Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

the issue with the debt ceiling is not necessarily trump. he seems willing to sign, but you gotta get the bill to his desk. and the hfc won't vote for a clean one, dems won't vote for a hfc-friendly one, and the hfc is threatening to unseat ryan if he passes a clean one. all of that has to get resolved while nobody trusts anyone and is jammed trying to also do a CR at the same time

Also by hinting that he would be pro-shutdown over border wall funding Trump has really riled up the Freedom Caucus people while at the same time undermining any chance at controlling them due to his open disdain for and attacks on the House and Senate leadership.

Edit:

Not dog tax

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Not sure why some people think Trump is going to ignore the hurricane. I fully believe his administration is going to bungle the response in meaningful ways, but nothing makes for better TV than the president helicoptering into a disaster area to hand out water. Trump loves being on TV. And it's red states. He might even get to sit in the driver's seat of a rescue helicopter and pretend to honk the horn. I bet he's already cleared his schedule

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
After the hurricane and everyone realizes there's nobody working at FEMA because Trump is too busy playing golf to appoint people the GOP congressmen will continue to do absolutely nothing because they have no spines and hope is a lie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol at the fact that it takes a literal act of god/force of nature for people to admit Republican presidents suck.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the black husserl posted:

The disapproval crocodile is so hungry. Guess playing to the nazi base wasn't the right move after all.

I'm more interested in its lower jaw. That seems a lot harder to open.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reik posted:

After the hurricane and everyone realizes there's nobody working at FEMA because Trump is too busy playing golf to appoint people the GOP congressmen will continue to do absolutely nothing because they have no spines and hope is a lie.

He appointed a guy to FEMA.

NOAA on the other hand.....

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Reik posted:

Haha, holy poo poo is FEMA really not staffed right now? That's... Uh, that's gonna be a thing.

lmao so we'll be able to respond to the destruction of this storm... If only we knew where to find it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Ugh, my cousin in Houston is planning on trying to ride out the storm

You're brother lives in Austin, go visit him for a few days :ughh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Infernicane

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea it was bad, but if I remember correctly it was kinda unexpected how big it was. This time they're a little more prepared, and Abbott has already declared states of emergency for the coast

Ah good to hear they've already declared a state of emergency. Just had a look at the new head of FEMA and it looks like he actually has quite a bit experience in disaster management including five years previously at FEMA specifically as Hurricane Program Manager. So as long as Trump stays out of his way he might actually be able to manage a decent federal response.

That's a big if, but as screwing things up would involve him not doing things rather than doing thing, hopefully for everyone's sake his natural laziness wins out.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My two cents on hurricane chat.

My fanfic says that Donnie is going to name drop Alex Jones and how the hurricane was caused by lizard people using the laser weapon array in the arctic . Also he can't find the keys/button to the laser weapon because the deep state keeps telling him there's no such thing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

The disapproval crocodile is so hungry. Guess playing to the nazi base wasn't the right move after all.

Yeah, he's dropped 4 percent in a week, and this is before he completely fucks up handling this hurricane

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Yeah I don’t know about that one man. Mt St Helens was a thing, and there’s been two decent quakes just in the 18 years I’ve lived in Seattle.
A tornado touched down in Eugene a couple years back. Weird as gently caress. It came out of nowhere, flipped some cars, vanished. :psyduck:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ought ten posted:

Not sure why some people think Trump is going to ignore the hurricane. I fully believe his administration is going to bungle the response in meaningful ways, but nothing makes for better TV than the president helicoptering into a disaster area to hand out water. Trump loves being on TV. And it's red states. He might even get to sit in the driver's seat of a rescue helicopter and pretend to honk the horn. I bet he's already cleared his schedule

http://www.wral.com/nc-asks-for-900m-in-flood-relief-feds-give-6-1m-cooper-says/16693270/

Trump gave NC less than 0.1% of the flood relief funding they requested

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/900739117750697985
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/900749143785734145

ought ten posted:

Trump is gonna Katrina the gently caress out of Texas.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Roger Stone is living his best life

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump is going to pardon him

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

The Glumslinger posted:

Ugh, my cousin in Houston is planning on trying to ride out the storm

Houston has two and a half million people, evacuation would be a nightmare. No need to actually evacuate unless you live in a flood prone area (these people know who they are)

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Drone posted:

Say the words "Donald J. Trump Presidential Library" and tell me how awful the taste is.

First presidential library to be vandalized?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I mean Roger is correct, there is a good chance that Trump tries to go full Putin before he is impeached and tries to have people killed.

As slimy as he is, I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't the first time.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
We haven't had one in a while but don't forget SHuckS is giving a press conference at 2:30pm eastern (one hour from now)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

We haven't had one in a while but don't forget SHuckS is giving a press conference at 2:30pm eastern (one hour from now)

:suspense:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Active shooter in Charleston. Stay safe everyone.
https://twitter.com/WCBD/status/900760461829963782

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Party Plane Jones posted:

Trump is gonna Katrina the gently caress out of Texas.

To be fair to Bush, he really wanted to send in the army to provide relief for New Orleans immediately after the hurricane hit. The only reason he didn't is that the law prohibited the federal government from intervening in state matters such as emergency relief without a formal request from the governor, and the governor of Louisiana was a total shithead.

However now that those laws are gone and there is clear precedent for military intervention in the case of natural disaster, I still wouldn't expect Trump to do anything. The guy is going to provide his condolences via tweet and then completely ignore the disaster.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The amount of Trumpists I have seen posting about how "this weather is fake news, it's all media hype to get ad dollars, it's not even a hurricane just a tropical depression" breaks my heart.

Too stupid to live.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The amount of Trumpists I have seen posting about how "this weather is fake news, it's all media hype to get ad dollars, it's not even a hurricane just a tropical depression" breaks my heart.

Too stupid to live.

If they live in that area then that problem will be quickly solved

WrenP-Complete posted:

My heart says crazy Trump supporter but my brain says...also crazy Trump supporter.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Too stupid to live.

Chances are a lot of those people will be directly effected, so that's good.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, he's dropped 4 percent in a week, and this is before he completely fucks up handling this hurricane

No a hurricane + flood is a great opportunity for teleprompter speeches, and a few handshake photo ops in a hardhat, in the disaster area.

I don't think even if it's a complete meltdown that anyone who supports Trump would blame him for it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah but this time he can get so much camera time acting like he's a very serious president (him making that scowling face) doing serious things which he thinks will make him look presidential. Remember to him it's all about how much positive media he can get.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WrenP-Complete posted:

https://twitter.com/joshdcaplan/status/900768138714914816

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

happy to see that cops are now rightly designated as active shooters

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Google Butt posted:

Chances are a lot of those people will be directly effected, so that's good.

yeah but then their deaths/debilitating injuries/ruined lives ripples out onto their family, friends, and communities who are not necessarily as willfully stupid and that's less good

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If they live in that area then that problem will be quickly solved

My heart says crazy Trump supporter but my brain says...also crazy Trump supporter.

They'll find a two year old Fav of a Bernie tweet and that'll be that

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm not sure about that. My parents' house flooded 3 separate times during that mess and the only thing noticeable improvement was a fallen utility pole being removed from a ditch (by someone in the neighborhood because the power company refused). Turns out the drainage network in that part of the county is still based off of a plan drawn up in 1978.

The neighborhood association did try to get the county to improve the ditch network but that died as soon as people were told they'd have to re-pave the end of their driveways at their own expense. My parents live in an unincorporated part of Montgomery County where they like Trump flags, milking FEMA while complaining about government waste, and not spending a dime if it might benefit someone else, though.

Here in town, with the new barriers maybe we can stop drowning people under 610 :eng99:

Oh yea they haven't changed anything, I just mean they know it's coming this time

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

farraday posted:

Harvey is now projected to be a Cat three when it makes landfall in Texas and now with our latest gen weather satellites you can see how hosed you are in stunning detail.

https://twitter.com/NOAASatellites/status/900712318492962818

I live on the Jersey Shore - we are still rebuilding from Sandy in 2012 and this photo is giving me extreme anxiety.

The Sandy aftermath was an utter shitshow and we had a functional government. I cannot fathom what horrors await us after this hurricane season.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

Trump is that you?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

One of my best friends is in Charleston right now visiting family and hasn't responded to texts or calls. I'm fretting a bit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Kelly posted:

I live on the Jersey Shore - we are still rebuilding from Sandy in 2012 and this photo is giving me extreme anxiety.

You people give us so much poo poo when we take a snow day every year but 5 years later you're still dealing with that one hurricane that hit you.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

WrenP-Complete posted:

One of my best friends is in Charleston right now visiting family and hasn't responded to texts or calls. I'm fretting a bit.

There's gotta be a ton of people there. There's a near 100% chance your friend is fine and just not responding for other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I think the last press conference was before Priebus and Bannon left, it's been like a month.

my prediction:

<possible special guest appearance to waste time>
SHuckS recaps all of Trump's recent accomplishments, he was so productive on his "vacation," Infrastructure Week was great, he signed a veterans bill! he even talked down Kim Jong Un from launching missiles, our President is so strong and good

now I'll take some questions

Q: why did you stop holding these press conferences and are you going to keep having them regularly
A: I have three kids and I can tell you sometimes you just get busy with other important things.

Q: can you say definitively whether the President condemns white supremacists because he keeps waffling and yelling at antifa
A: the fake news media have been mischaracterizing the President, I think his statements stand for themselves

Q: the President failed to push healthcare "reform" through Congress and all his advisory councils resigned after he endorsed Nazis, what makes you confident you can pass tax reform?
A: SMOKEBOMB

• Locked thread