Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

infernal machines posted:

in what sense is that "support"?

You'd have to ask Wikipedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol this is the clarification

Note: To clarify, support for e.g. Android 4.4.4 KitKat (Google's support cut-off), means at least security patches in 2014, 2016 and August 2017.[15] The updates may or may not reach actual users' devices; that depends on vendors. Google (and others) may support their own users' devices with a major upgrade only, instead of a security update to those older versions, but it's possible to do.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

are you ready for a samsung galaxy note event motherfuckers?

because you're getting one! today!!

how big will the screen be?
what stupid gimmick will they add only to abandon next year??
bixby???

get hype!!!

can't wait to see tim reimplement the same stupid gimmicks later when he gets panicked after seeing ads showing off said gimmicks

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

on the other hand, what does supported actually mean in the android world. 'acknowledge it exists but nothing works'?

p much

except that's what it means for everything with android

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Train posted:

I could see why you may think that, but supported status in this instance simply means you can download the factory image for it still

lmbo

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Blue Train posted:

I could see why you may think that, but supported status in this instance simply means you can download the factory image for it still

ROFL

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Blue Train posted:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Deploy The Pen-S

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
they support your ability to download the file from them. you are supported by an easy one click. please stop laughing. they are a serious business

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Stymie posted:

can't wait to see tim reimplement the same stupid gimmicks later when he gets panicked after seeing ads showing off said gimmicks

agreed, if tim haven't already done so with the idiotic 8 (and tim's limp control of leaks like you've always said)

they are in a feedback loop of some sort, an ouroboros of bad phones and decisions

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
a human phonipede

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
clayton bixby

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yospos bix

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol

LastInLine posted:

In other Oreo news, I was just doing the same thing I do every day on my Pixel XL and listening to a little Google Play Music while I worked. When I was done I woke the phone to stop playback but the pause button was unresponsive on the app and I paused the music on the notification and swiped the notification away.

The entire phone then became unresponsive. The back and home keys did nothing but the overview button brought up split screen mode and activated Chrome beneath GPM. I dragged that down and away and pushing the overview button again allowed me to swipe away GPM. Unfortunately from that point on, every app had the half of the Chrome windown covering the bottom half of the screen. Even after I used the option to restart Nova in the settings the bottom half of the screen showed my last Chrome window with the icons and app pullup over top of it. It was present inside any app I opened.

I would've taken a screenshot but the whole image was covered in personal information, both on the desktop behind Chrome and in the Chrome window itself.

I had to restart the phone to get it to work. Kind of a far cry from where my Pixel was a week ago.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM "PLAY" IN GOOGLE MUSIC ON MY PHONE. ITS A PIXEL XL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONG WITH THE MUSIC. WHEN I WAS DONE I WOKE THE PHONE TO STOP PLAYBACK BIT THE PAUSE BUTTON WAS UNRESPONSIVE ON THE APP AND I PAUSED THE MUSIC ON THE NOTIFICATION AND SWIPED THE NOTIFICATION AWAY. THE ENTIRE PHONE THEN BECAME UNRESPONSIVE.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's hosed up

quote:

I have a lot of other criticisms about the software beyond that bizarre failure (which, it should be noted, I haven't experienced anything like since the early Lollipop days of the Nexus 5). It just doesn't feel finished in any meaningful way.

The colored notifications are truly terrible, especially on things which change the lockscreen to cover art since the notifications themselves take their colors from that same cover art allowing them to get lost in the background. Beyond that obvious usability mistake, the visual incongruity and poor legibility of colored notifications should've been enough to see what a bad idea it was.

The auto fill providers sounds like a great idea until you realize that Chrome isn't compatible yet which means you can't use it on the web or apps which use web views. I'm not sure how such a thing is allowed to happen but there it is.

I was under the impression that notifications were supposed to be more manageable under Oreo with notification channels, dots, snoozing, etc. but to my mind they're more unwieldy and difficult to understand than they were before. I'm not even sure where half of the stuff is managed and you've got priority, dots, lights, sounds, and channels all to deal with and all, as far as I know, in separate places. For an OS which is built around acting on notifications, I feel like this is less than ideal.

The new ambient display is terrible. Why yes, definitely take away the ability to read notifications even though I explicitly said I want to be able to see all content on my lockscreen, that way it's entirely useless. Why would I want information when I could have the silhouette of an icon at a quarter of the normal size? I mean, it's not like there are multiple apps using an icon shaped like a chat bubble or anything and of course you can't use color to distinguish between similarly shaped icons.

Then of course there's still Google bullshit to deal with like randomly moving elements around like the date in the notification shade or removing the next alarm from the ambient display because gently caress you. Unlike Lollipop which was buggy and unfinished, this doesn't seem to be introducing a new style to the OS so I'm puzzled as to how so many bad decisions came to be included in it.

Also there is now a notification that tells you apps are running in the background, even if the app itself provides a notification. You can't dismiss that poo poo either so it's just always there lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

It's hosed up

Also there is now a notification that tells you apps are running in the background, even if the app itself provides a notification. You can't dismiss that poo poo either so it's just always there lol

the notification for backgrounded apps is almost certainly an attempt to irritate users who insist on using poorly coded apps but what google seems to have forgotten is every android screenshot ever where the notification icons have encroached on the system information part of the bar and extend leftward to infinity

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol i remember google announcing colored notifications and saying that was going to be abused immediately. glad to see that come to fruition

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

lol i remember google announcing colored notifications and saying that was going to be abused immediately. glad to see that come to fruition

this isnt even the abuse stage this is just the google not thinking things through stage

tbf it looks alright in the notification shade itself (at least while other notifications are all white) but all the media stuff looks like the new itunes with the way it colors the controls and notification and when its on the lockscreen and its the cover art welp i hope that cover art is really plain b/c you wont be seeing that notification clearly at all

the abuse is going to be obnoxious to deal with tho no doubt

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i kinda wish i was more familiar with ios through the years b/c at least on the mac even when apple makes changes i can see what they were trying to accomplish. some things they do arent perfect and some of them are bad but i can see the logic in them (lol remember being able to tweet from the notification center?) google just changes poo poo because its been a year and people learned where things were and how they looked so time to gently caress poo poo up

im not sure but im almost certain the lockscreen clock has changed with every android release some years its bold some years its thin some years its an all caps date some years its not and this year its a little smaller than it was before and the date is back to not being all caps but its fixed width because i guess they wanted some AESTHETIC up in this bitch

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The clock has def changed a few times, and maintenance isn't sexy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

(lol remember being able to tweet from the notification center?)

i liked that, easy shitposting without having to go to that awful website

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I hope its possible to dynamically change the notification color so they blink and do other irritating poo poo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bullguy is still raging about the mere idea of watching videos in 720p

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

LastInLine posted:

google just changes poo poo because its been a year and people learned where things were and how they looked so time to gently caress poo poo up

im not sure but im almost certain the lockscreen clock has changed with every android release some years its bold some years its thin some years its an all caps date some years its not and this year its a little smaller than it was before and the date is back to not being all caps but its fixed width because i guess they wanted some AESTHETIC up in this bitch

promotions within the company are given by a committee based on "impact" and it's way easier to sell changing things for no reason or launching a new product that's worse than it's predecessor as "impactful" and promo-worthy. whether the result is successful or even necessary isn't considered. as a result you get poo poo like what you said in android, or e.g. the current years-long sequence of unnecessary chat app rewrites each more irrelevant than the last

this is also why major changes tend to be on a six month cycle

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

promotions within the company are given by a committee based on "impact" and it's way easier to sell changing things for no reason or launching a new product that's worse than it's predecessor as "impactful" and promo-worthy. whether the result is successful or even necessary isn't considered. as a result you get poo poo like what you said in android, or e.g. the current years-long sequence of unnecessary chat app rewrites each more irrelevant than the last

ive got to ask then how is it that the promotion committee came to value clock size changes? like when youre in front of the career tribunal why arent results or necessity taken into account?

my absolute favorite part of this forum is learning the intracacies of the weird dysfunctions in corporate cultures

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

ive got to ask then how is it that the promotion committee came to value clock size changes? like when youre in front of the career tribunal why arent results or necessity taken into account?

my absolute favorite part of this forum is learning the intracacies of the weird dysfunctions in corporate cultures

the answer is that android users get bored with consistency and reliability. they prefer to see constant churn of UI changes because it makes upgrades more exciting. they think the OS is an end in and of itself, not a means for getting things done.

we forget now, but there was a time when "widgets" were considered essential components of your android desktop. clock is the only widget that wasn't completely idiotic. hence four clock android screenshots.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

the answer is that android users get bored with consistency and reliability. they prefer to see constant churn of UI changes because it makes upgrades more exciting. they think the OS is an end in and of itself, not a means for getting things done.

we forget now, but there was a time when "widgets" were considered essential components of your android desktop. clock is the only widget that wasn't completely idiotic. hence four clock android screenshots.

thats a good guess but its an obv. outsider guess because while you arent wrong about android users getting bored with consistency and reliability (thats a hallmark of technofetishism) theres no way that google is making any decisions at all with regards to what users want and anyone who has used androids (or i suspect been within googles culture) knows that

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

honestly tho id prob. accept that its not boredom on the part of the users but boredom on the part of google itself

youre certainly right about making upgrades more exciting and it being an end in and of itself and with that being internalized by google i can now understand change for changes sake

so yeah i guess youre right except for the part about it being about the users lol

also tho widgets own and i love them

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Progressive JPEG posted:

Literally why Microsoft made "leverages the work of others" a core component of employee evaluation.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

describes an android using coworker at my previous non-computer-toucher job almost perfectly. dude was a "computer whiz" type, and liked rediscovering where Microsoft had moved an obscure setting to after each update, etc.

dude thought I was computer illiterate because I didn't know a bunch of dumbass Windows power user poo poo, and was shocked to learn that I was making stupid little iOS apps in my spare time, because "I thought you had to know a lot about computers to do that stuff." like, in his mind knowing where weird windows settings are and a bunch of other computer janitor stuff was Being A Computer Genius.

glad I don't work with you anymore, brandon 🖕

Steve Ballmer
Aug 25, 2013

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

Doc Block posted:

describes an android using coworker at my previous non-computer-toucher job almost perfectly. dude was a "computer whiz" type, and liked rediscovering where Microsoft had moved an obscure setting to after each update, etc.

dude thought I was computer illiterate because I didn't know a bunch of dumbass Windows power user poo poo, and was shocked to learn that I was making stupid little iOS apps in my spare time, because "I thought you had to know a lot about computers to do that stuff." like, in his mind knowing where weird windows settings are and a bunch of other computer janitor stuff was Being A Computer Genius.

glad I don't work with you anymore, brandon 🖕

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Management posted:

i've used android since 2.2 and imo every big update has nailed down additional parts of the UI into a usable and consistent state. there is flux in areas where they haven't decided on a final direction, but overall it's gotten better. of course i've been using google phones since like 4.1 or so, so i i've never had to deal with wacky manufacturer skins. like when i see someone using a samsung my brain recoils that they put the OS "back" key to the right of the home key. this would make sense for right-to-left languages but i live in america and samsung is korean

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i'll show what i'm talking about. here's the standard android OS buttons that you can access inside all apps:

the right one opens the task-switcher interface, similar to alt-tab on a computer or double-tapping the home key on iOS. middle one is the home key, which takes you back to your home screen. left one is the "back" key, which backs you out to the previous screen of your app, or like if you're in the camera app because another app launched it to take a photo, it will take you back to the first app. now let's look at samsung:

i read an article saying that samsung lets you change it so the back button is on the left, but holy crap it is so silly that google allows such a basic UI idea to be "customized" in such a silly way

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
im sorry for ur stockholm syndrome

Weed goku
Aug 25, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i've used android since 2.2

nigga hasnt seen pussy in 6 years😂 LOL

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i'll show what i'm talking about. here's the standard android OS buttons that you can access inside all apps:

the right one opens the task-switcher interface, similar to alt-tab on a computer or double-tapping the home key on iOS. middle one is the home key, which takes you back to your home screen. left one is the "back" key, which backs you out to the previous screen of your app, or like if you're in the camera app because another app launched it to take a photo, it will take you back to the first app. now let's look at samsung:

i read an article saying that samsung lets you change it so the back button is on the left, but holy crap it is so silly that google allows such a basic UI idea to be "customized" in such a silly way

the soft buttons are the most hilarious failure of android UI that somehow still persists to this day, even on standroid

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

but it gives you a tiny sliver of extra screen to watch youtubes!! and allows the marketing team to list a marginally larger number for the screen size! duh :rolleyes:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

but it gives you a tiny sliver of extra screen to watch youtubes!! and allows the marketing team to list a marginally larger number for the screen size! duh :rolleyes:

of course now that they are making them all wider than 16:9 that extra youtube space is barely relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmbo

CLAM DOWN posted:

Now it's even on my loving lockscreen, eat my rear end Google