Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

you can be unhappy about the cost of something and accept that that's the price at the same time

It was a comment at the 1.5x what the boss wanted. Maybe he's unhappy, but I mean his perception seems waaaay off if 50% more is the required figs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qhat posted:

Does your boss not understand the market rates?

Lol. Their market rates are from 2013 and they don't consider that maybe a full stack engineer can't just be shoehorned into a senior engineer title just so they can reference their bullshit PDF.

Also they think 1099s should accept w2 rates LMBO.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 24, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qhat posted:

It was a comment at the 1.5x what the boss wanted. Maybe he's unhappy, but I mean his perception seems waaaay off if 50% more is the required figs.

They wanted 60$ an hour for a 1099 full stack embedded engineer. Hence the 1.5x offered. Because that poo poo SHOULD be 120$ an hour.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ratbert90 posted:

They wanted 60$ an hour for a 1099 full stack embedded engineer. Hence the 1.5x offered. Because that poo poo SHOULD be 120$ an hour.

jesus they should be glad they got him for just 90 then

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

hey the stack of figgies in my closet is getting too large. where is the financial advice thread? tia

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

jesus they should be glad they got him for just 90 then

Oh, no, he's 1099 through a recruitment agency. So I offered him 90$ which means we have to pay the recruitment agency around 120$

(Its 40% ish)

He's happy he gets more figgies.
Im happy I am getting somebody competent, and I am happy that the bosses are forced to pay more than their used to.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 24, 2017

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

HoboMan posted:

hey the stack of figgies in my closet is getting too large. where is the financial advice thread? tia

You're in the UK right? I work for a wealth manager, could get you a discount.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

HoboMan posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=200

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

HoboMan posted:

as a wealthy computer-toucher, it is your civic duty to be as stupid with your money as possible

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lol once after I got a big raise my boss was like 'now that you are so wealthy let me connect you with my financial advisor'

.... Who was a whole life insurance salesman :negative:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HoboMan posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741325

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:staredog: I just got a recruiter email through Facebook.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I put all my money into a savings account and then instead of buying a house like a helpful citizen, I spent half of it traveling abroad. Lol. gently caress off UK.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ratbert90 posted:

full stack embedded engineer

this guy has seen some poo poo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A company that I did a phone screening with over 3 weeks ago just invited me to interview in person. Feels good to turn them down.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redleader posted:

this guy has seen some poo poo

Oh believe me, any full stack embedded engineer has seen some hosed up poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if an embedded engineer hasn't seen hosed up poo poo it's because they're the gently caress up

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

if an embedded engineer hasn't seen hosed up poo poo it's because they're the gently caress up

Full stack means you've seen not only hosed up C, but ducked up JavaScript (but I repeat myself) and everything in between.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

programming embedded showed me that you can simulate some kind of state machine by throwing an ugly switch statement inside a for-loop
at least i think thats what it was supposed to be

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
took new job to get away from boss that blew up on me sometimes.

new boss blew up on me.

am I the problem? am I too argumentative?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Punkbob posted:

new boss blew up on me.

i mean, maybe but your bosses shouldn't be blowing up on you regardless. super uncool.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

jony neuemonic posted:

i mean, maybe but your bosses shouldn't be blowing up on you regardless. super uncool.

yeah I guess I believe that. But two of them blowing up on me in similar ways gives me pause. maybe I need to just keep my mouth shut. what he wants won’t work so why should I argue.

Gist of it is that I was hired on to his team to be a resource for another team. This other team is using a new cloud offering vs what they usually use. Go live is in 5 days on the new environment and my boss notices that the network is just set to the default from the cloud provider.

he freaks out because he wants to avoid conflicts by manually specifying it to a set range which on the face of it is fine? issue is that he doesn’t understand the differences in networking between the two providers are complicated by the platform the other team built on and got mad at me when I tried to interject that the thing he’s railing on is not gonna work(although I was right about it not going to work I misunderstood and incorrectly explained why). I guess I should of taken the hint and shut up which is my downfall, which led to him yelling at me and telling me he wasn’t asking anything and that I had to obey his order and why was I arguing with him.

honestly I need to get that I am on team a, and that team b is my enemy. once this project is done he’s my boss forever and I can’t hide down with the other team forever.

but gently caress it team b is in the right and my boss needs to get that his ideal version of how this poo poo works is in a minority and he needs to accept that the community is going in a different direction.

it’s my 3rd week so I can’t quit, but goddamn.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

yes you can quit who told you that

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah, the typical "don't bail" advice is only because if you gamble, leave a mediocre job, and land in an awful one you're kinda stuck for a bit. it definitely doesn't apply to abusive bosses.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

jony neuemonic posted:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Your boss didn't respect your opinion. This makes him bad. Unless of course you propose things in a deliberately abrasive way, in which case you are the bad person.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

:staredog: I just got a recruiter email through Facebook.

this is like getting "Happy Birthday" from random people on LinkedIn. They need to figure out what they want to be

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaman Linavi posted:

programming embedded showed me that you can simulate some kind of state machine by throwing an ugly switch statement inside a for-loop
at least i think thats what it was supposed to be

the for-case experience

Iverron
May 13, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

yeah, the typical "don't bail" advice is only because if you gamble, leave a mediocre job, and land in an awful one you're kinda stuck for a bit. it definitely doesn't apply to abusive bosses.

just leave it off the resume completely, a gap of a month or two isn't going to matter much

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

qhat posted:

Unless of course you propose things in a deliberately abrasive way, in which case you are the bad person.
I've seen people do this unintentionally. Sometimes it's just a self-awareness thing:
- colleague who used to rubber-duck in meetings, which made him sound unnecessarily authoritative and completely clueless.
- guy who insisted on arguing when he wasn't sure of the point he was trying to make.
- another guy who blurted out his thoughts as soon as they came into his head, interrupting and talking over other people.
- yet another guy who had trouble communicating his point so he'd just repeat himself endlessly, frustrating everyone else.

That said, a good boss would recognize these types of people and de-escalate. Yelling at someone is a bad sign.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if your boss gets to the point where he feels like he needs to yell at you about something, that's his fault, not yours. if he doesn't respond well to bona fide rational argument, fall back to the strategy of "do it exactly how he says, send passive cover-your-rear end emails, disavow all responsibility when it eventually blows up in his face"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the important thing to remember is that you know precisely how everything works after only three weeks and, being the smartest person in the room, everyone else should instantly acquiesce to your plans, no matter their level of experience or authority

be sure to really drive that point home, people are always looking for a fresh perspective from a someone that's not even been there a month

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
why do you even post in this forum

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

HoboMan posted:

Try bogleheads

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HoboMan posted:

Just put it in a Vanguard fund numbered around when you want to retire. Google "Backdoor Roth" also.

Remember that you can't time the market (no one can) unless you have insider information (and you don't because you wouldn't be posting on a dead gay forum if you did), shoot for an index fund.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

because idiots keep quoting and / or replying to him

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

JewKiller 3000 posted:

tbh he's not entirely wrong but really it could be summed up as

qhat posted:

Your boss didn't respect your opinion. This makes him bad. Unless of course you propose things in a deliberately abrasive way, in which case you are the bad person.

also don't quote a stymie

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Punkbob posted:

new boss blew up on me.

Serious response here.

You wait a couple of days for things to cool down, and then you go talk to exploded boss, with something like "hey, so I wanted to figure out a bit what happened for things to escalate between us during the meeting last <day of week> to make sure things go smoothly between us in the future. Do you have a bit of time to talk about it?"

This is not going to be a technical discussion about who is right or not, but about figuring out everyone's state of minds and expectations during the event. The objective is to set up a context where it feels safe to open up and discuss what is really going on; the objective is not to criticize or figure out right or wrong, but to make sure everyone is on the same page with regards to what happened and why it did.

When boss is ready for the conversation, you go and tell them that the vocal reaction you received and the sudden heat of the discussion took you by surprise, and you'd like to figure out what led up to it. You don't tell your point of view yet, you ask them for their vision of things.

You may get anything from them telling you they are under stress for X and they're sorry, or that they have observed a disrespectful pattern Y from you, or that the way you said thing made them feel some way, or just flat out dipshit responses like "you shut up I'm the boss don't second-guess me you junior garbage". If you get the latest, you get up and leave calmly, give your notice and/or switch teams to find a more adult person to work with.

If it's any of the reasonable answers, acknowledge their feelings, and then you may show your point of view. You felt this was a technical argument and did not realize the aspect of the situation that led them to perceive things the way they did, and you worry it might even be a pattern in how you do things. Open up by offering them to call you out a bit earlier on annoying behaviour if you both want things to be corrected. If everyone is in a good environment that they try to improve, this should be no problem to you nor them. You'll be able to move on, and you'll have a much better relationship with your manager going then.

Now this is not likely to yield really amazing results, because if your boss was truly reasonable, they'd have had the experience and emotional intelligence or awareness to do this poo poo with you already without you having had to lead the way at first, but that may have been a lapse that can be fixed.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 25, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what the heck is this, a good post in yospos??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
They got back to me and they want an interview :yayclod:

• Locked thread