Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
NK should have descended into the water and emerged atop his noble steed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The Night King should have used the force to lift Viseron out of the lake before igniting his double-bladed lightsaber and doing some sick flips.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
there were already half a hundred zombies down in the lake anyway, when the ice first cracked
the questionable thing is more why those never resurfaced while a pair of them did later crawl back up during the battle

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

DeafNote posted:

there were already half a hundred zombies down in the lake anyway, when the ice first cracked
the questionable thing is more why those never resurfaced while a pair of them did later crawl back up during the battle

They did it just happened off screen.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Maise/Arya is a pretty terrible actor.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DeafNote posted:

Well, you see, that's not really plausible. The average hooooman body is over 50% water, with the skeleton only making up a small fraction of the remaining body mass. Somewhere around 1/3 maybe? For the weight of an average person (60kg in Europe, 100kg in North America) that would leave us with a wight weight of only 10kg(20lbs), not enough to sink the low density bones of a chronically malnourished medieval peasant with creeping osteoporosis. In conclusion, the wight would have floated!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Well, you see, that's not really plausible. The average hooooman body is over 50% water, with the skeleton only making up a small fraction of the remaining body mass. Somewhere around 1/3 maybe? For the weight of an average person (60kg in Europe, 100kg in North America) that would leave us with a wight weight of only 10kg(20lbs), not enough to sink the low density bones of a chronically malnourished medieval peasant with creeping osteoporosis. In conclusion, the wight would have floated!

Hell yeah, this is why I read the spoiler thread.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well you see, these humans from over there have some sort of extra bone in their bodies that make them better at sinking.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

The situation with her and Sansa/Turner seems to be the opposite now to when the show started. I always thought Sophie Turner was one of the worst actors on the show (edged out only by Clarke and that kid they used to play the stableboy Arya stabs in S1), and an absolutely terrible fit for Sansa (not the least because at age 15 or whatever she was a loving giantess) whereas Williams captured the role of young Arya quite well. These days, though, Turner is not at all bad, while Williams ... I don't know if it's the way she's being directed or what, but she just sucks. Arya sucks. If only Sansa could sentence both her and LF to death next episode.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

i think maisie and sophie are both fine young actresses hamstrung by their material
like what even is going on with either of their characters for the past three seasons? who knows

isaac hempstead-wright, however, is Bad

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Apparently Episode 7 has leaked.

It came through a French comedy site so who knows.

Stay tuned to find out if I'm an idiot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Splendid posted:

Apparently Episode 7 has leaked.

It came through a French comedy site so who knows.

Stay tuned to find out if I'm an idiot.

No word on https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/

If you're downloading from a questionable site you might want to reconsider.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

No word on https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/

If you're downloading from a questionable site you might want to reconsider.

Naw it was fine.

It was just an hour video of Kit Harington flapping his cloak on a cliff. Still not sure if it was fake

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Splendid posted:

Naw it was fine.

It was just an hour video of Kit Harington flapping his cloak on a cliff. Still not sure if it was fake

link plz, urgently plz

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Drunk in Space posted:

The situation with her and Sansa/Turner seems to be the opposite now to when the show started. I always thought Sophie Turner was one of the worst actors on the show (edged out only by Clarke and that kid they used to play the stableboy Arya stabs in S1), and an absolutely terrible fit for Sansa (not the least because at age 15 or whatever she was a loving giantess) whereas Williams captured the role of young Arya quite well. These days, though, Turner is not at all bad, while Williams ... I don't know if it's the way she's being directed or what, but she just sucks. Arya sucks. If only Sansa could sentence both her and LF to death next episode.

They're bad actors but it's getting made worse by the atrocious dialogue.

And hilariously this season has continued the trend of slaying anyone who acts well. Olenna...gone. Thoros...gone. In the Game of Thrones you act lovely or you die.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Littlefingers impending doom next episode is where I would really like to stop watching this bastard. I now really want to see GRRM finish the books so I can see the character get the finale he deserves. The show is supposed to be called Game of Thrones. It's now just a bastardized-less interesting version of Lotr as they have killed all the actual players.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Ginette Reno posted:

They're bad actors but it's getting made worse by the atrocious dialogue.

Reminder that Maisie Williams, a 20 year old actress in her first role, called the writers/director out on Arya's Braavos fight being really loving dumb. Not that they listened of course.

I haven't seen either her or Turner in anything else so I'm not going to judge their acting too harshly. They're both young and working with terrible material.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So I'm randomly reminded of this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f9jac7Qg9w4

It's the scene with Tywin, Littlefinger, and Arya disguised as a boy. In the scene it's absolutely 100% clear to Arya that Peter sided with the Lannisters and wanted Robb dead. Furthermore Tywin was on her hit list, so I would think that Peter being there begging Tywin to let him work for him and get Robb dead would put him on the list as well.

Has Arya just like completely forgotten this and not mention at all to anybody that they have a guy who wanted Robb dead living with them?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bloom posted:

Reminder that Maisie Williams, a 20 year old actress in her first role, called the writers/director out on Arya's Braavos fight being really loving dumb. Not that they listened of course.

I haven't seen either her or Turner in anything else so I'm not going to judge their acting too harshly. They're both young and working with terrible material.

Williams wasn't good in Doctor Who, but that's probably not a "great director" situation either. Turner was ok in X-Men Apocalypse, but not really anything outstanding.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People who worked with her on Doctor Who are predicting that she will end up as a director/cinematographer after GOT, apparently her knowlage of lighting, blocking and all the rest of the technical stuff was way beyond their actual directors, but she managed not to come across as a know it all dick about it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Maisie had some great moments in the past, I think she's very talented and I can't blame her for how disastrous the winterfell scenes were.

Heck her duel with Brienne still had some genuine emotions and chemistry, the terrible acting only came with the terrible writing.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wish for an alternate reality where other, more competent showrunners took over after season 4.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I read something from the watchers on the wall today that could give credence to any purported S8 leaks

Whether we are prepared or not, the showrunners have been for years: “So much of the endgame is stuff that we’ve been discussing for at least four or five years, if not longer. So a lot of the pieces have been put on the board years ago. You could go back to season two and some of these ideas started to come out” Weiss told TIME. “The actual endgame, the main climactic moments, we had in mind then. We had ninety percent of this crucial chunk of the story for the final season, and we were mainly talking to George [R.R. Martin] to see how our notion of where things ended up jibed with his notion.”

Most of that “talking” took place in 2013, when Benioff and Weiss got Martin’s road map for the ending. However, it was only a rough outline of the major story beats, as Martin is famously a “gardener” who doesn’t plot everything out — “he discovers things by writing,” as Benioff put it. Understandably, that’s not a possibility for them as TV writers: “We have to be architects. Everything has to be planned out really far in advance.”
:ohdear:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Constant posted:

I read something from the watchers on the wall today that could give credence to any purported S8 leaks

I'm in the "the leaks are 100% true how could you possibly doubt it you crazy people" camp but... what part of this quote gives them credence in your opinion?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm in the "the leaks are 100% true how could you possibly doubt it you crazy people" camp but... what part of this quote gives them credence in your opinion?

To me, the ultimate proof that they're fake is no mention of the hows and whys about the NK dying, he's just in one episode and then dead in the next one.

Even if they're just going off GRRM's outline, I have to imagine he knows how and why the Night King dies (if he dies at all.)

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I didnt know D&D had the ending in their heads for 5 years

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Unless Emilia Clarke did an reenactment of the final scene of ADWD on the front porch of the HBO boss they don't kill off their most popular and visible and meme generating main character offscreen between seasons.

Also, nobody at the GoT brain tank remembers Edmure.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

WampaLord posted:

To me, the ultimate proof that they're fake is no mention of the hows and whys about the NK dying, he's just in one episode and then dead in the next one.

Even if they're just going off GRRM's outline, I have to imagine he knows how and why the Night King dies (if he dies at all.)

"I have to go now. My planet needs me."

*Note: the night king died on the way back to his home planet.*

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WampaLord posted:

The Night King isn't a thing in the books though. There's no real indication that the Others have a singular leader, just that Melisandre believes there's an anti-Rhllor figure of cold and darkness out there somewhere. In the books "Night's King" just refers to a legendary NW commander who hosed an Other and did bad poo poo until the Starks and the wildlings teamed up to kill him, there's absolutely no sense that he is still around and consciously directing the actions of the Others. The books rather imply that the Others are up and about because Mance opened up a bunch of forbidden graves looking for the Horn of Joramun to break the Wall, rather than there being any king of the Others who has a plan of his own.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Decius posted:

Also, nobody at the GoT brain tank remembers Edmure

Yeah, what the hell? Did Arya leave her uncle there to die alone in his cell?? Also technically wouldn't he rule the Frey lands now if all the other actual-Frey males were killed off?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Constant posted:

However, it was only a rough outline of the major story beats, as Martin is famously a “gardener” who doesn’t plot everything out — “he discovers things by writing,” as Benioff put it. Understandably, that’s not a possibility for them as TV writers: “We have to be architects. Everything has to be planned out really far in advance.”[/i] :ohdear:

Why is that? Breaking Bad planned nothing out. They winged everything. They filmed Walt getting a machine gun in the final season and at the time of filming had no idea who he would use it on.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Like I agree that the NK death thing being omitted is suspicious but it's not enough to sway me, I think it's pretty implicit from the text that he dies in some choreographed fight scene against several main characters that include at least Jon and Brienne in which Brienne bites it, the scene could have just not been written and was meant to be added later as it was largely just an action sequence or perhaps it was omitted due to the possibility of a leak. Or it could be fan fiction. Maybe.

There's another complaint which is seemingly valid which is the inconsistencies in the plot, to me that proves nothing because the Ep 4 & 5 outlines from this season contradicted each other, the very last scene of episode 4 states bluntly that Jaime is riding to kill Dany while in the opening of ep 5 Jaime and Bronn chat about how Jaime was actually trying to drive a sword through Drogon's eye. This was obviously fixed in the final script where Jaime goes for Dany with a lance and Jaime and Bronn don't discuss attempted Dragon slaying at all.

Other arguments like "It's not thematic for Dany to die without kicking rear end" or something don't seem valid to me, unsatisfying character deaths are a hallmark of this show and assuming that it won't pull those off for Our Heroes is well, just an opinion. There's also stuff which is plain wrong like "bran dies after doing nothing" when he in fact takes control over a dragon and seemingly sacrifices himself to allow the remaining named characters to escape winterfell.

If I'm already sperging the worst arguments for me were certain technical script writing complaints and complaints about the prose, even though it is obvious that these are not based (or try to pass of as being based) on actual scripts, we've seen the outlines and know for a fact that they are written with loose descriptive prose that attempts to also encapsulate the character's motivations and what the scene should convey.

You're all going to look very silly when these leaks are going to be proven true and doubly so when everyone kind of agrees it was a decent ending. I'm telling you.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 24, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

and doubly so when everyone kind of agrees it was a decent ending. I'm telling you.

I'd argue that whatever ending GoT has, the majority of show watchers will like it - simply because it is the official GoT ending.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You're all going to look very silly when these leaks are going to be proven true and doubly so when everyone kind of agrees it was a decent ending. I'm telling you.

"Mark my words"-posts have the tendency to be pulled out when they are disproven. ;) Freefolk saying that they don't trust the stuff because it isn't from the usual sources, but from a random 4chan post makes me not trust it at all.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If I'm wrong I'll just sperg about how the fake leaks were so much better than whatever we'll end up getting.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Like I agree that the NK death thing being omitted is suspicious but it's not enough to sway me, I think it's pretty implicit from the text that he dies in some choreographed fight scene against several main characters that include at least Jon and Brienne in which Brienne bites it, the scene could have just not been written and was meant to be added later as it was largely just an action sequence or perhaps it was omitted due to the possibility of a leak. Or it could be fan fiction. Maybe.

There's another complaint which is seemingly valid which is the inconsistencies in the plot, to me that proves nothing because the Ep 4 & 5 outlines from this season contradicted each other, the very last scene of episode 4 states bluntly that Jaime is riding to kill Dany while in the opening of ep 5 Jaime and Bronn chat about how Jaime was actually trying to drive a sword through Drogon's eye. This was obviously fixed in the final script where Jaime goes for Dany with a lance and Jaime and Bronn don't discuss attempted Dragon slaying at all.

Other arguments like "It's not thematic for Dany to die without kicking rear end" or something don't seem valid to me, unsatisfying character deaths are a hallmark of this show and assuming that it won't pull those off for Our Heroes is well, just an opinion. There's also stuff which is plain wrong like "bran dies after doing nothing" when he in fact takes control over a dragon and seemingly sacrifices himself to allow the remaining names characters to escape winterfell.

If I'm already sperging the worst arguments for me were certain technical script writing complaints and complaints about the prose, even though it is obvious that these are not based (or try to pass of as being based) on actual scripts, we've seen the outlines and know for a fact that they are written with loose descriptive prose that attempts to also encapsulate the character's motivations and what the scene should convey.

not me, i've been posting "the leaks are real and are good" since they were first posted, because I am extremely smart and good

and also, the leaks are real and are good lol

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just cant get on board with Dany dying during childbirth, being put down by Varys and then brought to Kings Landing to be hung from the walls.

This Golden Company must be some poo poo to go from Cersei talking about suing for peace to sacking Dragonstone.

Also Jon riding Drogon :vince:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 24, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Those spoilers aren't real. But just because nerds have been honing in on these hack frauds' "process" for years now, extrapolating a finale and chugging out a believable fake using this season's leaks as a template has become possible.

Its like when there was an alleged leak of a work in progress Deathly Hallows manuscript. It wasnt real. Large swaths of it were obviously fan fiction, yet the story beats actualy matched the deathly hallows almost one for one, because fans figured out JK Rowling's game by book 7.

Either that or Rowling is only famous because of one bad rear end editor.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Also Jamie joining team good guys :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I miss Quaithe.

• Locked thread