Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

HatfulOfHollow posted:

What idiot decided 5 points for a kill was a good idea? There's no reason to ever put yourself in any danger.

Instead of 5 points per kill I would award 5 points for the first kill with each subsequent kill award increasing by 5 thereafter.

code:
number of kills
1 2  3  4  5  6   7   8   9   10

current points awarded
5 10 15 20 25 30  35  40  45  50

revised points awarded
5 15 30 50 75 105 140 180 225 275
If the reward for kills increased then a player would have more incentive to seek out kills during the middle game instead of trying to just hide and outlast people because kills literally don't matter in the end. Make kills mean something.

I think this idea could be tweaked and combined with incentivizing staying alive by instead making EVERY kill scale across the server, not just for the individual who got it. Just spitballing but even just a simple scale of first kill being worth one point, second worth two, all the way up to the final chicken dinner kill being worth a whopping 99 points then you can have something like the 500 point to the victor on it as well. It'd be enough to incentivize fighting in the mid to late game while also still thumbing the scale towards whoever comes out on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Is there a prize pool breakdown anywhere? I just keep seeing total prizepool for each day.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Hamelekim posted:

Anything competitive game can be a sport. The issue is popularity and ensuring that the gameplay is what people are looking for.

Scoring is an issue, and it's also more heavily RNG-affected than other FPS/3rdPS competitive games.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
If you need convoluted scoring rules around your game because he most efficient way to win is boring to watch, maybe your game is just not suited for esports

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This doesn't fix the issue. It probably only exacerbates it. Once you're sitting on a few kills you would stop putting yourself in danger in order to hit top 10 to earn the multiplier.

This is a king of the hill/battle royale game. Final placement has to be huge. This is not CSGO. Why can't people understand that?

Rex-Goliath posted:

I think this idea could be tweaked and combined with incentivizing staying alive by instead making EVERY kill scale across the server, not just for the individual who got it. Just spitballing but even just a simple scale of first kill being worth one point, second worth two, all the way up to the final chicken dinner kill being worth a whopping 99 points then you can have something like the 500 point to the victor on it as well. It'd be enough to incentivize fighting in the mid to late game while also still thumbing the scale towards whoever comes out on top.

That's not bad although it would encourage people to still be very defensive at first because why risk giving away your position for 3 pts.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
you shouldnt have to have incentive's for killing people in a pubg tourney because the goal is just to be the last one standing. if you can do that without killing a single person more power to you (and tell me your secrets please). i don't care if that means more boring gameplay from a spectator standpoint, either.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah why are kills even being scored. Kills vs survival are two opposing concepts and if you are watching pubg for the gunfights well there are probably more interesting games for that.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is kind of a fundamental aspect of the game though - if you want to incentivize folks to get kills, it kinda has to do it within the game rules unless...you want a tournament for a game that's vaguely like pubg but not really because the incentives are all messed up. In the extreme, if the same person wins all 3 matches with 0 kills, they have to win the tournament if you want to call it a pubg tournament. Anything short of that would be like forcing the players to play dota and calling it a wc3 tournament.

You would still get placement points on top of the kill points. So, I'm not sure what the exact numbers are for top 10 but let's say you get 500 points for a chicken dinner. If someone gets 3 chicken dinners with 0 kills they still get 1500 points which is a huge number. In order to match that with just kills using the scale I provided someone would have to kill 15 people per round which would be over 1500 points. So the only thing you need to consider there is if you're OK with giving the tournament to the guy who kills 45 people over 3 rounds and places outside of the top 10 instead of the guy who actually won 3 games without getting any kills.

I feel like this game more than other is more about who makes the bigger impact on the game and I'd be OK with giving the win to the guy who made a 15% impact on player population over the guy who sleepwalks his way into the top 10.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You would still get placement points on top of the kill points. So, I'm not sure what the exact numbers are for top 10 but let's say you get 500 points for a chicken dinner. If someone gets 3 chicken dinners with 0 kills they still get 1500 points which is a huge number. In order to match that with just kills using the scale I provided someone would have to kill 15 people per round which would be over 1500 points. So the only thing you need to consider there is if you're OK with giving the tournament to the guy who kills 45 people over 3 rounds and places outside of the top 10 instead of the guy who actually won 3 games without getting any kills.

I feel like this game more than other is more about who makes the bigger impact on the game and I'd be OK with giving the win to the guy who made a 15% impact on player population over the guy who sleepwalks his way into the top 10.
This might be a fine game but it's not pubg. Pubg is about making the screen say "chicken dinner". Somehow I imagine getting 3 0-kill wins requires extremely thoughtful positioning and movement, don't trivialize those fundamental aspects of the game so that like, you get to see sweet kills.

I think 2 chicken dinners should guarantee victory. I'm happy to rewards kills over, say, getting 2nd place. Let some kill monster stand on the stage, but the winner has to be the guy the game says is the winner.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 24, 2017

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

causticBeet posted:

If you need convoluted scoring rules around your game because he most efficient way to win is boring to watch, maybe your game is just not suited for esports

You're probably right but have you considered the possibility of giving out points for sick bike flips?

But the game right now is the second most popular game on Twitch, so people must love watching this stuff, even without crazy scoring systems. If people can get a kick out of watching ONE guy run around for a half hour which is mostly downtime, it should mean that being able to follow 80-100 guys would make it an even more exciting experience.

The game just needs non-poo poo observer tools/camera person.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 24, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
ehhh if I were a tournament doer, I'd make every kill worth one point and then 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 for top five. Ties decided by whichever team had the most wins. IF they tied for wins I'd have them deathmatch irl on stage.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Parachute posted:

i don't care if that means more boring gameplay from a spectator standpoint, either.

Pro-tip the smart tournament organizers DO.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah i'm sure people are chomping at the bit to watch some dipshit swim underwater for thirty minutes instead of watching shroud drop school and kill nine people in forty seconds

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Making the tournament be in 3pp makes it also super boring. Nothing more exciting then watching two dickheads sit behind their trees for a few minutes. Then the guy who moves first gets shot..

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
If pubg becomes a regular competitive game I'm wondering how strategies will evolve. Like if everyone follows evermore's strategy there's going to be more fights in the blue and 50 people barreling into the 5th circle. The optimum play may then be to aggressively get the best position in the circle as soon as possible.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It's a problem because 10/14 players alive swimming in the water because they are unkillable there is a bad experience for everyone. Then you couple it with the bad map design, in this case the very barren beaches to make it even worse.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Hackan Slash posted:

If pubg becomes a regular competitive game I'm wondering how strategies will evolve. Like if everyone follows evermore's strategy there's going to be more fights in the blue and 50 people barreling into the 5th circle. The optimum play may then be to aggressively get the best position in the circle as soon as possible.

I usually stay on the fringes but last night I had a game where I finished 3rd mostly because I got an early good spot with tree and rock cover and got 7 lucky circles in a row forcing everyone to come to me. I just laid in the tall grass partially in a bush and would pop up when people ran right on top of me like Rambo in the mud. One dude was sniping people left and right with a kar and he ran right at me getting blasted with an S12 which I'm sure he didn't see coming. Skill goes a long way but there is definitely a lot to be said for position which in this game involves some luck.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
https://clips.twitch.tv/YawningCorrectWhaleTinyFace

ok i mean this is cool to watch and all but like did he win? because if he didn't what the gently caress am i even watching for?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

ok i mean this is cool to watch and all but like did he win? because if he didn't what the gently caress am i even watching for?

maybe step back from the computer and ask yourself that in a broader sense

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

like the only kill there that seemed like skill and not just that he was playing with mouth breathers was the iron sight lean kill from a slight distance. 5/6 were moron sitting ducks.

e: His match would have ended right there if the one guy who was shooting him wasn't blind and deaf.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
sorry, i meant to post a fourteen minute clip of some potato aim goon shooting at a stationary uaz with an ump and missing

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

stop saying potato, loll

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that is the first time i have typed the word 'potato' itt

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Looking forward to them ruining the game so it's more fun to watch.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't even think you need to change how the game is played. just make kills worth more points in their entirely out-of-game tournament system.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Having different rules for esports than the normal game isn't going to help viewership either.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

moush posted:

Having different rules for esports than the normal game isn't going to help viewership either.

Like disabling the redzone?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

making kills worth more points means that competitive becomes a completely different game from the one people actually play. there is no fixing this dumb esport its an abortion

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the 'game people actually play' is almost entirely divorced from what gamescom is displaying. the average pubg player is not spending the entire match healing in a rock or pretending to be Seaman

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Kills are worth points for rankings. It's part of the measure over multiple games. These tournaments are multiple games. If kills aren't worth anything it's not like the real game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Uh yeah when people play competitively it looks different because they play to win and don't screw around. This is true in every game. The game set a win condition, the fact that many players in pick up games ignore it doesn't mean that a proper competition should also.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Thanks to whoever I was playing with last night that recommended Reshade. I think it was RamenNoodles.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Uh yeah when people play competitively it looks different because they play to win and don't screw around. This is true in every game. The game set a win condition, the fact that many players in pick up games ignore it doesn't mean that a proper competition should also.

we're talking about making the game more enjoyable to spectate. if the game incentive kills more than it currently does, the only change is that people will go for more kills. players wouldn't suddenly not care about getting first place, they would just pursue different, more viewer-friendly avenues to that first place instead of poo poo like squatting in a concrete shack like a loving fallout npc or something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

we're talking about making the game more enjoyable to spectate. if the game incentive kills more than it currently does, the only change is that people will go for more kills. players wouldn't suddenly not care about getting first place, they would just pursue different, more viewer-friendly avenues to that first place instead of poo poo like squatting in a concrete shack like a loving fallout npc or something.
Right but....that makes it not pubg, the game you play when you purchase pubg and hit play game. It's like if you showed up to a dota and give a big bonus to the team with the most creep kills instead of who wins. It might be an interesting to watch a game that's like pubg but you need to get kills in addition to winning, but give it its own name because it's totally different.

I mean, I suppose they could change the base game to reward kills more. Make loot 10x more rare it would make killing a guy and taking their stuff way more important. Spectatability isn't all that important to me but I'd still try out that game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Right but....that makes it not pubg, the game you play when you purchase pubg and hit play game. It's like if you showed up to a dota and give a big bonus to the team with the most creep kills instead of who wins. It might be an interesting to watch a game that's like pubg but you need to get kills in addition to winning, but give it its own name because it's totally different.

I mean, I suppose they could change the base game to reward kills more. Make loot 10x more rare it would make killing a guy and taking their stuff way more important. Spectatability isn't all that important to me but I'd still try out that game.

I mean, does anyone really want to watch random dipshits hide in bathrooms for 30 minutes or swim out to sea? Like pubg is not a fun thing to watch when people are doing their best to win because it is more akin to hide and seek than a traditional shootmans game. Which is fine when you are playing and can decide if you want to play like that or not but for spectating it really seems abysmal.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you haven't really articulated how that 'wouldn't be pubg', though. the tournament points exist entirely outside of the gameplay. it's literally impossible for them to change the actual game, just how people engage with it in a competitive setting.

if a win was worth 500 points and a kill was worth twenty, or something, instead of five, the winner of yesterday's tournament was still going to be a guy who won a match, he just won it in a different way.

if you don't care about spectatability, why are you commenting on a tournament that exists solely for the purpose of being spectated?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DrNutt posted:

I mean, does anyone really want to watch random dipshits hide in bathrooms for 30 minutes or swim out to sea? Like pubg is not a fun thing to watch when people are doing their best to win because it is more akin to hide and seek than a traditional shootmans game. Which is fine when you are playing and can decide if you want to play like that or not but for spectating it really seems abysmal.
The conclusion I draw from this is yes, pubg is not a very good spectator game. Making up a new game that's kinda like pubg but it is more fun to watch is fine, proceeding to call it pubg is not.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

cosmicjim posted:

Kills are worth points for rankings. It's part of the measure over multiple games. These tournaments are multiple games. If kills aren't worth anything it's not like the real game.

The game currently awards points for kills and damage.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dota is not really a good comparison because it's team vs team with a single very obvious win condition. Minor RNG, but not extreme.

This game is you vs 100 vs the world with extreme RNG. Even if you are head and shoulders above the other players in every single aspect, you may die early due to a huge number of random factors. That does the happen in dota. The "better team" can lose but only if they make mistakes that result in them playing worse than their single opponent.

So it makes sense to alter the win condition, for two reasons, A) to make sure the person who displays the most skill end up on top the majority of the time and B) to make it entertaining to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Raygun's right. The scoring system is already exclusive to this competitive setting, wanting it tweaked is perfectly legitimate. I'd be opposed to anything other than the last person standing being virtually guaranteed the highest amount of points based on a single game, but that amount should be surpassable over the course of several games if you do really well in the kill department. That should be really hard, but the way it stands it's pretty much impossible. The #1 team of today's first game had the most kills of any team, 11, and were awarded 500 points for winning and only 44 for their kill tally. I'd say 110 points for the latter would be balanced pretty fairly (making winning worth 400 instead might help too).

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 24, 2017

• Locked thread