Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it's not inconsistent to repress fascism by any means necessary, unless you're a dipshit lib who believes all viewpoints are equally valid and should be tolerated no matter what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Byolante posted:

Abusing people won't encourage them to change their ways, it will just teach them to hate yours.

God forbid there be consequences for advocating genocide

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Byolante posted:

Abusing people won't encourage them to change their ways, it will just teach them to hate yours.

oh drat so its my fault the nazi is full of hate now

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
just cant fuckin win with these nazis jeez

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You would think that, but the people you are arguing with are fetishtizing violence against the ever expanding "other." They obviously aren't consistent in their beliefs and only talk about punching Nazi's because that is popular right now. I'm sure once the next Woke Woman movie comes out, they will get over it and not post about violence as often as a sociopath does.

Ha ha WHAT do you even realize what forum you're on, also double lmao for implying "Nazi" = "ever expanding other." Christ.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's not inconsistent to repress fascism by any means necessary, unless you're a dipshit lib who believes all viewpoints are equally valid and should be tolerated no matter what

But but how can I retain my moral superiority over anyone with a backbone?!?!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nazis think they're being abused because it's too hard for them to date white women.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Don't you see we gotta sit down and politely explain to Nazis that black people aren't actually golems shaped from clay by the perfidious Jew

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nazis think they're victims because they're having a sliver of the violence they wish to inflict upon the already marginalized brought upon them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Taintrunner posted:

Nazis think they're victims because they're having a sliver of the violence they wish to inflict upon the already marginalized brought upon them.

how do you know it's not innocent soccer moms that want death to the jews and blacks youre hitting................ or little girls!!!!!!!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what im saying every last one of u who thinks its a short hop from hitting literal actual nazis to extermination of the non liberals can ride the slippery slope up my greasy rear end in a top hat

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Goons who fetishise righteous violence against political opponents refuse to acknowledge that "nazi" is a weasel word ITT

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the trump tutelage posted:

Goons who fetishise righteous violence against political opponents refuse to acknowledge that "nazi" is a weasel word ITT

shut the gently caress up, Nazi

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ahahahah weasel words i havent heard that in a long time

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

the trump tutelage posted:

yes we should be uphold how careful this thread has been treating semantics

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

ahahahah weasel words i havent heard that in a long time

I used it earlier today in my epic, one-of-a-kind take down of Neo-liberal tax policy.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

get that OUT of my face posted:

staying true to my word, i got an email from medium this morning urging me to read a group of articles. i didn't get past the first one, provocatively titled "10 Reasons Why Bernie Sanders Must Be Stopped." googling tells me that this is all he's written about on medium for a while and that this is his twitter bio

not even a blue checkmark to his name, but give it time

i assume this guy is a 4 donutstar general in the neoliberal asshat army

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You would think that, but the people you are arguing with are fetishtizing violence against the ever expanding "other." They obviously aren't consistent in their beliefs and only talk about punching Nazi's because that is popular right now. I'm sure once the next Woke Woman movie comes out, they will get over it and not post about violence as often as a sociopath does.

I'm glad that you've found a safe space to jerk yourself off over feeling victimised by a creation of your mind, rather than anything being discussed in this thread.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tokamak posted:

I'm glad that you've found a safe space to jerk yourself off over feeling victimised by a creation of your mind, rather than anything being discussed in this thread.

I'm not victimized in anyway whatsoever, I'm just calling out people who wish they were so they could "bash the fash" and then everyone at the safe-space parade will start clapping.

It's a high school revenge fantasy and it's embarrassing to encourage.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm not victimized in anyway whatsoever, I'm just calling out people who wish they were so they could "bash the fash" and then everyone at the safe-space parade will start clapping.

somebody at a "safe space parade" was killed you loving dumbass

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ppl are on to the fact that the safe space thing is 100% projection 100% of the time right

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

How is it possible to be this white and comfortable, this utterly infantile, that you think people who don't like actual Nazis marching in the streets are really just still mad at jocks

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I'm not sure why you are bothered by a clapping parade to see the next woke woman movie to be honest.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tokamak posted:

I'm not sure why you are bothered by a clapping parade to see the next woke woman movie to be honest.

Turned out the women only screenings of wonder woman were illegal lol

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Crane Fist posted:

How is it possible to be this white and comfortable, this utterly infantile, that you think people who don't like actual Nazis marching in the streets are really just still mad at jocks

How sheltered do you have to be to think that this is a recent phenomenon? White supremacists have never stopped marching or doing events. The only difference with this recent one is that they drove in from all over the nation instead of being the poorly attended mess of 5-25 local idiots being caged off from a shitton of counterprotesters.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

how sheltered do you have to be to be alarmed that first neonazi gatherings have grown from small gatherings of 5-25 people to 100s or 1000s with many untold 1000s more supporters basically everywhere on the internet that has comments within a few short years

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

and one of them tried to kill 20 people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think this is sometimes the case, but definitely not always. At least in my case, I was sort of radicalized by being directly exposed to a lot of actual "high finance" employees (investment bankers, etc) during college (as a finance major myself). What radicalized me wasn't so much a sense that these people were really terrible or anything (they were actually fun to hang out with), but more the impression that their circumstances inherently made them harmful. Like, it's almost impossible for someone to immerse themselves in that sort of environment and not become toxic to society's well being. Even people in that sort of environment who genuinely mean well lose touch with "regular people" and end up proposing solutions that wouldn't actually help. Basically, I came away from the whole experience with the general impression that rich people aren't evil caricatures, but that the mere fact of "being wealthy" fundamentally corrupts people, regardless of how good their intentions might be.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Byolante posted:

Turned out the women only screenings of wonder woman were illegal lol

Illegal Wonder Woman screenings. Hmm.. interesting. What else immediately springs to mind?

*writes on notepad*

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Call Me Charlie posted:

How sheltered do you have to be to think that this is a recent phenomenon? White supremacists have never stopped marching or doing events. The only difference with this recent one is that they drove in from all over the nation instead of being the poorly attended mess of 5-25 local idiots being caged off from a shitton of counterprotesters.

That's uh

That's a really bad comeback

I mean think about it for ten seconds

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Another thing to keep in mind regarding the Nazi/alt-right people is that those movements tend to have a threshold of sorts. Like, there's very little transition between "relatively trivial and uninfluential" and "a big deal." Things end up hitting a point where a bunch of more risk-averse fascist-types feel the group is big enough that they can safely participate without repercussions. For every person who is currently willing to march with the white supremacists, there are probably many more who would be willing to march if they felt the movement was bigger and they could do so without any repercussions. The same goes for violence. A lot of Nazi folks currently aren't willing to commit violence because they don't feel they could get away with it, but the moment a big enough riot broke out that they felt like they wouldn't be caught, a lot of these guys would totally be willing to do some terrible stuff.

edit: Basically the point here is that you won't necessarily have the opportunity to gradually watch things become worse and step in before they get too bad. It's best to just squash this stuff before it can reach the point that more people become emboldened.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 08:07 on Aug 24, 2017

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

and one of them tried to kill 20 people.

first you stop nazis from killing people in the name of white supremacy and then what? you stop normal trump supporters from killing people? soon you're going to stop people who accidentally use homophobic slurs from killing people

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Crane Fist posted:

That's uh

That's a really bad comeback

I mean think about it for ten seconds

the only difference is their participation appears to have increased 100-fold in the course of a decade geez hysteria much

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

Another thing to keep in mind regarding the Nazi/alt-right people is that those movements tend to have a threshold of sorts. Like, there's very little transition between "relatively trivial and uninfluential" and "a big deal." Things end up hitting a point where a bunch of more risk-averse fascist-types feel the group is big enough that they can safely participate without repercussions. For every person who is currently willing to march with the white supremacists, there are probably many more who would be willing to march if they felt the movement was bigger and they could do so without any repercussions. The same goes for violence. A lot of Nazi folks currently aren't willing to commit violence because they don't feel they could get away with it, but the moment a big enough riot broke out that they felt like they wouldn't be caught, a lot of these guys would totally be willing to do some terrible stuff.

I want to carve this into the moon with a giant laser

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

the only difference is their participation appears to have increased 100-fold in the course of a decade geez hysteria much

I mean when you really think about it, what's the difference between 25 nazis and 300? Their basic argument is the same!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Al! posted:

how sheltered do you have to be to be alarmed that first neonazi gatherings have grown from small gatherings of 5-25 people to 100s or 1000s with many untold 1000s more supporters basically everywhere on the internet that has comments within a few short years

Did you miss my point where they drove in from all over the country? This isn't anything new.

quote:

Matthew Hal, leader of the white supremacist group World Church Of The Creator, spoke to about 70 supporters inside a library while police officers in riot gear separated shouting groups of his supporters and (hundreds of) antiracist protesters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/13/us/white-supremacists-rally-in-york-pa.html

quote:

Neo-Nazi skinheads and anti-racist anarchists fought in the streets yesterday in this central Pennsylvania city still feeling the aftermath of deadly race riots 32 years ago.

One anti-racist was run down when a skinhead, cornered in an alleyway, tried to barrel his way through a mob of counter-demonstrators. The white, Ford pickup truck carried the young man on its fender for almost 20 feet before he landed in an alley.

(...)

Police said 25 people were arrested, most for disorderly conduct, during a day of street attacks that began shortly after 9 a.m. as the city geared up for a speech by the leaders of several white supremacist groups.

"They're using York city as a fighting ground," said state police Maj. Henry Oleyniczak.

Police said 17 of those arrested were out-of-state residents and included the driver of the pickup truck. Guns were confiscated from two neo-Nazis.

The day began with random attacks on vehicles with decals or plates suggesting membership in far-right groups and escalated after a series of fistfights between skinheads and counter demonstrators.

http://old.post-gazette.com/regionstate/20020113yorkriot0113p5.asp

And that was the first result when I searched 'white supremacists rally' with a filter from 1996 to 2004

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh you're right now there are more of them and they're more mobile and organized drat man, look at this cool headed voice of reason over here

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

just admit you made an incredibly dumb argument and move on jfc

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

for some reason I don't feel any less inclined to advocate violence against fascists and neonazis

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. It seems like you're saying because nazis have always been around, everything is fine and it doesn't matter their numbers are increasing and they're more likely to turn up for marches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

just admit you made an incredibly dumb argument and move on jfc

This should be the thread title now that fuzzyskinner stopped posting

• Locked thread