Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

starkebn posted:

It has to do with American not bothering to occasionally rise above that. I guess Kubo comes close if you count it, but when was the last American Ernest & Celestine / The Illusionist / Red Turtle / Ghibli-like movie / Book of Kells / Song of the Sea / etc?

Over the Garden Wall, Rango, Fantastic Mr Fox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
They're all good, I'll pay that. Rango it's pretty borderline though, and OtGW is a show, but still a good list.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Surely it hasn't been that long since An Oversimplification of Her Beauty came out?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't think it's any well-kept secret that cinematic animation is almost exclusively seen as children's entertainment in the US. Every time we get an A Scanner Darkly or a Sausage Party, everyone acts like it's so novel that it's animated, but for adults?!? 2D and 3D animation are also a lot of the general public's understanding of animation. Stop-motion is its own weird, niche section that folks don't quite consider Animation As We Know It, but a stylistic quirk. And they refer to it solely as claymation, which shouldn't bug me as much as it does.

Now integrated animation! That's seen as For Adults and isn't really considered animation. Like you will find a poo poo-ton of people who don't consider Avatar an animated movie. Things like OtGW are seen as purely children's entertainment, despite really being for a general audience in the vein of Disney animation. You try to show it to someone not already interested in animation, their first thought is "This is a cartoon and therefore for children." So maybe the industry is willing, but the public is not?

The US really does have a weird bias against enjoying animation as an adult, to the point where they deny animation is animation, it's special effects!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

did OtGW not go over well when it came out? I ask because a bunch of my friends recommended it to me and I thought it was a pretty cool, though one of my friends had to convince me to keep watching it since I was a little put off by the disconnect between the pilot and the first episode

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It went over very well with a particular group of people. I guarantee you most people have never heard of it.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Aces High posted:

did OtGW not go over well when it came out? I ask because a bunch of my friends recommended it to me and I thought it was a pretty cool, though one of my friends had to convince me to keep watching it since I was a little put off by the disconnect between the pilot and the first episode
I got really psyched for it because of the personnel (Nick Cross in particular), but I found the show itself to be underwhelming. I wasn't sure who the audience was supposed to be. It was dark, but not really all THAT dark. It was moderately charming to me, but unmemorable from the standpoint of characters or story. The background paintings were the best thing in the whole series.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The latest Overwatch animated short :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tjcm_kI0n0

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The Overwatch short is real pretty, the dialog isn't too hot but I really enjoyed it.

Blizzard also making a new animated short series for it's other casual-ish game Hearthstone that really wants to be Disney.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPguoeYTvMI

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aces High posted:

After watching King of the Hill for so many years I just think of Donald's incoherent speech like I do with Boomhauer. They both are coherent to the other characters in the show and that's a big part of the joke, I find both to be coherent enough at the right times when you absolutely need to understand what they are saying.

Though, I dunno, lots of people couldn't understand Bane because of the accent Tom Hardy was putting on mixed with whatever post-processing they were doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdyGfiIirD8

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Boomhauer, what are everyone's favorite specific line deliveries in an animated feature?

Like, which specific lines from which films do you think were done exactly right--perfectly delivered?

I'd say these count:

• You said you'd always be there for me!... but you're not...

• You all said I was crazy! Well, who's crazy now? Me--crazy prepared.

• Is this where they buried me?

• And you were mine.

• For nothing makes me happy but their... shining, and their grace.

• Yo-you wanna stay in the tower*?

* You hear me, WDAS?! :argh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My favorite is whenever a character gets hurt in a trailer and it cuts to a completely unrelated shot of someone going "THAT'S GOTTA HURT!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pick posted:

Speaking of Boomhauer, what are everyone's favorite specific line deliveries in an animated feature?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yn9RDrD3H8

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

My favorite is whenever a character gets hurt in a trailer and it cuts to a completely unrelated shot of someone going "THAT'S GOTTA HURT!"

>:(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Or do you prefer "He's gonna feel THAT in the morning!"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Most of my favourite animations is anime so its hard to pick out line readings. I did really like chief bogo's "it was already broken" line in Zootopia though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pick posted:

Like, which specific lines from which films do you think were done exactly right--perfectly delivered?

I'd say these count:

• And you were mine.

For some reason, "Fire bad. FIRE VERY BAD!" from Hotel Transylvania put me into a laughing fit.

Also, Kylie saying "Apple juice... apple juice flood." in Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Look, GonSmithe, okay, I get it.

Can I just ask, honestly and kind of upset and looking for an honest conversation about this: is saying that I'd like an action figure of a character in a movie I like really ban-worthy?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

lol

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

I'd say these count:

• And you were mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4oJhbhhRaA

"...like a little homeless lady~ :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LVXjB_VUfk

"Why aren't you seizing the boy?!"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hedrigall posted:

Look, GonSmithe, okay, I get it.

Can I just ask, honestly and kind of upset and looking for an honest conversation about this: is saying that I'd like an action figure of a character in a movie I like really ban-worthy?

Stop loving talking about anything related to liking animals in this thread, ever.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Stop loving talking about anything related to liking animals in this thread, ever.

I dunno, but it seems kind of not cool to arbitrarily slam a poster with multiple bans based on rules that aren't in the forum rules or the OP as far as I can see, especially when the alleged transgressions are as germane and harmless as 'I'd rather have merchandise of X' when the thread is currently discussing the merchandise for an animated film. I mean, if rules aren't clearly laid out and enforced fairly they're not really rules, just arbitrary post-facto rationalizations, right?

In addition, a cursory examination of the rule reveals it to seem overbroad; animals are often featured in animated films either as side characters or primary antagonists/protagonists so the rule essentially cuts out a lot of potential discussion that the thread is supposed to be about. Is that the goal, to restrict the thread to only discussing the animation of humans?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like mentioning "(any feline character)" is a clear reference to the running thing of Heid wanting to gently caress lions and poo poo.

Like, I feel like your argument would have more weight if dude had actually named a specific character.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 24, 2017

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Maybe anyone who can't understand the subtle difference between talking about cartoons with animals in them and furry fandom/"X animal type is so cool and/or sexy" should just see themselves out of the thread.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Personally, I'm totally fine with the dude who has caused multiple derails in this thread about loving cartoons having a focused rule about not doing that under threat of continued bans.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Counterpoint: In the rules of Games if you even joke about anime fans being pedophiles they will ban you unless you can provide explicit evidence against a specific poster to support your claim. I think furries should be held to the same standards, anyone who wants to accuse someone of wanting to gently caress an animal should have proof.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LeJackal posted:

I dunno, but it seems kind of not cool to arbitrarily slam a poster with multiple bans based on rules that aren't in the forum rules or the OP as far as I can see, especially when the alleged transgressions are as germane and harmless as 'I'd rather have merchandise of X' when the thread is currently discussing the merchandise for an animated film. I mean, if rules aren't clearly laid out and enforced fairly they're not really rules, just arbitrary post-facto rationalizations, right?

In addition, a cursory examination of the rule reveals it to seem overbroad; animals are often featured in animated films either as side characters or primary antagonists/protagonists so the rule essentially cuts out a lot of potential discussion that the thread is supposed to be about. Is that the goal, to restrict the thread to only discussing the animation of humans?

No, the goal is for you idiots to go to a furry forum to talk about loving animals instead of posting about it in the Animation thread because no one wants to read about how much you want to gently caress animals. It's pretty clear cut. Don't act like this is coming from nowhere.

Labes for days posted:

Maybe anyone who can't understand the subtle difference between talking about cartoons with animals in them and furry fandom/"X animal type is so cool and/or sexy" should just see themselves out of the thread.

Correct

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 24, 2017

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

GonSmithe posted:

I can't imagine being so mentally weak that someone mentioning animals in a thread about animation sends you into a rage.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, gonna be honest: every time the furry stuff comes up, this thread gets about as uncomfortable as this.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Thanks everyone for the movie recommendations and discussions over the years. This thread has helped me broaden my horizons. I've discovered some great older toons and foreign animation here.

Lots to look forward to as well: Spirited Away on the big screen with my bf tonight; Ghibli museum in Tokyo in only a few weeks; continuing my Pixar watch-through up until Coco this December; and cool looking new movies and sequels in the coming years.

Maybe I'll catch some of you in other subforums here, or elsewhere on the net. The friends I've made here, chat to you in the other places soon :)

Unmature keep up your thing, I'm still supporting you on Patreon!

Peace out.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pick posted:

[*]You all said I was crazy! Well, who's crazy now? Me--crazy prepared.

I really can't overstate how much I love this line

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

aww man it's like when Pick stopped posting in the bad webcomics thread :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

aww man it's like when Pick stopped posting in the bad webcomics thread :(

gently caress off.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I beg of you; please, whoever you are, do not gently caress lions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh, the gently caress? Most of those derails are caused by people who don't otherwise post in this thread coming in to do OMG YOU'RE SICK.

This is dumb as gently caress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Anyway I saw Your Name finally and enh.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Fangz posted:

Anyway I saw Your Name finally and enh.

I also saw this for the first time a few days ago, and had a similar reaction. The animation is good and the acting is fine but the story completely fails to do anything new or interesting. Even if people hadn't ruined it by hyping it up so much before I got a chance to see it, I would still be ambivalent about the whole thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Of his films I think it reminds me most of Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Far Below. The art covers up the cracks a bit better this time round, but the issues are similar. There's like a point at the 2/3rd mark when her messages start Mysteriously Disappearing from his phone, and they simultaneously develop the idea they love each other where it goes full Shinkai and it just grinds hard against where the earlier part of the film is going, and all the interesting character development bits just get unceremoniously dropped.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 24, 2017

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Fangz posted:

Oh, the gently caress? Most of those derails are caused by people who don't otherwise post in this thread coming in to do OMG YOU'RE SICK.

This is dumb as gently caress.

Performative furry hate is sad and played out, honestly.

(As is using mod powers to settle personal disputes. Seriously, GonSmith, drop the mod duties and go outside for a little while. You don't seem well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pick posted:

Can I just put "every single line by Kronk in The Emperor's New Groove"?

I suppose if I could pick out just one, in terms of "how funny the delivery makes it" to "how funny it is written" ratio, it would be: "Break it down? Are you kidding me? This is hand-carved mahogany."