Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
*bursts into thread like the Kool-Aid man Ed Balls*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyDjkPO8l0&t=2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cumshitter posted:

if theyre taxing the deposits thats insane, and yes that would be the result.

i assumed after reading the tweet that they just wouldnt allow a 401k contribution to lower your taxes on an individual paycheck. for exampel: a $2,000 pay check that contributes $200 to a 401K every pay cycle would be taxed for the full $2,000 rather than the $1,800 it would be currently.

I'm confident in my hazy knowledge of tax law here because I'm also confident that literally no way of handling something like this would be smart and not a disaster, so as long as I'm calling it stupid I'm at least half right

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fake news! I had one of those the other day; it's not as good as the blue kind. Neither are as good as Xyience, but I can't get those here :(

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

cumshitter posted:

if theyre taxing the deposits thats insane, and yes that would be the result.

i assumed after reading the tweet that they just wouldnt allow a 401k contribution to lower your taxes on an individual paycheck. for exampel: a $2,000 pay check that contributes $200 to a 401K every pay cycle would be taxed for the full $2,000 rather than the $1,800 it would be currently.

That's...that's the same as taxing the deposits. Exactly the same.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_dQ0KgXYk

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

big black coke joke here

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

That's...that's the same as taxing the deposits. Exactly the same.

depends on where you take the taxes out. if it comes out of your paycheck a full $200 still goes into the 401k. if its taxed inside the 401k then you lose funds specifically set aside for retirement investment.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I want everyone to know that when I say "guillotine" I am actually advocating the execution of human beings by Renaissance era decapitation devices right up until the moment someone actually kills another person with a real guillotine and then I will denounce that person and all violence as I ask the nation to come together and heel

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Can't believe a major disaster is about to hit the United States... and that his name is Donald Trump!! :cawg:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/900820317240774656

trump

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/lethal-injection/florida-plans-execute-mark-james-asay-experimental-injection-n795531

:florida:

quote:

For the first time in 19 months, Florida is set to execute a prisoner — a white man accused of racially motivated murder — using an untested lethal injection formula.

So far, the courts have turned down appeals by Mark James Asay, although one dissenting judge said the state had "jeopardized Asay’s fundamental constitutional rights and treated him as the proverbial guinea pig" by rushing to use an experimental cocktail.

Florida, like many other death penalty states, has struggled to find execution chemicals because capital punishment opponents have pressured pharmaceutical companies to stop selling the drugs the states relied on in the past.

Asay will be put to death with three drugs — the first of which, the short-acting sedative etomidate, has never been used for that purpose in the United States. It will be followed by a paralytic and then a form of a heart-stopping drug that has been used in an execution only by mistake.

So this is happening.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

but our heritage :(

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i'm starting to get different vibes with tax reform than i did with healthcare. it's so bad and so insanely awful that it becomes hilariously wacky as opposed to gruesome and bloody, though maybe that's only because the republican base actually gets to share in the suffering this time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the 401K thing would piss so many people off lol

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Monkey Fracas posted:

the 401K thing would piss so many people off lol

but republicans would blame the libs for it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I feel like it would be more humane to just bring back beheading at this point

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Knight posted:

I want everyone to know that when I say "guillotine" I am actually advocating the execution of human beings by Renaissance era decapitation devices right up until the moment someone actually kills another person with a real guillotine and then I will denounce that person and all violence as I ask the nation to come together and heel

son this is gun country

guillotine guns

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

probably a dumb question, but is there any kind of action taken against people running bots like that? if not, wouldn't they just immediately start a new one?

twitter actually has an incentive to not do anything about bots at all because it inflates their user numbers and makes their platform look more valuable

same reason they don't ban nazis and you get suspended for saying a cuss at a blue checkmark, the only ideas they have for making money involve making their platform as unattractive as possible to both future revenue sources and legitimate users

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

:getin:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/900784297103196160

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

The Glumslinger posted:

It would be more humane just to put a bullet in his head while he was knocked unconscious from a fist-full of opiates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
none of these guys will ever be as good as Running on Empty and they should just give up now

https://twitter.com/JerryTravone/status/502446073911443456

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

:chloe:

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

RIP Baloogan.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fun fact: that drug only induces conscious sedation and thus the prisoner will almost certainly be conscious and unable to react to his diaphragm suddenly not working

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the dragon of Budapest cannot be defeated by such oafs!

GGGOOORRRKKKAAAAA

http://www.latimes.com/politics/was...-htmlstory.html

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
re: 401K - note that if you have a HDHP you can contribute to both an HSA and an IRA. An HSA is in many ways fairly similar to an IRA, and the combined max amounts is almost as much as the 401K amount. However it's clear that making 401K funds not be pre-tax basically makes a 401K worthless.

On a different topic, if you're keeping track of the Texas hurricane freak-out, here's a tidbit: one of the evacuation areas is Refugio County, which isn't that close to the coast but since the whole area for miles and miles inland is basically a beach populated by horrible plants and long-legged sea birds and drug addicts it's still a bad place to be in a hurricane. So the tidbit is that in Texas "Refugio" (which means, of course, "refuge") is pronounced "Refurio".

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

it owns that the last two alt right randos trump retweeted turned out to be guys with video game youtube channels

Jefferson Beauregard Tutorials III

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

Joementum posted:

none of these guys will ever be as good as Running on Empty and they should just give up now

https://twitter.com/JerryTravone/status/502446073911443456

in 10-15 years there will be a huge spike in pancreatic cancers and it will be linked to excessive energy drink consumption.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

if I had a choice I would do that instead of lethal injection

whatever's really messy and violent looking

firing squad also works

we shouldn't get to pretend executions are humane

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

I did a thing posted:

in 10-15 years there will be a huge spike in pancreatic cancers and it will be linked to excessive energy drink consumption.

The pancreas is a waste and should be removed at birth

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Fun fact: that drug only induces conscious sedation and thus the prisoner will almost certainly be conscious and unable to react to his diaphragm suddenly not working

for american executions this is a feature, not a bug

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

I did a thing posted:

Wasn't there a recent study which said that energy drinks were basically a gateway drug to getting so coked up your nose falls off?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

glad that this man is drinking and reviewing battery acids so i dont have to

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Did people track down that mercedes and torch the gently caress out of it yet?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's literally no reason to experiment with sedatives that doesn't do the job they're saying it does

We've already perfected painless and "humane" execution via suffocation by inert gas

Just go back to that

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

The pancreas is a waste and should be removed at birth

you're thinking of the appendix i think

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

zegermans posted:

Are we forgetting the Juicero, a very expensive product that literally doesn't do anything

50% of Americans are worth literally less than a juicero

https://twitter.com/mattkbh/status/894549512987045888

• Locked thread