Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Broad Street Hockey's Charlie O'Connor is going to The Athletic, which is a phenomenal move for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Kerfoot is going to Colorado.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/900411581263118336
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/900412337689174018

Easiest path to the NHL.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Jordan7hm posted:

That's what Calgary is doing.

I figured someone like Vegas would easily open their books for him. I know he could fall off the rails this year, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ginette Reno posted:

Their new play-by-play guy is kinda boring. I miss Pete Weber.

For a minute I thought Nashville had that crazy bowling guy from the 90s doing broadcast.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Well we can now safely say Kerfoot is not a winner

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

i will be sending DMs every day to the Bruins twitter account asking them to tell sweeney to sign pastrnak either until am blocked or a deal is completed. i will become a thorn in the side of management. i will be labeled internally as "a disgruntled fan"

Same but I'll talk about how much he likes to party.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

And here I thought Joe was gonna go into next season with the exact same roster and coach as last year. Free wallets, baby!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I think with Kerfoot, Colorado now has 4 NHL-ish d-men under contract.

Scratch that, I am dumb

Thufir fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 23, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

I think with Kerfoot, Colorado now has 4 NHL-ish d-men under contract.

Nope, still three. Kerfoot is a centre!

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
http://www.tsn.ca/1.836909.1503495945

RED WINGS' ATHANASIOU WEIGHING KHL OFFER #TSN

heh

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Gimme dat Duchene. :getin:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Visiting Dad at work: http://imgur.com/gallery/eMnVJKL

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aaawwwwww :3:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mike Works posted:

heh

And everyone still refuses to even consider an offer sheet. Ridiculous.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Fire Ken Holland loving immediately

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Colorado being that bad last year still astounds me. Like, sure, they are a badly constructed team. But they still have a bit of talent that, while still being in the bottom of the league, shouldn't really put them as being the worst team since the cap era began. The weird thing about all their talent like MacKinnon, Duchene, and Landeskog is that they all took gigantic steps back. What the heck!

ThinkTank posted:

A progression of:

Age 36: 61pts (55.4% of peak)
Age 37: 59 pts (53.6% of peak)
Age 38: 47 pts (42.7% of peak)
Age 39: 27 pts (24.5% of peak)

is fairly standard for a player of his age. Most players would recognize they were done after a season like Iginla just had though. Players playing beyond 38 are so rare that there isn't really enough data to suggest exactly how they would decline but it's sharp. Most players see the writing on the wall and skip town before they're a real shadow of their former selves. Even Gretzky was done at 37.

I get that Iginla wants to go out on a high and not part of the worst season by a team in modern history, but he's better off just letting go. I'm not even sure he'll be an effective contributor for Team Canada at the Olympics.

I thought this was interesting, so I checked to see how many players have actually played from their age-38 and beyond.

38: 190
39: 115
40: 60
41: 29
42: 16

It's amazing that the number gets nearly halfed every year. Mind you, the numbers are slightly skewed, because as conditioning has become better, more players are playing longer careers. Since 2000, 109 players have played until their age-38 season, compared to 81 in the previous 81 years.

I just didn't realize how rare a player playing beyond 38 was. It also made me realize how impressive Jagr's return to the NHL has been. I never would have guessed that he would be able to do the things he has done.

Also, Iginla ranks 41st out of 109 players since 2000 in PPG for players 38+.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah people talk like playing to 40 is something that's tough but attainable, but it's like living to 100. There are select examples of it happening, but for even the best conditioned individuals it's rare.

Age is a completely unavoidable part of an athlete's career, but at the same time entirely predictable in the most straightforward way. That's why signing players to multi year 35+ contracts is so crazy to me. You're essentially betting on 100 to 1 or worse odds that they'll remain even 70% effective as they were in the few years prior to that.

No matter how much you may admire a player as an athlete and an individual, there is a steep cliff after the mid 30s that with alarmingly few exceptions everyone tumbles down. It's a fact of life, and yet time and again GMs act like they've figured out the secret formula and throw huge contracts at guys who are washed up before the ink is dry.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah people talk like playing to 40 is something that's tough but attainable, but it's like living to 100. There are select examples of it happening, but for even the best conditioned individuals it's rare.

Age is a completely unavoidable part of an athlete's career, but at the same time entirely predictable in the most straightforward way. That's why signing players to multi year 35+ contracts is so crazy to me. You're essentially betting on 100 to 1 or worse odds that they'll remain even 70% effective as they were in the few years prior to that.

No matter how much you may admire a player as an athlete and an individual, there is a steep cliff after the mid 30s that with alarmingly few exceptions everyone tumbles down. It's a fact of life, and yet time and again GMs act like they've figured out the secret formula and throw huge contracts at guys who are washed up before the ink is dry.

But what if the team can justify it because they have cap space? Plus, if a player still produces* at, say, 37, why not expect that to continued for, say, 3 more years?

* sort of

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Neodoomium posted:

Fire Ken Holland loving immediately

not soon enough

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mike Works posted:

heh

This is absolutely Athanasiou's agent putting public pressure on Detroit but it should never have gotten this far.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

So the KHL season started, and Preds prospect Eeli Tolvanen scored a hat trick in his first professional game, all of them beauties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Taux3G6FE

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Colorado should send an offer sheet. It could be 3.9x4 and that'd be an overpay for AA but the compensation would only be a 2nd. Detroit doesn't have the cap space to match.

Plus, Sakic would be revered if he restarted that old rivalry.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Good for him, but I will really miss his coverage.

I've been seeing references to the Atheletic but haven't looked into it. Looks like they're shooting to corner having the best local sports news? For me, I'm at the point where everything seems to be a subscription. But on the flip side, if it's as good as say, his writing at BSH, I'll consider it.

I have bookmarked BSH, and SB Nation's blogs for the Preds and Blues, and it's just a huge difference on how much better BSH is. I couldn't tell you what it is, but if my only choice is pay for better, or have really meh articles, I'll start considering another drat subscription.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

If we lose one of the only genuinely exciting young players with pace we have because we're obsessed with giving grind liners $Texas deals with NMCs they should fold the franchise, because obviously loving firing Ken Holland isn't an option at Pizza HQ

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If I can survive Thornton, Kessel, Seguin, and Hamilton, you can survive some loving sub-30 point kid walking

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

stop giving guys like justin abdelkader 8 year contracts with nmcs

justin abdelkader is trash

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How many people on the Wings have full NMCs?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Only Frans Nielsen (2022) has a NMC.

The following players have NTCs:

Gus Nyquist (2019)
Justin Abdelkader (2023)
Darren Helm (2021)
Mike Green (2018)
Dan DeKeyser (2022)
Niklas Kronwall (2019)
Jonathan Ericsson (2020)
Trevor Daley (2020)
Jimmy Howard (2019)

That is approximately 10 too many NMC/NTCs.

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 24, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

JoelJoel posted:

I mean it's possible some teams have sent him an offer but he hasn't accepted it. You'd think such a thing would leak but you never know.

Neodoomium posted:

Gus Nyquist (2019)
Justin Abdelkader (2023)
Darren Helm (2021)
Mike Green (2018)
Dan DeKeyser (2022)
Niklas Kronwall (2019)
Jonathan Ericsson (2020)
Trevor Daley (2020)
Jimmy Howard (2019)

That's a lot of mediocre players

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

To be clear, I am not anti-NTC/NMC.

I am anti-giving them to mediocre players

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

I've been seeing references to the Atheletic but haven't looked into it. Looks like they're shooting to corner having the best local sports news? For me, I'm at the point where everything seems to be a subscription. But on the flip side, if it's as good as say, his writing at BSH, I'll consider it.

I have bookmarked BSH, and SB Nation's blogs for the Preds and Blues, and it's just a huge difference on how much better BSH is. I couldn't tell you what it is, but if my only choice is pay for better, or have really meh articles, I'll start considering another drat subscription.

I'm really interested to see what happens with their Habs coverage. Arpon Basu is a huge scoop for them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Neodoomium posted:

Gus Nyquist (2019)
Justin Abdelkader (2023)
Darren Helm (2021)
Mike Green (2018)
Dan DeKeyser (2022)
Niklas Kronwall (2019)
Jonathan Ericsson (2020)
Trevor Daley (2020)
Jimmy Howard (2019)

Lot of guys have dirt on Ken Holland, huh.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Levitate posted:

I mean it's possible some teams have sent him an offer but he hasn't accepted it. You'd think such a thing would leak but you never know.

Tru. The fact that we basically never hear about them being offered and rejected, or even rumours of them being offered makes me think gms just ignore them altogether. Which is dumb.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Duckman2008 posted:

At first I was pretty excited to see Bourne join up with The Athletic. I figured he was going to be doing NHL-wide stuff, whatever team/game/event was interesting. I enjoy his writing and his systems breakdowns are good stuff. Sadly, I think he's going to be more Toronto-centric (he was with the Marlies for.... some time?).

I don't actually know what local writers I'd be excited to see as far as New York sports go. AKAIK They don't have any NY sports writers yet.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Duckman2008 posted:

As much as I liked his coverage at The Dispatch, I'm going to have to think long and hard about dropping $50 so I can read Aaron Portzline continue to misspell words he should know how to spell for the Cleveland Blue Jackets (as The Athletic have they and OSU sorted).

Then again, I don't know who the hell is left at the paper other than Michael Arace and his occasional bordering-on-trolling articles.

Levitate posted:

That's a lot of mediocre players

Hey now, Stanley Cup hero Trevor Daley is on that list.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Zat posted:

So the KHL season started, and Preds prospect Eeli Tolvanen scored a hat trick in his first professional game, all of them beauties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Taux3G6FE

It would be rad if he turned into a good NHLer as the 30th pick. I think his draft stock fell some because he got his admission to BC rescinded for academic reasons.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey now, Stanley Cup hero Trevor Daley is on that list.

That might be the worst one. "Hey our team is probably going to be terrible for a while. Let's give a 33 year-old a 3 year deal with a NTC!"

Thufir fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 24, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

As much as I liked his coverage at The Dispatch, I'm going to have to think long and hard about dropping $50 so I can read Aaron Portzline continue to misspell words he should know how to spell for the Cleveland Blue Jackets (as The Athletic have they and OSU sorted).

The Athletic is trying to position itself as the smart, insightful Playboy-of-the-70s-of-the-Modern-Sports-World by snapping up a bunch of moderately well respected (if somewhat smug) writers, and burning through a crap ton of capital to do so. However, it's not really creating a unique niche for itself that I can see. So far, its just taken a bunch of writers that were previously free and stuck them behind a pay wall and asked consumers to pay for the privilege of getting access to them again. They act like somehow this will enable the writers they've hired to produce more content, but for the most part they were paid newspaper employees or prolific bloggers. None of them were ever particularly short on content, and I doubt the Athletic can provide more contacts to them than they had already had (aside from a few outsider bloggers who might now have media passes).

In a world of oodles of free sports information and content it seems like a risky venture, especially at the price point they're asking. They're essentially charging the same rate as a top end feature magazine but with an incredibly limited focus right now and no real reputation to speak of yet. They're expecting their subscribers to foot the bill while they promise to expand, which is what a lot of kickstarter projects have got a lot of heat for doing. If they can't quickly grow and produce award winning content, this is going to come down like a ton of bricks. It's the newspaper equivalent of paying for potential. They might have the gravitas to attract a host of incredible writers and produce some world class content, but they're just as likely to flatline or fizzle out from here. The only distinction I see from a hundred other failed online sports magazines like the Sportsnet Magazine is that they're not under the umbrella of a parent organization. That makes them seem maybe a little more free to do as they wish, but at the same time they don't have a reputation to fall back on yet.

This feels like if Netflix had launched entirely with its own content. While it might be very good at times, there's no real reason for someone to subscribe at the moment. What does the Athletic provide that a million other sports websites, blogs and twitter users don't? A freedom from corporate influence? They're funded by venture capitalists. Some well respected writers? A few, but newspapers still corner the market on that and many have moved to free versions of their content. It doesn't even have a 'hook' article series or perspective that people want like the Players' Tribune (which is free btw).

I just don't see why I'm supposed to spent $100+ a year on what's essentially a glorified blog. It's an interesting idea, but the articles I've read are no different from anything else out there. Part of me is a bit torn because I know this is an attempt to find a novel solution to the dying print newspaper industry, but man oh man are they putting the cart before the horse here.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 24, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Because he's not worth it. He's a fine player but let's not pretend he's some mega game breaking talent.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Grantland with crappier writers, a smaller focus, and a subscription fee.

On the other hand my brother charges people 5$/week to read his articles about fantasy golf so who knows what will play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Athletic will last about a year in its current format and be dead within 3.

DJExile posted:

Because he's not worth it. He's a fine player but let's not pretend he's some mega game breaking talent.

That just makes it better to offer sheet because then you only need to send back like a 3rd.

• Locked thread