Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

necrotic posted:

same as xml or a dumb soap-as-json. Encoding types and trusting them by default is dumb as poo poo anywhere.

xml doesn't specify, as part of the standard spec, a way to embed arbitrary serialised objects in any xml file. you can't deserialise a random object by accident if you use xml: you know that the only things a file contains are the specific things your schema is expecting.

yaml does define embedding arbitrary objects, and there have been plenty of rce vulnerabilities that resulted directly from that unspeakably dumb design flaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

JewKiller 3000 posted:

actually, xml > csv > json > yaml

deuteroshaggar was right

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol if your ini files don’t live in S:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fart simpson posted:

old man yells at cloud?

I'm basically the guy in that cartoon saying "you kids and your cloudy computers and googly maps" to a coworker responding "steve you're like 3 years older than me"

edit: it's me

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 24, 2017

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
why are mysql error messages so crap. naming the column "to" isnt allowed ok fine but frikkin tell me that when i gently caress it up thanks

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i don't know what magical land of unicorns and roses y'all live in that has schemas to validate xml against, but i can assure you that in the real world the xml documents you receive will be just as arbitrary as some random yaml file

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i quite like protocol buffers

because they're basically impossible to create by hand, so there's always a definition for them somewhere that outlines the boundaries of the api. it's not always a comprehensive description of what is actually expected and returned in various cases, but it is at least a workable baseline.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

redleader posted:

i don't know what magical land of unicorns and roses y'all live in that has schemas to validate xml against, but i can assure you that in the real world the xml documents you receive will be just as arbitrary as some random yaml file

I once sent someone a schema that was just
<some wrapper poo poo> <xs:any>

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

don't get me wrong, i *like* xml (and its bastard children xpath and xslt)

i just don't think most people care about ensuring their input is well-defined - see e.g. json, the proliferation of dynamic langs, ...

it is nice being able to wave a mutually-agreed schema in someone's face when their poo poo is malformed

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

it's crunch time on a fantastically critical but poorly-managed project. as is traditional, i'm rubber stamping some truly awful code through in reviews (when we actually do reviews), and writing some utter poo poo that mostly works in many cases - unless you hit this or that edge condition, or an error happens

this is complicated by another guy, who keeps dropping half or mostly broken code on me, apparently under the impression that no syntax errors = good to go

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

actually, xml > csv > json > yaml

CSV is pretty much the worst data format possible. It's even more laxly specified than URI querystrings.

This:
code:

Which is just \r\n\r\n

is technically one of:
  • two single-column rows with empty strings as values
  • a single column-row with an empty string as a value and an empty string for a title/key
  • three single-column rows with empty strings as values
  • two single-column rows with empty strings as values and an empty string for a title/key

which one it is depends on the parser implementation, since even the shittiest CSV RFC allows this ambiguity by design.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tab separated value is sort of ok

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sapozhnik posted:

tab separated value is sort of ok

0x1e is the only correct separator value

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I once sent someone a schema that was just
<some wrapper poo poo> <xs:any>

thats basically what .net does for a lot of its poo poo.

i was tasked for writing a client that pulled xml from some location and it was all serialized DataSet objects and the guy who wrote it originally got made at me because "its just a STANDARD xml dataset object"

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
that was the only time i told someone to "suck my dick" in my professional career

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

thats basically what .net does for a lot of its poo poo.

i was tasked for writing a client that pulled xml from some location and it was all serialized DataSet objects and the guy who wrote it originally got made at me because "its just a STANDARD xml dataset object"

one of the EHRs I integrate w/ is like that and it sucks. Their "API" is basically a service that returns serialized datasets which means its totally up to whoever wrote the sql as to what column names and types will be. there is pretty much no naming consistency across all the different methods. its horrible.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

redleader posted:

it's crunch time on a fantastically critical but poorly-managed project. as is traditional, i'm rubber stamping some truly awful code through in reviews (when we actually do reviews), and writing some utter poo poo that mostly works in many cases - unless you hit this or that edge condition, or an error happens

this is complicated by another guy, who keeps dropping half or mostly broken code on me, apparently under the impression that no syntax errors = good to go

Spoiler alert: you will regret this lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'll also regret being out of work because we didn't ship a product before the money people lost patience

life is full of regrets

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i think it was nbsd who said that a hobby becomes a job the moment somebody else imposes their goals and/or their timelines on you

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

one of the EHRs I integrate w/ is like that and it sucks. Their "API" is basically a service that returns serialized datasets which means its totally up to whoever wrote the sql as to what column names and types will be. there is pretty much no naming consistency across all the different methods. its horrible.

i integrate with an api that returns a string of encoded xml wrapped inside of real xml. i wonder about people sometimes.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Soricidus posted:

xml doesn't specify, as part of the standard spec, a way to embed arbitrary serialised objects in any xml file. you can't deserialise a random object by accident if you use xml: you know that the only things a file contains are the specific things your schema is expecting.

yaml does define embedding arbitrary objects, and there have been plenty of rce vulnerabilities that resulted directly from that unspeakably dumb design flaw

huh. i'd never poked at the spec but always assumed the dumb type poo poo was a layer on top (like with xml).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vscode is now x64, and continues to own surprisingly much. visual studio is slowly growing on me too, even though i miss intellij

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaggar posted:

swashbuckle works great. also web service integration works great in vs so idk what you're on about

just spent this morning adding swashbuckle to my api and documenting it
can confirm

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

vscode is now x64, and continues to own surprisingly much. visual studio is slowly growing on me too, even though i miss intellij

the one thing i miss from an ide is suggested fixes for problems. otherwise it's good though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

the one thing i miss from an ide is suggested fixes for problems. otherwise it's good though

i don't use it for actual deving, but its nice to janitor some textable files up

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

i integrate with an api that returns a string of encoded xml wrapped inside of real xml. i wonder about people sometimes.

an offshore team's idea of a message format is html scraped off a page, wrapped in cdata and bundled into an xml blast that just has a node named "data" also they can't send you just messages for your system because they don't know what consumer a message is for (because it's in the scraped html they can't parse properly themselves and isn't consistent between consumers because every page is some bespoke poo poo with its own mess of spelling errors) so you are expected to read every message off the bus and parse the whole thing to check if it's relevant

i told them that their solution was terrible and refused to use it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

InfrastructureWeek posted:

Spoiler alert: you will regret this lol

oh, i know this very well, especially since there's a decent chance i'll end up maintaining the whole mess. but,

Sapozhnik posted:

i'll also regret being out of work because we didn't ship a product before the money people lost patience

life is full of regrets

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

an offshore team's idea of a message format is html scraped off a page, wrapped in cdata and bundled into an xml blast that just has a node named "data" also they can't send you just messages for your system because they don't know what consumer a message is for (because it's in the scraped html they can't parse properly themselves and isn't consistent between consumers because every page is some bespoke poo poo with its own mess of spelling errors) so you are expected to read every message off the bus and parse the whole thing to check if it's relevant

you win.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i just wish visual studio wasn't so retarded when it comes to handling folders. like it has no concept at all what a "folder" is and just uses its own dumb filter thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HoboMan posted:

just spent this morning adding swashbuckle to my api and documenting it
can confirm

its great cause it pulls the documentation from the existing comments in ur code.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

anyone here use ROS? it's supposed to be good for controlling robot stuff i guess.

i used a package where one of the services serialized a dense voxel volume and sent it out as an int array, which would occasionally smack into ROS's hardcoded 1 GB message size limit.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

its great cause it pulls the documentation from the existing comments in ur code.

oh man I am going to set this up so that someone has to deal with my comments of "todo: wtf" when they go looking for docs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ok so say I've done ten checkins to my branch on TFS/TFVC, to accomplish one or two overall changes or action items or whatever you wanna call them

I merge from main to my branch to get any changes, fix conflicts, and do one more checkin, then I merge from my branch to main and checkin

is there any way for my checkin comment on that last merge to be anything other than "merge from dev-jrn"? like a trail to the changesets that contributed to the merge?

i don't know wtf i'm doing in this UI, too used to git log

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 24, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

redleader posted:

what's best are XML files that are obviously composed by string manipulation that wind up using invalid syntax for things like tag names

and then get deployed to production that way with like a three month turnaround for any changes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

make them write a regex to parse the HTML

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

oh man I am going to set this up so that someone has to deal with my comments of "todo: wtf" when they go looking for docs

does this not just happen automatically in your IDE?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

......what

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Glorgnole posted:

anyone here use ROS? it's supposed to be good for controlling robot stuff i guess.

i used a package where one of the services serialized a dense voxel volume and sent it out as an int array, which would occasionally smack into ROS's hardcoded 1 GB message size limit.

haven't used it myself but I know a lot of people who like it but idk it's an os so it's probably a pos

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bloody posted:

haven't used it myself but I know a lot of people who like it but idk it's an os so it's probably a pos
yeah it's a pos

tinkered with it a bit with turtlebots and hooboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I'm completely serious. the application it's from is basically a form for requesting access to other apps but rather than have, idk, a generic data model in which to fit collections of possible app roles they have html stored in a database that the vomit onto the page per application and then barf the whole lot back at the backend on submit and do.... Something but mostly just seem to store the entire thing as text. I think that when you view a request it's actually just dumping that html blob back into the ui each time. this means there's zero consistency in the data that's actually stored for anything

it's insane

eschaton posted:

make them write a regex to parse the HTML

posted it before but I have seen someone write their own xml parser using regex in c# because..... gently caress I have no idea

• Locked thread