make a mocap epic with a script the size of Subspace Emissary with an updated Wing Commander, so that idea was DOA at inception

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I got 874 hours in Warthunder over the years and that game cost $0.

WarThunder seems to be my main go to in gaming for the last year or so. Blast a few dozen planes out of the sky and off to bed. Their flight model is lots of fun, plus the part I seem to enjoy the most-watching the planes disintegrate. 40ms server pings. 100+ FPS at 4K. Amazing what 200 developers can produce in a few years...

Have never tried Gaijin's other game, Star Conflict, but I already know Star Conflict is better than Star Citizen in every way.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hey Beet, I found a job for that slacker Kayak.

https://i.imgur.com/Ayb0PT5.mp4

Back payment for missed taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Fangrim posted:

I'll buy the starter package it if you post a pic of you at the RSI booth.

I'll buy the 600i if you post a selfie of you and Jared smiling at the camera.

Edit: catte tax - alpha pic of Derek and Jared's selfie.

Will you consider throwing in a Completionist if I took a photo from the booth with my "Derek Smart Was Right" t-shirt?