Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Whoops! That ACLU tweet probably secured 10 more votes for the right next election cycle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the ACLU just can't stop loving up lmao

Actually it's extremely good and the only people who have problems with it need to be punched, like nazis.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Actually it's extremely good and the only people who have problems with it need to be punched, like nazis.

nah

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sounds like something a Nazi would say.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Taintrunner posted:

I agree with the ACLU that only babies would have a hardline fetishization of some vague ideal of "free speech"

Free speech is a tool of the powerless against the powerful that's essential to democracy, and if your ideology can't handle it your ideology's poo poo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Free speech is a tool of the powerless against the powerful that's essential to democracy, and if your ideology can't handle it your ideology's poo poo.

cash is now analogous to speech so literally the opposite is true. fairness doctrine violates free speech too

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Free speech is a tool of the powerless against the powerful

Utterly hilarious someone would post this unironically in the current state of America when even Princeton admits that the American government has been bought out hook line and sinker by the wealthy via lobbyists, when nonviolent Black Lives Matter protests are met with tear gas and riot police, and the Forever War in the Middle East is backed with bipartisan agreement while private contractors cheer, knowing they'll be raking in American taxdollars for years and years to come.

quote:

that's essential to democracy, and if your ideology can't handle it your ideology's poo poo.

The ACLU defended Citizen's United so that the wealthy could continue strangling any ideal of the powerless utilizing free speech, you're entirely full of poo poo.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
please don't be mean to jeb! he's a naive liberal.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkman Fanpage posted:

please don't be mean to jeb! he's a naive liberal.

Jeb! is a mess. Jeb! is a waste. Jeb! should be stripped of his gimmick and have it redistributed to a better poster. Bigly!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

cash is now analogous to speech so literally the opposite is true. fairness doctrine violates free speech too

Taintrunner posted:

The ACLU defended Citizen's United so that the wealthy could continue strangling any ideal of the powerless utilizing free speech, you're entirely full of poo poo.

Citizens United isn't a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Plus generally limits on how and when campaign expenditures happen work just as well as limits on contributions. That's what Europe does, and they also have public campaign financing systems, which the ACLU supports.

Taintrunner posted:

Utterly hilarious someone would post this unironically in the current state of America when even Princeton admits that the American government has been bought out hook line and sinker by the wealthy via lobbyists, when nonviolent Black Lives Matter protests are met with tear gas and riot police, and the Forever War in the Middle East is backed with bipartisan agreement while private contractors cheer, knowing they'll be raking in American taxdollars for years and years to come.

So you agree with me that it's bad the BLM protestors are having their speech rights abused? And do you think, if we didn't have speech rights, the bipartisan neocon consensus wouldn't put limits on "unpatriotic" war-critical speech?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Citizens United isn't a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Plus generally limits on how and when campaign expenditures happen work just as well as limits on contributions. That's what Europe does, and they also have public campaign financing systems, which the ACLU supports.

You're not getting it. Even before money was officially sanctioned as speech through CU, owners could do whatever they wanted with their media companies. The Fairness Doctrine was revoked by the Reagan administration with the exlicit argument that it violated principles of Free Speech, which is incredibly hard to argue. Free speech absolutism is smothering any real possibility of non mainstream speech actually being heard. To seek it out you have to do it autodidactically, which isn't the best means of becoming informed - because you can just as easily cotton onto reactionary and racist ideologies in an uncontrolled environment like the internet.

We do not actually live in a society where "freedom of speech" has real meaning. Censorship powers have simply become transferred from the state to private capital.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Aug 24, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We do not actually live in a society where "freedom of speech" has real meaning. Censorship powers have simply become transferred from the state to private capital.
So therefore the solution is to allow non-governmental institutions to censor people?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

So therefore the solution is to allow non-governmental institutions to censor people?

That's what's happening already. :milk:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's what's happening already. :milk:

Exactly, that's why I support the ACLU, and find Doxxing and censorship by private organizations and employment consequences for speech odious, glad you understand :)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Exactly, that's why I support the ACLU, and find Doxxing and censorship by private organizations and employment consequences for speech odious, glad you understand :)

The ACLU worked to create this environment. To address all of this stuff you claim to find odious in any real way, you would have to violate the principle of "free speech."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The ACLU worked to create this environment. To address all of this stuff you claim to find odious in any real way, you would have to violate the principle of "free speech."

Not really, you just have to make sure speech codes are agnostic to content, but liberals have a huge problem with that.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Speech codes are already "agnostic to content" but you knew that anyway.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
So what are y'alls thoughts on the free speech of anti-vaxxers?

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Free spech for some, miniature flags for the others.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

we must preserve free speech for the future of our white women and children.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MizPiz posted:

they get more vaccines

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lmao if you don't think every BDS supporter or just any American critic of a Likud pol isn't going to jail the moment "anti-Semitic hate speech" is criminalized.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

mrmcd posted:

Lmao if you don't think every BDS supporter or just any American critic of a Likud pol isn't going to jail the moment "anti-Semitic hate speech" is criminalized.

well thats one way to radicalize the dsa

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MizPiz posted:

they are allowed the same rights as everyone else, also their children will be forcibly vaccinated.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

they are allowed the same rights as everyone else, also their children will be forcibly vaccinated.

forcibly vaccinated you say. i'll take any excuse to post the rambling, frothing insanity that is dees illustration.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
that's not even an old one, it's his most recent

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

quote:

When the site was pushing into original comedy, Altchek told multiple staffers that he wanted to make “the next Chappelle Show, except it’s hosted by a trans woman of color.” Multiple former employees brought up the time Altchek introduced a video about the feminist #FreeTheNipple movement at a large staff gathering with a joke implying that the video still would have been excellent even if it hadn’t included boobs: “Titties aside,” he said, it was a great piece.
Altchek’s biggest misstep, however, was a get-out-the-vote effort called #69TheVote, which launched in late 2016. The conceit was that, while 69 million baby boomers and 69 million millennials are eligible to vote, only the former actually do so. “Boomers have always been on top,” the voiceover in the announcement video says. “Sometimes it seems like they're afraid to try new positions. But we're ready to go down on history” — a voice interrupts — “ahem, in history” — “oh right….”

What's his username?

fabergay egg has issued a correction as of 15:33 on Aug 24, 2017

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

#69thevote: go down on history

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

sword_man.gif posted:

forcibly vaccinated you say. i'll take any excuse to post the rambling, frothing insanity that is dees illustration.

Owns.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

sword_man.gif posted:

Dees is SO loving good.

I'd never touch a cock again in it kept Dees in business.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Isn't all this nerd poo poo what got us into this mess in the first place?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

nah cops were poo poo before nerds existed

tho it certainly doesnt help

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Calibanibal posted:

nah cops were poo poo before nerds existed

tho it certainly doesnt help

Look, the first organized police force didn't exist in this country until the 1830s and Thomas Jefferson was a nerd before that.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm sure someone who helped draft the Virginia Slave Codes of 1705 was way too into Hellenism or something like that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You're not getting it. Even before money was officially sanctioned as speech through CU, owners could do whatever they wanted with their media companies. The Fairness Doctrine was revoked by the Reagan administration with the exlicit argument that it violated principles of Free Speech, which is incredibly hard to argue. Free speech absolutism is smothering any real possibility of non mainstream speech actually being heard. To seek it out you have to do it autodidactically, which isn't the best means of becoming informed - because you can just as easily cotton onto reactionary and racist ideologies in an uncontrolled environment like the internet.

I'm not a free speech absolutist, nor is virtually anyone. I'm fine with libel and false advertising laws, conspiracy-related criminal offenses, fire-shouting exceptions etc. I'd even be okay with European-style limits on campaign commercials for greater election integrity. But none of that means free speech isn't still an important principle, particularly when it applies to personal, dissenting speech.

Not really, you just have to make sure speech codes are agnostic to content, but liberals have a huge problem with that.

No we don't, we invented that.

MizPiz posted:

Protected, but they should be required to get vaccinated anyway.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm not a free speech absolutist, nor is virtually anyone. I'm fine with libel and false advertising laws, conspiracy-related criminal offenses, fire-shouting exceptions etc. I'd even be okay with European-style limits on campaign commercials for greater election integrity. But none of that means free speech isn't still an important principle, particularly when it applies to personal, dissenting speech.

So you're for all sorts of speech restrictions that act in the interest of public good & safety, but not when it comes to suppressing explicitly genocidal ideology.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's just dissenting speech, it's important!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So you're for all sorts of speech restrictions that act in the interest of public good & safety, but not when it comes to suppressing explicitly genocidal ideology.

Yeah because if you define speech as against the public good and therefore unprotected for ideological reasons then whoops, there isn't free speech anymore.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

We should kill all minorities, leaving a pure white America like the founders intended. This does not go against the public good because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Blue Train posted:

We should kill all minorities, leaving a pure white America like the founders intended. This does not go against the public good because

Doing that would be against the public good for obvious reasons. Saying it isn't.