Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In the movie, yeah, but I don't really know how the in-movie shots may or may not line up with reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Youth Decay posted:

*pops out from behind Kessler screen* Did someone say Mid-Century Modern?

Let's see what's for sale in Ohio:

in conclusion, Ohio is cheap

These are masterpieces, thank you so much for posting them. But who the hell was rolling around with that kind of money in 1960s Ohio?

Also what on earth would you guys put in all those bedroom cabinets? I'm thinking of using the long skinny drawers to each hold a single blu-ray from the Fast and Furious franchise.

Drape Culture posted:

I have this tub, except my blue mosaic has gold on it.

This is way cooler

For real? What's it like? What's the rest of your house like?

Bad Munki posted:

This is literally Cameron's father's house from Ferris Bueller, right? I'm not going crazy?

Definitely the same vibe, but no, that one's really in the Chicago area:

Why That Ferris Bueller House is So Hard to Sell

Edit: gently caress Your Etc. Etc.

Alternate Joke: Oh no! Someone built a Prada Slut trap!

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 24, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Also what on earth would you guys put in all those bedroom cabinets? I'm thinking of using the long skinny drawers to each hold a single blu-ray from the Fast and Furious franchise.

If you lived in the same house for 30 years eventually all the storage would get full of stuff. Don't throw that out, it's still good, we can reuse that, everything comes back in style eventually.

Plus some stuff just used to take up more space. My grandpa had a whole wall of boxes full slides. Why have photo albums when you can have slides! :haw: I don't know how many hours we spent in that basement watching vacation slide shows as grandma and grandpa um'd and uh'd their way through remember the details of all the pictures. These days the dozens of boxes of slides would all fit on a couple CDs.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you lived in the same house for 30 years eventually all the storage would get full of stuff. Don't throw that out, it's still good, we can reuse that, everything comes back in style eventually.

Plus some stuff just used to take up more space. My grandpa had a whole wall of boxes full slides. Why have photo albums when you can have slides! :haw: I don't know how many hours we spent in that basement watching vacation slide shows as grandma and grandpa um'd and uh'd their way through remember the details of all the pictures. These days the dozens of boxes of slides would all fit on a couple CDs.

Slides are really neat though :3: My favorite thing about a photography class I took in college was getting the slides made up so we could look at them in class.

I just finished clicking through the first house, and while there are some really questionable tile decisions (what I thought was faux-brick linoleum at first, so bacon-red, paired with your standard seafoam glass subway tiles), it's such an appealingly warm house. I think what I love most about it is how it seems built for kids, much more than usual mansions. Take a look at that walkway going over the indoor pool and tell me that wouldn't have been the site of some epic super soaker battles.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Rumor has it the first movement of each piece is the most difficult.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

Rumor has it the first movement of each piece is the most difficult.

The angle of the mirror really makes it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
...Is that a gas mask on top of the piano?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Yes.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Discussion > DIY & Hobbies > Interior Design Thread: Is that a gas mask on top of the piano?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It'd be a little too "on the nose" to put it on top of the toilet, don't you think?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

In terms of flow it seems like it would make more sense to take out the wall between the kitchen and existing dining area, and extending the kitchen along the wall there. Then the area behind the arches could be used for your new bathroom or whatever. That would mean moving all your counters and cupboards though, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

This is exactly what a neighbour has done - (putting the bathroom in only a third or so of that area behind the arches). Thinking out loud, as long as I ensured I kept the electrical points on the front/back walls of the dining-area room then that change could happen at a later date with no impact to initially getting in there, couldn't it?

there wolf posted:

I'd think the extra light you'd get from knocking out the arches in the kitchen would be worth it. Go American and put in an island/breakfast bar, or just leave the cabinets since you don't need to move them to make room for a table. Also my folks bought a house with a bunch of yellow pine for the floors and trim; some rugs and new paint that contrasted with the wood more toned it all down a lot.

Yes, so knock down the arches and have a breakfast bar (leaving the dining table where it is), then depending on how it pans out - possibly knock through the kitchen into the dining area and spread it that way, re-converting some of the breakfast area to a bathroom.

For the living area I'm thinking of going with relatively neutral light greys or beige, and furniture in pine and white, patterened rugs in cream and dark grey. I'm really not sure what bold colours (if any!) would even fit.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Watch the creation of a lovely WTF room.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kHtP2

To be fair it looks well done. It's just awful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hahahaha, wow. I mean yeah it's awful, but in a way that is totally self-aware, which I think puts it firmly in the realm of "I did this only for myself, consequences be damned" so I guess good job, person, enjoy your thing, you earned it! Like, I don't think it's entirely fair to critique that thing from an interior design standpoint, as that's not the intent of the installation? Or something. v:shobon:v

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 24, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Indolent Bastard posted:

Watch the creation of a lovely WTF room.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kHtP2

To be fair it looks well done. It's just awful.

If it weren't the dining room, I wouldn't care at all. It looks exactly as intended and it's a great geeky backdrop for a gaming room. Hell, I'd argue it should be should bit bigger, if anything; it looks almost incomplete to the left of the cabinet.

But in the goddamned dining room? What the hell, man.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

Hahahaha, wow. I mean yeah it's awful, but in a way that is totally self-aware, which I think puts it firmly in the realm of "I did this only for myself, consequences be damned" so I guess good job, person, enjoy your thing, you earned it! Like, I don't think it's entirely fair to critique that thing from an interior design standpoint, as that's not the intent of the installation? Or something. v:shobon:v

I agree. It's ridiculous that grown-ups would want to do this to a room, but it's their house and if that's the lifestyle they want good for them. If they aren't going to be throwing any formal dinner parties they don't need a formal dining room.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
That room is the 4th Edition of rooms.

If you're going to have a dedicated D&D room, you may as well go all-in.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 24, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It would make more sense in a basement tho.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

But in the goddamned dining room? What the hell, man.

I didn't catch this part. Yeah that takes it back to nuts.

But like, if a person had a room dedicated to gaming (not gonna say I don't) then that'd be a perfect location for something crazy like that, go nuts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It was a really boring dining room.

You can't wear your wizard hat in a room like that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Agree re: basement. Like a basement rec room. Basically, if you're gonna do something crazy like that, you gotta do it in a room you don't have to see every loving day. You gotta be able to mentally put that installation away once in a while.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Facebook Aunt posted:

SA has ruined me. I can no longer look at a sunken tub without worrying about the state of the joists. :ohdear:

really wish we got to see the end of that saga. I was curious to see just how badly he had hosed up his house and what the properly engineered solution was, let alone whatever his dumbass "females" vision for it was.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm pretty sure that wizard wall room actually actively blocked a loving WINDOW to put in that monstrosity. I saw it on Imgur and was just floored by what a senseless use of resources that represented.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm pretty sure that wizard wall room actually actively blocked a loving WINDOW to put in that monstrosity. I saw it on Imgur and was just floored by what a senseless use of resources that represented.

The red tapestry thing is acting as a curtain, the window is still useable. It was just covered in plastic and tape while they were painting.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have seen hell...

https://boardandbrush.com/

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like this. :shobon:

The phone can go though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm one of those people who has never given a flying fig what people think of my hobbies and whatnot, and Ill be damned if I sculk off to some hidden basement or office room in my own house because people who visit me might think I'm a nerd. (I'm thinking of you mother)

When the kids were younger I converted my master bedroom upstairs into a living room with a sofa bed for me to sleep on and installed built in wardrobes for my clothes. Living room downstairs was converted into a play room, washable walls with white and black boards, vynl flooring, big table for crafts, moon sandpit and floor play area. When they got older it got converted back into a living room, with a craft table. When I sold the house it was simply a case of doing the old British classic of magnoliaing the living gently caress out of everything to fix any weirdness that remained.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

happy fall Y'ALL

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

learnincurve posted:

I'm one of those people who has never given a flying fig what people think of my hobbies and whatnot, and Ill be damned if I sculk off to some hidden basement or office room in my own house because people who visit me might think I'm a nerd. (I'm thinking of you mother)
:same:

I personally wouldn't put something like that in my theoretical house & think it looks tacky as hell, but I'm also not mortally offended by them putting it in a dining room they never use for formal dinners(:monocle:). And they made sure it'll be easy to take down if they want to sell the place(or if they just get sick of having a cheesy nerd portal in their dining room), so there's no hand-wringing about "what about their resale value??" either.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tacky as hell? Yes. Still think it's great, more power to them. They also explicitly mentioned it will be easy to remove when they move, so it probably won't crop up in this thread again when it shows up on Zillow.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Needs more wine and oxy

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hissssss...

There's a really great term called "font adolescence," which is when people first discover that print design is a thing and get excited and use way too many fonts in everything they make. Our entire culture is in a sort of Eternal September of font adolescence right now, and I don't know if it's ever going to stop.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

I like this. :shobon:

The phone can go though.

Replace it with a green Western Electric Model 554.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I... think that D&D room is great. I'd play D&D there.

Also, hello thread, I just finished reading through this whole thing because I'm moving into my own place for the first time and suddenly got very interested in interior design.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Replace it with a green Western Electric Model 554.

Should be a desk phone I think, a green LM Ericsson Dialog.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sensible obligatory reminder that you should be very careful when buying early plastic stuff, anything containing celluloid has a tendency to explode if knocked, dropped or hit . Bakelite was the solution to that problem, but you should buy named stuff like the above and not anything off brand as knock offs were a thing. :)

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Should be a desk phone I think, a green LM Ericsson Dialog.

Well, if you're going to go period correct, it'd have to be a Western Electric Model 500

Up until 1968, only AT&T supplied/leased phones could be hooked up to the telephone system, so that limits choice a bit.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

learnincurve posted:

Sensible obligatory reminder that you should be very careful when buying early plastic stuff, anything containing celluloid has a tendency to explode if knocked, dropped or hit . Bakelite was the solution to that problem, but you should buy named stuff like the above and not anything off brand as knock offs were a thing. :)

OTOH this sounds fun to buy and make it do an explode

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Probably come into this thread at the wrong point but I wonder what the issue is with tiled counter tops? Solely cleaning? I'm not about to do one but shower cubicle and little soap nook in tiles on horizontal surface makes me wonder if I'm about to make a mistake? I understand it's rude not to commit to the thread but I feel I might be able to personally offer some stuff up if not advised better.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Probably come into this thread at the wrong point but I wonder what the issue is with tiled counter tops? Solely cleaning? I'm not about to do one but shower cubicle and little soap nook in tiles on horizontal surface makes me wonder if I'm about to make a mistake? I understand it's rude not to commit to the thread but I feel I might be able to personally offer some stuff up if not advised better.

It's putting a textured surface where you prepare food. White grout + tomato sauce= orange grout forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's not just a food thing -- like you say, it's a pain in the rear end to clean in bathrooms too. You could minimize it by doing huge tiles.