Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powaqoatse posted:

actually youll find that tech companies arent profitable

also um investment banking????????????

investment banking is only made possible through the tech industry

tech companies are the apotheosis of capitalism because they reap tremendous profits from valueless activity while simultaneously exploiting and impoverishing millions all over the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The palm side of black people's hands aren't pigmented nearly as much if at all which may be news to some.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tech makes my job of keeping people loaded up on drugs that much easier

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Stymie posted:

investment banking is only made possible through the tech industry

tech companies are the apotheosis of capitalism because they reap tremendous profits from valueless activity while simultaneously exploiting and impoverishing millions all over the world

again, that's the financial sector

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lots of dummies getting stymied hard itt

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

emoji posted:

The palm side of black people's hands aren't pigmented nearly as much if at all which may be news to some.

thank you for setting us straight noted black person expert forums poster emoji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHynGQ9Vg30

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

Touch ID uses an ir sensor, it does not see skin color. stop quoting and responding to stymie, idiots.

i thought it was capacitive (which would still have the same effect of not seeing skin color)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

thank you for setting us straight noted black person expert forums poster emoji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHynGQ9Vg30

how do these things actually work; they'd have to basically be using red light because melanin doesnt absorb near ir

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

how do these things actually work; they'd have to basically be using red light because melanin doesnt absorb near ir

maybe really cheap sensors that spill light both in red and infrared?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

i thought it was capacitive (which would still have the same effect of not seeing skin color)

it has a capacitive ring to detect when there's a finger present. after that it's basically a camera that takes a picture of your finger.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can you trigger all the sinks and soap dispensers if you have have a big flame lighter?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blinkz0rz posted:

again, that's the financial sector

stop confusing cause with effect

the tech industry is the cause of the foxconn worker contemplating how far they have to leap off the roof to miss the netting

and the 13 year old coltan miner celebrating their birthday by hauling an extra load

and the palestinian looking through barbed wire at the semiconductor plant atop the hill where their family's olive trees used to grow

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
stymie your the one confusing cause and effect. the financial sector demanding exponential growth from every part of the economy is why the tech sector (and every other sector) is so lovely. if we actually smashed capitalism/patriarchy/white supremacy, the tech sector would have quit while they were ahead with 8088s and 640 KB of memory would be enough for everyone. all the useless "buy a new computer/phone with bigger numbers and shittier software"planned obsolescence while grinding laborers into dust in the tech industry is fueled by stockholding hellfuckers. please probe me and everyone else for engaging anime dog tits

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

the black dude isn't putting his hand low enough to trigger the sensor, which is something that constantly annoys me about those things, too

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

creationist believer posted:

stymie your the one confusing cause and effect. the financial sector demanding exponential growth from every part of the economy is why the tech sector (and every other sector) is so lovely. if we actually smashed capitalism/patriarchy/white supremacy, the tech sector would have quit while they were ahead with 8088s and 640 KB of memory would be enough for everyone. all the useless "buy a new computer/phone with bigger numbers and shittier software"planned obsolescence while grinding laborers into dust in the tech industry is fueled by stockholding hellfuckers. please probe me and everyone else for engaging anime dog tits

again, the cause is the fact that the tech industry demands that they be given vast profits for no useful work and they enable the financial sector to obfuscate the vast transfer of wealth through increasingly sophisticated technological means, all of which is extracted from the labor of millions around the world pressed into servitude to its endless rapaciousness

james damore wasn't fired because he intimidated his coworkers or had controversial opinions, he was fired because he drew too much attention to the inherent white supremacist nature of the tech industry and they needed to hush him up

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

creationist believer posted:

dude

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
don't respond to stymie
don't quote stymie
pretend stymie doesn't exist, like his family does

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
uh oh i feel another new av coming on

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
probate stymie quoters

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
lovely poster yells at dog tits

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

probate stymie quoters
too lenient

thats more like it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

uh oh i feel another new av coming on

good. your current one is terrible.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

infernal machines posted:

windows just loves to decide that displayport monitors with no speakers on them are actually your default audio device

Windwos will assume the speaker on a dualshock 4 is the deafault audio device when you first set it up

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The XKCD Larper posted:

Windwos will assume the speaker on a dualshock 4 is the deafault audio device when you first set it up

gonna try this when I get home today

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
yes the tech industry, along with everything else in America, has a race problem. it's a societal problem so it pretty much affects everything in this country

though the tech industry is especially affected by this

not exactly sure what the point is of pointing it out here though

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

akadajet posted:

good. your current one is terrible.

that's the classic stymie avatar, show some respect for the Japanese cartoon cat tits

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

rjmccall posted:

the black dude isn't putting his hand low enough to trigger the sensor, which is something that constantly annoys me about those things, too

wet a paper towel, stick it on the sensor, water stays on without having to perform Dr. Strange hand wavy spells

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

wet a paper towel, stick it on the sensor, water stays on without having to perform Dr. Strange hand wavy spells

?? ?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

how do you wet the towel if the faucet won't turn on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well, you're in the bathroom, i'm sure you'll think of something...

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Linux Rig posted:

yes the tech industry, along with everything else in America, has a race problem. it's a societal problem so it pretty much affects everything in this country

though the tech industry is especially affected by this

not exactly sure what the point is of pointing it out here though

because we still have yosposters denying the flaws in apple's tech that are directly attributable to white supremacy

you are correct that white supremacy is a problem in america, but the tech industry was literally created by nazis needing a better way to calculate how many people they killed and elevated by the us military finding more efficient ways to bomb cambodians

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

well, you're in the bathroom, i'm sure you'll think of something...

:piss:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

look out here comes my piss

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

in case you need more proof, here's this really racist meme that's popular in yospos

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

in case you need more proof, here's this really racist meme that's popular in yospos

it comes in two flavors
:piss: and :piaa:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stymie posted:

again, the cause is the fact that the tech industry demands that they be given vast profits for no useful work and they enable the financial sector to obfuscate the vast transfer of wealth through increasingly sophisticated technological means, all of which is extracted from the labor of millions around the world pressed into servitude to its endless rapaciousness

james damore wasn't fired because he intimidated his coworkers or had controversial opinions, he was fired because he drew too much attention to the inherent white supremacist nature of the tech industry and they needed to hush him up

:golfclap:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SO DEMANDING posted:

that's the classic stymie avatar, show some respect for the Japanese cartoon cat tits

The character with the anthropomorphized tits in the avatar of him-who-is-not-to-be-named is a dog (or at least a wolf). This was proven via file metadata.

To be honest, I would appreciate the av more if it had six pairs of swinging tits amidships rather than human tits placed in the human location.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

capital is the illness and the tech industry is one of many symptoms.
finance is basically pure capital
ergo the source problem is closer to finance than tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Stymie posted:

because we still have yosposters denying the flaws in apple's tech that are directly attributable to white supremacy

you are correct that white supremacy is a problem in america, but the tech industry was literally created by nazis needing a better way to calculate how many people they killed and elevated by the us military finding more efficient ways to bomb cambodians

and all of western civilization was initially built on the back of slaves and warlords so I guess the only moral thing to do now is kill yourself

• Locked thread