Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah it was. They also just flat got some facts about Nintendo wrong in the article. They said it was founded in 1985 (about 100 years late on that) and said Zelda is the best selling franchise (it isn't -- it's about half a billion units shy of Mario).

If you're gonna have stupid click bait at least get your stupid facts correct.

E: it also wasn't deleted unless my phone has it cached

https://twitter.com/housegop/status/900484476664524805

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

quote:

The Legend of Zelda series is Nintendo’s best-selling video game franchise enjoyed by more than two generations of gamers. The action-adventure game was released in 1986, only one year after Nintendo’s founding in 1985.

And you know what else was released in 1986? Yeah, you do. The last major reform to the American tax code was signed into law in 1986.

It’s been 31 years, and our current code is far beyond repair.

House Republicans have been working for years on bold ideas to overhaul our nation’s broken tax code. Now, with the Trump administration, the House, and the Senate working together, we’re on track to take up tax reform in the fall.

SO, WHAT DOES OUR VISION LOOK LIKE?

Our vision for tax reform…

According to the National Small Business Association, 65 percent of small businesses say that federal taxes have a significant to moderate impact on the day-to-day operations of their businesses.

This is absurd considering the nearly 30 million small businesses across the country employ roughly half of the private sector workforce.

“If Washington is serious about strengthening the American economy, it is time to enact a plan that will level the playing field for American businesses by encouraging investments and job creation. Piecemeal efforts won’t get us where we need to go. We need comprehensive, permanent tax reform, and we need it now.”

-Texas small business owner Rebecca Boenigk

We’re very serious about strengthening the American economy, and we’re starting now with tax reform.

As House Republicans, we want our work to reflect your voice. So take the next 30 seconds and tell us what you want from tax reform.

If you like the idea of separating wage income from small business income, then you’ll love what else we have to say about further income tax revisions under the new Republican tax reform plan.

https://www.gop.gov/legend-zelda-american-tax-code-common/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_content=ZeldaTaxReform

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want to see Nintendo give the GOP a C&D.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

jesus christ lmao

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

LingcodKilla posted:

Conflicted. Juggalos are disgusting and unsanitary but at least they ain't picky about who becomes family.
I went doorknocking with a friend in Fredericksburg, IA for the primaries a couple of years ago. Pretty average small, rural town—seemed a tad run-down, but at least had some industry in the area to employ people. One home, however, stood out from the mild rural squalor: a dilapidated two-floor house with a giant, tattered ICP banner hanging out one of the windows. If it had ever received a coat of paint, it was so far gone that it was impossible to guess at the original color. A quarter of the siding was missing or in blatant disrepair and the yard was a tangle of weeds. Stained brown sheets were draped across every window. We would have thought it to be abandoned, but for the scrawny kid in his mid teens sitting alone on the stoop with a thousand-yard stare. He didn't look up as we strolled by.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I went doorknocking with a friend in Fredericksburg, IA for the primaries a couple of years ago. Pretty average small, rural town—seemed a tad run-down, but at least had some industry in the area to employ people. One home, however, stood out from the mild rural squalor: a dilapidated two-floor house with a giant, tattered ICP banner hanging out one of the windows. If it had ever received a coat of paint, it was so far gone that it was impossible to guess at the original color. A quarter of the siding was missing or in blatant disrepair and the yard was a tangle of weeds. Stained brown sheets were draped across every window. We would have thought it to be abandoned, but for the scrawny kid in his mid teens sitting alone on the stoop with a thousand-yard stare. He didn't look up as we strolled by.

Disaffected rural youth due to de-industrialization. As hosed as ICP is, I suppose its better than the nazi house down the way past the forest.
If the current system was working less people would be drawn to extreme groups.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Disaffected rural youth due to de-industrialization. As hosed as ICP is, I suppose its better than the nazi house down the way past the forest.
If the current system was working less people would be drawn to extreme groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjiT1ppXXq4

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Transgender ban rules are essentially out. Basic summary: "You do it, Mattis. Have fun!"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-sets-rules-for-military-transgender-ban-1503534757

quote:

WASHINGTON—The White House is expected to send guidance to the Pentagon in coming days on how to implement a new administration ban on transgender people in the military, issuing a policy that will allow Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to consider a service member’s ability to deploy in deciding whether to kick them out of the military.

The White House memo also directs the Pentagon to deny admittance to transgender individuals and to stop spending on medical treatment regimens for those currently serving, according to U.S. officials familiar with the document.

The 2½-page memo gives Mr. Mattis six months to prepare to fully implement the new ban, according to these officials.

Mr. Mattis under the new policy is expected to consider “deployability”—the ability to serve in a war zone, participate in exercises or live for months on a ship—as the primary legal means to decide whether to separate service members from the military, the officials said.

The policy was announced by President Donald Trump in a series of tweets on July 26, which effectively reinstated a ban on open transgender service that had been lifted the year before, under former President Barack Obama, in a move that also provided for military medical care for the condition known as gender dysphoria.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

He'll find a way to stall or neuter the plan long enough for lawsuits to catch up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Non-Trump news:

As everyone suspected, ISIS militants in Mosul kidnapped all of the families living in the old city and used them as human shields in their last redoubt. When the Iraqis and US leveled the city during the final push, well . . .

quote:

The local “refrigerators” at the main morgue in Mosul — two tractor-trailers parked on a lawn — are already full.

“Based on our figures,” said one Iraqi official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a taboo subject, “there are not enough refrigerators in all of Iraq.”

:smith:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Invading Iraq really was the worst idea possible wasn't it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

We're only a year away from someone enlisting to die in afghanistan that was born after 9/11.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Well it also arguably led to our current situation in Afghanistan so... yeah pretty much.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I mean invading one of the other "axis of evil "countries probably would've been worse right.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I've said it a lot, but bin laden has dictated more of our foreign policy in the last 16 years than any American has.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean invading one of the other "axis of evil "countries probably would've been worse right.

You don't HAVE to invade anyone you know...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

You don't HAVE to invade anyone you know...

The US has been in some type of conflict since the country was founded pretty much.

You're telling a hardcore drug addict they don't HAVE to shoot up.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

when did it change from department of war to defense

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

when did it change from department of war to defense

I wanna say the National Security Act of 1947

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I've said it a lot, but bin laden has dictated more of our foreign policy in the last 16 years than any American has.

https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/900151786446610433

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

We're only a year away from someone enlisting to die in afghanistan that was born after 9/11.

http://www.theonion.com/article/soldier-excited-take-over-fathers-old-afghanistan--56731

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/01/afghan-war/

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I was in junior high school when 9/11 happened. And that I was 24 when I deployed to Afghanistan with the Army. And that some of the kids there now legit don't have any memories of 2001 whatsoever.

gently caress, man. This war's going to outlive me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I had just sent in my application to the Air Force Academy right before 9/11 happened.

lmao at me

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

facialimpediment posted:

Transgender ban rules are essentially out. Basic summary: "You do it, Mattis. Have fun!"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-sets-rules-for-military-transgender-ban-1503534757

Don't 'deployability' concerns open the door for kicking pregnant women out of the military as well? Or is that just part of the plan?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Don't 'deployability' concerns open the door for kicking pregnant women out of the military as well? Or is that just part of the plan?

They (the White House) probably just chose a "military sounding" word and hit the send button. I know in the Air Force there's a lot of Airmen (some even a decade younger than me) that I wouldn't trust to sprint to the BX and back.

Edit: :tinfoil:Unless they are trying to get rid of the Air Force.:tinfoil:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can join the Guard at 17.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
I turned 18 and 9/11 happened while in bootcamp.

lmfao at me

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LordNad posted:

lmfao at me
Was it like that scene in Starship Troopers

BadOptics posted:

Edit: :tinfoil:Unless they are trying to get rid of the Air Force.:tinfoil:
Good idea.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arc Light posted:

http://www.theonion.com/article/soldier-excited-take-over-fathers-old-afghanistan--56731

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/01/afghan-war/

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I was in junior high school when 9/11 happened. And that I was 24 when I deployed to Afghanistan with the Army. And that some of the kids there now legit don't have any memories of 2001 whatsoever.

gently caress, man. This war's going to outlive me.

The Afghan war had been going on for quite literally half my life when I deployed there at the age of 24. It's weird to think about.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LordNad posted:

lmfao at me

did every DS get a simultaneous erection

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Was it like that scene in Starship Troopers

Good idea.

Nah way more lame. They pulled us out of class, let us watch tv, and let recruits from NY call home. One guy lost his father.

Overnight RTC became an armed camp though. Patrolling marines, sandbags/machine gun nest and a tank at the front gate.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

McNally posted:

You can join the Guard at 17.

You can join active at 17 but can't deploy till you hit 18. Had a 17 year old kid in my first unit who turned 18 just in time to deploy with us.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Buncha people bad at math. I said enlist in a year because it'll be 17 years next year. It'll be 2019 when our first official born after 9/11 death happens in Afghanistan.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

:psyboom:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
so texas is gonna have parts underwater soon

also another car ran over some people for kiwi herrings vigil in st louis

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

so texas is gonna have parts underwater soon

so an overall improvement

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the nazi who set up the torch rally and cried on camera a bunch just turned himself in

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Good. gently caress Texas.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Hopefully it only kills poor white people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Donald Trump doesn't care about white people.

Unless it benefits his polls.

• Locked thread