Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
In any sport instructors go over my head when they assume a "body economy" is already trained or they breeze through the simple part to get to the difficult part.

But you seem really thought out. Did you mention the class level? Sometimes an off day is simply that. One student acting snarky can sour an entire class. poo poo, stressful news can make people act down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What on earth is body economy

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
transfer season

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

What on earth is body economy

Organ traffickers gotta make money somewhere

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

This is a very strange situation. I understand why you have some feeling of loyalty to your previous gym but why not just find a new non-dysfunctional gym in your area and start training? I live in the NY/NJ area so I'm super spoiled for choice but there are many professionally run gyms with top instructors all around and I wouldn't feel pressured into going back to a place like that.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Seltzer posted:

This is a very strange situation. I understand why you have some feeling of loyalty to your previous gym but why not just find a new non-dysfunctional gym in your area and start training? I live in the NY/NJ area so I'm super spoiled for choice but there are many professionally run gyms with top instructors all around and I wouldn't feel pressured into going back to a place like that.

I agree with this, you seem like you've got a lot of apprehensions about going back to training and it's understandable. I'd just add to what Seltzer said and say that you could just shop around and try to find a vibe that fits you.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Captain Log posted:

In any sport instructors go over my head when they assume a "body economy" is already trained or they breeze through the simple part to get to the difficult part.

What are you even talking about here? Instead of talking about "body economy" and whatever that is supposed to mean, describe a situation where an instructor was showing you something and you didn't get what they were saying.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
gently caress it, I'm not going into more detail. It was a phrase I was taught about disabled or physically injured people that I obviously thought was a little more common. I'll shut up.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
girl, your body is like the economy cause my interest rate just went way up

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

girl, your body is like the economy cause my interest rate just went way up

See? This man gets it.

This isn't the goony self defense thread and I'll stop treating it as such. I've had periods of my life where I've been responsible for working with disabled athletes and that's a whole thing in of itself.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I feel like I've been reading your posts all day long in every thread I visit captain log.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Please go away captains log

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Seltzer posted:

It's not so much a question of loyalty.... The gym, instructor and organizations we have been tied to has changed over time.

More like... nostalgia.

How nice to still be able to train with the same people when we were training in a real hole in the wall almost 10 years ago. Except now we actually have a nice, clean proper gym.

Also, there is a more practical reason.

This place is closest after work, a 10 minute drive from my residence. The next nearest appears to be about an extra 30 minute drive each way.

I wake up around 04:30AM, leave for work at 05:00AM and typically do not get off and back in town until around 06:00PM. So more driving is not particularly attractive.

Maybe I can train at the other place on my days off. Or do some BJJ gyms still get their feelings hurt over that kind of thing?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Do you use the knee shield much? What are your favourite things to do with it?

At the moment I've been going into the Lucas Leite style sweep. It's almost embarrassingly easy sometimes but I guess people will click on eventually.

And there's a cool loop choke from it with the push of a knee.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Captain Log posted:

See? This man gets it.

This isn't the goony self defense thread and I'll stop treating it as such. I've had periods of my life where I've been responsible for working with disabled athletes and that's a whole thing in of itself.

There's a goony self defense thread? I thought we had successfully hunted down and destroyed or seized all physical violence threads.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

huh posted:

Do you use the knee shield much? What are your favourite things to do with it?

Knee shield half guard? Get to deep half.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hi Grappling Friends,

I feel as if I've been in a frustrating plateau lately. The instructors at my dojo don't seem to teach many small guy techniques or many bottom techniques, and the average size competitor at my gym is quite big. As a consequence right now I'm contending with a whole bunch of 180-300 lb guys who have smothering top games (many of them are tradesmen or farmers too, so they have that kind of tireless labourer's strength). If I can get to one of my two murder positions (back or crucifix) I am able to finish anyone in the gym at a high percentage, but for 95% of my rolling time I'm smashed under a big guy, defending keylocks. I have a number of good sweeps from half guard, but the top-game arms race has basically made everyone play crushy stifling half guards, and I haven't been able to get any of these sweeps to work from what was once one of my favourite positions. The only silver lining I've gotten really good at surviving. I spent much of last night under huge purple and black belts and gave up only a couple submissions (yes, I recognize that the black belt was going easy on me.)

But to spend a whole roll merely surviving is still frustrating, and I don't feel as if I'm learning anything or improving.

So I'm trying to figure out how I should approach my roll time and training to get through this plateau. I asked the instructor last night for some escapes from these positions, and he was happy to oblige (he didn't know he was teaching until he showed up, so he took requests). The thing is there wasn't anything new in what he showed. I had seen all of these techniques before, so it amounted to more reps on these techniques and hearing them described from a different perspective. I'm not sure if right now that learning new techniques will do me any good. It's more as if I just need to keep suffering in bottom side/half and defending kimuras until... idunno... these techniques start working maybe.

My main idea, aside from asking for instructor help, is to stop going for any submissions and focus 100% on position in my rolls for a while. Really it was that Weidman-Gastelum BJJ scout video, and the current thread discussion, that gave me the idea of changing my mindset in this way. I figure that if I just focus on maintaining and gaining position, that I'll begin to end up in these bad positions less frequently, and that if I stop going for submissions when I have the positions, I'll start learning follow-up positions for when people manage to defend my favoured techniques and escape. Is this a worthwhile approach to improving my jits game? Or is this ridiculous? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Sounds like a good plan. As a small guy you've got to be able to survive in bottom but you've got to be able to train yourself not to concede top against bigger guys.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

Sounds like a good plan. As a small guy you've got to be able to survive in bottom but you've got to be able to train yourself not to concede top against bigger guys.

Yeah. I guess the other thing I should be doing is watching competition footage of smaller guys beating bigger guys, especially with conservative BJJ. I rewatched Maia-Gonzaga today, and what I noticed this time is that Maia conceded literally nothing at any time. He won that match because he made Gonazaga go to war for every millimetre of positional advantage until the big man began to fade.

Any suggestions? I enjoyed Tonon in the openweight tournament, but he's not the most imitable grappler out there.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Any suggestions? I enjoyed Tonon in the openweight tournament, but he's not the most imitable grappler out there.

Bruno Malficine probably a good guy to watch.

Getting to deep half is probably a good idea for you as well or really working the knee shield. Also, just don't play bottom vs guys who outweigh you by 40+lbs

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

As someone who's been obsessing over Lucas Leite for awhile, I've been going through the Tom Deblass half guard DVD, and I'm struck by the realization that every half-guard 'system' seems to follows the same principles.

Lucas Leite attacks the near leg (climb to dogfight) as a destabilizing open move, then alternates between inside (rolling under) and outside (climbing to dogfight) attacks, back and forth in a rocking motion, so they're further destabilized after each failed attack.
Tom Deblass attacks the near leg (climb to dogfight) as a destabilizing open move, then he cycles between attacking the other three limbs in a cycle of 4-5 moves, and if they don't work he just goes back to the start of the cycle, so they're further destabilized after each failed attack.

Both obviously assume a wizzer or you'd just take the back.

The Leite style leg torque is an incredible way to get a big guy's weight off you, but it can be a little hard to set-up sometimes. (The weight that was previously going in to you is moved past you, off to one side and into the floor.) I'm planning to give DeBlass's stuff a spin for six months because it's mostly from the basic outside-triangle style of halfguard, and I think it'll help solidify the basic principles in my head because I rely on the Leite-hook too much. I'll go back to using it once the fundamentals of my half-guard are better.

You might like DeBlass because he was Tonon's primary coach for most of his BJJ career, and while you can see elements of Tonon's style he has a much more conservative approach.

edit: I should add the disclaimer that I'm an eternal blue belt. I can write/draw the attack sequences if you want?

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 25, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I can write/draw the attack sequences if you want?

More of these. They're cool

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

...because I rely on the Leite-hook too much.

This was my concern but oh god it is fun to put people on their back.

I'll look into DeBlass.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I really wish I had the patience to think about my game more and look at tape but I've been progressing pretty decently so it's easy to fall into the status quo.

Also I've pulled off the parachute escape a couple more times now and it's absolutely hilarious. It's like the bjj equivalent of a harmless prank, except its also slightly practical.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 25, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Bruno Malficine probably a good guy to watch.

Getting to deep half is probably a good idea for you as well or really working the knee shield. Also, just don't play bottom vs guys who outweigh you by 40+lbs

Yeah the problem is once guys get good enough to put me on the bottom.

I tried the new no-sub strategy out tonight at no-gi. I rolled against 5 opponents for 5 minute rounds- 1) a really new but extremely athletic guy who is close to my size, 2) a gigantic white belt whose brother is an excellent and even bigger purple belt, 3) a blue belt gumby girl, 4) an instructor who idolizes Tonon and who is the one guy at the club I haven't gotten at least once, 5) I can't remember but I know there was one other, maybe white belt strong girl or maybe I'm getting mixed up with our positional drills which we did for quite a while before free rolls.

1) Maintaining position was easy on him, obviously. I mounted him more or less effortlessly, passed over several opportunities for easy arm triangles and guillotines, instead practising my mount and back ride. I think it was more productive for him, too, than being submitted seven times in five minutes. Once or twice I told him "uh oh you don't want to do that (e.g. go face down and stretch out his legs with me on his back) and moved him back to the previous position.

2) This guy has gotten really good at getting to top half and smothering me, so I played that "don't give him anything" game. I started with an arm drag to front headlock spraw, and then spun for his back. I rode his back for a good 2-3 minutes but messed up a mount transition and ended up on the bottom. I fought really hard against letting him sink anything in, mostly by getting my feet on his hips, and I was able to get back to knee shield. Much of the rest of the roll was him using his size to break past my knee shield and me recovering a half guard and then getting knee shield again.

3) Super fun roll as she has good counter wrestling. I had my arm in place for a guillotine which I caught in transition, but I let it go and sunk in mount control instead and tried (unsuccessfully) to underjack her. We spent a lot of time sprawling on each other and reversing positions.

4) We started with a ton of hand fighting. He took knee shield which became a modified half guard. He got his knee up on my bicep to trap my arm in a quasi-spider guard position, while I triangled the trapped leg to look for a rolling back take as I freed my arm. He then shifted his weight and swept me to an inverted kneebar position and tapped me with a toe hold. The next roll he managed to get on top and start going for north-south kimuras which I defended consecutively by doing that elbow-to-the-mat-oh-you're-in-a-double-wristlock-better-let-go defense. He then went to transition a kimura into an armbar, which I defended but the buzzer went just as I was taking side control. e. buddy got me with this almost exactly https://youtu.be/dVYDP8JlPp0?t=1m15s

Against #1, I feel as if my new strategy just gave me more practice on fundamentals and allowed the new guy to get more active mat time instead of just experiencing more of that humiliating chain tapping which happens at the beginning, which he gets enough of from everyone else. Against #2 my dogged refusal to give up anything resembling top control instead of just conceding position and trusting my sweeps was productive. Against #3 the no-sub rule was great because I didn't feel as if I was strength-tapping one of the three people at the club who are smaller than me, and we had a playful flow roll instead. Against #4 I stopped going for hail mary attempts at submissions which never work, and spent more time thinking about how to improve my position. I ended up in a lovely spot anyway, but he's way better than me. (On Monday I had him gurgling from a loop choke which followed up a failed guillotine, but he got out.)

Anyway, enough of the diary -

If any of you guys see good specific vids of guys like De Blass or Bruno Malficine fighting big opponents with smothering top games, please share links, and I'll do likewise.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 25, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Anything visual is incredibly helpful. But that level of written detail is also helpful.

Thanks for effort posting that information.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

CommonShore posted:

Hi Grappling Friends,

I feel as if I've been in a frustrating plateau lately. The instructors at my dojo don't seem to teach many small guy techniques or many bottom techniques, and the average size competitor at my gym is quite big. As a consequence right now I'm contending with a whole bunch of 180-300 lb guys who have smothering top games (many of them are tradesmen or farmers too, so they have that kind of tireless labourer's strength). If I can get to one of my two murder positions (back or crucifix) I am able to finish anyone in the gym at a high percentage, but for 95% of my rolling time I'm smashed under a big guy, defending keylocks. I have a number of good sweeps from half guard, but the top-game arms race has basically made everyone play crushy stifling half guards, and I haven't been able to get any of these sweeps to work from what was once one of my favourite positions. The only silver lining I've gotten really good at surviving. I spent much of last night under huge purple and black belts and gave up only a couple submissions (yes, I recognize that the black belt was going easy on me.)

But to spend a whole roll merely surviving is still frustrating, and I don't feel as if I'm learning anything or improving.

So I'm trying to figure out how I should approach my roll time and training to get through this plateau. I asked the instructor last night for some escapes from these positions, and he was happy to oblige (he didn't know he was teaching until he showed up, so he took requests). The thing is there wasn't anything new in what he showed. I had seen all of these techniques before, so it amounted to more reps on these techniques and hearing them described from a different perspective. I'm not sure if right now that learning new techniques will do me any good. It's more as if I just need to keep suffering in bottom side/half and defending kimuras until... idunno... these techniques start working maybe.

My main idea, aside from asking for instructor help, is to stop going for any submissions and focus 100% on position in my rolls for a while. Really it was that Weidman-Gastelum BJJ scout video, and the current thread discussion, that gave me the idea of changing my mindset in this way. I figure that if I just focus on maintaining and gaining position, that I'll begin to end up in these bad positions less frequently, and that if I stop going for submissions when I have the positions, I'll start learning follow-up positions for when people manage to defend my favoured techniques and escape. Is this a worthwhile approach to improving my jits game? Or is this ridiculous? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Have you seen this sweep before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2gxvayoPY

Granted, I'm a medium-sized dude who is on the larger side for my gym, but I stumbled on this one early in my white belt career when I was getting flattened out a lot and have spent the last year or so sharpening it, and it consistently works on people waaay better than me. I like to use a thumb-down (pronated) cross-collar grip in the gi instead of the side-of-the-head thing he shows.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nestharken posted:

Granted, I'm a medium-sized dude who is on the larger side for my gym, but I stumbled on this one early in my white belt career when I was getting flattened out a lot and have spent the last year or so sharpening it, and it consistently works on people waaay better than me. I like to use a thumb-down (pronated) cross-collar grip in the gi instead of the side-of-the-head thing he shows.

That one works for me on guys who are sub-200 and not purple belts, but Mir gives some good details and discussion in there that might increase my percentage on it a bit. Thanks!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Nestharken posted:

Thanks for posting this. I was stuck in a similar position on Wednesday and couldn't exactly figure out how to get out. Hopefully I'll remember to try this next time I'm stuck like this.

I also in bottom side countrol. The guy on top had his arm behind my head and had a pretty good grip on the collar of my gi. Is there anything I can do to try to break that grip?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Seltzer posted:

Also I've pulled off the parachute escape a couple more times now and it's absolutely hilarious. It's like the bjj equivalent of a harmless prank, except its also slightly practical.

Mind linking a vid? YouTube just leads me to rap videos.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 25, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Neon Belly posted:

Mind linking a vid? YouTube just leads me to rape videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_zzFhHF5wU&t=60s

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

You should be watching Marcelo Garcia all the time. Also, you should subscribe to the bjj scout youtube if it isn't already done and watch his current series on Ben Askren, I know it's mostly for nogi stuff but one interesting thing that i've been clued onto recently is that just like how Askren doesn't do ''pure'' bjj when he can take the back and would rather work on rides and do GnP. Marcelo also doesn't necessarily go for hooks when he's taking the back either but working on keeping a seatbelt and ''riding'' the guy from position to position. I'm not sure in what youtube video i've seen him do that but it was really interesting.

I'm not saying hooks are useless or anything of the sort. Just that for your needs, with the help of your coach or other better practitioners here, you could perhaps find something that works for you and help you work on your goal of staying on top.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You might be referring to the Weidman video.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ICHIBAHN posted:

You might be referring to the Weidman video.

The Weidman video makes reference to the Askren videos, so you're kinda both right (except for ICHIBAHN, who is more wrong).

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

mariooncrack posted:

Thanks for posting this. I was stuck in a similar position on Wednesday and couldn't exactly figure out how to get out. Hopefully I'll remember to try this next time I'm stuck like this.

I also in bottom side countrol. The guy on top had his arm behind my head and had a pretty good grip on the collar of my gi. Is there anything I can do to try to break that grip?

I'll let better people answer the grip break question, because I can't think of anything for it. However, this sweep can work from bottom side control as a reversal if they wrap your head like that; you just have to wait until their torso is roughly parallel with yours (or wiggle yourself around to force it) and watch out for the backstep -> step over to mount counter. If they do backstep, you can usually get enough space to work your leg in and reclaim guard if you're quick.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, the Weidman video was kind of an off-series video that was used to show how Askren's stuff is being adapted into MMA right now and how you might adapt your BJJ in an MMA context. I'm sure you know all this, I'm just writing it down partly so I can injest the information.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I am right.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've watched all for Folkstyle Meta videos now anyway, and they're interesting. My problem is "how do I use this in BJJ," but the third Askren video ends with that question. The only thing that I dislike is his awkward misuse of the word "meta" - Askren isn't bringing a Folkstyle Meta to MMA; he's bringing a Folkstyle Strategy to the MMA Meta.

The idea of taking the waist/wrist control to ride is strong, but the only way I can think of using it in BJJ is as a cooking technique - back ride for a while, break someone down, and then hold it until I can either transition to a very high mount, a facedown seatbelt, or somehow a crucifix (which might be easier than it seems).

For the crucifix, if I'm on the side ride with inside wrist/waist, I could present my knee to the near arm, and 90% of people are going to try to hook it for a single. At that point it's trivial to bring the other leg up and close the crucifix.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Just got this from my doctor. I'm back bitches.

Also Kyle Snyder beat Sadulaev so the USA is the world freestyle champs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ch3cooh posted:

Just got this from my doctor. I'm back bitches.

Also Kyle Snyder beat Sadulaev so the USA is the world freestyle champs.

Congratulations dude.