Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you know what else was rushed together in 18 months? Fallout: New Vegas. Makes you think

Look it's unfair to compare mass effect to actual good games, furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you know what else was rushed together in 18 months? Fallout: New Vegas. Makes you think

Oh you mean that game I can't play for more than 20 minutes without it hard crashing in the middle of what I'm doing no matter what even with mods and fixes to try and mitigate that

Wow I never would have guessed

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Look it's unfair to compare mass effect to actual good games, furthermore

They did take a functioning game engine and manage to riddle it full of bugs along the way, which is impressive in a way.

e: \/\/ jokes either way but the point is New Vegas isn't quite a like-for-like comparison.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 23, 2017

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Alchenar posted:

a functioning game engine

uh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't wait for the entirely 100% new engine for TES6 where items on a table still start to hover in the air when you pick other things up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I can't wait for the entirely 100% new engine for TES6 where items on a table still start to hover in the air when you pick other things up.

Same but add npcs with spinning heads or I'm loving out

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Alchenar posted:

They did take a functioning game engine and manage to riddle it full of bugs along the way, which is impressive in a way.

That was actually Bethesda since they were suppose to handle the QA, but funny enough the build that Obsidian sent in was less buggy than the one we ended up getting. :v:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Burkion posted:

Oh you mean that game I can't play for more than 20 minutes without it hard crashing in the middle of what I'm doing no matter what even with mods and fixes to try and mitigate that

Wow I never would have guessed

turn your computer on

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

love to pick up an apple and have a clay jug spin off the table like a goddam grenade and peg me in the face for 1000000000 damage

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

That has never happen to me in Skyrim Oblivion or Morrowind

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I had weird physics issues like that once, I think, but then capped my frame rate. The physics is tied to frame rate which is the cause of those kinds of bugs.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

Runs fine (now) on Xbox. Weird. :)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
New Vegas pros: masterclass in verisimilitude, each and every quest and character ties in to an overarching theme in a way that few other games have even attempted much less pulled off, writing is tight and memorable, succeeds in making its internal mythology seem real and impactful

New Vegas cons: pretty buggy and some of the faces look ugly

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Norns posted:

That has never happen to me in Skyrim Oblivion or Morrowind

Just youtube skyrim cart. You'll see tons of examples of rear end in a top hat physics.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

orange juche posted:

You don't boil pretzels. Someone is stupid but it isn't me.

You're such a loving moron you googled how pretzels are made and STILL came back with the wrong answer holy poo poo. Holy poo poo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm eating a hotdog with ghost pepper mustard it's loving good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Gamebryo engine is like a used textbook where you peel off the mountain of price stickers to reveal the original still underneath. There is still legacy code for Oblivion and FO3 in fallout 4

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pattonesque posted:

New Vegas cons: pretty buggy and some of the faces look ugly
Upon replay, faces do have a bit of that old Oblivion potato quality.

But seriously, I crashed more often playing unmodded Fallout 3 (and I barely even got through 1/3 of the game before I quit) than I have NV. Obsidian just has a reputation for buggy games, so confirmation bias for taking note kicks in.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Gamebryo engine is like a used textbook where you peel off the mountain of price stickers to reveal the original still underneath. There is still legacy code for Oblivion and FO3 in fallout 4

The gamebryo engine is like ever more shiny tarp being wrapped around the same rotting maggot-ridden corpse.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

im cute posted:

love to pick up an apple and have a clay jug spin off the table like a goddam grenade and peg me in the face for 1000000000 damage

If you, or anyone else ever tries to take that away from me I will loving cut you/them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The gamebryo engine is like ever more shiny tarp being wrapped around the same rotting maggot-ridden corpse.

A fancy suit on a rotting body that's spent a week floating face down getting nibbled by fishes and now washed up and the gulls are having a go at it.

But the suit isn't even all that fancy and the more time you spend looking at it the faster you realize it was one of those cheapo bargain bin 3 piece suit jobs that looks like plastic with stitching guaranteed to come undone.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Assuming I enjoyed the first three games quite a bit... Is Andromeda worth getting on sale for the singleplayer? Or am I better off pretending the series ended with 3?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You dipped your wiener in the beaver and got a burning sensation? :ohdear:.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanatosian posted:

Assuming I enjoyed the first three games quite a bit... Is Andromeda worth getting on sale for the singleplayer? Or am I better off pretending the series ended with 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lwFyWsNjGY

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Better off pretending. Andromeda's not a standout on its own merits, and it leaves a bunch of loose ends for the DLC and sequel that will never come.

It's bad, boring, and doesn't even have the courtesy to wrap up proper.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think this 3 minutes contains every interesting animation in the entire game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

Ask yourself this: "If this game didn't have Mass Effect in the prefix would I still want to play it?".

If you still want to play it go look for a copy under 10 bucks in some bargain bin.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Thanatosian posted:

It's got everything you loved about mass effect - shooty bits and lots of bugs! The only things it lacks are a decent story, characters, a familiar and interesting setting, moral dilemmas, a well-thought-out universe and technology, choices with consequences, legitimate role playing, and a sense of progression. Oh, and the voice acting is awful and the writing behind the dialog is worse than ever. Also, the quests are almost all horrible fetch quests, the travel system is complete bullshit, the interface is one of the worst you will ever use, and there are tons of dangling plot threads that will never be resolved.

Other than that, go for it!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You dipped your wiener in the beaver and got a burning sensation? :ohdear:.

Indeed I did

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To be fair the game is in a familiar setting (because they just moved everything to Andromeda), threw out the well-thought-out universe the further they went from the first game, rolled consequences into your war score and bad endings in ME3 and there never was much "role playing".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's pretty impressive that they managed to kill a really popular and hyped video game franchise

Didn't see that coming

Also my favorite gamer food is combos. Keeps your fingers clean so you can keep gaming

Did they ever fix combos in this game

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Combos are loving disgusting

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Norns posted:

Combos are loving disgusting

The pizza flavored ones are a lie. Anything that claims to be flavored like pizza is loving trick, never fall for it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

The pizza flavored ones are a lie. Anything that claims to be flavored like pizza is loving trick, never fall for it.

Oh you mean tomato powder and oregano flavor?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The pizza ones taste like barf but the pretzel & cheddar is pretty good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:objection:

Pizza-flavoured Smiths Chips in Australia were loving delicious and I will forge a blood pact with any dark god that would see them return to store shelves.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

orcane posted:

To be fair the game is in a familiar setting (because they just moved everything to Andromeda)

Granted. But everything feels like a pastiche of the original, not a continuation that might give more insight into the cultures that are involved.

quote:

threw out the well-thought-out universe the further they went from the first game

Granted. But in a way all of the mass effects after the first one did this to some extent, but not as far gone as this one. So if you liked ME2 and ME3's tendency to ignore the established world, you'll love this one.

quote:

then rolled consequences into your war score and bad endings in ME3

Sure, but at least some aspects carried over, and you had the ability to, for instance, insult people to the point where you were on bad terms with them or help people to the point where they might assist you when they otherwise wouldn't. That doesn't happen in MEA at all.

quote:

and there never was much "role playing".

Again, you could at least be a hardass who makes tough choices or a hero who always does the honorable thing, or something in between. In MEA your only option is how snarky your delivery is of your pre-determined outcome.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

game dead so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:objection:

Pizza-flavoured Smiths Chips in Australia were loving delicious and I will forge a blood pact with any dark god that would see them return to store shelves.

Moon food doesn't count as real food, idiot