Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Bhabhi you planning on starting to sell pedals ever? That's half the reason I want to start building. Capitalism makes me rock hard.

Tryin'. Selling clones of things to friends and locals while I work on tweaking an original circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Tryin'. Selling clones of things to friends and locals while I work on tweaking an original circuit.

Nice! If you were in central Florida I'd offer to help you with whatever I could while subtly stealing your knowledge.

Seriously your posts ignited my interest in building again. I need to dig out my tonereport or whatever project boost I have. That poor lonely breadboard :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nice! If you were in central Florida I'd offer to help you with whatever I could while subtly stealing your knowledge.

Seriously your posts ignited my interest in building again. I need to dig out my tonereport or whatever project boost I have. That poor lonely breadboard :(

DIY Stompboxes (Unofficial) on Facebook. Between that group and Craig Anderton's Electronic Projects for Musicians book, you'll get all the support you need.

I have no idea why it's "unofficial."

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It came out of the diystompboxes.com forum, but isn't officially affiliated with the site

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I have a noobish question for the thread.

I have a Nux Mod Core effect with stereo out
https://www.amazon.com/NUX-Mod-Core-Modulation-Effects/dp/B00W3K8OFI

If I plug a 6.35 mono to 3.5 stereo adapter like this

in the main output in order to plug a stereo headphone for example, there's a very significant volume drop.

It doesn't happen when plugging in the right audio output though.

What could cause this ?

e: nevermind after many tests with various combinations of TS/TRS cables I can tell it's a faulty unit as the main/left output sounds completely muffled in the lows and mids.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 25, 2017

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Every single shop in Switzerland just jacked up the price of the Big Sky by 50 bucks. gently caress my life. This has me thinking about alternatives again just as a matter of principle, gently caress those fuckers.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
poo poo is way over priced and, for my money, it's not worth it because most people don't care or notice the difference.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TC verbs are just as good and cheaper.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't think anything will get close to the Big Sky without just buying one. They are overpriced of course, I guess. I've seen tons of people skirt around the fact that they want a Big Sky by buying 4-5 other reverbs and they should have just gone for it in the first place.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Also, those people who don't even have an fx loop or, barring that, stereo amps setup. Why would you spend all that money on a Big Sky and run it mono into a preamp?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I mean I'm ok with it being expensive, overpriced, whatever, but jacking up the price of a four year old device is just not on ffs

Also, I think a good effect sounds is a good effect, doesn't really matter if it's mono or stereo imo. Really unsure about my reverb choices now though, fuckkkk

Maybe just spending all that cash on a Flint plus a Transmisser would be smarter (lol)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wengy posted:

I mean I'm ok with it being expensive, overpriced, whatever, but jacking up the price of a four year old device is just not on ffs

Also, I think a good effect sounds is a good effect, doesn't really matter if it's mono or stereo imo. Really unsure about my reverb choices now though, fuckkkk

Maybe just spending all that cash on a Flint plus a Transmisser would be smarter (lol)

Sending a really high quality stereo reverb you paid a shitload of money for into the front of a high gain Marshall? What?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Running stereo delay into two Amps that are miced up to the same pa

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If I owned a Big Sky I would stick it in the loop of my OR15 like any other reverb and be quite happy probably :shrug:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boss RV500 is out now.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Sending a really high quality stereo reverb you paid a shitload of money for into the front of a high gain Marshall? What?

Nah I mostly play clean, sort of fendery tones, and I think the BS would sound really good. But it is overkill, of course, I mean it's basically overkill for anyone who isn't a pro or at least a semi-professional musician...

The RV-500 is indeed cool, gotta check it out. If only it weren't so drat ugly.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

You can never have too much overkill.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

If I owned a Big Sky I would stick it in the loop of my OR15 like any other reverb and be quite happy probably :shrug:

if i owned a big sky i'd be the coolest youth pastor in my contemporary worship church group

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

90% of my taste in gear makes me feel like a worship guitarist.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

TC verbs are just as good and cheaper.

Their Toneprint app is awesome and you can really push the limits of their HoF far beyond the factory presets

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Bought a HoF and a Flashback Triple a few years back. Never really got into them, they never really sounded quite right to me. Then I set up my effects loop and now they sound exactly how I want them to sound. Moral of the story is, I'm a dumbass.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
So I'm getting back into bass guitar after a long hiatus and selling off all my gear. I am mostly interested in effects. For the sake of price and space, I'm considering using my iPad as I have heard many good things about running it as an effects processor. What apps would you goons recommend for this purpose? I don't give a drat about amp modeling or anything like that. I want fuzzes, filters, bitcrushers, ring mods, delays, octavers, stuff to make synthy sounds.

Edit: I really don't want to end up spending $700 on an Eventide H9 or a huge stomp box collection, although if it ends up being cheaper to do it that way that is a sacrifice I must make.

Deific Presence fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 27, 2017

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Do you mean as a real time processor? Amplitube(definitely on iPad as a standalone thing) can get you some of the way towards weird synthiness but I always found Guitar Rig (unsure if useable on iPad) had a better variety of "weird poo poo".

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Just picked up a used lexicon mx200 to fill a rack slot and to mess around with at home but when I set it up all I get is a hum and the only time it makes any other noise is a loud pop/crack when I hit the 'audition' button. Anyone have any experience with these things? Running it through the effects loop so it shouldn't be a line level issue.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
If I want a boost.... do I just buy an OD808 and turn the gain to zero, or do I buy an actual clean boost?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Professor Science posted:

If I want a boost.... do I just buy an OD808 and turn the gain to zero, or do I buy an actual clean boost?

Get a good boost. I recommend a ZVex SHO clone (cheap and easy to make and sound AMAZING).

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=sho%20clone

I'm selling clones for $50+shipping, if interested. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbrTIoxJcA

edit: Also, look at an EP Booster, EHX Soul Food, Wampler Tumnus, etc.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 28, 2017

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Schwza posted:

Just picked up a used lexicon mx200 to fill a rack slot and to mess around with at home but when I set it up all I get is a hum and the only time it makes any other noise is a loud pop/crack when I hit the 'audition' button. Anyone have any experience with these things? Running it through the effects loop so it shouldn't be a line level issue.

I do. Any specific questions? Yours sounds broken, it should be basically plug and play and all the knobs do what they seem like they would. Are you getting lights and display?

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

JamesKPolk posted:

I do. Any specific questions? Yours sounds broken, it should be basically plug and play and all the knobs do what they seem like they would. Are you getting lights and display?

The lights all light, the tempo button seems to work when i set it. I'm fairly certain it's an internal issue after reading more. Here is to hoping I can get my money back!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hmm I'd thought maybe it was power-related if it was humming (mine runs very cool and quiet) but who knows. Best of luck!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i got an MXR micro amp a while back and I don't use it much but it's a cheap, good sounding clean boost.

I have heard great things about the Super Hard On though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Comedy Klon recommendation

Klonedy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm obsessed with my EQD Arrows. One knob, tightens the lows, pushes the high mids a bit, adds just the right amount of treble to cut through. It's a beauty.

I'm definitely grabbing a Tumnus someday. Those are killer and I've never heard a bad thing about them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm obsessed with my EQD Arrows. One knob, tightens the lows, pushes the high mids a bit, adds just the right amount of treble to cut through. It's a beauty.

I'm definitely grabbing a Tumnus someday. Those are killer and I've never heard a bad thing about them.

I can't find an Arrows schematic anywhere online (although, I can find an EQD Black Eye which is a ZVex SHO lol), which is weird for a boost. Super curious what it looks like with it's back off. ;)

The Tumnus is a Klon that is tiny and well priced. If you've heard a Klon then you know what a Tumnus sounds like. It rips.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is that the pedal equivalent of subtly asking for nudes? If I remember I'll post the reveal tomorrow :bigtran:. I recall seeing some discussion of what it is but my memory is garbage.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
Tumnus, huh? I feel like I'm going to end up with a bunch of different Wampler pedals for drive (got a Dual Fusion and a Dracarys already) and then a bunch of TC Electronic pedals for time effects... could be worse, I guess.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is that the pedal equivalent of subtly asking for nudes? If I remember I'll post the reveal tomorrow :bigtran:. I recall seeing some discussion of what it is but my memory is garbage.

Yes. :wink: Thank you, bb. Earthquaker is a personal muse and I am obsessed with learning Jamie Stillman's circuit tweaks.

Professor Science posted:

Tumnus, huh? I feel like I'm going to end up with a bunch of different Wampler pedals for drive (got a Dual Fusion and a Dracarys already) and then a bunch of TC Electronic pedals for time effects... could be worse, I guess.

Brian Wampler earned his reputation for being great so you could do much, much worse.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
I'm rebuilding my pedalboard after a long hiatus from playing and I really want something I can plug all 6 of my pedals into (as in an In and an Out for each) and reroute the signal chain using MIDI. Is there anything like that on the market?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Deific Presence posted:

I'm rebuilding my pedalboard after a long hiatus from playing and I really want something I can plug all 6 of my pedals into (as in an In and an Out for each) and reroute the signal chain using MIDI. Is there anything like that on the market?

Boss ES-5 or ES-8 I think.
https://www.boss.info/us/products/es-8/

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

drat, that's exactly what I need, but I've already blown through my budget for the next few months. Guess I'll have to wait for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have been wanting to purchase a few effects pedals to use as "outboard" gear from Ableton since I have been reading that this is a really good way to add some character to tracks I produce primarily in the box. The problem is I have no idea where to begin because there are a million pedals out there. Two effects that I have heard are good choices are distortion and reverb (would appreciate other recommendations too) but I have no idea what model/brand I should start with. Would it be worth it to stop by a pawn shop and just pick up a used one?