Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Seriously. We all know exactly why that statistic is full of poo poo. Why are you still clinging to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure I agree with framing that as a "turnout problem" in a world of aggressive voter suppression.

Regardless of how you want to frame it (and I am not disputing the voter suppression), the point is it was clearly not something caused by Bernie voters staying home.

In particular:

Fulchrum posted:

You gonna pretend that voter suppression is targeted at white males?

Let's pretend that you didn't start this whole conversation by talking about Bernie voters staying home.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fulchrum posted:

It's one of the small comforts of the last election that, because of how far Hillary bent over bacwards to accommodate you petulant shits, you end up saying that the most leftist platform in history is nothing, because you keep forgetting the facts of the election and need it to be that mean old Hillary really was a centrist, because otherwise your narrative is fill of poo poo.

The terrible tragedy: Hillar bent over backwards to accommodate undeserving little shits like women and poc and poor people instead of the true oppressed groups in America: venture capitalists, investment bankers, used car dealers...

Why does anybody respond to Fulchrum in good faith anymore? He's not even entertaining like Effetronica, he's just revolting.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I love that gaslighting is the go-to dem strategy now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The most leftist platform ever run (lol) brought to you by the person that fought for fracking around the globe, suppressing minimum wage in the third world and intervention in Libya. Why didn't the public believe her? Must have been the russian fake news that doctored the transcripts of HRC's meetings with wall street.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I like how leftists converged with Donald Trump on sucking coals dick long and hard just cause it gave an opportunity to attack Hillary. All three of those are disingenuous as gently caress, but singing in time with Trump is just the best sign for how crave you shits are.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
How crave are we? How many craves?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jizz Festival posted:

How crave are we? How many craves?

I had crave for pizza, but I am now satisfied.

(lmao)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There are only two kinds of people, Fulchrum, and coal miners.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

leftists are trash, i hate hem

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

I know you know this is disingenuous since that doesn't track people who didn't vote, and you know I know it, so why even bring this b.s. up?

Is your point here that the number of "Bernie supporters who either voted for Trump or didn't vote at all" is greater than the number of "Hillary 2008 supporters who either voted for McCain or didn't vote at all"? Or I guess more accurately "Bernie supporters who didn't vote for Hillary in the general" vs. "Hillary 2008 supporters who didn't vote for Obama in the general"?

This isn't sarcastic, I'm wondering if you actually have this statistic or if you're just proposing a possible alternative statistic that might support your point. The former would at least support a claim that Bernie supporters were, overall, less "loyal" to the Democratic Party (and thus debunk the whole "actually Hillary 2008 voters were even less reliable" point), though whether it actually makes sense to attack them for this is another matter entirely.

Regardless, I'm not sure if it makes sense to consider non-voters in the same light as people who actively supported the opposition. At the very least, people who voted for the opposition should be weighted more heavily when discussing how much potential harm they caused in the general election. You also inevitably run into the problem that it doesn't really make sense to think someone who voted in the primary and not the general is somehow worse or more harmful than someone who didn't vote at all in either (which represents a huge portion of potential voters).

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
"I'm the adult in the room", says man on a nine months long temper tantrum.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Calibanibal posted:

leftists are trash, i hate hem

The left are insolent. Mole men and rat people conspiring to smuggle ideas inside small music boxes and cling too lovingly to their flesh. Who of ichorous mind and strong chitin would want to abolish the slave camps? We can't grow the dominion of Hollow Earth without our Reptoid leaders creating new problems.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
A big boost for Obama is that the alternatives were Hillary Clinton and John McCain the first time around, then Mitt Romney. Obama was poo poo, but it's not like he cheated anyone out of a good president when he took the post.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
As I'm sure we all know slate is bad dem central and their insipid article about the absolute boy has some gold in the comments.

quote:

The anxieties of voters? Are there bread lines on either side of the North Atlantic? We mistake inconvenience for injustice and boredom for deprivation. We're taking things for granted that were real worries of every human who lived prior to this most recent past century. People who want "change" without knowing what changes they even want, witness the Bernie to Trump supporters. Its less an ideology and more a "change the channel, what else is on" political philosophy. THOSE are the barbarians, not the hucksters and false prophets who ride on their backs to positions of power. The enemy within is stupid complacency, not any inherent flaw in Western democratic liberalism.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look, all I'm asking is why those loving poors can't just suffer silently somewhere out of sight so I can enjoy this most perfect of worlds?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

I know you know this is disingenuous since that doesn't track people who didn't vote, and you know I know it, so why even bring this b.s. up?

fulchrum is a genuinely fascinating character to me, because his desperation and fear come off him in waves.

he very badly wants to be JeffersonClay, placidly reinterpreting all events such that neoliberal orthodoxy cannot fail, only be failed. but he's not ~quite~ intellectually incurious enough. he can see the flaws in his worldview, and he can see the strengths in others, and so when someone else points out those flaws he is reduced to angrily spluttering about fake news to try to make the Bad Thoughts go away.

it will be interesting to see what happens when he falls.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

As I'm sure we all know slate is bad dem central and their insipid article about the absolute boy has some gold in the comments.

are they really using "wants nuclear disarmament" as a smear? :lol:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
let's all practice saying good things about Clinton for her inevitable 2020 presidential campaign where she questionably overtakes other popular candidates and continues to leave the Democratic party in shambles when she wonders why she's not already 50 points ahead (after insulting like a quarter of the citizens of the US in the same breath)

I'll start

she makes a good looking Bond villain

Cerebral Bore posted:

Look, all I'm asking is why those loving poors can't just suffer silently somewhere out of sight so I can enjoy this most perfect of worlds?

oh please we're not even enough of a consideration for the enlightened bourgies to be allowed the privilege of being the focus of a sentence

Futuresight posted:

A big boost for Obama

a big boost for Obama is the recurring attempt to wash away all his misdeeds so the general public views him as having been a "scandal free president"

Obama can do no wrong, please take note of this in future posts tia

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Isn't this why the rich have gated communities?

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

a cat on an apple posted:

let's all practice saying good things about Clinton for her inevitable 2020 presidential campaign where she questionably overtakes other popular candidates and continues to leave the Democratic party in shambles when she wonders why she's not already 50 points ahead (after insulting like a quarter of the citizens of the US in the same breath)

She creates jobs for an entire class of pundits, commentators, and consultants that would otherwise be unemployable.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Clinton's not running in 2020.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

clinton isnt planning to run in 2020 because leftist wont let her. which is we cant let up an inch even though she's playing dead

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

What's great is this is like a timeless classic of apologists, you can pull up stuff predating the French revolution that makes the exact same arguments.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In the beginning I thought that Glenn Greenwald was going overboard on his Russia investigation stance. And then most centrist publications and a bunch of Blairites and Clintonites decided to attack Corbyn for not being hawkish enough on Russia and he is absolutely right: regardless of what happens with Trump, the whole Russia thing is going to be used as a cudgel to attack anyone who isn't sufficiently hawkish on foreign policy.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 24, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What's double great is that slate is super mad about Corbs congratulating Maduro once four years ago while the Tories have literally greenlighted british companies selling arms and crowd control equipment to Venezuela for nearly a decade.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/900777155574980608

Not strictly relevant to the spirit of this thread, but gently caress it.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Office Pig posted:

For those who don't click the link: Democrats are currently projected to win 54% of the popular vote for House seats but would win only 47% of the seats.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Guess they'd better stop sucking then. Gerrymandering sucks, but even at the county level here all actual Dem personnel are pushing initiatives.

Thats cool but you dont have to carry about gerrymandering if your candidates and other policies aren't poo poo.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

PenguinKnight posted:

are they really using "wants nuclear disarmament" as a smear? :lol:

The UK's nuclear arsenal is the only thing that makes them relevant in the world.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"This would be in keeping with his decadeslong support, dating back to the Cold War, for unilateral disarmament."

lmao

Supremely hosed up to say nukes bad during the Cold War.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BadOptics posted:

The UK's nuclear arsenal is the only thing that makes them relevant in the world.

Brits are the only people in the world anybody gives a crap about their stupid deterrent.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Office Pig posted:

I predict an increasing enthusiasm gap will lead 20 seat gain, I also predict that the usual suspects will call that bad.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ze Pollack posted:

fulchrum is a genuinely fascinating character to me, because his desperation and fear come off him in waves.

he very badly wants to be JeffersonClay, placidly reinterpreting all events such that neoliberal orthodoxy cannot fail, only be failed. but he's not ~quite~ intellectually incurious enough. he can see the flaws in his worldview, and he can see the strengths in others, and so when someone else points out those flaws he is reduced to angrily spluttering about fake news to try to make the Bad Thoughts go away.

it will be interesting to see what happens when he falls.

Wait, so correctly calling you on this misleading BS is somehow interpretted in your tiny brain as seeing the strength of your argument. You literally think that pointing out a weakness, is conceding strength.

Seriously, do you people ever even touch reality lightly?

a cat on an apple posted:

let's all practice saying good things about Clinton for her inevitable 2020 presidential campaign where she questionably overtakes other popular candidates

"Questionably" in this instance means fairly, but it meant she beat Bernie, so you will never ever ever stop screaming about it.

Once again, leftists, either Bernie is incredibly poo poo and lost to Hillary fair and square, or Hillary was robbed of the election because of a hundred different factors conspiring against her. Trying to have it both ways just makes it clear how all of this is just continually throwing an ongoing tantrum because, as I pointed out, Bernie staying in the race only served to foster this obsessive and creepy hatred from you towards her.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

or Hillary was robbed of the election because of a hundred different factors conspiring against her.

This is closer to reality, except there was no "conspiracy," the vast majority of those factors were in her control and were mistakes she made, like under campaigning in the Rust Belt.

I'll grant you Comey, that one totally hurt her and was not directly her fault.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

This is closer to reality, except there was no "conspiracy," the vast majority of those factors were in her control and were mistakes she made, like under campaigning in the Rust Belt.

I'll grant you Comey, that one totally hurt her and was not directly her fault.

Russia, the Media, sexism, voter suppression, an ongoing smear campaign that lasted 30 years, the profligation of fake news and an alternate self enforcing reality bubble - I assume you think that somehow, these were in her control?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

Russia, the Media, sexism, voter suppression, an ongoing smear campaign that lasted 30 years, the profligation of fake news and an alternate self enforcing reality bubble - I assume you think that somehow, these were in her control?

Sure, she shouldn't have ran in the first place

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

I think all of those things combined hurt her less than her total failure of a campaign strategy and her lack of charisma.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I agree with you this thread is terrible but why did the party elites decide she was the only game in town in the first place? They should have been a lot more skeptical... the only reason she even had a chance was because her opponent happened to be Trump. She'd have lost to Rubio and probably Jeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

yronic heroism posted:

I agree with you this thread is terrible but why did the party elites decide she was the only game in town in the first place? They should have been a lot more skeptical... the only reason she even had a chance was because her opponent happened to be Trump. She'd have lost to Rubio and probably Jeb.

Well, it might have something to do with her getting more votes in the primary.

• Locked thread