Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

namaste faggots posted:

Lol holy poo poo the 28-300L weighs twice as much as the Nikkor.

Yeah it's not meant to be a travel zoom for vacationing dads, I think it's more of a "war zone photojournalist" all in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm struggling to find a solar eclipse filter that will fit my Nikon lenses (52mm I believe) that will also ship to me quickly (I need to receive it no later than thursday, august 17th) and doesn't cost a ridiculous amount (I doubt I'll use it for more than just photographing the eclipse). Any leads?

Complicating the search is of course the fact that some loving company named their range of filters "eclipse" even though they're emphatically not for photographing the eclipse.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'm struggling to find a solar eclipse filter that will fit my Nikon lenses (52mm I believe) that will also ship to me quickly (I need to receive it no later than thursday, august 17th) and doesn't cost a ridiculous amount (I doubt I'll use it for more than just photographing the eclipse). Any leads?

Complicating the search is of course the fact that some loving company named their range of filters "eclipse" even though they're emphatically not for photographing the eclipse.

Good | Fast | Cheap

Pick two

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll be in totality so the filter is just for the crescent phases, which I don't care as much about. So I'll take Fast and Cheap.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy poo poo these things are expensive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I might have to just buy some "solar filter foil" from these guys http://tse17.com/eclipse-shop/ and make my own lovely handmade filter.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Welding goggles?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Leperflesh posted:

I might have to just buy some "solar filter foil" from these guys http://tse17.com/eclipse-shop/ and make my own lovely handmade filter.

This is what I'm doing. Spending a lot of scratch on a filter you'll use a grand total of 30 minutes every 20 years is a fool's game.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Would an ND filter work? I have one I need to unload

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Maybe if it was like 10+ stops.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was thinking of bringing my camera to work and taking some pics when it hits, so nice to know my 10stop might stop me blowing the sensor. Not in direct path and nothing great in walking distance here so eh. Maybe just do some bad street photography of people half caring about the sky

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was thinking of bringing my camera to work and taking some pics when it hits, so nice to know my 10stop might stop me blowing the sensor. Not in direct path and nothing great in walking distance here so eh. Maybe just do some bad street photography of people half caring about the sky

I do it once in a while too. Depending on what your work is, they could use the photos as promo photography - the company I work for uses mine as imagery in their brochures and marketing materials.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
a 10 stop visible light ND is not going to stop all the UV and IR light you're magnifying via your lens. This is why they make special solar filters

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vancouver BC is supposed to get 90% of the eclipse so should be a cool effect nonetheless, looking forward to taking some pics

also https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1343714-REG/formatt_hitech_fc72eclp5_4_firecrest_72mm_eclipse_5_4.html $169 USD gently caress me

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Theophany posted:

I do it once in a while too. Depending on what your work is, they could use the photos as promo photography - the company I work for uses mine as imagery in their brochures and marketing materials.

Yeah I'm trying to convince them to let me go to some customer properties and take some photos (we're a landscaping firm, but tend to be small and worth of mouth orientated so there's next to nothing in the way of promo material out there except coverage magazines have done). Would be fun to go out to some multi million dollar place and get a photo of it all next to the eclipse. Sadly the office I work out of is just plain and boring.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
honestly your best bet is to get the same "foil" stuff that folks get to be able to point telescopes at the sun and a rubber band and wrap that around the front of your lens

I have a homemade solar filter for my 8" reflector telescope and it allows me to see sunspots. (I didn't make the filter)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it's hard even to get the foil for a reasonable price. The one I linked yesterday is sold out now. I'm debating just not bothering to take direct sun photos outside of totality. My plan right now is to get the total eclipse in the Eastern sky juxtaposed in frame with Mount Jefferson in Oregon. I'll have close to three minutes to get that shot and otherwise I can take photos of shadows on the ground or whatever.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Be careful, even for a 10-stop filter you'd probably need to go f22 at a pretty high speed (and be extra double careful using a DSLR eyepiece, 'cause that's straight lens->mirror->eyeball). The eclipse-specific foil stuff I bought is equivalent to 16.5 stops. I can just barely make out bright incandescent lights through it.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

Mirage posted:

Be careful, even for a 10-stop filter you'd probably need to go f22 at a pretty high speed (and be extra double careful using a DSLR eyepiece, 'cause that's straight lens->mirror->eyeball). The eclipse-specific foil stuff I bought is equivalent to 16.5 stops. I can just barely make out bright incandescent lights through it.

Do not use the eyepiece for a 10d filter at all. Live view only and make sure the aperture is as tight as possible for the lens and it should be fine... You can test on an older camera at whatever time of day the eclipse is supposed to happen where you'll a be, if you have one and are worried about loving up the sensor. There's a pretty big sunspot at the moment, I believe.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
If you could bring one lens on a 5 day hiking trip in Alaska what would it be? How about if it had to be under 400 used?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Probably my Tamron 90 mm macro. You could argue it's on the long end, but I personally don't care much for wide angle landscapes and instead prefer picking out details, and you probably won't need to photograph in super close quarters.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I'm starting to think all I really need is my 50mm 1.8D, but the lens I use most often in Alaska is my 18-35 3.5-4.5 which you can get for ~$350 used.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

huhu posted:

If you could bring one lens on a 5 day hiking trip in Alaska what would it be? How about if it had to be under 400 used?

I think you will want a superzoom lens that can reasonably do both big landscapes and picking out wildlife. You will be compromising of course, because a superzoom has a lot of elements which presumably degrade image quality. There are inexpensive superzoom options, like the Tamron 18-200, and more options if you are willing to buy used or (especially) rent a high-quality lens.

A superzoom is also heavy. If you want to save weight, I'd go with a fixed aperture lens equivalent to Nifty 50mm depending on if you're full frame or cropped frame (crop frame do 28mm). You won't get the best landscapes and you won't pick out e.g. a bear at 2 miles away or whatever, but it'll be compact and light and perform well.

Arken_ca
Sep 14, 2011
Anyone here have experience with Nikon pro bodies (D3-D5)? I heard they confirm focus differently while in af--s (more like Canon bodies in this aspect) than non-pro nikon bodies. Specifically the af point flashes once when pressing the af button, then flashes again on focus confirmation, while the non-pro only flash the af point once at the initiation of focus. Is this the case?

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
We're expecting our first child in a few months and I would like to pick up a 50mm lens for my 7200 so I can take some newborn pictures when she arrives. Based on my research so far, I'm leaning toward Nikon's 1.8G. Anyone have any recommendations on lenses they think might be better?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The 7200 is a crop sensor so if you want the fov of a 50 then get a 35. The Nikon 35 dx version is the one you want.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I'm fairly well-invested into Canon, but goddamn if I could snap my fingers and switch all of my gear over to Nikon equivalents I'd do it in a heartbeat. The new D850 is nuts.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/1585/d850.html

red19fire
May 26, 2010

dakana posted:

I'm fairly well-invested into Canon, but goddamn if I could snap my fingers and switch all of my gear over to Nikon equivalents I'd do it in a heartbeat. The new D850 is nuts.

I'm pretty steamed that a year after I switched to fuji, Nikon finally returns to making a slightly less powerful version of their flagship beast camera, a la the d3/d700.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

red19fire posted:

I'm pretty steamed that a year after I switched to fuji, Nikon finally returns to making a slightly less powerful version of their flagship beast camera, a la the d3/d700.

The thing that was most surprising to me is how they're adding features like focus peaking & stacking, zebras, 4k and 8k timelapses without shutter actuations, and WiFi & Bluetooth while still delivering fantastic specs in terms of weathersealing, autofocus, burst rate, and resolution.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
It's almost like Nikon is interested in making and selling the best product they can, instead of frustratingly price engineering their whole range.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mightaswell posted:

It's almost like Nikon is interested in making and selling the best product they can, instead of frustratingly price engineering their whole range.

Yet they still took out the 2nd card slot in the D7300, which was a pretty dick move.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Nikon's WiFi implementations are a loving joke, though.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

dakana posted:

The Nikon D850 Doubles as a 35mm 45.7MP Film Scanner.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Hot drat that 850. Welp anyone want my second body 810 with battery grip? 😀

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Canon: slightly better lenses

Nikon: much better bodies

can't they just gently caress merge

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I need like $10,000 CAD for a D850 plus lenses tyvm thread

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Who wants to buy a d750

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 850's trick is the in-body inversion. You can just use the same accessories on the body you have. You can live with 24MP scans, trust me.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The D850 is so tempting. Probably will get it the second its on sale for a decent price (EU land). I originally wanted to get a FX body at some point to complement my D500 for high res shots of static subjects, and to avoid having to switch lenses all the time, but with those specs the reason to keep my D500 is to always have a camera ready. And for the 3 extra FPS, since also getting the grip + big battery + charger will probably be out of my reach for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TheBananaKing posted:

Nikon's WiFi implementations are a loving joke, though.

No kidding, I can't even figure out what their intended use is at all.