Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Why would anyone bury all that free leather and chemfuel? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Thanks for coming, if you would just step into our welcoming chamber for the customary greetings ceremony, thanks. What's that? Oh it's not for us, we'll be right outside. Won't take a moment.

Sweet mother of god.

Thank you for this, I know what direction I'm going in my next run.

Puppy farm will be amateur poo poo

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Danaru posted:

Why would anyone bury all that free leather and chemfuel? :ohdear:

Chemfuel? What are you talking about, that there's some good eating and huge mood bonuses. Even a mood bonus from the leather hats too! Really, other people are the best thing for your pawn's moods.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any mods that will allow me to build a dirt or packed dirt tile on moving water tiles?

I want to construct an embrasure'd embankment (or maybe a pathing preferred highway filled with traps!) in the middle of a river to keep all these man-hunting SWARMS of Redra From entering this mountain river system, which cuts right through the middle of my base.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo is there no way at all to get power across a river other than to fill batteries, and then reinstall them on the other side? Am I forever doomed to battery micro?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

why not setup power facilities on the other side?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I've seen a bridge mod that allows building of simple items on it (like torches and power lines).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Omniblivion posted:

Sweet mother of god.

Thank you for this, I know what direction I'm going in my next run.

Puppy farm will be amateur poo poo

Oh no, it's a new Deja! :ohdear:

HelloSailorSign posted:

I've seen a bridge mod that allows building of simple items on it (like torches and power lines).

I believe it's Basic Bridges that does this.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh no, it's a new Deja! :ohdear:

I believe it's Basic Bridges that does this.

That is an excellent name.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there a mod that either removes or lessens the area near the map edge you can't build on? I keep bumping into it with my underground vaults

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crimson Harvest posted:

Seconded

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Manbearpig is real. I have no idea how good this is since I think it might go bonkers with the animal collab project, but who knows. I'm sure you enterprising madgoons would love to splice together a Muffaboom.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Warmachine posted:

Manbearpig is real. I have no idea how good this is since I think it might go bonkers with the animal collab project, but who knows. I'm sure you enterprising madgoons would love to splice together a Muffaboom.

you do know that this will be used to justify furries in rimworld right? :v:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Thefluffy posted:

They're gonna combine colonists with that cleaning cat mod.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thefluffy posted:

Already been done mate. Haven't you read the lore about how all intelligent "alien" life is really just bizarre human offshoots? Runaway glittertech is some bad poo poo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

It's been a rough week for Setsuko :whitewater:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Well for heck's sake get them a snack of human flesh :unsmigghh:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That seems like someone in dire need of some astral knowledge.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The dream of being able to send your colonists into space and crash them on a new sadistic hellhole is now a reality. Behold, "gently caress, not again." This one is fresh.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Is there any way to rename colonists within game? I've got Sam, Sammy, Samantha and it's irritating trying to keep track. Haven't really seen a mod that can do it, and having to save file edit it seems clunky.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Is there any way to rename colonists within game? I've got Sam, Sammy, Samantha and it's irritating trying to keep track. Haven't really seen a mod that can do it, and having to save file edit it seems clunky.

You can change their nicknames. From the colonist detail thinger, there's a text-box-with-I-cursor icon at the top right; click it and you'll get the nickname prompt.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You can also just edit the save file, it's XML so any decent plain text editor will do the trick.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
how do i clear people from a job? i have a tailoring station where my main researcher has reserved all the shirts for herself, but i'm not exactly going to leave her off research duty to do a job my tailor can do much better. how do i clear the job list? thanks

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

botany posted:

how do i clear people from a job? i have a tailoring station where my main researcher has reserved all the shirts for herself, but i'm not exactly going to leave her off research duty to do a job my tailor can do much better. how do i clear the job list? thanks

Cancel the jobs (select the actual pile of unfinished clothes), and then set her work preference to not allow tailoring

Heffer
May 1, 2003

botany posted:

You can find the unfinished item and select cancel, it will remove the reservation and give most of the materials back

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Heffer posted:

You can find the unfinished item and select cancel, it will remove the reservation and give most of the materials back
she hasn't started actually tailoring anything, she just reserved the worktime i guess :v:

Volmarias posted:

Cancel the jobs (select the actual pile of unfinished clothes), and then set her work preference to not allow tailoring

that works! still a little more clumsy than i would like, but o well

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

botany posted:

she hasn't started actually tailoring anything, she just reserved the worktime i guess :v:

that works! still a little more clumsy than i would like, but o well

If she hasn't picked anything up, recruit her immediately, which will break the job order. Pick whoever you want to do it so that they reserve the job. Once they start work, it's "theirs"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Volmarias posted:

If she hasn't picked anything up, recruit her immediately, which will break the job order. Pick whoever you want to do it so that they reserve the job. Once they start work, it's "theirs"

i thought of that as well, tried it, didn't work. the job stayed reserved

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

botany posted:

She has started. Pawns can't reserve the worktime without starting the job. Check your stockpile for the incomplete tailoring object, another pawn probably dragged it there once she went off to do her higher priority tasks. Set a skill floor on your bills in the future so low-skill idiots don't pick up jobs they aren't meant for.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Everyone should have the mod Prepare Carefully. It's freaking amazing and makes the start way less lovely. You can just design the team that you would have gambled for an hour for anyways. You can do cool things like make all of your starters psychopathic cannibals. You can also make sure you don't start with a lovely rear end pet to begin with and swap that jade knife out for something you'll actually use.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Rookersh posted:

I've said this a bunch already, but really this should be in the OP.

Please don't play Cassandra people.

Here's how the storytellers work.

There are 10ish "bins" full of events to pull from. Each bin has harder and harder events/different stuff going on in them. So like bin 1 might have stuff like "Single Raider attack!", while bin 7 will be like poison ships/toxic fallout and whatnot.

Outside of those toy bins, you also have the Raid button, which is tied to the tiered bins.

Cassandra and Phoebe work the exact same way. Every month they will send you a raid, no matter what position you are in, because they don't actually look at your colony, they are hardcoded to send you a raid. After every raid they jump up a bin tier, which also increases the size of the next raid. In between raids, they will pull out an event from their bins, and use it against you. The only difference between Cassandra and Phoebe is the timing of the events, Cassandra pulls out two events a month outside of raids, Phoebe only pulls out one, which means you get more time in between Phoebe's events.

This isn't a great system, and it's outright designed for you to eventually lose. Due to how this plays out, it means you will eventually hit a point where Cassandra and Phoebe are sending massive 20+ people raids at you constantly, and in between are dropping Poison Ships/Mech invasions left and right, because it's the only tools they have at their disposal. If you can survive all that, you get to the last two bins, which are literally just "50+ person raids.". This is what people talk about when they say the game requires killboxes.

Randy doesn't do any of that, and is the best storyteller because of it. Randy is not hardcoded to send raids, which means he'll only send a raid if he feels like it'd be fun. He actually is coded to check your base and see what'd be the most interesting way to mess with it is, which gives you a lot of more personal events to deal with. He can pull from any bin at any time, which means even in the endgame you'll still be getting small scale raids, or manhunter packs, etc etc. What he does to keep this interesting is if he's pulling from bin 3 during the lategame, he'll allow himself to also pull from other low bins to give you multiple events at once, which makes the combined events more dangerous then they would have been.

Randy is significantly more enjoyable/Dwarf Fortressy/playable then Cassandra and Phoebe in their current state. Unless you really enjoy the idea of nonstop raids/forced killboxes as part of your DFlike I guess. He is not the "hard" option at all, he's the random events option.

Of course this could mean you start the game and get a 5-6 person raid with sniper rifles involved as your 1st/2nd raid, because he pulled from a higher level bin, but that's part of the fun!

I just want to thank this person for this. I would never have picked it just from the in game description. I also hated playing Rimworld ages ago because of the killbox thing. This time around it is a blast. Especially when much harder than necessary curve-balls are thrown in.

I am still not convinced it actually checks anything about your base, though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This game just seems to know when I'm doing decent and exactly what it's gonna take it rip my poo poo apart.

I've considered installing the mod that makes it not auto rain when fire has become a serious issue. Hmm.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Count me in with the Randy converts.

My latest "oh god how can I survive this" was a toxic fallout followed next day by volcanic winter, starting in early summer. It led to a cold snap in fall, a bout of sleeping sickness for half the colony, and a mechanoid raid. Just after the fallout and winter ended (in late winter, I've a long, but not full year, growing season in the jungle), I had two pirate raids one day after the other... and an infestation a day after those.

The mechanoids were helpfully turned into advanced hydroponic bays (running vegetable garden mod) and raider corpses became fertilizer. The bugs became kibble for my huskies and labs.

....and at the end of all those raids, I notice one of my early colonists (4 years strong, 22 years old) now has 4 traits... with the one I don't remember him coming with being desensitized.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Randy can be a tremendous fucker and I love him for it. Take a look at these;

A couple of days into a radiation wave, two Mech ships rain down right next to each other, within about four seconds of each other. We're on the north side of a riverbank that we've made very hard to cross but Randy doesn't give a heck, these were like the fourth and fifth mechanoid ships that have crashed on my side of the river.

Fortunately I was able to survive this but it did cost a few lives, several hands and limbs and suchlike, and a couple cases of radiation poisoning that hit fast, but aside from one minor carcinoma it was survivable.

Between radiation, these ships, and the damage and fires that started clearing them out, basically everything not already harvested there was a write-off. Fortunately as you can see we had a big pile of meals, and even though that got down to around 500 by spring, there was no danger as the map was starting to repopulate with game anyway. Also we have now ensured an indoor hydroponics facility exists.

e;

Crimson Harvest posted:

If y'all mean me, thanks! He's a minor and offscreen character in Consider Phlebas and I loved it from the second I saw it.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 25, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

botany posted:

The vanilla way of handling this was already covered, but the Better Workbench Management mod is useful for assigning jobs to specific pawns, among other things. It's very handy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Mister Adequate posted:

Randy can be a tremendous fucker and I love him for it. Take a look at these;

Is that mechanoid ship bridge object from a mod? I've never seen that one before. Pretty neat.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
It's from Mechanoid Tech, it's got some cool stuff but also some annoying things like having its own ludicrously expensive and work intensive materials and making the new mechanoids hard solely by having pretty much all of them have explosives which makes cover useless.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Sending someone on a caravan for even a short distance appears a massive undertaking for me. They have to take hundreds of kilograms of food and will be gone for stupid amounts of time as the crawl around the map. Am I doing it wrong? Is it how I am setting up the caravans that makes this so messed up and not worth it?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Realistic simulation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Decided to install a "curated modpack" was kinda fun until half my pawns decided to leave and form their own faction leaving me without a cook or grower and completely crippled, was a bit extreme.