Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Grantland with crappier writers, a smaller focus, and a subscription fee.

Yeah Grantland was the other example I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name.

Man, this just seems doomed to fail. I'd love to know how they convinced those venture capitalists to give them $2M because right now I can only assume it was through hypnotism or blackmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Reminder: the last offer sheet that successfully poached a player from his team was 10 years ago, for Dustin Penner.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

Reminder: the last offer sheet that successfully poached a player from his team was 10 years ago, for Dustin Penner.

There have been two successful offer sheets since McDavid was born.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah Grantland was the other example I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name.

Man, this just seems doomed to fail. I'd love to know how they convinced those venture capitalists to give them $2M because right now I can only assume it was through hypnotism or blackmail.

Uber lost almost $3 billion last year, $2m is nothing.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I subbed The Athletic during the Caps' series against Toronto. If they did a DC branch I'd stay subbed for sure based on what I've seen and I'd recommend it for the other cities they cover. If you aren't a fan of the teams in one of their cities I'd probably pass, but I'm glad I'll get to see what they do this coming regular season before I decide. I am completely at peace with paying for good stuff these days since that's the way everything is headed; and they do have a lot of good stuff even if there still are plenty of good free outlets for now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I gave Bodner 3 bux a month for his Sixers coverage, so :iiam:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

Uber lost almost $3 billion last year, $2m is nothing.

So did Netflix. Those however are large business with a proven working model and a large consumer base that are spending large amounts of money to corner their existing market. The Athletic is a small regional sports blog, perhaps the most saturated content market on the internet. Just because a venture capital firm can write off a $2M loss, doesn't mean they want to or will. They're beholden to their investors like any other equity firm. I would not be impressed if my quarterly report said my money was being invested in something that was almost certain to fail. That's not a risky investment, that's a no hope investment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

So did Netflix. Those however are large business with a proven working model

Well, not Uber. Uber isn't meant to succeed though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The real problem is that I keep reading The Athletic as The Atlantic and wondering why the gently caress they started covering sports.

Poor branding :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

The real problem is that I keep reading The Athletic as The Atlantic and wondering why the gently caress they started covering sports.

hahaha i hosed these two up for months too

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DJExile posted:

Because he's not worth it. He's a fine player but let's not pretend he's some mega game breaking talent.

He isn't worth a 2nd or a 3rd? Or do you mean acquiring a player like AA isn't worth becoming the target of Ken Holland's ire? If it's the latter, is any player worth it ever? Decent player, probably at a reasonable price tag, team can't afford to retain him, and receiving gm probably doesn't have a job this time next year (for the specific reasons that let to them not being able to afford a promising young player).

I don't see the risk here other than being I guess forever blackmailed by all other gms. If that's the case, they should just ditch offer sheets altogether, since they'll clearly never be used again.

Fake edit: I get the reasons for not approaching stars with sheets. They're stupid reasons, but I get them. This situation seems almost customer made for an offer sheet. Team can't afford him, compensation wouldn't be egregious or hard to swallow, might over pay a bit but isn't a bug money contract, helps a team with cap problems, gives the player some agency, encourages the movement of lesser pieces to shake things up, Ken Holland is an idiot, etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

I don't see the risk here other than being I guess forever blackmailed by all other gms. If that's the case, they should just ditch offer sheets altogether, since they'll clearly never be used again.

It's this. GMs are already risk-averse as hell (Holmgren was already basically nuts so he was an outlier) and they're not going to risk being blackballed over a guy worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
AA at 3 million per would be a mediocre signing where you also have to give up picks.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pick. A second. And I'm more arguing that if this isn't a scenario to sign a sheet I don't really see one. Might as well just get rid of the idea altogether at this point.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

So the Stars revealed which throwback they'll be debuting against the Wild. And it's the trolliest option possible.

Edit: The 93-94 one, for you few youngins.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 24, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jordan7hm posted:

AA at 3 million per would be a mediocre signing where you also have to give up picks.

18 goals and 29 points in 64 games and didn't he mainly play a 3rd line role? For a center in that role and being one of the fastest guys in the league that's pretty swell at $3 mill if you have the room.

Maybe he was used differently than I'm thinking though. Still, spitting distance of 20 goals in less than a full season

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

So the Stars revealed which throwback they'll be debuting against the Wild. And it's the trolliest option possible.

lmao

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

DOOMocrat posted:

somewhere top hats monthly clenches his fist in anger

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Levitate posted:

18 goals and 29 points in 64 games and didn't he mainly play a 3rd line role? For a center in that role and being one of the fastest guys in the league that's pretty swell at $3 mill if you have the room.

Maybe he was used differently than I'm thinking though. Still, spitting distance of 20 goals in less than a full season

Also, Blashill benched him for no loving reason multiple times. He should have easily gotten more TOI, but why when you have <overpaid_veteran>?

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

3 million dollars and a second round pick is alright for a 3rd line centre with a top 6 ceiling and there are a handful of teams that would do well to tell ken holland "gently caress your feelings" and send the damned sheet.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ThinkTank posted:

The Athletic is trying to position itself as the smart, insightful Playboy-of-the-70s-of-the-Modern-Sports-World by snapping up a bunch of moderately well respected (if somewhat smug) writers, and burning through a crap ton of capital to do so. However, it's not really creating a unique niche for itself that I can see. So far, its just taken a bunch of writers that were previously free and stuck them behind a pay wall and asked consumers to pay for the privilege of getting access to them again. They act like somehow this will enable the writers they've hired to produce more content, but for the most part they were paid newspaper employees or prolific bloggers. None of them were ever particularly short on content, and I doubt the Athletic can provide more contacts to them than they had already had (aside from a few outsider bloggers who might now have media passes).

In a world of oodles of free sports information and content it seems like a risky venture, especially at the price point they're asking. They're essentially charging the same rate as a top end feature magazine but with an incredibly limited focus right now and no real reputation to speak of yet. They're expecting their subscribers to foot the bill while they promise to expand, which is what a lot of kickstarter projects have got a lot of heat for doing. If they can't quickly grow and produce award winning content, this is going to come down like a ton of bricks. It's the newspaper equivalent of paying for potential. They might have the gravitas to attract a host of incredible writers and produce some world class content, but they're just as likely to flatline or fizzle out from here. The only distinction I see from a hundred other failed online sports magazines like the Sportsnet Magazine is that they're not under the umbrella of a parent organization. That makes them seem maybe a little more free to do as they wish, but at the same time they don't have a reputation to fall back on yet.

This feels like if Netflix had launched entirely with its own content. While it might be very good at times, there's no real reason for someone to subscribe at the moment. What does the Athletic provide that a million other sports websites, blogs and twitter users don't? A freedom from corporate influence? They're funded by venture capitalists. Some well respected writers? A few, but newspapers still corner the market on that and many have moved to free versions of their content. It doesn't even have a 'hook' article series or perspective that people want like the Players' Tribune (which is free btw).

I just don't see why I'm supposed to spent $100+ a year on what's essentially a glorified blog. It's an interesting idea, but the articles I've read are no different from anything else out there. Part of me is a bit torn because I know this is an attempt to find a novel solution to the dying print newspaper industry, but man oh man are they putting the cart before the horse here.

I was able to read Porty and company's stuff because my parents have an included online subscription to the Dispatch they never use for taking the physical paper. As long as Porty's on Twitter, I can get the gist of what's going on, especially if it's "CBJ trades X to Team Y in exchange for Z" in 140 characters or less.

Somebody saw that Jeff Gluck and a couple other writers went it alone and succeeded and are trying to do that with one big, sports catch-all site.

DJExile posted:

hahaha i hosed these two up for months too

I'm still doing it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DOOMocrat posted:

Not the Mooterus, who cares.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I can take jersey flak from many fanbases but hoo boy is Vancouver not one of them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

I can take jersey flak from many fanbases but hoo boy is Vancouver not one of them.

Mooterus and Calgary Flames snorting horse are the worst logos in the history of hockey. The Canucks have had some very poor jerseys in their history, but at least they've never had a wannabe badass cartoon animal for a logo.

The current Stars jersey/logo is really bad too. I quite liked their old ones though.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I hate the NCAA Div 3 jersey. Victory green is a massive improvement, even if the logo could be better.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

I hate the NCAA Div 3 jersey. Victory green is a massive improvement, even if the logo could be better.

Oh yeah, to be clear simple word marks suck in all sports (except for that old Minnesota Wild one, that was sweet). I meant their original Star makes the A in Stars logo, especially before the jersey went all 90s with the star shaped piping as well.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I was hoping for the star-cut jersey but every company since independent CCM has said "Oh no we can't do that."

Any Dallas sweater Jere wore is fine for this, but hey, why not pick the winningest one you had?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Mooterus and Calgary Flames snorting horse are the worst logos in the history of hockey. The Canucks have had some very poor jerseys in their history, but at least they've never had a wannabe badass cartoon animal for a logo.

They have a whale with gritted teeth right now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They have a whale with gritted teeth right now.

Good point

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DOOMocrat posted:

Victory green is a massive improvement, even if the logo could be better.

Done

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DOOMocrat posted:

Throwback? Is Adidas doing one-offs or something?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
should have just put this on a jersey

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

fits posted:

should have just put this on a jersey

This is hanging above my desk at work.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Throwback? Is Adidas doing one-offs or something?

I have no idea what the specifics of the deal are.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 24, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Levitate posted:

I still do this

Mooterus owned

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The current Dallas color scheme with their old logo would be rad as hell

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Well, not Uber. Uber isn't meant to succeed though.

yeah i wouldn't call them "proven" when they haven't even turned a profit. there's a lot of people that question whether or not they can be as is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gio posted:

yeah i wouldn't call them "proven" when they haven't even turned a profit. there's a lot of people that question whether or not they can be as is.

Uber exists for the sole purpose of redefining what an employee is.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

How many captains go on Twitter in August to comment on a rather frank quote about his team's shortcomings?

https://twitter.com/THNMattLarkin/status/900740239936901122

https://twitter.com/THNMattLarkin/status/900812958514769920

https://twitter.com/BiggieFunke/status/900884749513883648

I really hope the Jets find some success this season because otherwise there will need to be an awful reckoning.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I hope the Jets make the playoffs and get the poo poo kicked out of them by the Oilers on the way to a McDavid Conn Smythe and both fan bases can relive their respective glory days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jets are weird, I guess you can blame it on goaltending. They have talent but have consistently underwhelmed

• Locked thread