Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lol if you aren't planning for total societal collapse by buying six thousand rifles and burying them in your back yard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Feldegast42 posted:

I think the big doomsday fear is that Trump won't sign it in time. While they can definitely override his veto (and have the votes to) he has 10 days from when he receives a bill to either sign it or send it back. If he gets that bill within 10 days of the debt ceiling and he decides to sit on it (because he loves bankruptcy and that's his thing) then poo poo will hit the fan.

Of course he is a gigantic pussy as well so I'm guessing someone will strong arm him into signing it, as what happened with the Russia sanctions.

You'd think Congress knows this and will avoid that situation. But it's Congress so...

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Covok posted:

"Star Wars The Force Awakens would be better if Rey and Finn weren't the main characters. They are just so boring and unrelatable. Rey is such a Mary Sue and doesn't earn anything in the movie that she pulls off. It's like the plot goes "she's a strong female character: she can just have all the powers." It's blatant pandering. I mean, the jedi mindtrick scene was atrocious and shits on the entire franchise.

Finn is just a bumbling oaf with no place in the film and takes screentime away from better characters.

Also, Kylo Ren was such a wuss and could have been much cooler if he was more like Vader. His emotional outbursts ruin the movie. If we had a cool, rational, effective character like Kylo Ren, the movie would be a lot better."

Force Awakens was bad and no amount of insinuating I'm a lovely person for thinking it makes it any less bad.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/900702439233421313

It was reported the man had his middle finger out of the window as he did it
Seems like pure luck nobody died.

So nowadays if a car drives into a crowd, it's essentially a coin flip if they'll swear allegiance to Trump or to ISIS.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cochise posted:

Yes. There's even alt-right and antifa flavored furries that have it out for each other. There was some recent poo poo with those groups that drew the attention of the FBI and probably the ATF.

There was a guy in a wolf outfit protesting the nazis in Boston last week with a sign about how nazis don't own wolf identities, or something like that. Dude must have been miserable in the heat.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

rkajdi posted:

Again, oddly enough this makes me feel better. If we're at the point where gold bugs (or lol bitcoiners) are the only people with actual cash, it was going to be a shitshow anyway regardless of what I did. Just like the Korean nuclear thing, it's one of those things that I'm trying to get over so I can operate normally during the day.

I'm also someone with a severe anxiety problem that I see someone for, so feel free to laugh at the literal crazy person. I'm honestly just looking for someone to help talk me off the ledge so I can function for the rest of the workday.

No one is laughing at you. We all wake up at 2:30 in the morning wondering if this is the day that it all goes to poo poo. We've just resigned ourselves to the fact that humanity is inherently a self-destructive monkey species that should have never come out of the trees.

Just relax, have a drink or some weed and join the rest of us at laughing at the absurdity of the universe. Once you stop giving a poo poo about anything, the water is fine.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Somehow I'm not tired of this account yet.

https://twitter.com/realGollumTrump/status/900727084305305601

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

It is also good to do calming rituals and take care of yourself. Distinguishing that from disaster preparedness allows you to do both things more effectively.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nazzadan posted:

Force Awakens was bad and no amount of insinuating I'm a lovely person for thinking it makes it any less bad.

Only read the bolded parts then remember the Right-Wing reaction to the film's lead cast and the infamous "little white cuckball" image. Then remember you can see the same exact kind of critiscm on any show/movie/song/book that features progressive themes but regressive feel they have a right to have it pander to them.

Edit: I'm not saying you can't like it, I'm saying "This is how white supremacists try to couch anti-diversity criticism in a way where the general populace sees it as reasonable and tricks the boardroom into approving more white-het-male lead movies."

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 24, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Radish posted:

What the hell was it about MLP that attracted so many bigots for a show about friendship with an all female cast? Was it just that creepy nerds got into it and then since a lot of these guys are gamer gate style people they just became the public face of that fandom outside of the intended audience?

they want to gently caress the ponies

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

I know stuff like this is nothing new, but I'm so loving tired of how disingenuous Right Wing messaging is. Like, I'm genuinely exhausted by it.

How does anyone look at this and go 'yeah, gently caress the democrats!' (the answer is idiots. It's always idiots)

For gently caress's sake, these guys control all three branches of government. how about a little bit of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for the failure to do anything resembling governing when they control the loving government!

It's like writing a shopping list, going to the store with your quadruple-amputee spouse, putting none of the poo poo you actually wanted in the cart, and then getting home and shrieking 'WHY DIDN'T YOU GET ANY OF THE GROCERIES I WANTED YOU PIECE OF poo poo!" Meanwhile, the neighbors overhear this and go, "yeah gently caress that useless cripple why didn't he help put the side of beef in the cart with his two inch nubs."

gently caress.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BootStrap posted:

... We all wake up at 2:30 in the morning wondering if this is the day that it all goes to poo poo. We've just resigned ourselves to the fact that humanity is inherently a self-destructive monkey species that should have never come out of the trees.

Uh speak for yourself.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/900702439233421313

It was reported the man had his middle finger out of the window as he did it

Yeeeeesh, I read up on the victim they were protesting the death of, they should really pick their battles better. The victim carved up a dude like a pumpkin then sliced a cop before getting shot, something Pink News leaves out.

Unless they are protesting that the police have Kiwi down as a man in paperwork, if that's the case then sure go ahead.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

:chloe:

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
You can do both! I garden both as a form of self care, and to learn to produce my own food.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

So they lead with the fact that Trump only has four confirmed justices against a group of people who mostly has eight years of presidency. Cool

Also how does Kellyanne even look like a demonic hellspawn in her Twitter profile, is there not a single flattering photo of her

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Shortest Path posted:

Furries are very much still a thing, and most of them hate the MLP folks too.

It seems that the internet (except for a few really lovely corners) has pretty much settled on a "mostly harmless" label for furries.

But it is worth noting that one of the arguments used by fundies trying to get a bathroom bill in Texas was that it would lead to furries and otherkin unleashing their "unbridled passions" to introduce "greater forms of depravity".

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/893144059447046145

Which is clearly silly talk. If anything Furries would be against unbridled passions because many have put a lot of thought into the selection and style of that bridle dammit.

Seriously though, I think that non-binary folks are going to be the next ones up for fear mongering. I'm a bit surprised the anti-trans folks haven't already latched onto gender fluidity more to back up their "a guy will just say he's a woman to go into the women's bathroom!" bullshit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've seen a fair amount of "there are only two genders, stop being anti-science" bullshit from the usual suspects over the past year or so.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

Pretty sure there's only one Lyra plush.

Is it unreasonable to just say "it's a good show and these days it's trivially easy to setup fan communities around it"?

Also pretty sure it was the other way around wrt Bronies/Furries. It was Bronies trying to distance themselves from Furries, and I think that was primarily at the outset of Friendship is Magic's fandom starting up. I don't think there are many furries that hate MLP any more than non furries.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Phoix posted:

He's having a morning.

edit: and he's halfway through another tweet now

So it only last about 2 years before Obama outshines him again?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I've seen a fair amount of "there are only two genders, stop being anti-science" bullshit from the usual suspects over the past year or so.

Not to be dumb, but that's more or less what the LGBT community says too. You're male, female, in-between, or N/A. I don't get where this "six thousand genders" thing came from.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

Seriously though, I think that non-binary folks are going to be the next ones up for fear mongering. I'm a bit surprised the anti-trans folks haven't already latched onto gender fluidity more to back up their "a guy will just say he's a woman to go into the women's bathroom!" bullshit.

I think most of them don't even know it think that's a thing. That's basically what they're conception of trans people is right now anyway, see Mike Huckabee's "well golly, I totally would've said I was - girl so I could creep on girls in the locker room!" comment.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not to be dumb, but that's more or less what the LGBT community says too. You're male, female, in-between, or N/A. I don't get where this "six thousand genders" thing came from.

It came from Tumblr

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I've arrived.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The night after Trump was elected I went to an anti-Trump "not our president" rally. There were a bunch of furries mingled in with the anti-Trump protestors and, opposing them, a roughly equal number of confederate-flag-waving Trumpites, some with swastika tattoos. I took one look, thought "well, I know which side I'm on," and went over and stood next to the furries.

Furries are tragic, neonazis are a tragedy.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SirPablo posted:

I've arrived.

Are you sure this isn't an auto-follow? Is it verified?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

This irks me because there are only two biological genders sexes (with some light chromosome alterations here and there) but there are many colors of sexuality gender identity.

One makes sure I don't kill you with the wrong medicine or diagnosis, the other is who you think is hot.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Uh speak for yourself.

Yeah we're weird and confusing sometimes but inherently headed towards obliteration and there's nothing we can do about it? Ehhhh...

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 24, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Also MLP reminder.

Two times it came up during the 2016 crazyness.

1) Zodiac Killer said the apple horse was his favorite.
2) When Donnie Wife #3894759852398 rippoffed Michelle Obama's speech, a talking head went to TV and said that Tropy-wife#2348975928759 was obviously quoting a MLP episode.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thalantos posted:

You can do both! I garden both as a form of self care, and to learn to produce my own food.

This too! If people are starting to hoard or excessively prepare in order to treat anxiety symptoms, it may be useful to look at treating the anxiety separately from disaster preparedness too. There are many right paths. :h:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Feldegast42 posted:

I think the big doomsday fear is that Trump won't sign it in time. While they can definitely override his veto (and have the votes to) he has 10 days from when he receives a bill to either sign it or send it back. If he gets that bill within 10 days of the debt ceiling and he decides to sit on it (because he loves bankruptcy and that's his thing) then poo poo will hit the fan.

Of course he is a gigantic pussy as well so I'm guessing someone will strong arm him into signing it, as what happened with the Russia sanctions.

My fear was that the GOP wouldn't be able to get the Tea Party or whatever in line to vote for the bill, or that leadership would be too scared to put a bill forward. Is that something that's a basic non-issue now? I figure there are enough sane Democrats to vote it through, but that requires a bill to come up. But a President actually saying that he won't allow payment of the debt is strict against the constitution, so I'm fairly certain that if he tried it impeachment would be the way Congress could/would proceed.

Also, Blue Footed Booby and Drone? Thank you so much for replying in good faith. Both of you really helped me start getting my thinking in a better place. Especially BFB, because you have me thinking something that's a bit smarter in the medium term and is worth doing regardless of the debt issue. And it doesn't involve anything crazy like keeping huge amounts of money hidden in my house. Thanks both of you, and I'm sorry if I shitted this thread up with dumb things, though I doubt it could any worse than the anime derail a few days ago.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That never existed either. Nonbinary people exist, and many cultures have genders other than "man" and "woman" as well.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Red Baron posted:

This irks me because there are only two biological genders (with some light chromosome alterations here and there) but there are many colors of sexuality.

One makes sure I don't kill you with the wrong medicine or diagnosis, the other is who you think is hot.

"Biological gender" is called sex and it's a related but distinct concept from gender.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

rkajdi posted:

My fear was that the GOP wouldn't be able to get the Tea Party or whatever in line to vote for the bill, or that leadership would be too scared to put a bill forward. Is that something that's a basic non-issue now? I figure there are enough sane Democrats to vote it through, but that requires a bill to come up. But a President actually saying that he won't allow payment of the debt is strict against the constitution, so I'm fairly certain that if he tried it impeachment would be the way Congress could/would proceed.

Also, Blue Footed Booby and Drone? Thank you so much for replying in good faith. Both of you really helped me start getting my thinking in a better place. Especially BFB, because you have me thinking something that's a bit smarter in the medium term and is worth doing regardless of the debt issue. And it doesn't involve anything crazy like keeping huge amounts of money hidden in my house. Thanks both of you, and I'm sorry if I shitted this thread up with dumb things, though I doubt it could any worse than the anime derail a few days ago.

Nah, this thread is for you too, friend. We're in this together. Take care of yourself.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Pakled posted:

"Biological gender" is called sex and it's a related but distinct concept from gender.

I did not know that, I'll correct my post.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

There Bias Two posted:

Are you sure this isn't an auto-follow? Is it verified?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

https://ageofshitlords.com/facebook-now-has-71-gender-options
(E.: obviously, this is an artefact from the culture wars, not a serious source of information.)

The thing is, it makes a major difference if you have a dichotomy or an enumeration.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Pakled posted:

Also intersex is a thing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

that trump tweet about the debt ceiling, despite being stupid as all loving hell, is actually somewhat good news

it shows that trump has been convinced he just wants the stupid thing raised and doesn't want it paired with stuff. if he's saying they shoulda tacked it on to the va bill, he has been convinced that a clean bill is the way to go instead of some idiot HFC proposal.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The thing that really makes me sad about trans-hate is that even if transition wasn't something that can keep trans folks from killing themselves, why the gently caress should anyone care? It's the same thing as gay marriage. Jim becoming Jen or Jen becoming Jim and presenting as their preferred gender has absolutely 0 impact on anyone except Jim/Jen and their romantic partner. So why the gently caress is it anyone else's business? If it makes them happier than they are right now, it's something we all should either support or just not give a poo poo about.

It's why all this anti-LGBT poo poo makes me nauseated. They're not forcing you to get gay married or transition or anything else. They just want to live their life in peace and bigots aren't letting them and working to convince other people they're scary and should be punished.

It's really depressing/upsetting. I hope all the trans goons out there are staying safe and mentally healthy through this. I can't imagine how much it sucks.:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Red Baron posted:

I did not know that, I'll correct my post.

I don't blame you for not knowing, cause "sex" and "gender" have been used interchangeably for years, but when talking about trans issues it's important to know the distinction. Sex is physical and biological, gender is social and psychological.

• Locked thread