Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

this is actually a kinda clever way of doing a whirlwind/hunter.

use your rhinos as everything for cheap.

Frugal Dorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Marines pop out of the top hatches like the whack a mole game I hope

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone who does is bad and dumb and should not be played with.

That's what I figured. Part of the idea is that I can double dip on models and transports and not have to have multiple sets, but mostly its that I hate the current Berzerker and CSM models and don't want to paint super blinged out Raptors/Chosen when I have tons of Assault Marines and Veterans already.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

If you're straight up using loyalist models and saying 'oh yeah they are CSM though' I would play you but quietly resent you.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
This makes me want to partake in the ultimate con, iron hands as counts as iron warriors

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Anyone tried using the Snow technical paint? I've liked their other ones and just wondering if it actually has a snowy effect to it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Have they released 8th edition data about chaos 'imperial' knights (you know, the one with daemonic marks)? I can only find renegades.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corrode posted:

If you're straight up using loyalist models and saying 'oh yeah they are CSM though' I would play you but quietly resent you.

Yeah, I'd do the same. I plan to do some converting and customizing - mainly I wanted to make sure that when I put down Plague Marines and Space Wolf Khorne dudes and normal marines with missile launchers and say they are Havocs, that isn't a bridge too far for most people. I also just really don't like the Raptors/Warp Talons models.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

What's the deal with models with the Fly keyword and assaults? I keep seeing people say you can't assault flyers without it but the units I've read don't have any info like that and I didn't see it in the core rules.

For instance, a Heldrake has Fly and has a move stat of 30". Is there anything from preventing these first turn assaults at a threat range of 32-42"?

There's a difference between Flyers (which have the FLY keyword and tend to have, on a per-unit basis, the restriction against assaulting them or being assaulted) and units with the FLY keyword. All Flyers have the FLY keyword, not all units with the FLY keyword are flyers. Note also that Heldrakes aren't flyers now--they're Fast Attack choices with the FLY keyword, i.e. basically land speeders.

A Heldrake can charge on T1, though speaking as a chaos player I can tell you that heldrakes are not good assault units, particularly by themselves and particularly if you are assaulting something that doesn't have FLY.

Corrode posted:

Same. Also if I didn't know you, my *incoming bullshit* alarm would be going off

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Anyone tried using the Snow technical paint? I've liked their other ones and just wondering if it actually has a snowy effect to it.

I literally just used it for the first time last night. I think it's good, much better than the old PVA/white paint/snow fluf mix I used to use.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, I'd do the same. I plan to do some converting and customizing - mainly I wanted to make sure that when I put down Plague Marines and Space Wolf Khorne dudes and normal marines with missile launchers and say they are Havocs, that isn't a bridge too far for most people. I also just really don't like the Raptors/Warp Talons models.

Cool custom stuff using loyalists as a base sounds good to me.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
That's what I'm doing with my plague marines. I had a bunch of stuff to make a Space Wolves army and moved towards phlembois instead. So if you decide to fully switch over to chaos, snap off a few bits and slap on some CSM parts from ebay and a touch of greenstuff as you go, like so:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

this is actually a kinda clever way of doing a whirlwind/hunter.

use your rhinos as everything for cheap.

This is loving awesome and I want one. More VLS cells in 40k. :black101:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Artum posted:

Never.

E: gah new page, peep this librarian.

I like the glowy hand. Do you have a recipe for it?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Geoff Zahn posted:

That's what I'm doing with my plague marines. I had a bunch of stuff to make a Space Wolves army and moved towards phlembois instead. So if you decide to fully switch over to chaos, snap off a few bits and slap on some CSM parts from ebay and a touch of greenstuff as you go, like so:

That looks awesome. No resentment when playing against awesome conversions.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Corrode posted:

What if it's Alpha Legion?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Ayn Marx posted:

I like the glowy hand. Do you have a recipe for it?

literally just teclis blue -> lothern blue -> white scar in 3 layers, nothing fancy.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I have used custodes. Only Spears so far, but they are dead killy and very resilient unless dedicated multi wound killing is brought to bear, and plasmas don't quite do it.

I play guard so they were more for counter charging than shoving into the enemy, but with an army that comes in with them they likely would be able to get in and wreck face.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

A Heldrake can charge on T1, though speaking as a chaos player I can tell you that heldrakes are not good assault units, particularly by themselves and particularly if you are assaulting something that doesn't have FLY.

This is true, I'm not looking for them to kill much, but it seems like a handy option to immediately shutdown long-range firepower if you're going first. Being able to baleflamer going in and then hop out of combat and flame again seems decent for a relatively cheap and tough unit.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Thanqol posted:

As the brilliant poet said elsewhere on these forums;

Do not be fooled by the stripes upon my mans
though they may look like Iron Warriors
they count as Iron Hands

:golfclap:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Stephenls posted:

Heretics one and all

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Stephenls posted:

Then you would have loyalist models playing as loyalist models.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd be 100% ok with Dark Angels, Fallen, and Relictors being played straight or cross-faction.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

This is true, I'm not looking for them to kill much, but it seems like a handy option to immediately shutdown long-range firepower if you're going first. Being able to baleflamer going in and then hop out of combat and flame again seems decent for a relatively cheap and tough unit.

Yeah, probably not a bad way to tie up a unit for a turn, though I suspect they'll pop out before you get a chance to.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Thanqol posted:

As the brilliant poet said elsewhere on these forums;

Do not be fooled by the stripes upon my mans
though they may look like Iron Warriors
they count as Iron Hands

This was the best competition, whatever happened to the typhon?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, probably not a bad way to tie up a unit for a turn, though I suspect they'll pop out before you get a chance to.

If they want to leave that's fine. Anything shutting down devastators or whatever for a turn or more is a decent trade considering those heavy weapons would probably kill more than the value of the Heldrake.

I haven't put it into practice but in my next game I might

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

If they want to leave that's fine. Anything shutting down devastators or whatever for a turn or more is a decent trade considering those heavy weapons would probably kill more than the value of the Heldrake.

I haven't put it into practice but in my next game I might

Let me know how it goes. I like the Heldrake as a harassment unit now but it's definitely not the must-have workhorse of the army it used to be (hello, Berserkers). I find that they tend to be pretty resilient despite not having the supersonic ability, but neither the baleflamer nor their close combat capabilities are strong enough to take down most units in a single turn.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I like the winter, so I've been basing my guys with the Valhallan Snow paint. It comes out of the pot as almost a wet, crumbly sand texture. You almost need a small trowel to spread it rather than a brush. You can spread it really thinly for slushy weather or put it on pretty thick to get drifts. Here's some pics:

Black Templar Neophytes

Blood Raven assault marine

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Naramyth posted:

Also power level does not deal with summoning at all.

Uh yes it does. Pretty simply too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also did not see the Regimental Standard linked so I am putting it out.

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/08/23/regimental-standard-konor-war-diaries-part-5-drenthal/

"You’d be amazed at what an incentive to staying put it is to be surrounded on all sides by deep, unforgiving – and definitely not haunted or enemy-infested – ocean. It’s as if the planet itself is a Commissar, sternly but affectionately wagging a bolt pistol in one’s direction at all times."

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/08/23/regimental-standard-konor-war-diaries-part-5-drenthal/

"You’d be amazed at what an incentive to staying put it is to be surrounded on all sides by deep, unforgiving – and definitely not haunted or enemy-infested – ocean. It’s as if the planet itself is a Commissar, sternly but affectionately wagging a bolt pistol in one’s direction at all times."

"The forces of the Archenemy are closing in, but I have absolute faith that we will be liberated. I’ve been informed over the vox that the 55th Alphic Hydras are en route to liberate us. So everything should be fine. As soon as they arrive."

I don't know if it'd be funnier if those were the most obvious alpha legion or if they were the most tragically named loyalists

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MonsterEnvy posted:

This was a good one.

How does this AdMech scheme look? Appreciate it's on my phone and with terrible lighting:

I was going for a Buddhist monk vibe with the orange robe and yellow trousers, but I can't help but feel that the trousers being black would work better. Also Valhallan Blizzard in action as it was being discussed upthread - think it needs breaking up a little so future bases will have some rocks or tech-gubbins on them.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corrode posted:

This was a good one.

How does this AdMech scheme look? Appreciate it's on my phone and with terrible lighting:

I was going for a Buddhist monk vibe with the orange robe and yellow trousers, but I can't help but feel that the trousers being black would work better. Also Valhallan Blizzard in action as it was being discussed upthread - think it needs breaking up a little so future bases will have some rocks or tech-gubbins on them.

Nah, I think black pants would get lost with the black-shaded metal. Yellow works, especially since the visible pants are so small they need to be bright to really show up at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chutche2 posted:

"The forces of the Archenemy are closing in, but I have absolute faith that we will be liberated. I’ve been informed over the vox that the 55th Alphic Hydras are en route to liberate us. So everything should be fine. As soon as they arrive."

I don't know if it'd be funnier if those were the most obvious alpha legion or if they were the most tragically named loyalists

The Alphic Hydras were in the first Scions book and their fluff talks about how they appeared from nowhere and are masters of infiltration and sabotage, and have quickly become among the Ultramarines' most treasured non-Astartes allies. :v:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I like the winter, so I've been basing my guys with the Valhallan Snow paint. It comes out of the pot as almost a wet, crumbly sand texture. You almost need a small trowel to spread it rather than a brush. You can spread it really thinly for slushy weather or put it on pretty thick to get drifts. Here's some pics:

Black Templar Neophytes

Blood Raven assault marine

Thin your paints my dude

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Can a DE Succubus no longer take an Agonizer with a Splinter Pistol?

I was listing up some of my old 3e figures, and that loadout was standard on the old sculpt. Seems like a weird omission. Although I can still use her as a hekatrix, I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

These guys are so the Alpha Legion it hurts.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Aren't they a little tall for a stormtrooper?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

This was a good one.

I think it looks good. A single, solid white or bone stripe might help them pop a bit more. You could change it up on each dude so they're unique.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The "Everyone is Alpha Legion" thing is simultaneously the best and most overused meme in 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uh yes it does. Pretty simply too.
No, it doesn't. Power level is used for the summoning roll, but you aren't setting aside Power points for summoned units. They're just free.