Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Stop being so overly aggressive to anyone that isn't agreeing with you.

I'm not trying to be aggressive toward anyone disagreeing with me, I'm saying it's inarguably a step backward in terms of functionality. Surely it would be just as usable to you and more valuable if it worked the way it used to but instead of just showing the clock and icons a second time showed the crisper, more legible notification text any time ambient display is invoked. It can't be a power issue, because then why show it when a notification comes in? It's just an arbitrary limitation that only serves to remove an existing feature for no tangible benefit.

Blue Train posted:

If you touch the small icon does it let you view the notification?

No, you cannot interact with anything on the ambient display in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Ugh that sucks. Looking at the screen shots it's halfway to how Motorola does it, but on the moto you can touch the icon and swipe to either go to the app or dismiss it, or just touch the icon to read the notification itself

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LastInLine posted:

I'm not trying to be aggressive toward anyone disagreeing with me, I'm saying it's inarguably a step backward in terms of functionality. Surely it would be just as usable to you and more valuable if it worked the way it used to but instead of just showing the clock and icons a second time showed the crisper, more legible notification text any time ambient display is invoked. It can't be a power issue, because then why show it when a notification comes in? It's just an arbitrary limitation that only serves to remove an existing feature for no tangible benefit.

I'm failing to see how it's not working how it should. It just seems it doesn't meet your specific personal preference.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Wasabi the J posted:

Y? I've seen you be the most vocal detractor of LG in the thread, but aside from the boot looping what else is bad?

Bad manufacturing runs leading to things like dirt inside of displays, inconsistent screen quality, batteries going nuclear, and other nonsense. And it just. keeps. happening.

Edit: The fact that LG is in charge of the Pixel 2 is honestly giving me some real doubts about it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 24, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kind of weird that it's just over a month to release, and no one has seen the new Pixels in the flesh. Like "accidentally" being photographed, or "accidentally" left some where.

We have though.

http://bgr.com/2017/08/07/google-pixel-2-live-photos-leak-design/

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Google Asssistant removed ,like ,the one feature Google Now had which was easily and simply scanning text from the screen I was looking at and giving me actions based on that selecting text.

It was super handy for copying numbers from a business card or a page of text quickly and reliably.

Its was really handy

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Still seems fine to me. Hold home, there's an option that says "what's on my screen" and seems to be working fine aggregating addresses, phone numbers, and articles based on keywords

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit: The fact that LG is in charge of the Pixel 2 is honestly giving me some real doubts about it.

It is tempting me towards the Pixel 2 instead of the Pixel XL 2.

I dunno. It's possible that Google might demand higher quality standards and approvals for their phones than LG has for their own product. Hopefully. Maybe.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

couldcareless posted:

I'm failing to see how it's not working how it should. It just seems it doesn't meet your specific personal preference.

Having an ambient display where you have to be looking at the phone when a notification comes in to see the details of it is a pretty silly design choice, and there's no real reason for it to be that way.

Jesus, BGR is poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sleepwalkers posted:

Having an ambient display where you have to be looking at the phone when a notification comes in to see the details of it is a pretty silly design choice, and there's no real reason for it to be that way.

Correct

quote:

Jesus, BGR is poo poo.

Also correct.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I've been double-tapping on it to show the lockscreen which will display the message content. Not the best solution but it works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

I've been double-tapping on it to show the lockscreen which will display the message content. Not the best solution but it works.

Didn't know that and yes, it's better than looking for the power button. Thanks!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

butt dickus posted:

I was going to ask if this still worked. Tapping on the glance screen usually lighted up the screen on my 6P which showed you the lockscreen for a short while and you could interact with the notifications then. If this was gone and the notification changes are what they are, that would have been a completely retarded step backward.

Nobody answered me earlier though about notifications that rearrange them self as you swipe them away. I can't be the only one that they do this to on multiple devices can I?

Also on LG build woes, I also feel that Qualcomm are to blame more for the boot loop of their quick hack job CPU than LG directly, however LG also did make the Flex2 which was I believe one of the devices that overheated the most with that 810 in it. They could almost not give that phone away. And even before that with the G3, their thermal management software and hardware wise sucks rear end.

As for the other build aspects of their devices, what the hell was up with that G6 build difference? If the Pixel 2 XL is built by them there is still no guarantee they won't find some way to gently caress it up completely.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Qualcomm sucks too and it's a shame that so many android phones use their chips

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Nobody answered me earlier though about notifications that rearrange them self as you swipe them away. I can't be the only one that they do this to on multiple devices can I?

Honestly I always act on notifications as they come in so I've never had enough stacked up to see if they rearrange when getting rid of them. I seldom swipe away notifications anyway, I usually act on them either by clicking through to the app or using the appropriate quick action. I can't say I've ever been in the pane long enough with enough notifications to test but I have kept it in mind. :)

Blue Train posted:

Qualcomm sucks too and it's a shame that so many android phones use their chips

Not really any other options though. MediaTek? Exynos? Even they have to use Qualcomm modems as far as I'm aware, why not just go with the SoC that's already got all that optimized once you're that far along.

There's certainly room for someone to compete with Qualcomm but it's such a capital investment and unless you're sure you have a longterm partner who will definitely be buying your poo poo no one's going to jump in. Honestly with the expertise Qualcomm brings to the table I'd probably be wary about getting the first try of some new entry anyway.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 24, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Not really any other options though. MediaTek? Exynos? Even they have to use Qualcomm modems as far as I'm aware, why not just go with the SoC that's already got all that optimized once you're that far along.

Yea it sucks. Intel tried and failed because lol, exynos is limited to samsung and mediatek has its own set of issues. There needs to be a competitor in order to actually force innovation but you are right, it requires too much investment and I would never trust a first gen chip either

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fwiw most people say the exynos chips are good from what I've seen tho

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Blue Train posted:

Fwiw most people say the exynos chips are good from what I've seen tho
They are, so is their NAND. Samsung should scrap software and stick to silicon.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Got a response from LG, after trying to ask their Twitter handlers for feedback on my experience trying to buy a not-hosed G6

quote:

Are these brand new or refurbishments?

Brand new, straight from T-Mobile corporate stores.

quote:

We are unable to speak regarding the other devices as we do not have information regarding those devices. If you have an issue with your device, LG would be more than happy to honor the manufacture's warranty for repair.

I just sent you pictures. Three out of three devices purchased have manufacturing defects. Whatever...What about the screwed up chamfer? Would I get a new device that doesn't have this fault, or would you swap the battery (leaving the fubar frame) and send it back?

quote:

Your device would be repaired and then returned to you.

At this point, I leave the conversation and wonder if anyone at LG USA who would care about knowing of this sort of experience can be contacted. Just as a public service to their poo poo company...

I plan to either buy a Galaxy S8 ($574 right now!), or an iPhone 6S and subscribed to Builds.io for my side-loaded tv-streaming/torrent/emulator app needs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PerrineClostermann posted:

Who takes their phone out of their pocket without unlocking via fingerprint?

Me, at work. I set my Bluetooth headphones as a trusted device so I can reply to texts without unlocking. Just wake and reply. Easy.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Trusted devices is good and I am waiting for them to remove or break it

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Update, I emailed NJT and they invited me to the beta test on the new version that fixes this issue.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Were there any issues with the N4/N5? Weren't they built by LG or am I confused

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Wouldn't the G6 most likely be the phone that served as the Pixel XL 2's base? It's design kinda seems like an evolution of that phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's no way to really know and that's likely not how the process works for those phones. The current Pixel isn't a reworking of any existing device, it's a ground up design by Google.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I really wish there was some easy explainer about the difference in responsibilities of manufacturers between the Nexus and Pixel programs. LG's past performance on their phones is irrelevant to any phone Google makes using LG's facilities and workforce.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

There's no way to really know and that's likely not how the process works for those phones. The current Pixel isn't a reworking of any existing device, it's a ground up design by Google.

RZA Encryption posted:

I really wish there was some easy explainer about the difference in responsibilities of manufacturers between the Nexus and Pixel programs. LG's past performance on their phones is irrelevant to any phone Google makes using LG's facilities and workforce.

Half the idiots in this thread truly do not understand that though, so expect to see bitching about LG all the way up to the device's release.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Considering it was manufacturing defects that we saw just now with 3 different G6's and nothing about long term or software issues, how is using their facilities and workforce not also prone to bringing usual LG quality control issues into the mix?

And the reason older LG's may have been better is because they were mostly made of plastic and before the 808/810 series of chips? That's only a Guess.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

logikv9 posted:

The N5 had great specs (camera aside), but low build quality; the back is held on with plastic snaps, not even glue, and the metal frame is paper thin and known to crack.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

logikv9 posted:

The n4 was def lg and didn't have any issues other than the glass back cracking

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

Considering it was manufacturing defects that we saw just now with 3 different G6's and nothing about long term or software issues, how is using their facilities and workforce not also prone to bringing usual LG quality control issues into the mix?

And the reason older LG's may have been better is because they were mostly made of plastic and before the 808/810 series of chips? That's only a Guess.

There's little evidence that supports a manufacturing process issue as the source of the problem (boot loop) rather than component choice. The latter is up to Google, not LG.

Also, Google can very well impose different quality standards on an ODM vs what LGE is doing with their own stuff.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 24, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

The current Pixel isn't a reworking of any existing device, it's a ground up design by Google.

Wasn't the shell at least based on some existing HTC phone with hardware buttons? I thought that was why the bezels were so big.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I remember someone saying that and then someone else actually posted pictures of the two phones and they looked nothing alike

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Blue Train posted:

I remember someone saying that and then someone else actually posted pictures of the two phones and they looked nothing alike

I don't know, this article does make them look pretty similar:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/the-google-pixel-a-nine-month-dash-to-mold-an-htc-phone-into-a-google-product/

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Jestery posted:

Google Asssistant removed ,like ,the one feature Google Now had which was easily and simply scanning text from the screen I was looking at and giving me actions based on that selecting text.

It was super handy for copying numbers from a business card or a page of text quickly and reliably.

Its was really handy

If you activate Google Assistant from an app (anywhere but a home screen) there's a button of "What's on my screen?" that performs the same function. On my Pixel it's an extra step but it's been working the same way as Google Now on Tap or whatever it was called.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Half the idiots in this thread truly do not understand that though, so expect to see bitching about LG all the way up to the device's release.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Confirmed.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

logikv9 posted:

I think the biggest failure point that plagued the N5 was the power button issues later in life. It had a pretty weak click from the start, and the switch would fail in a way that registered as a constant press or something like that. Pretty sure that's where the old "bang it on your desk" fix came from. Also, build quality was a little lacking, but it was a $350 phone with otherwise great specs.

The regular pixel really feels like a solid successor to the N5 to me. The N5X could have been so much more than it was, bootlooping aside even.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

And people haven't blamed HTC for the Pixel's issues like the Mic and Supply issues? Shouldn't that not be an issue if Google was in charge?

Sure Google can put strict requirements on LG, but what are they going to bring in their own physical workforce to replace the whole LG team to make sure it's done right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As similar as two rectangles can look made vaguely out of the same materials.

Let's break it down.

Front glass? Different cutouts.

Casing? Different antenna lines, different power button placements, different volume button placements, different cameras placement, different port placement. Etc.

The differences presented in components like this means they are wholly unique components for this device. They couldn't reuse anything about the casing. Open them up and the mainboards are different.

We are way past ship of theseus point here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

And it's not exactly like Google is infallible either.