Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Carbon dioxide posted:

What do you people think of David Tennant in his new role as Scrooge McDuck in the new DuckTales? Because I think he's absolutely brilliant.

He's good but I think he sounds a bit too young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Bradley Walsh's best work was of course on the one off show He's Pasquale, I'm Walsh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

He's actually quite good. He's a little higher and more youthful sounding in voice than the original actor, but still great. And his accent is a million times better than whoever is doing Glumgold (for obvious reasons).

Glomgold is Craig Ferguson.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

Glomgold is Craig Ferguson.

Holy poo poo, wow. Ok, never mind. I thought he sounded super fake.

EDIT: Wait, no. He's voiced by Keith Ferguson, American actor.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 23, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I suspect many of the answers will be "Haven't seen it"

I haven't, but goddamn am I looking forward to Tennant in Good Omens. (Which makes two of my favorite books ever being adapted for TV/film in 2018. DO NOT gently caress THIS UP, TV/MOVIE PEOPLE).

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The only thing I've seen Tennant in other than Doctor Who is Jessica Jones, and he's absolutely perfect in that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Carbon dioxide posted:

What do you people think of David Tennant in his new role as Scrooge McDuck in the new DuckTales? Because I think he's absolutely brilliant.

New DuckTales was super fun and Tennant is great in it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh god goons think me and Jodie Whittaker are middle aged, and she has a cheesy game show host as her assistant.

It's true though, I'm so old.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
New Ducktales has a lot of Gravity Falls about it so I'm looking forward to it. My kids liked it too, so that's good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gaz-L posted:

He's a comedian, actor and TV personality, most well-known these days for hosting an extremely popular game show called The Chase, as noted, but was also on the long-running soap Coronation Street and one of the leads on Law & Order. For Americans... think if Craig Ferguson or Aisha Tyler was the new companion to get a rough idea of the sort of area this is in.

gently caress, dude, why did you have make me think of that? Now I won't be happy with anyone.

Mymla posted:

The only thing I've seen Tennant in other than Doctor Who is Jessica Jones, and he's absolutely perfect in that.

Same, though add on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire....which is where they introduced "bigger on the inside" magic...interesting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

He's actually quite good. He's a little higher and more youthful sounding in voice than the original actor, but still great. And his accent is a million times better than whoever is doing Glumgold (for obvious reasons).

Well, new Glomgold is supposedly only faking being Scottish to try and one-up Scrooge in another way. Hence why he has a bunch of young lady-ducks wearing tartan and bagpipes as his staff and wears a kilt. A KILT, MCDUCK!!!!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watched the S10 Finale again and it's still a fun trip

Simms is a gem and I wish he had been more meddling during his overall time as the Master instead of being shoved to the back of the Specials and Finales

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Vinylshadow posted:

Watched the S10 Finale again and it's still a fun trip

Simms is a gem and I wish he had been more meddling during his overall time as the Master instead of being shoved to the back of the Specials and Finales

I thought Moffat did a good job of having Missy only appear once a season, and I would have liked something similar for Simm.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Action Man posted:

I thought Moffat did a good job of having Missy only appear once a season, and I would have liked something similar for Simm.
Hm...I suppose turning the Master into the one behind the Problem of the Week would get a little tiring...

At least what little we got was alright (even with the constant undercurrent of sexual subtext)

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Vinylshadow posted:

Hm...I suppose turning the Master into the one behind the Problem of the Week would get a little tiring...

At least what little we got was alright (even with the constant undercurrent of sexual subtext)

I think even Roger Delgado pushed it a little far by showing up in EVERY STORY during Season 8, but that doesn't mean I want any less of him as The Master.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I want some little ten-minute spinoffs where Missy tries to teach the Master that he doesn't need to be such a tremendous shithead all the time. Just so I can watch them together some more.

"Now what do we do in this situation?"
"Take over the local government and then--"
"NO go to your room"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I want some little ten-minute spinoffs where Missy tries to teach the Master that he doesn't need to be such a tremendous shithead all the time. Just so I can watch them together some more.

"Now what do we do in this situation?"
"Take over the local government and then--"
"NO!" *removes the Master's organs*

FTFY

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Better, thank you

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Okay, so is anyone else watching Trust Me? Because to be honest I think Jodie’s wasted on Doctor Who. :munch:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avengers reboot looking pretty good but I'm not sure what the police box is there for.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TinTower posted:

Okay, so is anyone else watching Trust Me? Because to be honest I think Jodie’s wasted on Doctor Who. :munch:

Most Doctor Who actors were wasted on Doctor Who tbh

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Let me get in on the dumb ground floor of Bradley Walsh actually being the Valeyard. I said yesterday he was like the prototypical Doctor as far as race and age, maybe there is actually something to that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Teek posted:

Let me get in on the dumb ground floor of Bradley Walsh actually being the Valeyard. I said yesterday he was like the prototypical Doctor as far as race and age, maybe there is actually something to that.
It'd be too weird to have the point of view audience insert turn out to be a secret villain. Maybe if he was one of two companions.

If he's anyone significant my dumb guess would be that he's Romana.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The fat, as they say...

(pushes button)

The Fat Just Walks Away!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What I'd like to see, since they're reversing the age/gender dynamic, is to also play with our expectations of his backstory/attitude. You'd imagine an older guy would be sorta caught up in things, unsuited for travelling, maybe be a bit of a bumbler, a Nardole, or perhaps an over the hill guy who missed his chance to adventure when younger like Wilf and gets one last hurrah.

gently caress that, let's let him be a guy who wants to travel and have adventures and owns it like Evelyn did, even though he is older. Not necessarily a Jack style action hero, but an older guy who totally fits into adventure in time and space.

Also, maybe just maybe he's not from the Present Day?

Nah, who am I kidding, that'll NEVER happen, he'll be from 21st century London. :/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Let him be a Turlough!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

What I'd like to see, since they're reversing the age/gender dynamic, is to also play with our expectations of his backstory/attitude. You'd imagine an older guy would be sorta caught up in things, unsuited for travelling, maybe be a bit of a bumbler, a Nardole, or perhaps an over the hill guy who missed his chance to adventure when younger like Wilf and gets one last hurrah.

gently caress that, let's let him be a guy who wants to travel and have adventures and owns it like Evelyn did, even though he is older.

I agree with almost all of this except for the idea that Wilf was over the hill and missed his chance to adventure, he would have made a great companion. :mad:

I've been hoping for a long time they have more than one companion, though. It would allow them to have the present day audience insert character they want and still explore other possibilities. An industrial era factory workers, say, or a Sontaran as this era's tin dog.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well I mean we almost had Danny

But they killed him for

No real reason

And then they didn't really touch on that again.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

I agree with almost all of this except for the idea that Wilf was over the hill and missed his chance to adventure, he would have made a great companion. :mad:

I've been hoping for a long time they have more than one companion, though. It would allow them to have the present day audience insert character they want and still explore other possibilities. An industrial era factory workers, say, or a Sontaran as this era's tin dog.

I only say that because IIRC Wilf was offered the chance to go and turned it down due to age. Basically I want this guy to be "Wilf Who Said Yes."

Also :agreed: on multi companions. That's always the best dynamic, as proven greatly by last season. Plus as you say, you get the future/alien person (Steven/Turlough/Nyssa/Jack/Nardole) and then you can have the modern audience insert. Best of both worlds.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Maybe have a character from the early 1990's? That would be an interesting twist.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Astroman posted:

I only say that because IIRC Wilf was offered the chance to go and turned it down due to age. Basically I want this guy to be "Wilf Who Said Yes."

Also :agreed: on multi companions. That's always the best dynamic, as proven greatly by last season. Plus as you say, you get the future/alien person (Steven/Turlough/Nyssa/Jack/Nardole) and then you can have the modern audience insert. Best of both worlds.

The strongest parts of new who have been the multi-companion bits, with the exception of season 4, where Martha/Donna were the weaker episodes (though Martha didn't make things worse, and they were still solid overall).

Part of it's because you can have one companion who looks up to/trusts/wuvs The Doctor while the other one is a bit more cynical and wary of him. Clara trying to pull both roles is why she came off as an irritating know-it-all, since the only way to believably both trust and countermand The Doctor is to think you're as smart as them.

Plus it lets one companion wander off and be cool in a human, fallible way while The Doctor :eng101:'s at the other one. The possibility of a character screwing up without The Doctor being around to save them adds a lot of tension to stories.

ps is it The Doctor or just the Doctor I have no idea what to capitalize and it's making me twitchy

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

Well I mean we almost had Danny

But they killed him for

No real reason

And then they didn't really touch on that again.

"Hey, I'm still dead but here's a war orphan. See ya!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Maybe have a character from the early 1990's? That would be an interesting twist.

I thought Bill was going to be from the 80s way back when she was revealed, and that would have been fun. Really, someone from say, 2015, who sees what happens in the UK and America and decides "Actually, I'd like off this timeline, let's go everywhere else in time instead of me living my life through to 2017." :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Murderion posted:

ps is it The Doctor or just the Doctor I have no idea what to capitalize and it's making me twitchy

It's just 'the Doctor' in a sentence.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Hello, I'm The Doctor. First name "The," last name "Doctor."

There you go
The perfect way to screw with people

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

His name is actually Thedd Oktorr Hu.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Theta Sigma, clearly

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I watched Paradise Towers last night. I didn't remember much of it, probably because I always confuse it with The Happiness Patrol.

For a Mel story, it's not bad. I liked when the head nazi guy was possessed. And I liked how poo poo the robots were.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Theta Sigma, clearly

Considering that was his grade at the academy (and we know he barely scraped through), it smacks of strongly of the other characters calling Aaron '85' in Alien 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Sorry but it's canon

marktheando posted:

I watched Paradise Towers last night. I didn't remember much of it, probably because I always confuse it with The Happiness Patrol.

For a Mel story, it's not bad. I liked when the head nazi guy was possessed. And I liked how poo poo the robots were.

Paradise Towers is great. I can't remember which Kangs are the best, though?

• Locked thread