Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I tried running a PbP in reddit once, under the impression that the BIG RED ENVELOPE TELLING YOU THAT YOU HAVE A NEW MESSAGE would help with people flaking out, and while it worked for about two months, it still died after half the players stopped responding.

I don't think it's really a tools-based problem so much as a player enthusiasm problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Player enthusiasm can be hard to keep up when you don't have a specific time to game, that's true. I just try to engage with my groups via Discord or PMs during the week so they know the game is still an ongoing thing and I'm expecting posts.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
A challenge you'll always face with RPGs done via discord or pbp is that any given scene will require back and forth between all of the participants until the scene resolves. Even in a system where a lot of work (die rolling, actions, etc.) is declared by a player, the GM usually has to respond and interpret the results in some way. The players that have to wait on the scene to resolve before they can act won't be as engaged. If there's a significant delay in response from any participants, that ruins the momentum of the scene. There aren't a lot of games that include active participation from the audience, are GMless or otherwise resolved by players without third party intervention, and facilitate fast scenes that can be played out before the tension is lost. Fiasco, maybe? Or Law's Out?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the ideal pbp system would have to be GMless in some way, like entirely module driven like an old school D&D tournament. So you'd enter a room and use a player controlled resolution mechanic to deal with the threats in the room, then make a choice as to which room you tackle next and repeat until you reach the end of the adventure. Of course there's nothing stopping you from making your own adventures too, but you'd want some first party ones to get a good feel for the design and the mechanics.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I've also given the subject a lot of thought, but as said before, if nobody's paying me for this poo poo, I'm not really invested in spending my time on it. Frankly I've got enough vanity projects as it is.

Although enough people have been pretty hype about DBP that I don't know if it even counts as a vanity project anymore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

1) that system does exist, it's just called freeform roleplaying and thousands and thousands of people do it every day.

This reminds me that I should try running HeroQuest 2e sometime.

Nuns with Guns posted:

A challenge you'll always face with RPGs done via discord or pbp is that any given scene will require back and forth between all of the participants until the scene resolves. Even in a system where a lot of work (die rolling, actions, etc.) is declared by a player, the GM usually has to respond and interpret the results in some way. The players that have to wait on the scene to resolve before they can act won't be as engaged. If there's a significant delay in response from any participants, that ruins the momentum of the scene.

One-on-one games seem to work well in this regard, but then of course you lose the party dynamic.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the ideal pbp system would have to be GMless in some way, like entirely module driven like an old school D&D tournament. So you'd enter a room and use a player controlled resolution mechanic to deal with the threats in the room, then make a choice as to which room you tackle next and repeat until you reach the end of the adventure. Of course there's nothing stopping you from making your own adventures too, but you'd want some first party ones to get a good feel for the design and the mechanics.

There was a website a long time ago called Conclave which was 100% a hex-based rip-off of D&D 4e and supported asynchronous turn-taking across multiple players, with the website acting as the GM.

Of course, this essentially limited the gameplay to CYOA non-combat scenes, and set-piece battles the rest of the time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was a website a long time ago called Conclave which was 100% a hex-based rip-off of D&D 4e and supported asynchronous turn-taking across multiple players, with the website acting as the GM.

Of course, this essentially limited the gameplay to CYOA non-combat scenes, and set-piece battles the rest of the time.

I wish Conclave were D&D 4E. The combat wasn't anywhere near that interesting.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Kids have to learn early that life is nasty, brutish, and short

That's why you get them a pet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/ChargenBot/status/900664293657542656

https://twitter.com/randomdnd/status/900648053895557123

https://twitter.com/youfoundloot/status/900482239716261888

https://twitter.com/DnDSkillCheck/status/900558805020397568

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Storium was basically designed as an asynchronous rpg system. It didn't really do it for me when I tried it in beta but it is worth checking out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I tried running a PbP in reddit once, under the impression that the BIG RED ENVELOPE TELLING YOU THAT YOU HAVE A NEW MESSAGE would help with people flaking out, and while it worked for about two months, it still died after half the players stopped responding.

I don't think it's really a tools-based problem so much as a player enthusiasm problem.

Yeah THAT is THE big loving hurdle (Player/GM enthusiasm) that PBP players have to deal sooner or later. No system can fix that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Yeah THAT is THE big loving hurdle (Player/GM enthusiasm) that PBP players have to deal sooner or later. No system can fix that.

Yeah. I ran a PbP Dungeon World game here a couple years back that I really enjoyed, but I just had a hard time keeping up the enthusiasm, and I think at least a couple of the players did, too. The thread's still around and I went back and looked at it a couple times. I'm pretty proud of the setting and overall concept, if nothing else.

I'd love to run another, but I worry I'll just burn out on it again.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/onenewquest/status/900452016098611200

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

And just think - you haven't even touched the Nasuverse yet!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

And just think - you haven't even touched the Nasuverse yet!

He's from Fate/

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Plutonis posted:

He's from Fate/

Uh, I mean barely touched the Nasuverse :downs:

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
http://moehistory.tumblr.com/

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
How many years until the Nasuverse introduces cute girl Obama and moe Hillary?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Pelgrane's got a Bundle of Holding which is the entire run of The Esoterrorists for $20.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress is a 'Nasuverse' and why should people who don't like anime titties give a poo poo?

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
So Silent Legions is on sale at DTRPG. I know folks here think highly of Kevin Crawford, but as someone with less than zero interest in paying money for a dude's D&D houserules is the system agnostic stuff worth it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Saguaro PI posted:

So Silent Legions is on sale at DTRPG. I know folks here think highly of Kevin Crawford, but as someone with less than zero interest in paying money for a dude's D&D houserules is the system agnostic stuff worth it?

The system agnostic stuff is the reason to get Silent Legions.

Like, Crawford put in a functional set of D&D-based game-rules so you can play it with just the book if you really wanted to, but the heavy implication is that you're going to use the back-half of the book to create your own mythos against players who've read Lovecraft one too many times, but you're still doing all this in Call of Cthulhu or whatever.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I started whipping up a sample setting with the generators to see what they were like, and with about 15 minutes' work I had a six-aspected god, a lesser copy of the six-aspected god, two dancers in silence and a mortal sorcerer who'd bootstrapped themselves to divinity.

Also, the lamest alien race ever: exiles from their home world, they're terrified of humans and have completely failed to dominate or eradicate us several times.

And there's another 100 pages of this stuff.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

potatocubed posted:

I started whipping up a sample setting with the generators to see what they were like, and with about 15 minutes' work I had a six-aspected god, a lesser copy of the six-aspected god, two dancers in silence and a mortal sorcerer who'd bootstrapped themselves to divinity.

Also, the lamest alien race ever: exiles from their home world, they're terrified of humans and have completely failed to dominate or eradicate us several times.

And there's another 100 pages of this stuff.

The bolded sentence doesn't really mean anything to somebody who doesn't already have the book.

Edit:

gradenko_2000 posted:

The system agnostic stuff is the reason to get Silent Legions.

Like, Crawford put in a functional set of D&D-based game-rules so you can play it with just the book if you really wanted to, but the heavy implication is that you're going to use the back-half of the book to create your own mythos against players who've read Lovecraft one too many times, but you're still doing all this in Call of Cthulhu or whatever.

This was a good rec, though, thank you.

Saguaro PI fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 25, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pope Guilty posted:

Pelgrane's got a Bundle of Holding which is the entire run of The Esoterrorists for $20.
Yup! This was recommended to me several times in this thread, so I grabbed it and now I really, really want to run it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Saguaro PI posted:

The bolded sentence doesn't really mean anything to somebody who doesn't already have the book.

Yeah, I see your point. Was posting in a rush.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, I see your point. Was posting in a rush.

That's cool, if the rest of it was like you second line it would have been fine!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

Yup! This was recommended to me several times in this thread, so I grabbed it and now I really, really want to run it.

The Esoterrorists always struck me as the pulpy HRT/SWAT-team equivalent to Delta Green's nihilist X-Files vibe.

And I do want to run it, too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

What the gently caress is a 'Nasuverse' and why should people who don't like anime titties give a poo poo?

So there's like these twenty-seven super 'vampires' who can range from a living labyrinth to a giant robot spider alien from mercury to a man who's made up of a trillion animals in a chaotic primordial soup but they just want to chill out despite the church wanting to exterminate them and there's this association of rear end in a top hat wizards who want to reach the akashic records and hold a deathmatch between mages that summon historical and pseudohistorical figures as familiaras once in a while to get their wish granted by a mystical thingamajig and that deathmatch was plagiarized centuries later by the quantum supercomputer built by aliens in the moon and there's some people who can see the conceptual lines that separate life and death and can sever them to 'kill' anything, including other concepts and what if i tell you that other than a few branching timelines these are all the same setting

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Plutonis posted:

So there's like these twenty-seven super 'vampires' who can range from a living labyrinth to a giant robot spider alien from mercury to a man who's made up of a trillion animals in a chaotic primordial soup but they just want to chill out despite the church wanting to exterminate them and there's this association of rear end in a top hat wizards who want to reach the akashic records and hold a deathmatch between mages that summon historical and pseudohistorical figures as familiaras once in a while to get their wish granted by a mystical thingamajig and that deathmatch was plagiarized centuries later by the quantum supercomputer built by aliens in the moon and there's some people who can see the conceptual lines that separate life and death and can sever them to 'kill' anything, including other concepts and what if i tell you that other than a few branching timelines these are all the same setting

Also here are most of them doing a dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbaM-URygs

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

DigitalRaven posted:

In this context, it refers to a series of visual novels by Kinoko Nasu that has a tendency to feature historical figures that are made decidedly more anime, of which the Fate series of VNs is the main star. It also encompasses anime, novels, manga, a variety of other sorts of video games, etc.

It also, like many VNs, has a lot of misused proper nouns and often vanishes up its own rear end with farcical amounts of self-important lore vomit, which is what folks are referring to above.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It also, like many VNs, has a lot of misused proper nouns and often vanishes up its own rear end with farcical amounts of self-important lore vomit, which is what folks are referring to above.

*in Dracula voice* Perhaps the same could be said of any TRPG with significant metaplot.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Esoterrorists always struck me as the pulpy HRT/SWAT-team equivalent to Delta Green's nihilist X-Files vibe.

And I do want to run it, too.
Yeah, it's darker than I'd planned on going, but it's solid and close enough to the themes I wanted to capture.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, the core loop of "investigate problem, deal with problem, cover up the mess" looks really solid, even if the antagonists lack a certain something,

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Book of Unremitting Horror has some fascinating monsters (the Organ Grinder, the Torture Dogs, the Shattterer) and some other monsters I will never use (the Man at the Bar, the Blossomer, the Snuff Golem). It is an impressively creative book and also not a book for people might be squeamish about abusive content. I would say that's generally worth the price of admission.

The Mystery Man can go eat a dick, though. He sucks.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 25, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hostile V posted:

The Book of Unremitting Horror has some fascinating monsters (the Organ Grinder, the Torture Dogs, the Shattterer) and some other monsters I will never use (the Man at the Bar, the Blossomer, the Snuff Golem). It is an impressively creative book and also not a book for people might be squeamish about abusive content. I would say that's generally worth the price of admission.

The Mystery Man can go eat a dick, though. He sucks.
Yeah, it's a lot more outright regular, disturbing, and/or body horror than the kind of Lovecraftian cosmic horror, mixed with aliens, reptoids, deros/hollow-earth residents, etc. that I was originally going to lean towards.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, it's a lot more outright regular, disturbing, and/or body horror than the kind of Lovecraftian cosmic horror, mixed with aliens, reptoids, deros/hollow-earth residents, etc. that I was originally going to lean towards.
Ha ha yeah I can't blame you, I'd prefer a much lighter take than the Esoterrorists normally takes. If I were you I'd steal some notes from the Unisystem run on Conspiracy X.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just today Rob Schwalb posted a content warning about the next Shadow of the Demon Lord supplement. Apparently it will be about the troglodytes who are pretty hosed up. Basically telling folks to not buy the PDF if they're not down with some pretty horrific poo poo. That's not something I see too often, especially in this genre of games.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Serf posted:

Just today Rob Schwalb posted a content warning about the next Shadow of the Demon Lord supplement. Apparently it will be about the troglodytes who are pretty hosed up. Basically telling folks to not buy the PDF if they're not down with some pretty horrific poo poo. That's not something I see too often, especially in this genre of games.

I mean I'd rather they give those warnings than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I mean I'd rather they give those warnings than not.

Oh same here, absolutely.

• Locked thread