Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Then none is really necessary. The chicken will naturally render some fat during the cooking period, and slow cooking is essentially a long low-temperature roast, so no additional liquid is needed.

Eh, you still want to wet (or grease) the bottom a little, so the meat doesn't burn before the fat comes out. But yeah, you don't need cups of liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Roasted the poo poo out of some brocc and I can confirm that charred broccoli is the poo poo. :discourse:

Now to repeat the same with some carrots and cauliflower, and maybe some curry powder...

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for a 12.5" or larger nonstick with high sides. Ideas?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have some chunks of potato that went unused, so I put them in the veg scraps bag I'm planning to make stock out of. Will pressure-cooked potato mess up a stock if it's included?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I imagine it will pretty much fall apart.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That will definitely happen, but I'm planning on straining the stock anyway. Will it still be a problem?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I just got a tart pan with a removable bottom for free, what're some good beginner tart recipes? Anything in particular I should know about the process of tarting?

Also, does anyone have any favorite cooking blogs?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I wanted to get an olive wood pestle and mortar, like Chef John on Food Wishes uses in his videos.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find one on Amazon that didn't come with multiple complaints of splinters, cracking, poor manufacturing, or being sold an item that looked used.

So, I ordered a well-reviewed granite one. One thing I did notice was people stating that you should grind some rice, a few 1tbsp batches at a time, to help "smooth" the stone and eliminate sand in your food.

Is such this legit? I figured one of mankind's most ancient tools would be, uh, simpler.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
All stone mortars will leave a tiny bit of dust in your food. The smoother the surface, the less dust in your food. It will be imperceptibly small amounts.

Ancient people put up with it because their food probably had more dirt in it than the mortar was adding.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

That will definitely happen, but I'm planning on straining the stock anyway. Will it still be a problem?

If it's just a little I don't think it would be a problem. How much is it in how much water? Its primary effect would be thickening I'd imagine.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Pollyanna posted:

I have some chunks of potato that went unused, so I put them in the veg scraps bag I'm planning to make stock out of. Will pressure-cooked potato mess up a stock if it's included?

If it's just a couple of tiny chunks in a large volume of water, then it probably wouldn't do much more than make your stock cloudier.

If it's a lot of potato in relatively little water and is allowed to break down extensively, I suppose the possibility exists that the potatoes could thicken up the water to the point that it could present a safety hazard by clogging the release valve. Same reason some companies (like Presto) don't recommended cooking certain things (like split peas) in the pressure cooker. I'm not saying it's likely, just a possibility.

Personally, I wouldn't put potato in a stock simply because I don't see what the stock would gain from it. Potato flesh doesn't have a lot of flavor, and you could make the argument that the added starch would muddy the flavor. There's better things to do with leftover potatoes.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for a 12.5" or larger nonstick with high sides. Ideas?

How high? Like a big pot? Hit up your local Homegoods and pick up a Calphalon.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm looking to make these balls : https://minimalistbaker.com/5-ingredient-peanut-butter-cup-energy-bites/ to bring on a long bike ride.

Any good idea for wrapping them? Obvious is plastic wrap so I can wrap them individually but I find it kind of unsustainable. Maybe one ziplock back for all of them? Doesn't seem that better on the plastic side, and they risk getting mushed together...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Colonel J posted:

I'm looking to make these balls : https://minimalistbaker.com/5-ingredient-peanut-butter-cup-energy-bites/ to bring on a long bike ride.

Any good idea for wrapping them? Obvious is plastic wrap so I can wrap them individually but I find it kind of unsustainable. Maybe one ziplock back for all of them? Doesn't seem that better on the plastic side, and they risk getting mushed together...

Parchment paper. Freeze them and wrap them like saltwater taffy. By the time you're ready to eat them after your bike ride, they'll have defrosted.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I wanted to start baking more and I realized I'd save a lot of time if I could store all the dry ingredients together ahead of time. Like pre-packaged baking.

But I don't think yeast will keep at room temperature or stay alive stored in with sugar and salt, right? Is this dumb for those reasons or for other reasons I'd never considered?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeast lasts longer stored in the freezer, but I wouldn't premix it. What recipe do you want to make so often that it'd be worth premixing it?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Just a basic sandwich bread recipe. I'm saving probably a minute of time, I know, but being able to just dump a ziplock in the stand mixer feels like it makes an easy recipe even easier. Eventually I'd just like to not have to buy bread.

vermin fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 23, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mason jars?

But yeah, keep the yeast separate.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
You have three good options.

You can do what you're suggesting (but yes, store the yeast separately). This won't save much time over measuring out your flour (and dry milk, amylase, whatever your sandwich bread calls for), but you might like the idea of just dumping a ziplock bag and a predetermined amount of water into a stand mixer, then letting it run.

You can also mix everything, including the yeast, into a dough ball and then freeze it. It'll rise as you defrost it, and most of the kneading will be done already. I'd thaw it in the fridge. It'll hold for about a month, maybe longer, but make sure to seal it well. This doesn't work out super well.

The best way to preserve bread, IMO, is to parbake it. Put it in the oven and bake as normal, but take it out early. You want to let it fully form, but the crust should still be pale - this usually works out to taking it out about 10 minutes early. When you want fresh bread, stick that frozen loaf back in the oven and bake it until it has a nice dark crust, then you're done. The crust ends up a little thinner than normal and more crispy than crunchy. Some people actually prefer that texture.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have a butter question

I have cream that I tossed a couple tablespoons of buttermilk into. I let it sit 24 hours then ran a kitchenaid with whisk on it for 10 minutes. It's not separating into butter, although it's gotten thicker. Should I just call it a day and store it as is or is there some other way to get it to separate?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eeyo posted:

If it's just a little I don't think it would be a problem. How much is it in how much water? Its primary effect would be thickening I'd imagine.

Dead Of Winter posted:

If it's just a couple of tiny chunks in a large volume of water, then it probably wouldn't do much more than make your stock cloudier.

If it's a lot of potato in relatively little water and is allowed to break down extensively, I suppose the possibility exists that the potatoes could thicken up the water to the point that it could present a safety hazard by clogging the release valve. Same reason some companies (like Presto) don't recommended cooking certain things (like split peas) in the pressure cooker. I'm not saying it's likely, just a possibility.

Personally, I wouldn't put potato in a stock simply because I don't see what the stock would gain from it. Potato flesh doesn't have a lot of flavor, and you could make the argument that the added starch would muddy the flavor. There's better things to do with leftover potatoes.

It'd be like half a Russet potato. It was originally gonna be just the skins, but I had extra potato and figured that it might taste okay in stock. Then again, that doesn't really make sense. I'll leave the chunks out and use them for...something. As for cooking split pea soup in a pressure cooker, it's probably fine as long as you make sure the valve is clean afterwards.

Speaking of stock, can stock "go bad"? I still can't quite tell whether the smell of my homemade stock is just the gelatin/ingredients used or something else (I skim the fat off of stock). It didn't swell up or accumulate any air or something, so it doesn't look funny. Should I just play it safe and freeze from now on?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm embarrassed to ask, but why do my pork roasts keep coming out so dry? I'll throw it in the oven with the seasonings on it, add some water or other liquid, and then the drat thing looks good upon taking it out of the oven, but when I serve it, it's gone bone dry.

I'm not a very experienced cook, if you can't tell. But what am I doing wrong?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Are you checking the temperature of the meat at the centre (145F)? Or just going by time?

Also, I recently started brining pork loins and it has done wonders, you could try that too.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I just toss it in the oven and let it go. I'm pretty sure I don't own a meat thermometer. How do you brine a roast? Is it like marinating one?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

You need a thermometer. American pork has been made lean, which translates to it easily drying out. You need to get it out of the oven as soon as it hits 145° and that means actually measuring its internal temperature.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 24, 2017

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

Are you checking the temperature of the meat at the centre (145F)? Or just going by time?

Also, I recently started brining pork loins and it has done wonders, you could try that too.

Make sure your pork isn't salt-injected before you brine it.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

I just toss it in the oven and let it go. I'm pretty sure I don't own a meat thermometer. How do you brine a roast? Is it like marinating one?
More like soaking in a salty, sweet, aromatic bath.
https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-brine-pork-331612

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of stock, can stock "go bad"? I still can't quite tell whether the smell of my homemade stock is just the gelatin/ingredients used or something else (I skim the fat off of stock). It didn't swell up or accumulate any air or something, so it doesn't look funny. Should I just play it safe and freeze from now on?
Yes, it can go bad. If it smells bad it's gone bad. Freezing it will keep it from going bad.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

vermin posted:

Just a basic sandwich bread recipe. I'm saving probably a minute of time, I know, but being able to just dump a ziplock in the stand mixer feels like it makes an easy recipe even easier. Eventually I'd just like to not have to buy bread.

You sound like a perfect candidate for fridge bread. Recipe makes a loose dough good for about four loaves, keeps in the fridge just fine baking every day or every other day. Flavor gets better after a couple-three days in the fridge too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What's the shelf life of sichuan peppercorns?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

AnonSpore posted:

What's the shelf life of sichuan peppercorns?

A year or two, like any other whole spice.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's a good vegetable to have with meat loaf and potatoes?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I generally incorporate mushrooms, onions, carrots and cabbage directly into my meatloaf, but I think carrots or broccoli would work well as sides.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The :patriot: answer is green beans. Sauteed spinach with garlic would be as quick, but a bit healthier. Otherwise, roasted broccoli (as discussed here) or Brussels sprouts — I feel like you need a low-cal, bitter-ish green to balance the rest of the meal.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 24, 2017

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I honestly can't imagine putting cabbage into my meatloaf, but onions and mushrooms are fantastic additions.

As far as veggie sides, Brussels Sprouts, broccoli, or green beans are old standbys. Asparagus could work, maybe.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Corn!

Although I'm a sucker for roasted carrots and parsnips with meatloaf, since my meatlof is pretty savory.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Annath posted:

I honestly can't imagine putting cabbage into my meatloaf, but onions and mushrooms are fantastic additions.

As far as veggie sides, Brussels Sprouts, broccoli, or green beans are old standbys. Asparagus could work, maybe.

It works really well, it sort of disappears into everything else and just ends up adding a lot more fiber. You have to shred it finely and salt it to soften it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You're just adding fiber then. Might as well sprinkle Metamucil in it at that point.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ranter posted:

You're just adding fiber then. Might as well sprinkle Metamucil in it at that point.

No, not really. Most of the moisture, vitamins and so on also end up in there, the point is that it makes the dish healthier without hurting the flavor and texture. It also lets you get a larger loaf out of less meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pollyanna posted:

I always play it safe and freeze it, because stock is basically the perfect bacterial medium, and it will start growing things the moment it drops below boiling and is touched by air...

Actually, what I do is reduce it until it's like undiluted jelly cubes, allow it to cool in the fridge, cut it into cubes and then freeze it, so I can just grab a cube when I need one.