Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo, just had a really simple idea - ultrasonic sensor on each bar end, pointing at the ground - then it's simple geometry to work out the angle. You need two to sort out the noise of the suspension moving, and it wouldn't be able to tell camber angle from lean angle, but it'd be close enough for bragging rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
poo poo, Aprilia has a lean angle sensor on the dash for the Tuonos (and probably the scooters or the RSV4s), and they can barely get their bikes to understand the concept of winter.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A more mundane thing I always thought would be nice is an electronic service schedule, basically a little thing that tracks mileage and time against a lookup table of maintenance items and when each job was last done, and it throws up an idiot light and a text reminder when it's time to do a given thing (and ideally a button you can push to log that you've done it).

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

captainOrbital posted:

poo poo, Aprilia has a lean angle sensor on the dash for the Tuonos (and probably the scooters or the RSV4s), and they can barely get their bikes to understand the concept of winter.

Aprilia was actually one of the first manufacturers to put an IMU in a street bike. I'm not sure about winter but I do know that they don't like large changes in altitude.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Buhbuhj posted:

Aprilia was actually one of the first manufacturers to put an IMU in a street bike. I'm not sure about winter but I do know that they don't like large changes in altitude.

something something... won't start when the temp is exactly 0 degrees

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renaissance Robot posted:

A more mundane thing I always thought would be nice is an electronic service schedule, basically a little thing that tracks mileage and time against a lookup table of maintenance items and when each job was last done, and it throws up an idiot light and a text reminder when it's time to do a given thing (and ideally a button you can push to log that you've done it).

autoist does all that tracking, if you can have it automatically send odometer readings you would be set

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

something something... won't start when the temp is exactly 0 degrees

I'm going to test this during the winter. I will log results.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Buhbuhj posted:

I'm going to test this during the winter. I will log results.

You could log it with an Arduino!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Really dumb question, but I haven't had to deal with it before (amazingly enough) - what's the proper protocol when you get pulled over on a bike? Engine off, flip up visor, hands on the bars? Or take your gloves + helmet off and all that? Stay on or off the bike? I've always assumed they'd be happy enough if I just pulled over right away, and figured just stay on the bike, but turn the engine off and lift up your visor.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
flip them the bird and filter through traffic they cant fit through obviously.

If you want the cop to be comfortable then do this
Put up your visor, turn off the bike and put your hands on the grips. stay on the bike, getting up or turning around may be viewed as confrontational. Dont reach into your jacket for ID without telling him beforehand. Same stuff as in a car, make him feel safe like you would an easily frightened baby with a gun

I dont flip up my visor or remove my gloves because I dont have to. I cant think of a good reason why he would need to see my bare hands or eyes without probable cause

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 24, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

flip them the bird and filter through traffic they cant fit through obviously.

If you want the cop to be comfortable then do this
Put up your visor, turn off the bike and put your hands on the grips. stay on the bike, getting up or turning around may be viewed as confrontational. Dont reach into your jacket for ID without telling him beforehand. Same stuff as in a car, make him feel safe like you would an easily frightened baby with a gun

I dont flip up my visor or remove my gloves because I dont have to. I cant think of a good reason why he would need to see my bare hands or eyes without probable cause

I don't doubt that this is excellent advice for the US but it reads like some fascist-rear end poo poo compared to what I'm used to.

Every time I've pulled over I've immediately jumped off my bike taken off my helmet and whipped out my wallet so as to give a good impression and hopefully dodge/ameliorate the ticket. If I stayed on the bike with my helmet on and my hands on the bars, it's fair to assume the cop would think I'm either preparing to run or high AF and trying to hide it. Most of them seem relieved that I'm reasonable and open to having a chat and I've always gotten the impression that most 2-wheeled traffic stops involving under 40's are really difficult and frustrating for them.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

I don't doubt that this is excellent advice for the US but it reads like some fascist-rear end poo poo compared to what I'm used to.

Every time I've pulled over I've immediately jumped off my bike taken off my helmet and whipped out my wallet so as to give a good impression and hopefully dodge/ameliorate the ticket. If I stayed on the bike with my helmet on and my hands on the bars, it's fair to assume the cop would think I'm either preparing to run or high AF and trying to hide it. Most of them seem relieved that I'm reasonable and open to having a chat and I've always gotten the impression that most 2-wheeled traffic stops involving under 40's are really difficult and frustrating for them.

you somehow read completely around "turn off the bike"

Your jumping off the bike and reaching for your wallet would be met by a drawn gun and screaming to get on the ground. Cops are pretty touchy in the US lately and for good reason

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 24, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
double post oops

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I read you saying turn off the bike but seriously unless you're running a kick start or a brutale triple that doesn't really mean poo poo w.r.t. running cause running is a button push away.

Fauxtool posted:

Your jumping off the bike and reaching for your wallet would be met by a drawn gun and screaming to get on the ground

I don't doubt this and it makes me very, very glad to not live in your country.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

I read you saying turn off the bike but seriously unless you're running a kick start or a brutale triple that doesn't really mean poo poo w.r.t. running cause running is a button push away.

I don't doubt this and it makes me very, very glad to not live in your country.

yeah but I have tons of guns and can call people the N-word without fear so its worth it
who needs healthcare when a suicide by cop is so easy

If you are a woman you can just nod your head at all the unsolicited advice he gives you about your motorcycle and how to ride it.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 24, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

And if you're not white, the answer is just don't even try, right?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ola posted:

And if you're not white, the answer is just don't even try, right?

yeah...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
ATGATT should eliminate race as a factor for the stop so they shouldnt be as trigger happy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush when are you going to sell those speedometers? I have my eye on a CX500 project bike which I feel is suitably 80's for your speedometer.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Uh I'm in America and I step off the bike when pulled over.

Bike off, key in so the signal stays on, step off while removing gear (helmet/gloves/maybe jacket if it's hot).

With cars or bikes I never reach for my wallet or registration until asked, and it's pretty clear that I'm just hopping off the bike and awkwardly futzing with my helmet strap rather than reaching for my chin holstered american handgun.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

ATGATT should eliminate race as a factor for the stop so they shouldnt be as trigger happy

This is why I wear white leathers.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

If I stayed on the bike with my helmet on and my hands on the bars, it's fair to assume the cop would think I'm either preparing to run or high AF and trying to hide it.
So what you're saying is that cops might assume things based on your actions and those assumptions might be vary by location? :monocle:

I turn the bike off and sit up on the bike. I think I've taken my helmet off both times I've been pulled over, pull my earpro/earbuds out and wait for them to come up and give me instructions. It's never been a big deal. Both times the cop has been friendly and the most chastisement I've ever had was "you know you're not supposed to wear earbuds, right? Thanks for your cooperation in pulling over though." "Sure thing, sir, have a good one" *puts in earbuds*

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 24, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Your jumping off the bike and reaching for your wallet would be met by a drawn gun and screaming to get on the ground. Cops are pretty touchy in the US lately and for good reason

is the reason "because they're murderous racists with tiny penises"

The only time I've been pulled over was at a checkpoint. I flipped up my visor and shut off the engine.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sagebrush when are you going to sell those speedometers? I have my eye on a CX500 project bike which I feel is suitably 80's for your speedometer.

I've got some bugs to work out yet, but selling them at some point is in the plans. Gotta build a PCB and go through a couple more iterations of the physical housing design.

Question for you: what sort of speedometer and tachometer drive do the stock gauges use on a CX500?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 24, 2017

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I took off my helmet and took the keys out and waited before I did anything else.

I asked them if I could reach into my tail bag for the registration, and they thanked me for asking. Suburban cops, two of them together and both were riders, apparently. I'm caucasian but with a hispanic name. They let me go without a ticket despite the fact that I passed someone on a double yellow like an idiot.

They seemed like nice guys but I've always had good luck with cops. Knock on wood.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i do burnouts until they walk over

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
It's very funny that cops get like a year of training but we have to coach people how to make them feel comfortable and safe. Jesus christ.

Generally I just make them feel comfortable by being white.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Try being on the other side of the badge once. I reserved for 8 years. It is a very difficult job, and will make you utterly paranoid and hate humanity like cancer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah so perhaps giving them good wage and backing that up with comprehensive training and doctrine/policy that makes actual sense is a solution, I dunno. gently caress the police?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: nm

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 25, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

is the reason "because they're murderous racists with tiny penises"

My penis isn't... tiny.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Yeah so perhaps giving them good wage and backing that up with comprehensive training and doctrine/policy that makes actual sense is a solution, I dunno. gently caress the police?

Our police (and firefighters) in Los Angeles have ridiculous pensions and benefits, we spend ~20% of our operating revenue on that alone. However, even my uncle in Sacramento who's been a cop forever makes fun of LA for how corrupt we've always been. There have been a lot of politics historically that have kept the police from having any kind of accountability, oddly enough if you look into the tupac and biggie murders it pretty much explains the issues with the police and LA. Pretty much cops who are gangsters / work for gangsters, but it's swept under the rug for PR reasons.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

It's very funny that cops get like a year of training but we have to coach people how to make them feel comfortable and safe. Jesus christ.

Presumably because that year of training, at least in the US, includes paranoid poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0p94UtBMgs

I couldn't find the one about improvised weaponry with the razor blade baseball cap. I'd appreciate it if anyone else can because it's comedy gold.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Note to self. Think before you reply...

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 25, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

R-Type posted:

will make you utterly paranoid and hate humanity like cancer.
So it's like working retail?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Presumably because that year of training, at least in the US, includes paranoid poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0p94UtBMgs

I couldn't find the one about improvised weaponry with the razor blade baseball cap. I'd appreciate it if anyone else can because it's comedy gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JUe3LzytGQ

R-Type posted:

Try being on the other side of the badge once. I reserved for 8 years. It is a very difficult job, and will make you utterly paranoid and hate humanity like cancer.

police are trained to be afraid of everything and indoctrinated to believe "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" and "I am going home at the end of my shift" so their paranoia is a product of their training. Statistically there is no increased risk of homicide against an officer over the general population

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

http://www.theonion.com/video/cop-explains-how-it-feels-live-every-day-fear-some-56753

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

EX250 Type R posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JUe3LzytGQ

police are trained to be afraid of everything and indoctrinated to believe "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" and "I am going home at the end of my shift" so their paranoia is a product of their training. Statistically there is no increased risk of homicide against an officer over the general population

Look I'm not going to get in an argument with you here of all places, but this looks like something that the Soros-financed hate groups put out.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

R-Type posted:

Look I'm not going to get in an argument with you here of all places, but this looks like something that the Soros-financed hate groups put out.

the best part of living in america is i have no loving idea if this is a joke or not.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I can't comment on police training, but as an occupation, police don't make the top 10 list of most dangerous occupations in the US according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics - http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/10-most-dangerous-jobs-us-1.aspx

The one time I was pulled over, I turned off the bike, sat on it, and removed my helmet. Cop seemed thankful I didn't try to run. Got out of it with just a warning. YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I try to not make eye contact so as to show submission.