Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

mellowjournalism posted:

Dammit someone sell me a Sandy bridge or newer because I was so hyped to finally replace my processor this week but it looks like it'll be another few months. I just need any old used chip because my decrepit i7 870 is a champ with VR (who'da thunk?) but it can't run Onward without making GBS threads the bed. Don't really need much more power to the engines, just a liiittle more to keep up.

Any recommendations on what would be a good generation/price to shoot for in the second-hand market? Is there a new and cool place to look for used computer bits besides ebay/SA-Mart?

I sent you a PM to sell you a certain type of bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
Do we know what socket the Coffee Lake processors will use (i.e. is it new)? I could totally be down with a medium build intended to upgrade. I did this like 10 years ago with a Celeron. Could do the same with the video card.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bacon! posted:

I sent you a PM to sell you a certain type of bridge

A Brooklyn bridge is what it sounds like you're selling :P

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ChiliMac posted:

Do we know what socket the Coffee Lake processors will use (i.e. is it new)? I could totally be down with a medium build intended to upgrade. I did this like 10 years ago with a Celeron. Could do the same with the video card.

Coffee Lake uses the LGA1151 socket like Skylake and Kaby Lake, but it won't work with existing LGA1151 motherboards. You'll need a board with the new Z370 chipset.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

repiv posted:

Coffee Lake uses the LGA1151 socket like Skylake and Kaby Lake, but it won't work with existing LGA1151 motherboards. You'll need a board with the new Z370 chipset.

Poop.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Palladium posted:

3rd gen i5s.

Thanks! Although I may just fall for bacon!'s offer of some novel method to join two municipalities separated by a river

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
gaah next time i buy computer parts i need to remember to select similar shipping times!!! can't really finish it off until the ssd gets here, which is coincidentally the one to arrive latest :saddowns:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

inkwell posted:

gaah next time i buy computer parts i need to remember to select similar shipping times!!! can't really finish it off until the ssd gets here, which is coincidentally the one to arrive latest :saddowns:
It always takes longer to assemble than you think, and you can still see if BIOS posts and stuff. It probably won't be that much of a delay.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Frogfingers posted:

Get an M.2 SSD instead, maybe go up to the 1700 if you can spare? My only advice is double and triple check the RAM on QVLs before you settle on a mobo or a set of sticks.

I have absolutely no idea what a QVL is.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't go with an M.2 on that board, the slot's behind the graphics card. It's gonna get a wee toasty there at high-load.

I'd also recommend maybe going with something like the Asus STRIX B350 Mobo instead, because you really don't want a motherboard with vertical-aligned SATA slots. A big graphics card with block them.

So, if I get the motherboard you linked, should I get an M.2 SSD instead? Or would that one have the same problem?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I have absolutely no idea what a QVL is.

So, if I get the motherboard you linked, should I get an M.2 SSD instead? Or would that one have the same problem?

QVL = Qualified Vendor List. Most motherboard makers test out different sticks of RAM on their motherboard early on to ensure it works without issue - and also to ensure a minimum of people contact their support angrily saying their "WeBeRAM" sticks don't work in their motherboard. So when we say to go to the vendor's website and look under the "downloads & support" section of the page detailing your prospective motherboard, you'll usually find the QVL sheet there. They typically don't update them past the first few months, so on an older board, they're far more inaccurate.

As for the M.2 drive - they're honestly a much 'neater' (as in less cable clutter) form factor, excepting the speed boost from an NVMe drive like the Samsung 960 EVO.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

QVL = Qualified Vendor List. Most motherboard makers test out different sticks of RAM on their motherboard to ensure it works without issue. So when we say to go to the vendor's website and look under the "downloads & support" section of the page detailing your prospective motherboard, you'll find that there.

As for the M.2 drive - they're honestly a much 'neater' (as in less cable clutter) form factor, excepting the speed boost from an NVMe drive like the Samsung 960 EVO.

Thanks.

As for the issue with the M.2 slot being next to the GPU, should I get an M.2->PCIe 3.0 adapter?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Munkeymon posted:

Is PC Power & Cooling still a good brand? I've got a ten year old power supply from them and, aside from needing adapters for SATA drives, still works fine as long as I only want one graphics card, but it's not modular, so there's a massive cable bundle zip tied up in a corner which is not so bad in my giant old case but I'm getting a more reasonable-sized one this time. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NCH323/pc-power--cooling-power-supply-ppcmk3s750 looks like it would keep cable clutter down.

Nobody even cares about their brand anymore, eVGA PSUs based on Seasonic and Superflower designs are the new overlords.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm still getting used to watching PC games toggle the settings to "EVERYTHING. EVERY. GODDAMN. THING. MAX. TOP. ULTRA. gently caress IT, WE GIVE UP."

Can't wait for the Asus 3440*1440 HDR, IPS, & GSync monitor dropping at the end of the year. Destiny 2 is going to get a little crazy with that and I cannot wait.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Munkeymon posted:

Is PC Power & Cooling still a good brand? I've got a ten year old power supply from them and, aside from needing adapters for SATA drives, still works fine as long as I only want one graphics card, but it's not modular, so there's a massive cable bundle zip tied up in a corner which is not so bad in my giant old case but I'm getting a more reasonable-sized one this time. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NCH323/pc-power--cooling-power-supply-ppcmk3s750 looks like it would keep cable clutter down.

PC P&C got bought by OCZ a long time ago, and now OCZ is sub-brand of Toshiba, so I'd call a hard pass on PC P&C since they're not the same as they once were. EVGA's G2 and G3 PSUs are always a good recommendation, as they carry a seven year warranty to the 650W SKU and 10 years with the 750W+. No one really knows what's going to happen to Corsair now that they've been bought out by a VC firm, but the RMx series are all solid recommendations, and even the 550W, which is pretty much enough for any single-card PC build (barring some exceptions - lol AMD) carries a 10 year warranty.

Ret
Sep 17, 2004

Hey I'm in Canada and I'm looking for a new gaming rig to replace a 4 year old budget system.
I have a Acer x34 3440 x 1440 monitor already which I'm looking to use to the best of it's ability. Planning to get a 1080 TI to help with that.

From what everyone says Ryzen is the way to go which I'm alright with but I see some maybe conflicting information

Ultimately, the $500 AMD R7 1800X is effectively equivalent to an i5-4690K, which once retailed for $240. Tradeoffs abound, as usual, but one thing is clear: The 1800X is not impressive in the BF1 department, and is matched evenly by 2014 Intel architectures.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2822-amd-ryzen-r7-1800x-review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks/page-7

Looking to spend ~$2-2.5K CAD

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
What's the difference between WD Red and WD 'normal' drives? I'm looking to add a second internal disk to complement my 500GB Samsung evo. Something like 2-3TB I think. Mainly for videos and tv downloads, music archives, steam backups, stream captures and similar stuff. Would such a drive be suitable for live capturing game footage with shadow play, or should I try to direct that to the SSD? Are there any other brands worth looking for (or avoiding)?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deanut Pancer posted:

What's the difference between WD Red and WD 'normal' drives? I'm looking to add a second internal disk to complement my 500GB Samsung evo. Something like 2-3TB I think. Mainly for videos and tv downloads, music archives, steam backups, stream captures and similar stuff. Would such a drive be suitable for live capturing game footage with shadow play, or should I try to direct that to the SSD? Are there any other brands worth looking for (or avoiding)?

The Red models are designed for NAS, so it should suite you fine. Blues are basic desktop usage, Blacks are heavy general use (games, etc), Purple is for surveillance recording, and Greens are meant to be tossed in industrial crushers because they're utter crap.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ret posted:

Hey I'm in Canada and I'm looking for a new gaming rig to replace a 4 year old budget system.
I have a Acer x34 3440 x 1440 monitor already which I'm looking to use to the best of it's ability. Planning to get a 1080 TI to help with that.

From what everyone says Ryzen is the way to go which I'm alright with but I see some maybe conflicting information

Ultimately, the $500 AMD R7 1800X is effectively equivalent to an i5-4690K, which once retailed for $240. Tradeoffs abound, as usual, but one thing is clear: The 1800X is not impressive in the BF1 department, and is matched evenly by 2014 Intel architectures.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2822-amd-ryzen-r7-1800x-review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks/page-7

Looking to spend ~$2-2.5K CAD

That's because the 1800x is for the lazy. If you are buying a R7 the 1700 is the best price/performance of the bunch. Once OC'ed they all pretty much hit 3.8-4.0 and perform exactly the same. The box cooler that cames with the 1700 is also an additional savings and, for the most part, won't throttle a moderate OC.

With that said if you are looking for max frames you are either looking at a 7700k or one of the new Intel chip sets. The Zen chips are competitive, but Intel still reigns supreme. However, if you fall into the use case of doing a bunch of production work, streaming your gaming, and various other heavily multi-threaded work loads the R7 is a very capable chip.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Deanut Pancer posted:

NAS drives are often 5400 RPM, perhaps for noise reasons. They are quite loud, and I don't regret getting a Red, even though it turned out to only have 5400 RPM, I probably wouldn't have been able to tolerate the noise.

Think it was SA who recommended it to me in the first place.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Don't buy a 7700k now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Red models are designed for NAS, so it should suite you fine. Blues are basic desktop usage, Blacks are heavy general use (games, etc), Purple is for surveillance recording, and Greens are meant to be tossed in industrial crushers because they're utter crap.

I don't think they even do Greens anymore, except for SSDs. They also added Red Pro (those run at 7200 rpm) and Gold ("enterprise-class"/"Datacenter", but they're similarly priced as Black and Red Pro).

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I have a 1TB Green with IntelliPower. Even if you come across one for like 10 bucks don't bother.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think I have one of those in an old family PC that's rarely used. The other day I booted it to check for updates - big mistake (both of those) :v:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Greens are pretty explicitly intended as bulk storage for media or something else where you don't particularly care about sub-10ms latency or >100MBps speed or poo poo like that. They work fine for that purpose in my experience. Running your OS on them is a recipe for sadness though, as should be obvious.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I use it for mass media storage and it still sucks. The IntellPower thing (which I don't even see on Western Digital's site anymore) shuts off the drive when not in use and sometimes there can be a rather long delay when you double-click something like a folder or file and it takes several long seconds for it to turn the drive on, spool it and actually access it.

Yes, I'm that petty but god drat is it annoying when you're pairing it with a SSD and you 're going from instanteous to "welp, give me a second while I get the ol' pull start goin' on this hard drive here gotta adjust the choke'n'all".

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

PC P&C got bought by OCZ a long time ago, and now OCZ is sub-brand of Toshiba, so I'd call a hard pass on PC P&C since they're not the same as they once were. EVGA's G2 and G3 PSUs are always a good recommendation, as they carry a seven year warranty to the 650W SKU and 10 years with the 750W+. No one really knows what's going to happen to Corsair now that they've been bought out by a VC firm, but the RMx series are all solid recommendations, and even the 550W, which is pretty much enough for any single-card PC build (barring some exceptions - lol AMD) carries a 10 year warranty.

Well that's kinda disappointing, but :capitalism: I'll probably go with eVGA since I've had good experiences with their graphics cards and I'm assuming Corsair's customer service is going to be a cost cutting target

Thanks, both of you

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't have any experience with IntelliPower but does it prevent this option from working?:

If not, that seems like the ticket to avoiding annoyance. I don't particularly care about waiting a couple seconds for it to spin up before watching a TV show or whatever, but I can understand the complaint.

Regarding PSUs I would agree that EVGA is solid and I've had great experiences with Seasonic and Corsair as well. Seasonic's 400W fanless unit in particular has been impressive although the price tag demands it.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Wirth1000 posted:

I use it for mass media storage and it still sucks. The IntellPower thing (which I don't even see on Western Digital's site anymore) shuts off the drive when not in use and sometimes there can be a rather long delay when you double-click something like a folder or file and it takes several long seconds for it to turn the drive on, spool it and actually access it.

Yes, I'm that petty but god drat is it annoying when you're pairing it with a SSD and you 're going from instanteous to "welp, give me a second while I get the ol' pull start goin' on this hard drive here gotta adjust the choke'n'all".

My worse experience with this was dragging and dropping a file between two windows. I had a folder that was on the old spinning drive in my quick access list and if that file was ever drug on top of it the whole OS would freeze until that hard drive booted up enough for the OS to see what was on it. Absolutely terrible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eletriarnation posted:

Greens are pretty explicitly intended as bulk storage for media or something else where you don't particularly care about sub-10ms latency or >100MBps speed or poo poo like that. They work fine for that purpose in my experience. Running your OS on them is a recipe for sadness though, as should be obvious.

They also have a lifespan that's pretty garbage even if you're not trying to run an OS on them. Greens are the only WD drives I've ever seen poo poo the bed with bad sectors inside a year of being used, even just as a file-storage drive.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My Red has to spin up a few seconds when I have to fetch something from it in Windows, but that works perfectly fine for my silent setup, as I just use it as a backup drive. But I can understand the frustration if you got it for something more involved.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They also have a lifespan that's pretty garbage even if you're not trying to run an OS on them. Greens are the only WD drives I've ever seen poo poo the bed with bad sectors inside a year of being used, even just as a file-storage drive.

Huh, really? I've had mine for a few years now honestly can't even remember when I bought it with zero lifespan issues and the like. Maybe I lucked out then with mine in terms of reliability.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
After seven long, hard years my old workhorse/gamehorse finally gave out. May he find glory in computer Valhalla. (I think it was the motherboard, even when I was in the BIOS trying to figure out why it wasn't recognizing my SSD it would blackscreen. But since the processor and graphics card are old as heck, they're getting the toss too.)

So, here I am. Back in 2010 I spent around $1,000 building a not-quite-cutting-edge-but-close machine that lasted a long time, with HDD and power supply replacements. Now I'm back in grad school (poor college student, ROUND 2) and looking to rebuild the system on the slightly-cheap.
  • What country are you in?
  • USA
  • What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
  • All of the above.
  • What's your budget?
  • Looking to spend around $500. I'm trying to keep the case, optical drive, mouse, keyboard, power supply, and monitor.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
  • I'm a geosciences grad student researcher, using the adobe suite (mainly PS, InD, IL), R, excel, and word. I sometimes graph 100,000 data points in excel, which the old computer could do but took a bit of time. I try to not run too much at once, if I am running multiple things it's usually: R and Excel, a couple Adobe programs, or one of those + word.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
  • Resolution: I think 1280x720, and I want things to run okay, not ultra-high. (Old comp couldn't run Play Unknown: Battlegrounds, which was my first indication it was time for an upgrade) (By 'okay' I mean I lean slightly more to the "it runs" side of things. I personally usually can't tell any framerate difference over 40 or 50 FPS anyway)

Mainly looking for advice on the things I've looked at, if there's any reason I should go with something else instead of these, etc., and if I can get something comparable for cheaper.

New Pieces I'm Looking At:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.43 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($157.80 @ Amazon)
Total: $447.21

The Whole Build When Finished:
PCPartPicker part list

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Rosewill - Challenger S ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG - GH22NS70 OEM DVD/CD Writer
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Parts I've bought in the past couple years:
  • 16gb of DDR3 RAM see "problems" below this year.
  • The RM1000 power supply is 2 years old
  • The Samsung 840 SSD and Seagate ST3000 are 3 years old.

Notes:
  • The case is actually the old Challenger, not the new Challenger S.
  • Does not include my 7 year old HDD which is still sitting in the case, but I'm pretty sure is trash by this point.
  • Optical Drive is not the one I actually have, apparently that's so old it's no longer on pcpartpicker. That's the closest I could find. But who cares.

PROBLEMS?
  • I currently have 20gb of DDR3 RAM. I bought 16 gb recently (in the past 6 months), not thinking my computer would die. Hindsight, it was probably pretty stupid. I should've just waited until I got a new computer and just limped along with the 6gb I had before.
  • Will this DDR3 work in the new setup? PCpartpicker doesn't even let you choose DDR3 RAM anymore, but I'd really like to not have to spend another $100 on 16 GB of RAM.
  • My keyboard is even older than my current setup, and has one of the old purple circular cords. Do new motherboard I/Os even have that, or is it all USB stuff now? It looks like the one I have selected has one on the top, but I don't want to make that assumption.
  • Will I need an aftermarket cooler on this processor? The fans work in my current tower, but things can sometimes get a little hot in there. The fact that I've neglected to dust my CPU cooler for a while ... hasn't helped.

Thanks for your advice, wise goons.

Also

peak debt posted:

Your DVD drive has probably seen zero wear-and-tear. But let's be honest, it'll likely remain unused in the new system too.
:lol:

Quick edit: Looking through the last page or two of posts now, should've done that before but was focused on the build. Gonna look up RAM stuff now on the MSI QVL.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 24, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
DDR4 RAM is the new standard, and you really will not see a difference between 16GB and 20GB of RAM for light gaming and general desktop use.

eames
May 9, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I currently have 20gb of DDR3 RAM. I bought 16 gb recently (in the past 6 months), not thinking my computer would die. Hindsight, it was probably pretty stupid. I should've just waited until I got a new computer and just limped along with the 6gb I had before.

Ryzen won't work with DDR but RAM prices are high so you should not have trouble selling your DDR3 without a big loss.

How did you manage upgrade from 6GB to 20GB anyway? You ideally want an even number of sticks for best performance in dual channel mode. You probably have 8+8+4 or (far worse) 16+4?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

eames posted:

Ryzen won't work with DDR but RAM prices are high so you should not have trouble selling your DDR3 without a big loss.

How did you manage upgrade from 6GB to 20GB anyway? You ideally want an even number of sticks for best performance in dual channel mode. You probably have 8+8+4 or (far worse) 16+4?

I was even dumber in 2010 than i am now, so i bought three sticks of 2gb. So i recently bought 2x8, and stuck two of the 2gb sticks in behind the 8s.
So, 8+2, 8+2. (Is that the 16+4 you're talking about? Looking at the sticks from left to right it's 8, 2, 8, 2.
Keep in mind i am pretty clueless usually.)

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 24, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

I was even dumber in 2010 than i am now, so i bought three sticks of 2gb. So i recently bought 2x8, and stuck two of the 2gb sticks in behind the 8s.
So, 8+2, 8+2.

Oh that's fine then from a performance perspective. I'd sell the sticks and move on to DDR4. :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wirth1000 posted:

Huh, really? I've had mine for a few years now honestly can't even remember when I bought it with zero lifespan issues and the like. Maybe I lucked out then with mine in terms of reliability.

Mine somehow lasted for almost 7 years until I realized how old it was. I replaced it with a Blue to prevent losing the majority of everything digital in my life.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

[*]Will I need an aftermarket cooler on this processor? The fans work in my current tower, but things can sometimes get a little hot in there. The fact that I've neglected to dust my CPU cooler for a while ... hasn't helped.

The 1600 comes with a cooler that is more than adequate. Under a full prime95 load with a 3.8ghz oc and stock fan curve my cpu peaks around 78*c.

EPCOT
Oct 24, 2010

Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow
I'm looking to replace an 8-year-old Dell XPS-9000 that got me through college and my early career. I've had to upgrade the video card once, as well as buy additional storage. Other than that, I've never built my own PC. Ideally I'd like another PC that would last me the same amount of time before I need to seriously consider upgrading again, so I'd like to go a bit bigger than necessary. I know this build is probably overkill

What country are you in?
USA

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
A little bit of everything, I suppose. Mostly gaming and Photoshop, but I'd like it to handle VR with ease, especially in the future.

What's your budget?
I'd like to stay below $1800, but I can swing it a bit if need be.

Resolution:
I'm not at 4k resolution yet, but will probably be in the year or so.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($155.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($152.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.35 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card ($724.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa C21 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1733.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-24 14:30 EDT-0400

TimeWaster
Nov 1, 2011

Just did the same build coming from a 9 year old build.

Just make sure to update the BIOS to the latest version and then follow an ASUS overclocking video for CPU and RAM if you're not sure what to do.

I used this one: https://youtu.be/pBmVf0S4UDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

EPCOT posted:

I'm looking to replace an 8-year-old Dell XPS-9000 that got me through college and my early career. I've had to upgrade the video card once, as well as buy additional storage. Other than that, I've never built my own PC. Ideally I'd like another PC that would last me the same amount of time before I need to seriously consider upgrading again, so I'd like to go a bit bigger than necessary. I know this build is probably overkill

What country are you in?
USA

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
A little bit of everything, I suppose. Mostly gaming and Photoshop, but I'd like it to handle VR with ease, especially in the future.

What's your budget?
I'd like to stay below $1800, but I can swing it a bit if need be.

Resolution:
I'm not at 4k resolution yet, but will probably be in the year or so.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($155.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($152.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.35 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card ($724.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa C21 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1733.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-24 14:30 EDT-0400

That's a lot of money to spend on a video card and only have a 250GB SSD