Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

kanako's bmi is actually still severely underweight

nevermind it's considered very average

yeah im talking about how she's drawn fucko, official stats are fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i learned official stats were fake like a decade ago when i looked up akiha from tsukihime and found out she was supposed to be like 80 pounds wtf

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I learned official stats were fake when my doctor told me I'm 5'8 even though I'm clearly 5'10

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cake Attack posted:

I learned official stats were fake when my doctor told me I'm 5'8 even though I'm clearly 5'10

I keep telling you, you're supposed to take off your shoes first!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

i learned official stats were fake like a decade ago when i looked up akiha from tsukihime and found out she was supposed to be like 80 pounds wtf

99 pounds, actually. :goonsay:

Edit: I decided to look up the other Type-Moon characters and discovered that Hisui, Kohaku, and Saber all weigh slightly less than Akiha. I suppose Avalon kept Arturia from gaining weight...

On the other hand, Arcueid and Ciel weigh 115 pounds each (still lighter than I'd expect for Arc), and Bazett 128.

Caren somehow weighs only 88 pounds.

Moving on to the male characters, Shirou weighs the same as Bazett, Shiki weighs 126 lbs, and Waver 110 (150 by the time of Stay Night).

Iskander, who is nearly 7 feet tall, weighs 287 pounds.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 23, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tarezax posted:

As a 2013 reg you may not know this, but ADTRW used to have an infestation of literal pedos before the great pedogeddon where they were all permabanned. This was back in like 2007

There were still some occasional weirdos who survived pedogeddon and would pop up now and then, like heiden, the guy who was waaaaaay too into a guro version of Little Red Riding Hood.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
SideM prologue featuring Jupiter basically recapping their story from the im@s OG anime and the aftermath coming out next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgZN2QN0Abs

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 23, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Paracelsus posted:

a guro version of Little Red Riding Hood.

What the actual gently caress. :stonk:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

they don't call her red for nothing

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Knorth posted:

Hungry mermaid and her new boyfriend were very cute in the new Isekai Shokudou. However! There are only a few episodes left (:() and the OP promised me a gang of fairies in awe of a dessert and I'm still waiting :colbert:

This.
Also very happy for Aletta getting a full-time job.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's only natural. The wolf does get chopped in the original tale, after all.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The manga was called Tokyo Akazukin. The guy's avatar was from it, I think he was involved in the group translating it, and he kept talking it up. I think the deal was that Red was some sort of regenerator who kept getting disemboweled (plus some good old fashioned surprise sex), but it's been years since I've heard/thought about it and I'm not going to go look it up.

He eventually got perma'd but it took a lot longer than I expected it to.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Droyer posted:

But you're still here?

what the hell :(

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

The manga was called Tokyo Akazukin. The guy's avatar was from it, I think he was involved in the group translating it, and he kept talking it up. I think the deal was that Red was some sort of regenerator who kept getting disemboweled (plus some good old fashioned surprise sex), but it's been years since I've heard/thought about it and I'm not going to go look it up.

He eventually got perma'd but it took a lot longer than I expected it to.

Sounds a bit like Nana's Everyday Life given the regenerative thing. I vaguely recall something like that way back when and I think I'm more sensitive to that kind of stuff now than before.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Xelkelvos posted:

Sounds a bit like Nana's Everyday Life given the regenerative thing. I vaguely recall something like that way back when and I think I'm more sensitive to that kind of stuff now than before.

It definitely wasn't Nana's Everyday Life, that was based on Elfen Leid and part of the point was that Nana couldn't regenerate her arms.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

It definitely wasn't Nana's Everyday Life, that was based on Elfen Leid and part of the point was that Nana couldn't regenerate her arms.

Maybe it was Mai-chan's Daily Life? It's pretty notorious. (I haven't read it and don't recommend that you read it either.)

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

the image where every macross character is 18 or younger

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knorth posted:

Hungry mermaid and her new boyfriend were very cute in the new Isekai Shokudou. However! There are only a few episodes left (:() and the OP promised me a gang of fairies in awe of a dessert and I'm still waiting :colbert:

I agree with all this, but the promise of dwarfs next week will hold me until the fairies show up

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

dogsicle posted:

personally i was interested in how this would play out in terms of just speaking about fiction in general. but yeah i'm surprised a centaur's worries thread doesn't exist, plenty of people itt consistently bring it up.
no one wants to be the goon who makes it and be forever known as 'the horse pussy thread guy.'

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wait wait wait

Symphogear's sex is weird?

Boobs and butts are weird?
i mean

the naked electroshock torture in the first season was a little weird

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe it was Mai-chan's Daily Life? It's pretty notorious. (I haven't read it and don't recommend that you read it either.)

Yeah, I got the names confused. They're relatively similar names and I really did not want to look up Mai-chan's Daily Life to make sure it was the correct one.

I still remember a few of the hosed up things that involved the baby.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So we stop talking about these horrible horrible things I just saw Your Name.

It was very pretty but my issues with Shinkai's storytelling are still present. Characters babbling exposition endlessly, over-reliance on a romance plot, lack of clear motivations, no real character development, the resolution being unearned, bullshit contrivances...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah it owned

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it was funny when he drank her old-rear end spit

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Your Name ruled.

Also, check out this fuckin packaging :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/900524570100346881

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Fangz posted:

It was very pretty but my issues with Shinkai's storytelling are still present. Characters babbling exposition endlessly, over-reliance on a romance plot, lack of clear motivations, no real character development, the resolution being unearned, bullshit contrivances...

Have you seen Koe no Katachi/Silent Voice(s?) yet? Not that they're similar movies or anything, just that it's this year's other big, pretty anime movie.

I enjoyed Your Name, but for all it's flaws Koe no Katachi has stayed with me much more.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hocus Pocus posted:

Have you seen Koe no Katachi/Silent Voice(s?) yet? Not that they're similar movies or anything, just that it's this year's other big, pretty anime movie.

I enjoyed Your Name, but for all it's flaws Koe no Katachi has stayed with me much more.

I cried a few sappy romance tears during Your Name, A Silent Voice ripped my soul completely apart. I would sooner rewatch Your Name because it's gorgeous and ultimately happy, but A Silent Voice is definitely the more impactful movie, if harder to watch.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Haven't had the courage to watch A Silent Voice yet, but I would rate 'In This Corner of the World' above Your Name; it's engrossing, moving and bleak but does not go full into Grave of the Butterflies torture territory. 2016 was a good anime movie year.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Your Name is my second favorite movie over the past couple of years, only being surpassed by Mad Max: Fury Road, so I loved it a lot. A surprise from Shinkai since I recently re-watched Voices From a Distant Star and boy that did not age well. I've always been lukewarm on his other movies too. Hopefully whatever changed his storytelling carry over to the next movie.

I remember liking the Koe no Katachi manga quite a bit other than the event right before the ending, which seemed a bit contrived. Hopefully the movie will come to a theater I can go to.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

dogsicle posted:

old-rear end spit

Better than old rear end-spit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hocus Pocus posted:

Yep, I liked A Silent Voice a lot more.

Trying to find out how I can see In This Corner of the World.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

Your Name ruled.

Also, check out this fuckin packaging :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/900524570100346881
loving rad, as soon as I finished Your Name I went looking for the BD but only found imports.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i was real worried about your name after fuckin hating 5 cm per second but the movie really owned, imo

Fangz posted:

the resolution seemed earned to me? they did terrorisms to save the people of the town and then wandered around for half a decade searching for eachother and poo poo. the only thing that didnt really make sense to me was why mitsuha's friends so uncritically accepted her assessment of the comet impact (even before finding the evidence that this has happened before) but maybe they did b/c of her families history of magic freaky friday dreams. but w/e you also complained about a romance movie having a romance plot

still need to watch a silent voice

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Homura and Sickle posted:

i was real worried about your name after fuckin hating 5 cm per second but the movie really owned, imo

the resolution seemed earned to me? they did terrorisms to save the people of the town and then wandered around for half a decade searching for eachother and poo poo. the only thing that didnt really make sense to me was why mitsuha's friends so uncritically accepted her assessment of the comet impact (even before finding the evidence that this has happened before) but maybe they did b/c of her families history of magic freaky friday dreams. but w/e you also complained about a romance movie having a romance plot

still need to watch a silent voice

The problem is that that plan doesn't work. Instead the actual resolution is Mitsuha going to talk to her father, which cleared things up offscreen and set up an entirely separate evacuation plan based on faking a evacuation drill. That is what was reported on in the news. We've been given no reason or really an understanding how Mitsuha could manage to convince her dad, but this basically totally works because?? The other problem is that this doesn't tie into the romance plot at all. In the middle of all this stuff about the end of the town, after the comet has started splitting apart (!) Taki-in-Mitsuha has to take a detour to the shrine so that they can have a meetup, and then Mitsuha on foot has to run to her dad, and the film subverts the urgency of her quest with the entirely separate thing about them not remembering each other's names. Finally them two getting back together is left entirely a matter of chance as is them continuous failing to make connections for like twenty minutes because Shinkai does things like have them walk past each other without reacting. The plot just suddenly decides to throw them together when it had been just earlier almost perversely splitting them apart.

A better written movie would actually tie together these plots. Like, I dunno, maybe have the father be a bigger part of the show so that you can sell Mitsuha being able to convince her dad due to her reconsidering her earlier hatred of the town - you know, have the characters develop a little instead of stay absolutely static. Separate out the romance, so that for example them forgetting each other is clearly outlined as the 'price' of saving the village, that they don't realise they've paid until they save it. Make the reconcilliation earned by for example, making it the result of the stuff they did in the film instead of pure chance - for example, call back on the things they did in each other's bodies, like the stitching on that girl's dress, getting up close and personal with Tessie...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 24, 2017

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Your Name was good. A few of the smaller plot details came across as a bit contrived.

I was pretty much the perfect audience for it though, because all I really knew going in was that people really liked it and it involved kids swapping bodies with each other (which is true, but that part of the movie is actually kind of a misdirection, it's the easily overlooked background stuff in those scenes that ends up mattering.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mitsuha's relationship with her father is probably the one plot thread that the movie could have definitely done a lot better. I can live with it because there are enough other relationships/stories that are done well enough to fill in for it but it is a glaring omission in an otherwise pretty tight and charming sci-fi adventure/romance.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Almost all the plot arcs go nowhere, the Mitsuha's father arc is just the most egregious one because it was set up so as to drive her entire characterization in the first half of the film.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mitsuha's arc felt more centered around her relationship with the town in general and her desire to get out of it IMO; the thread with her father was more an important setup/backstory to establish why things with her grandmother and the family situation were the way they were.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Mitsuha's arc felt more centered around her relationship with the town in general and her desire to get out of it IMO; the thread with her father was more an important setup/backstory to establish why things with her grandmother and the family situation were the way they were.

Her desire to get out of it is not exactly very coherent. For example she's clearly closely attached to her grandmother vs her dad in that conflict, she is clearly angry at her dad, she has also memorised the history of the town (including the fire that happened) and enjoys doing the braiding work, but she also resents being seen doing the spit thing and wants to go to Tokyo to go to a cafe. At the start of the story, her father as mayor is directly identified with the town, we're first introduced to him when we hear about the mayoral elections (edit: this is also the first thing that disrupts her idyllic life, them shutting off the radio to not hear about her dad). So yeah, my overwhelming impression is that her wanting to get out is driven basically by her relationship with her dad - that seems a lot more credible than well, the alternative reasoning of wanting to go to cafes.

Whether you connect the two plotlines or not, neither really goes anywhere. We never see her changing or acting on her feelings towards the town, she never sorts out the reason for the rocky relationship between her, her grandmother and her dad. It's *Taki* whose paths relate most to either the town or Mitsuha's family's backstory. So her arc is basically, 'she prefers Tokyo, she enjoys her time bodyswapped there, then the town is destroyed so she has to go to Tokyo'. That's a terribly passive arc.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 24, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Taki is the more active participant but I'd argue the entire premise of the movie is a vehicle for her to "act on her feelings towards the town", even if much of it is not something of her own volition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The only way she really addresses her feelings to do with the town is by eating out at the cafe a lot. Most of her actions while bodyswapped is trying to get with that coworker girl, which is another weird plotline that has nothing to do with her established motivation and then goes nowhere. She never even gets to break up with her, or to address the consequences of Taki breaking up with her.

stealth edit: Also I think they did a panty-shot right in the middle of the climactic sequence, like wtf

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 25, 2017

• Locked thread