Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

HidaO-Win posted:

Went 5-0 at the Kiku Matsuri, as a TO that event made me sad, they hadn't properly considered the impact of the majority of games going to time. Sadly I had to beat Spooky in the last round.

:cry:

Seriously though, I had no business being at the big boy table. My first two matches were drops, I only played 3 out of my five games.

It was really cool meeting you and congratulations! :)

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't mind buying three cores as I could have far more expensive hobbies (like skydiving or guns) but jeez there's no reason for such a long delay between Gencon release and wide release, and I'm sure Asmodee will still have huge supply issues just like every other game they release.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Msrp on a booster box of magic is 144 baka gaijin, most stores, especially online, sell them at a heavy discount if not slightly above cost

Thank you for the clarification.

Fungah! posted:

"they could be gouging me harder" isnt a great argument against how its lovely to get gouged

This isn't gouging. If they suddenly spiked the price of a core set to $60 or above, than I would say that is price gouging. Their distribution method is a balance of value, logistics, and profitability.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

alg posted:

I don't mind buying three cores as I could have far more expensive hobbies (like skydiving or guns) but jeez there's no reason for such a long delay between Gencon release and wide release, and I'm sure Asmodee will still have huge supply issues just like every other game they release.

Took me 6 months after release to manage to get some Netrunner cores. That is why I caved in and bought 3 L5R Cores from Gencon. Likely still going to have to wait till release to find much local play but at least I know I will be ready for Worlds once it rolls around.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Apparently the Getting Started manual that usually comes with the core is not included, you just have to access that online.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Max posted:

Apparently the Getting Started manual that usually comes with the core is not included, you just have to access that online.

You get the Learn to Play book but not a copy of the Rules Reference. They are going to do it as a living document this time round so that it cuts down on how much errata is needed.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

LordNat posted:

You get the Learn to Play book but not a copy of the Rules Reference. They are going to do it as a living document this time round so that it cuts down on how much errata is needed.

Oh duh, wrong way around.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

Preorder your play set through Team Covenant for a mere $300usd! :suicide:

I would unironically consider doing that because I like destiny and have been conditioned into poor spending habits from magic, but see, it's not actually a play set, it's half of one for all the important cads. So what I'm saying is, they can go gently caress themselves.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/24/tears-of-amaterasu/
First pack reveal.

Some crazy stuff in there. This is going to be an interesting ride.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Isawa Kaede isn't the only Phoenix character to add an element to a ring when attacking, but is the only one to say "resolve each of that ring's effects."

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bottom Liner posted:

I said the same to a friend and he went on a long rant about how WotC has made standard format poo poo and modern is the only good one to play now because they want to push the card sales of their premium sets (where boosters are like $12 a pack). loving nuts that so many people are so hog wild about that type of model still. That game has its hooks deep man.

Your friend's totally off-base. The masters sets are 10 per pack, true, but they're also generally a limited print run and tend to sell out super fast and/or have very high demand. If anything, WotC has been trying to push people towards standard.

always be closing posted:

I prefer the LCG model to CCG. Only problem is getting organized play to take off, imho.

Magic is the best game, so it doesn't have this problem.

Magic has by far the best, most established organized play but I don't even know if I'd put it in the top 5 LCG/CCGs I've played from a mechanics/gameplay perspective. And from a flavor perspective, as someone mentioned it's pretty much purely abstracted now. It feels incredibly sterile most of the time.

PJOmega posted:

One thing that keeps magic running is that people can and do have 10+ decks assembled or partially assembled at any given time. Doing that with an LCG is either very difficult or very expensive.
Ehh, it has nothing to do with price. For the cost of my three modern decks I could have 6 complete playsets of every GoT card. I also have 8 EDH decks, each of which runs between $300-700 bucks.

What keeps Magic running is it's rules (which are solid) and the fact that it's already been around nearly 20 years so there's tons of player base. The main reason I got back into it was that unlike pretty much every other game I was playing at the time, I could go to pretty much any store and find a decent magic crowd.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Off L5R chat for a minute, I got a bunch of Conquest for crazy cheap at Gen Con last week, including 3 cores and 5 packs for ~$30. The packs I got were Descendants of Isha, Treat Beyond, Zogwart's Curse, The Scourge, Gift of the Ethereals. Going to try to build a handful of decks to keep on the game shelf is all; any packs I should seek out for any must-have content?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

alg posted:

I had hoped when FFG joined up with Asmodee they would've fixed some of their supply and distribution issues but lol. It's odd how they seem to consistently underrate their demand. I'm sure it helps them stay profitable as they don't get stuck printing a bunch of product they can't sell, but it does seem to also work to slow the growth for a lot of their games. I mean Arkham has been out for awhile now and seems to have great reviews from everyone who plays it but there's still issues in getting some of the stuff.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
So for the posters who got to play the game, how did you like it compares to agot or mtg? Do we believe in the game for at least the next year to provide one day a week of op?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The frequency of op here will greatly depend on the meta that grows on this site. Might be too soon to have a new thread until the core set is released/widely available or it will die the same death of every LCG thread besides Netrunner

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

So for the posters who got to play the game, how did you like it compares to agot or mtg? Do we believe in the game for at least the next year to provide one day a week of op?

It's a really well designed game, yeah. Fixes some of the issues of GoT like massive board states that get really hard to figure out the best move with the fate mechanic. Has location based attacks like Conquest. The community driven deck building requirements will be interesting and hopefully well balanced. I think it really comes down to theme, GoT took off because it hit at peak time for public interest in the franchise, whereas this is riding on the CCG fanbase and FFG fanboys, but it needs to reach beyond that to be big.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Anyone playing L5R LCG on Tabletop Simulator on Steam? Was going to buy that, but didn't want to spend money if there's no people playing

LordNat
May 16, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

Anyone playing L5R LCG on Tabletop Simulator on Steam? Was going to buy that, but didn't want to spend money if there's no people playing

There are a bunch of people. The L5R Discord is filled with people looking for games most the day.
The main community for the game is the Discord right now too so you might just want to jump in anyways.

https://discord.gg/G339H6e

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Thanks. I joined that group

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Magic is a really good game. In the abstract I can see the appeal it has over some of the LCGs. Netrunner has not managed to be as good for as long (I think it was on par with Magic a few years ago, but it's had some issues in recent years). The thing is, if Netrunner, GoT, or L5R gets bad, you can stop playing and be out under $1,000. For Magic, unless you got in at the right time and spent money well, you'll be out thousands of dollars if you every tried to play competitive standard for a couple years. If you aren't into competitive play, I think Magic is probably just as viable as and of FFGs LCGs cost wise. You can buy a box with some friends when a new expansion comes out and get a lot of play out of it without spending more than you would for an LCG. The real difference is for competitive play. If you want to play competitively the LCG model is wildly better for you. You won't win a lot of money, but you wouldn't win a lot of money playing Magic either. The people who do are a vanishingly small portion of the player-base and most have been in the game for a long time.

As to L5R vs AGOT or Magic - L5R as it is, is a very interesting game. It feels like a better version of GoT in that is uses a similar combat system but is a bit more refined. The really interesting element of the game is resource management - how long do you pay to keep characters around for is a deceptively complicated question. I think you can definitely get a solid year out of the game. We'll see how well it's balanced once people are playing with 3 cores.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm hearing conflicting things about L5R. Some are saying they added in a bit too many fiddly systems that makes the game go on too long, but others are saying that with full 3 core decks everything works much better and games can end in 3-4 rounds. I hope that's the case, as a refined and faster playing GoT sounds much better than a plodding, methodical long game (which agoT already does really well).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm hearing conflicting things about L5R. Some are saying they added in a bit too many fiddly systems that makes the game go on too long, but others are saying that with full 3 core decks everything works much better and games can end in 3-4 rounds. I hope that's the case, as a refined and faster playing GoT sounds much better than a plodding, methodical long game (which agoT already does really well).

Really? My experience with aGoT was the opposite. I found GoT games were often decided by round 2/3 even if they tended to last till 6 or later. I stopped playing around the time Valar came out so did that shift the meta into playing more slowly because of the threat of the board wipe?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PaybackJack posted:

Really? My experience with aGoT was the opposite. I found GoT games were often decided by round 2/3 even if they tended to last till 6 or later. I stopped playing around the time Valar came out so did that shift the meta into playing more slowly because of the threat of the board wipe?

It varies by deck type since there are some that prefer to stall you out and win through inevitability and attrition, but I'd say your average game never gets through the entire plot deck (so less than 7 rounds).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

I said the same to a friend and he went on a long rant about how WotC has made standard format poo poo and modern is the only good one to play now because they want to push the card sales of their premium sets (where boosters are like $12 a pack). loving nuts that so many people are so hog wild about that type of model still. That game has its hooks deep man.

I mean the guy is dumb, they do those sets once a year, it's hardly a major chunk of their income for the year compared to standard

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I've heard the "fiddly" complaint about L5R and I just don't get it. I'd understand if people were saying that the interactions of the boardstate require both tactical (within the turn) and strategic (within the game) thinking and that's tough initially. However after 3-5 games in you'll have internalised all the ring effects and you'll start to figure out when each is important to shoot for and when. The thing is, at the 700 player tournament the majority of games were over by turns 3-4. It's just that a turn in the game can easily be 10-20 minutes, particularly when you are learning.

It's the most euro L/CCG I've ever played, the decisions you make decisively matter even if initially it doesn't look like they do. If all someone proffers in complaint is "fiddly" with no further elaboration, well my impression is probably that the game is too complex for them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Interested in L5R if anyone wants

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sadeviant

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Deviant posted:

Interested in L5R if anyone wants

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sadeviant

Added you but I don't have table top simulator, I'll grab it next week after I get paid.

I did however pick up the single Core my buddy brought me back from GenCon and having had a few days to play around with the cards, even with 3 cores worth of proxies the decks feel very limited. With only 10 influence to spend, getting a playset of a good card is pretty much all you can do. I guess they wanted to keep the factions more separate but boy does it feel limting when your deck building options are already limited by the card pool for a single clan. It's going to take a lot of expansion in the game for faction decks to feel different from one another. Which, with respect to Mantis and Spider players, is going to really suck if they add another clan in the first deluxe.

I'm also thinking they should have gone with a deluxe right out of the gate too.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Got to play a couple games of L5R yesterday (borrowed a friend's Unicorn deck). I definitely see where the "fiddly" complaints are coming from: there are a bunch of complicated decisions to make all the time and a lot of different resources/systems to juggle which never really cohere into a unified whole, and I felt my intuition from other card games (MtG, ANR, AGOT, Hearthstone) did not translate at all. My initial impression was that there's maybe 1 subsystem too many, but by the end of the end of the night that feeling was no where near as strong.

In terms of actual game play, I felt like I was constantly a fate/honor/tempo too short to do what I wanted (this is a good feeling imo), and--even though I was playing against people with a bit more familiarity with the game--matches felt satisfyingly back-and-forth once I got the hang of things. Getting ahead on one axis seemed to always set you back along a different axis, which is a feature of basically all my favorite board/card games and really encouraging to see.

Overall, the game feels like it's a lot harder to pick up than other dude-basher games and has perhaps too many moving parts (the amount of bookkeeping is sort of a pain in the rear end), but the mechanics seem very solid with decent strategic and tactical depth, the games I played were fun, and the components/art are very nice even though I could not care less about the story. It's no ANR or eurogame, but I think it's basically about as good as you can expect from this genre (lcg/ccg dude basher), and it should be pretty fun for the next couple years until FFG kills it with poorly playtested cards and no OP/marketing support.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 29, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Added you but I don't have table top simulator, I'll grab it next week after I get paid.

I did however pick up the single Core my buddy brought me back from GenCon and having had a few days to play around with the cards, even with 3 cores worth of proxies the decks feel very limited. With only 10 influence to spend, getting a playset of a good card is pretty much all you can do. I guess they wanted to keep the factions more separate but boy does it feel limting when your deck building options are already limited by the card pool for a single clan. It's going to take a lot of expansion in the game for faction decks to feel different from one another. Which, with respect to Mantis and Spider players, is going to really suck if they add another clan in the first deluxe.

I'm also thinking they should have gone with a deluxe right out of the gate too.

This is why FFG starts previews for expansions before the game is even out.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah they've really gone heavy into limiting cross-faction cards in all their recent games. It helps a ton with balancing, but it makes the games a bit slow to get off the ground I've always thought. With Netrunner and AGoT 2.0 it wasn't as bad imo because Netrunner had fewer factions initially and things were typically cheaper in influence, while AGoT you could banner to essentially play 2 houses. You feel a big pinch with L5R. Also I don't expect the first deluxe to introduce a new faction...

This was also kinda the issue I think Star Wars LCG (r.i.p. :( ) had initially that really stunted it's growth-the pod system made everything way too samey to start with and your build was typically just take everything from your faction + a neutral. And I think rather than a deluxe out the gate, I'd like to see a very aggressive initial cycle release, if not a full dump right up front. Or something to get in an influx of variety without necessarily just making the core set huge.

Static Equilibrium posted:

Overall, the game feels like it's a lot harder to pick up than other dude-basher games and has perhaps too many moving parts (the amount of bookkeeping is sort of a pain in the rear end), but the mechanics seem very solid with decent strategic and tactical depth, the games I played were fun, and the components/art are very nice even though I could not care less about the story. It's no ANR or eurogame, but I think it's basically about as good as you can expect from this genre (lcg/ccg dude basher), and it should be pretty fun for the next couple years until FFG kills it with poorly playtested cards and no OP/marketing support.
I'm really surprised people are saying it's fiddly, part of my issue was that it seemed too simple/streamlined. They've basically took all sort of resource/economy development out of the game entirely. It's funny you mention eurogames since I think it's actually extremely similar in feel to a eurogame with so much being abstracted. Like you seem really hung up on the fact there's characters? I've never heard of a "dude basher" genre before. Isn't netrunner just a dude basher as well, only your dudes are your breakers into ICE?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Did they finally end the SW LCG?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
IIRC they're still printing it, but went from sticking to original trilogy + oldschool extended universe poo poo to milking the new movies and tv series.

However, where I live the scene is completely dead for over a year :(

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yeah, I don't find L5R fiddly at all, especially compared to the old game.

The tempo was pretty hard to judge. It definitely wasn't easy to see who was worth keeping around and having a lot of expensive events as well makes it tough to see where to spend your fate.

alansmithee posted:

Star Wars LCG (r.i.p. :( )

Not dead, just mostly forgotten, though that seems to be the case with a lot of their older lines these days.

Lichtenstein posted:

IIRC they're still printing it, but went from sticking to original trilogy + oldschool extended universe poo poo to milking the new movies and tv series.

However, where I live the scene is completely dead for over a year :(

This new extended universe stuff has been pretty cool though. The current cycle is a mix of Rogue One stuff alongside things from the comic book series; like Dr.Aphra.

It's not dead worldwide but Destiny definitely took some of the player base; one of the major sites just straight flipped and went to covering Destiny.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 29, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yeah I don't think it's officially dead, but I've not heard anything about it in my area for a couple years now. Just never seemed to pick up steam. And with Destiny now I'm not sure how long they'll want to support two star wars card games (although I guess they do have like 20 star wars mini games).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Star Wars:LCG is really just one of the first victims of FFG's horrible lack of communication with it's community. People were openly saying the game was dead years ago on the boards when there had been months without any new product information and nobody was bothering to correct them. Customers were messaging them and getting no reply; it became clear that nobody was actually looking at the community to see what people thought about the game, and when asked it if was dead or was going out of print the answer was "We'll keep printing as long as people keep buying." but by that point the damage had been done and now everyone just sees the game as a horse that's just sitting in the barn waiting to be taken to the glue factory.

Honestly I kind of feel like Netrunner is going that way as well. I don't hear as much buzz about the game and the year of bad prize support and imbalanced meta seems to have driven that community off a bit as well.

I know aGoT2e fans are all pissed that FFG hosed up their gencon tournament something fierce too so hopefully this is a wake up call for them to get their poo poo together and actually start working with their fan communities regarding their games.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I know aGoT2e fans are all pissed that FFG hosed up their gencon tournament something fierce too so hopefully this is a wake up call for them to get their poo poo together and actually start working with their fan communities regarding their games.

I amazes me that people are still surprised by FFG running crap events. I have been playing FFG games for 7~ years now (Netrunner release) and I don't remember a single year where Gencon and Worlds was not just a huge mess.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

LordNat posted:

I amazes me that people are still surprised by FFG running crap events. I have been playing FFG games for 7~ years now (Netrunner release) and I don't remember a single year where Gencon and Worlds was not just a huge mess.

I guess a lot of people, myself included, hoped that the Asmodee merger combined with some of their distribution moves showed that they were really looking to make their organized play scene more serious.

The past two years haven't shown any indication that they've gotten more competent in this area.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Unfortunately, L5R people are going to find out that FFG OP is p bad. There isn't enough communication between OP and development. Volunteer efforts aren't enough in some metas.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

alansmithee posted:

I'm really surprised people are saying it's fiddly, part of my issue was that it seemed too simple/streamlined. They've basically took all sort of resource/economy development out of the game entirely. It's funny you mention eurogames since I think it's actually extremely similar in feel to a eurogame with so much being abstracted. Like you seem really hung up on the fact there's characters? I've never heard of a "dude basher" genre before. Isn't netrunner just a dude basher as well, only your dudes are your breakers into ICE?

I feel like there's an overarching similarity of gameplay between the mechanics of AGOT/MtG/L5R/Hearthstone/Conquest/Eternal/&c that isn't really present in ANR (and, for that matter, some other card games like Yomi, DTR to some extent, RFTG, and the various deckbuilding games out there) that "dude-basher" captures nicely; I didn't really mean it to be pejorative (I think these games are fun and interesting, certainly), I just think those games form a pretty cohesive category and it makes sense to group and contrast them against each other.

In terms of the feeling of fiddly-ness, I think it's a combination of (a) there being a bunch of different game zones and things you need to track (some of which have no physical way of doing so and must be remembered!), and (b) the different subsystems and resources never seem to gel together in a satisfying way (or at least they didn't for me after ~3-4 hours of play) like you see in good eurogames. I like the game quite a bit, but the mechanics have a Rube Goldberg machine feel that I can't quite shake. Of course, I didn't play the original CCG so maybe that's the point of reference I'm missing.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to try Star Wars LCG, I also have a copy of Call of Cthulu card game but no one plays that either lol.