Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If we're going to be mad about random poo poo can I go back to being mad about squeezable sides and the fact that both phones are going to have them? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

And people haven't blamed HTC for the Pixel's issues like the Mic and Supply issues? Shouldn't that not be an issue if Google was in charge?

It's not that it isn't an issue, it's that it's Google's problem and not HTC's

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sure Google can put strict requirements on LG, but what are they going to bring in their own physical workforce to replace the whole LG team to make sure it's done right?

They are going to have quality tolerances built into the contract. This isn't a difficult concept. The Pixel 2 will be just as much of an LG phone as the PS4 is a foxconn game console. Who would you blame if your PS4 unsoldered itself?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

If we're going to be mad about random poo poo can I go back to being mad about squeezable sides and the fact that both phones are going to have them? :(

I've never used a phone with squeezable sides, I'm a little unsure what that even is or what it feels like

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EdEddnEddy posted:

And people haven't blamed HTC for the Pixel's issues like the Mic and Supply issues? Shouldn't that not be an issue if Google was in charge?

HTCs inability to conform to Google's expectations is exactly why LG is producing the XL 2. They are taking action and presumably learning from their experiences.

Let's also not forget that Huawei left Google in a lurch with very little time to work with HTC. The fact that the Pixel is as good as it is speaks volumes for how much of the work Google was doing. It's the model working correctly, being able to pick up the design and go to a different ODM to produce it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

They are going to have quality tolerances built into the contract. This isn't a difficult concept. The Pixel 2 will be just as much of an LG phone as the PS4 is a foxconn game console. Who would you blame if your PS4 unsoldered itself?

Microsoft found out how much blame Flextronics would take for the Red Ring of Death, so....

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never used a phone with squeezable sides, I'm a little unsure what that even is or what it feels like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdRxmu2jcMs&t=194s

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I don't want squeezable sides, I want a nexus s-esque curved phone

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

It's not that it isn't an issue, it's that it's Google's problem and not HTC's

I understand this, but you can still be mad at the maker if you know who they are as well as the company that had them make it. Consumer then will direct rage at whoever has their money and warranty number.

If you know that Foxconn has had recent issues with X and Sony/Google/Whatever decided to make something with them anyway that may run into the same said issue, and DOES! Then really, is it not surprising to be both pissed at both Foxconn for messing it up again and Sony/Google/Whatever for trusting them, putting "Quality Tolerances" on them, and still having the predicted outcome occur?

On that thought though, why is Google still going to other OEM's rather then just sourcing parts and going to Foxconn like nearly everyone else does? I know HTC started out building devices for others similar to Foxconn way back in the day (Dell Axim's, PPC6700, etc), not sure about LG.

I have no skin in the Pixel game as I have an Essential PH-1 coming that will probably have its own share of issues to run into at some point. I don't wish doom and gloom on the Pixel 2, but going off of the makers track record, I will not be surprised if issues crop up that we have seen again and again. And if everything is perfect, that would be fantastic.

As a holder of a U11 currently, the squeezable sides have finally gotten to be actually kind of neat. (Hated it before when all it could do was launch the camera every time you picked up the drat thing). Now its a little more like the Moto Gestures to turn on the camera or flashlight with a chop/twist, I do a solid squeeze and it turns on the flashlight, or set it to do whatever you want in whatever app you want now. Will it be popular with the Pixel crowd though, eh.... Don't know.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 24, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm extremely skeptical the essential phone will be good, but it looks nice

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Blue Train posted:

I'm extremely skeptical the essential phone will be good, but it looks nice

Apparently they finished up the 360 Cam to ship with the phone so I'll let the thread know how it seems once it's in hand.

15 days to give it a good rundown so I figure it's worth a shot and the Titanium/Ceramic/Edgeless screen really does look nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

On that thought though, why is Google still going to other OEM's rather then just sourcing parts and going to Foxconn like nearly everyone else does? I know HTC started out building devices for others similar to Foxconn way back in the day (Dell Axim's, PPC6700, etc), not sure about LG.

Likely scale and underutilized capacity.

Google isn't building enough phones for Foxconns of the world to give them competitive rates. Both HTC and LG have the capability while at the same time aren't moving that many devices. So, there's incentive for them to sell some of their manufacturing capacity on the cheap to a low volume product.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is it....a heat sensor or something? Is the side of the phone capacitive? Are there physical sensors that depress with pressure? Is it like the iPhone 7 home button where it doesn't physically move and just has haptic feedback?

I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around it!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it....a heat sensor or something? Is the side of the phone capacitive? Are there physical sensors that depress with pressure? Is it like the iPhone 7 home button where it doesn't physically move and just has haptic feedback?

I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around it!

Pressure sensitive casing

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/07/google-reportedly-secured-a-squeezable-frame-patent-in-2013.html

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Super interesting from a technical standpoint, I'll probably google this some more. Thanks!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So if I have an iphone (and plan on keeping one because I can't do without iMessage) but want to check out android for all it's glory a Samsung Galaxy 8 for $570 unlocked is bad idea? I'd honestly use it mostly for camera and playing around with android seeing if there is anyway I could switch fully away from iOS. The number one thing I care about with a phone is camera.... (getting into vblogging).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If I want to have a new phone for a trip I'm taking at the end of December, I should probably wait a few months, right?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's hard to recommend a Samsung phone. If the thing you care about the most is a camera, the Pixel is your best bet.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

FISHMANPET posted:

If I want to have a new phone for a trip I'm taking at the end of December, I should probably wait a few months, right?

Yeah, roughly till December I reckon.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

+1 on the Pixel. If you want a fantastic and fast camera, Pixel Is still the one to beat. Maybe Pixel 2 once it's out if you care to wait for it.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

LionArcher posted:

So if I have an iphone (and plan on keeping one because I can't do without iMessage) but want to check out android for all it's glory a Samsung Galaxy 8 for $570 unlocked is bad idea? I'd honestly use it mostly for camera and playing around with android seeing if there is anyway I could switch fully away from iOS. The number one thing I care about with a phone is camera.... (getting into vblogging).

That's an expensive tinkertoy. Android devices within the $150-300 range will better suite your need to play around with Android.

If you absolutely must have an excellent camera, go with a Nexus 6P or working 5X.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

If nothing else, Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Please Buy Our poo poo For The Love Of God Wednesday will be between then and now so you can probably get something good on sale if you wait.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Don't buy a 6P they have processors that are melting and are getting sued for it

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The real answer, of course, is to save your money. If you're used to the iphone, it's going to be tough to find any android phone better. Unless you get a pixel, your camera quality will be worse. Your best case scenario here is spending $600 so you can say "I guess this is just as good."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, by all reports (at least that I've heard), the Pixel has the best smartphone camera out there right now, so if you're gonna throw upwards of $500 at a spare phone, that's the one to throw it at. (Or just buy a real camera, assuming such things still exist.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you want a Pixel 2, make the decision to commit as so as they go live on the store on October 5th or you likely won't get one until 2018.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

docbeard posted:

Yeah, by all reports (at least that I've heard), the Pixel has the best smartphone camera out there right now, so if you're gonna throw upwards of $500 at a spare phone, that's the one to throw it at. (Or just buy a real camera, assuming such things still exist.)

Okay I'll just put that $500 towards a real Sony camera in the near future. Thanks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If you want a Pixel 2, make the decision to commit as so as they go live on the store on October 5th or you likely won't get one until 2018.

The optimistic part of me thinks Google learned their lesson from the last Pixel supply shortages.

The realistic part of me is laughing its rear end off at the above

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

LionArcher posted:

Okay I'll just put that $500 towards a real Sony camera in the near future. Thanks.

If you want to play around with android specifically "for science" then buy a Moto G5+ with 4 GB RAM because that's going to be the most pleasant Android experience that doesn't cost :$$flagshipbux$$: as of this moment.

The thing about Samsung (and a fair number Android manufacturers in general) is that they love love love doing baffling modifications to the UI and user experience (ugh touchwiz) and generally being a pest with weird middleware that attempts to emulate things Google already does but worse (bixby vs Google assistant, Samsung Health, ect) in ways that really detract from the goon perception of them.

If you want to try Android just to try Android, wait another month or two and wait for the Google Pixel to drop in price in advance of the Pixel 2 coming out. That will be the most 'pure' android experience one can have and it won't be flagship priced by that point anymore.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I know this is the experience many had, but it was not universal. I placed an order from Google for a 128GB Pixel November 2, it shipped November 11 (and T-Mobile gave me $325 bill credit for bringing it!). Also, got a Pixel from Verizon on November 24 through Best Buy for half off. IIRC, play store often had models in stock, it just wasn't necessarily the color, size, and storage combo you might want.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Don't buy a 6P they have processors that are melting and are getting sued for it
Really? How is that even possible? I thought the thing has an aluminium shell, which is just about the optimal heat sink.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Really? How is that even possible? I thought the thing has an aluminium shell, which is just about the optimal heat sink.

Its just suffering from the same bootloop issue as almost all other 808/810 powered devices. While it is a great device, I can't say I trust it to last past 6months even with a fresh refurb unless you get one that has a build date of April 2017 and even then.

The battery issue was bad batteries, but Bootloops are all pointing to bad Qualcomm chips.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Something about heat, solder, and the large cores for the 6P

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 810 is a loving blast furnace.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

The 810 is a loving blast furnace.

Even in an air conditioned car, my 6P got hot as gently caress if it was plugged in and in the sunlight

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 24, 2017

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I changed my mind I'm getting an Iphone

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Even in an air conditioned car, my 6P got hot as gently caress if it was plugged in and in the sunlight

Funny enough the z5c seemed to do fine with the 810.

Sony makes mostly decent phones and supports them for several years. :shrug:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The better phones using those chips throttled them

3peat
May 6, 2010

After a week of use of the Xiaomi redmi note 4x, an update on the battery: on the heaviest use day I had 8 hours and 20 mins of screen on time (w/ brightness fixed at about 75%), I downloaded a couple dozen apps over 4G, played some games, youtube, internet browsing, etc and at the end of the day I still had 10% battery. This is orders of magnitude better than my old nexus 5.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

The better phones using those chips throttled them

Oh believe me, the 6P could throttle like a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sirbeefalot posted:

Oh believe me, the 6P could throttle like a motherfucker.

Confirmed.

When it throttles (which is whenever it warms up even a couple degrees), it's complete dogshit.