Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

USN never broadcasts AIS.

False. Depending on the AOR, ships *do* broadcast AIS, especially when under restricted maneuvering. When I was in FDNF we'd flip it on when entering TSS or entering a foreign port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

buttplug posted:

False. Depending on the AOR, ships *do* broadcast AIS, especially when under restricted maneuvering. When I was in FDNF we'd flip it on when entering TSS or entering a foreign port.

Yeah this was already nitpicked to death.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah this was already nitpicked to death.

Yea, I noticed that after I mashed the respond button.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
I worked port ops in Everett on an assist tug; we'd put docking pilots aboard ships coming in and the pilots would generally talk about how the CO's were often unwilling or incapable of putting their own ships alongside the pier, comfortably. With two tugs providing assistance.
I can't imagine what level of ship handling one has to be a CO but not capable of a simple docking evolution.
So how much experience do they have to pass down in regards to busy navigation areas and good nav practices?
I have a 2nds license for what it's worth and spent most of my time sailing on dredges in pretty busy areas...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Why is it crazy? AIS is cool and all but it isn't everything. No vessel is losing track of a warship just because they aren't broadcasting AIS. There are armed gunners to deal with suicide boats. Anyone driving a ship around them in the strait shouldn't be paying attention to AIS over looking at the ships on the water anyways.

AIS turns you from "a blob on the radar" into "a triangle with a name and a vector". At no cost to you, and it doesn't matter how good the operator on the other ship is.

Also, and this is a bit deplorable, merchant mariners assume that everyone has an AIS, especially in those kind of areas.

Finally, yes, everyone should be looking out the window, but let's be realistic: one member of the bridge team was looking at the radar, one was looking at the ECDIS, one was standing by the helm and looking out the window and uh... that's it.

Sailing into the strait of Malacca without AIS is like driving down the highway with your headlights off. poo poo, military aircrafts turn their transponders on around civilian airports, don't they?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They are squawking any time they're in controlled airspace, outside of military airspace. But usually even then.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dingleberry posted:

I worked port ops in Everett on an assist tug; we'd put docking pilots aboard ships coming in and the pilots would generally talk about how the CO's were often unwilling or incapable of putting their own ships alongside the pier, comfortably. With two tugs providing assistance.
I can't imagine what level of ship handling one has to be a CO but not capable of a simple docking evolution.
So how much experience do they have to pass down in regards to busy navigation areas and good nav practices?
I have a 2nds license for what it's worth and spent most of my time sailing on dredges in pretty busy areas...

Harbor pilots always dock warships and control the tugs, therefore no naval officer ever gets practice doing it alone.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Harbor pilots always dock warships and control the tugs, therefore no naval officer ever gets practice doing it alone.

That seems crazy to me: I was on a ro-ro in 2010 dropping gear in Umm Qsar and we had two local pilots aboard, the river and docking. Neither did anything other than raid our cigarette stash and take coffee and plastic cups.
The docking pilot started loving up badly so the Captain told the helmsman not to listen to the guy anymore and put us alongside. The local dock pilot seemed fine with this and just sat down and chilled.
Just saying, with all the ports overseas a small boy can make, I'd want to know that I could take care of things if need be, as a captain.
Maybe the Navy needs to start pulling MSC guys(like chief mate lvl plus) to come help do U/W OJT with the nav officers...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

My buddies that did frigate tours said they docked alongside without tugs. Granted, it's a frigate but still.

Also, speaking of frigates, a tiny bit of inside baseball I got today would seem to indicate that reactivating some frigates is all but a done deal.

Also, maybe its just me but it seems like some of our SWO brethren are being a little too defensive about perfectly legitimate points that Frozen Vent is making...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

The pilots out in pearl would let me park pierside without tug support (edit: tugs were still tied up but not doing anything), but we were going in/out 2-3 times a week prepping for INSURV and I was conn every time so they were comfortable with me. Plus I mean there's no current in pearl it's super loving easy to park a ship there.

Dingleberry posted:

That seems crazy to me: I was on a ro-ro in 2010 dropping gear in Umm Qsar and we had two local pilots aboard, the river and docking. Neither did anything other than raid our cigarette stash and take coffee and plastic cups.
The docking pilot started loving up badly so the Captain told the helmsman not to listen to the guy anymore and put us alongside. The local dock pilot seemed fine with this and just sat down and chilled.
Just saying, with all the ports overseas a small boy can make, I'd want to know that I could take care of things if need be, as a captain.
Maybe the Navy needs to start pulling MSC guys(like chief mate lvl plus) to come help do U/W OJT with the nav officers...

Depends on the place and the captain. Some are much better than others.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 24, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FrozenVent posted:

Is there such a thing as an unavoidable accident?

Well, my second ship had it's rudder fall off. That was in 1996 though, well before I was there. Even with the best training in the world, that'd be pretty hard to overcome I think.

Had a similar mishap sailing one time, the rudder which was supposed to float, didn't. I'll tell ya that I was pretty hosed.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Impromptu Type 3 NWU boot opinion poll:
What we have been authorized to wear in non steel toe are the:

Rocky S2V
Belleville C333

Any horror stories or major failings anyone has had with these?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Boon posted:

Well, my second ship had it's rudder fall off. That was in 1996 though, well before I was there. Even with the best training in the world, that'd be pretty hard to overcome I think.

Had a similar mishap sailing one time, the rudder which was supposed to float, didn't. I'll tell ya that I was pretty hosed.

Hey now, if you really know what you are doing, you can steer by trimming the sails just right. :colbert:

The only person I thought remotely capable of doing this, when the situation came up, decided to spend a few days snorkeling at Fort Jefferson waiting for a tow from USA Boat. Truly one of the wisest men I have ever met.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Laranzu posted:

Rocky S2V
Belleville C333

I've worn that Rocky model for like 6 years, they're solid. Just replace them every couple of years or when they get too dirty/torn up. Make sure they're loose when you slide them on, I've had a pair lose the padding in the heel because I yanked them on every day. The Belleville's look goofy, no idea about those.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Boon posted:

Well, my second ship had it's rudder fall off.

ITT rudders fall off of Navy things.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

Rocky S2V
Belleville C333

Wait is this new? We can wear these now?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Interesting article on lack of sleep. That was definitely a think in the guard, I once stood 28 straight hours of watch and I basically told the Ops LT "Ok Ops, I am going to go to sleep because I just blinked and fell asleep on my feet for 15 minutes, either you take the watch or qualify my break-in he's good to go." And lo and behold my break-in got the sign of the cross.

http://taskandpurpose.com/fitzgerald-mccain-sleep-deprivation-navy/

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I once watched a cougar leap off the bow of our ship.

poo poo like this kind of gets romanticized but you'd lose your driver's license for driving like that.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 24, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

vulturesrow posted:

Also, speaking of frigates, a tiny bit of inside baseball I got today would seem to indicate that reactivating some frigates is all but a done deal.

Also, maybe its just me but it seems like some of our SWO brethren are being a little too defensive about perfectly legitimate points that Frozen Vent is making...

loving lol. Do they plan on modernizing them at all or are we sending out some more uyk-7/43 ships? And who's manning them?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Why not just build new? They don't need a specialized yard being so small...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Because the Navy refuses to spec a ship that will handle all the low intensity stuff and doesn't need all the expensive electronics and gadgets and weapons.

Think about the LCS

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Money, I'd wager.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

Because the Navy refuses to spec a ship that will handle all the low intensity stuff and doesn't need all the expensive electronics and gadgets and weapons.

Think about the LCS

There's nothing expensive about an LCS.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

There's nothing expensive about an LCS.

The fact that it sucks at its job because it was built with what I assume was the same procurement process as the Bradley IFV.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

The fact that it sucks at its job because it was built with what I assume was the same procurement process as the Bradley IFV.

Spiral acquisition model!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Spiral acquisition model!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C2XdkGPoAs&t=3s

A demonstration of the LCS's development history and future.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C2XdkGPoAs&t=3s

A demonstration of the LCS's development history and future.

I guess. We've bought 27 of them so...

I guess I get defensive of the program because people working on it (me) give a poo poo and go to work everyday to try to get as much of a quality product out to the sailor as we can, but we're hamstrung by the original build spec and design documents, and how hosed up a lot of the subs systems are. Like there's a requirement for ew, but since it's a 500 million dollar ship you get a wbr, not a slq, etc, etc. This is without going into how even though we have mature processes from other platforms (ddgs mainly) we don't use them and just keep making shittier wheels.

Maybe the new FFGs will be better.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 24, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

I guess. We've bought 27 of them so...

I guess I get defensive of the program because people working on it (me) give a poo poo and go to work everyday to try to get as much of a quality product out to the sailor as we can, but we're hamstrung by the original build spec and design documents, and how hosed up a lot of the subs systems are. Like there's a requirement for ew, but since it's a 500 million dollar ship you get a wbr, not a slq, etc, etc. This is without going into how even though we have mature processes from other platforms (ddgs mainly) we don't use them and just keep making shittier wheels.

Maybe the new FFGs will be better.

Yeah. When the LCS program was laid out, it was supposed to be a close in brown water vessel, able to go in close to shore where DDGs can't and deal with threats ashore as well as poo poo like fast boats/corvettes/patrol boats, and then it got saddled with minesweeping/minelaying duty, ASW, and conventional SUW capabilities vs larger ships. It kind of suffered from the "Hey we've got this new toy, lets pack everything we can into it, run its production line through 49 US states so noone can kill it, and make it the loving wonder boat!"

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 24, 2017

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

DustyNuts posted:

I've worn that Rocky model for like 6 years, they're solid. Just replace them every couple of years or when they get too dirty/torn up. Make sure they're loose when you slide them on, I've had a pair lose the padding in the heel because I yanked them on every day. The Belleville's look goofy, no idea about those.

The Belleville's suck, pony up for the Rocky's, If you get boots issued by your unit see if the Rocky's are available and do whatever you need to to get them.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Laranzu posted:

Rocky S2V
Belleville C333

The instruction basically says "any dessert tan" boots. That being said, Rocky S2Vs are *very* good. I've had two pairs of them, and both of them are extremely comfortable from day 1 and require very little breaking in. Currently in a pair of them now, actually. Can't speak for the Bellevilles.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The Belleville's provide exceptional sole split in half half technology

They look and perform like some designers idea of a high speed boots special ed cousin

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 24, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

buttplug posted:

The instruction basically says "any dessert tan" boots. That being said, Rocky S2Vs are *very* good. I've had two pairs of them, and both of them are extremely comfortable from day 1 and require very little breaking in. Currently in a pair of them now, actually. Can't speak for the Bellevilles.

The recent one I read actually specified "Navy approved" which limits choices a bit.

The pass down we got was Belleville or S2Vs.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Laranzu posted:

The recent one I read actually specified "Navy approved" which limits choices a bit.

The pass down we got was Belleville or S2Vs.

Always question "pass down". poo poo like that is probably why FTZ got nailed.

quote:

b. Navy certified desert tan or coyote brown rough-side-out leather non-
safety boots in environments not requiring safety boot wear may be worn
optionally at the discretion of the commanding officer. Optional boots not
required as organizational clothing will be procured at the expense of the
Sailor and not the authorizing command.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2017/NAV17015.txt

It says "Navy certified" but I have yet to see an enumerated list of certified dessert tan boots. Now, having just come thru ECRC Norfolk and been issued a full seabag of type III poo poo, I can tell you they are giving out Rocky S2Vs, Bellevilles, and some lovely "Wellco" brand.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wellco boots loving owned and I still have two sets that I am still using today, 6-8 years after I bought them, admittedly not for uniform wear, but I gave a set to my brother and he uses them as motorcycle boots, and I still have a set in my closet that have held up really loving well.

Now, Bates boots are a pile of poo poo.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

orange juche posted:

Wellco boots loving owned and I still have two sets that I am still using today, 6-8 years after I bought them, admittedly not for uniform wear, but I gave a set to my brother and he uses them as motorcycle boots, and I still have a set in my closet that have held up really loving well.

Now, Bates boots are a pile of poo poo.

Funny. I got issued the Wellcos and literally half a dozen people told me they were garbage. I'd already worn Rocky S2Vs before (on my own dime) and knew they were comfy, so I ditched the Wellcos and bought my own Rockys *shrugs*.

And yea. Anything Bates is hot loving garbage.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

buttplug posted:

Always question "pass down". poo poo like that is probably why FTZ got nailed.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2017/NAV17015.txt

It says "Navy certified" but I have yet to see an enumerated list of certified dessert tan boots. Now, having just come thru ECRC Norfolk and been issued a full seabag of type III poo poo, I can tell you they are giving out Rocky S2Vs, Bellevilles, and some lovely "Wellco" brand.

Yeah, the Navy Certified line. That means it's not "any desert tan boots".

It gets rid of the old 9 inch black leather steel toe loop hole. Now there will be some stupid enumerated list, whether local or Navy wide.

And I'd rather not buy 200 dollar boots again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Yeah, the Navy Certified line. That means it's not "any desert tan boots".

It gets rid of the old 9 inch black leather steel toe loop hole. Now there will be some stupid enumerated list, whether local or Navy wide.

And I'd rather not buy 200 dollar boots again.

gently caress so if you have to wear black boots you are still stuck with only steel toe.

I dont loving need steel toe in an office.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I once saw a US WARSHIP track off the coast of San Diego with a reported length of 330-something meters and beam of 100-something meters. With a bunch of aircraft circling overhead. Real mystery what that was.

Ah the old USS GoAwayP3. I once ISARed her for an hour straight during JTFX. She sent us out 100 miles west of the box during the exercise. "Conduct sea surface control". After she radioed us for it to stop, I reminded her we existed every hour for the remaining 8 hours of our onstation with 15 minutes of pure sweet uninterrupted electromagnetic energy. Beautiful imagery

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

loving lol. Do they plan on modernizing them at all or are we sending out some more uyk-7/43 ships? And who's manning them?

I don't know the answers to those questions. That all said, I'd like to ride one and I'm an Air Wing guy. All my SWO buddies that did frigate time loved it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Boon posted:

Had the rudder and it's supporting arrangement been properly designed?
Properly manufactured?
Properly installed?
Inspected?
Maintained?
Was the steering gear being operated according to the manufacturer's specifications? Were those correct? Was the rudder matched to the steering gear (granted that would be a design flaw...)
Was the steering / helm being operated within specs?

Etc etc. Parts don't just fall off million dollar machines, especially not essential parts like a rudder. You can't just go :shobon: "those things happen!"

There's no such thing as an unavoidable accident in the civilian world, I'm not sure why their would be in the navy. I'm not saying someone should be sacked, but if the navy approaches things by the standard that "well some accidents will occur, NBD", there's your problem.

Elendil004 posted:

Interesting article on lack of sleep. That was definitely a think in the guard, I once stood 28 straight hours of watch and I basically told the Ops LT "Ok Ops, I am going to go to sleep because I just blinked and fell asleep on my feet for 15 minutes, either you take the watch or qualify my break-in he's good to go." And lo and behold my break-in got the sign of the cross.

http://taskandpurpose.com/fitzgerald-mccain-sleep-deprivation-navy/

The STCW / MLC standard for merchant mariners is no more than 14 hours of work in any 24 hours, and at least 77 hours of rest a week, with no more than two periods of rest a day, one of which has to be more than six continuous hours. Emergencies excepted, but drills count. Back in my days (:corsair:) we capped out at 16 hours a day.

For some reason this standard which applies to cargo ships flagged in landlocked countries and manned by third world crews living in near slavery absolutely cannot be implemented aboard American ships with 10 times the crew complement :shobon: