Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

this thread is turning out to be one Hell of a honeypot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WampaLord posted:

lol nice meltdown

:byodood: "You said you wanted me to die after I said I wanted all of you to die!"

I was referencing and mocking a post ZDR made in C-SPAM, stupid

Serf
May 5, 2011

zen death robot posted:

also lol that you even remembered some poo poo I said as a troll back from February

"for you, the day zdr trolled you was the most important day of your life. but for me... it was tuesday."

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Wow that's really from back in february lmao

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

zen death robot posted:

I'm sorry your bad posting made me wish you'd end up fighting and dying in Iran

too bad this isn't games or you may of eaten a probation for wishing death upon another person

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lol @ alt liters whining about authoritarianism

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Call Me Charlie posted:

You realize you're the one who brought up the fact I voted for Trump and you did that as a way to discredit my argument, right?

the guy who's not a nazi doesn't want to get lumped in with them by a group of users that want to bash the fash, color me shocked

Then perhaps stop defending them, you simp

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guys why are you limping me in with Nazis all I did was stand up for them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cmc is that part of the racist giving tree where the tree gets salt in it's rear end about being called a nazi

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hi, trump tutelage, pls post all the cases of innocent white liberal women getting beaten up thanks to ironic Trump paraphernalia, tia.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Hi, trump tutelage, pls post all the cases of innocent white liberal women getting beaten up thanks to ironic Trump paraphernalia, tia.

building a collage u sik fuk?

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

I cant believe neo-lf still gets nazi supporters who will try to defend their smoothbrain decisions l m b o

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

the trump tutelage posted:

Guys everyone knows who we're talking about when we talk about punching Nazis *sucker punches a woman wearing a parody MAGA hat*

why are you so invested in making the idea of 'punching nazis' into an imaginary liscence for violence based on specious reasoning? you're concern trolling against the idea of punching nazis, relentlessly.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

TTT checks the shadows in his parking garage for Antifa whenever he wears a polo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

TTT checks the shadows in his parking garage for Antifa whenever he wears a polo

https://twitter.com/URageULose/status/900559775766896640

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

hmm wow i've reconsidered my entire "punch nazis" worldview because of this one misunderstanding that a "lib" unironically retweeted from Ant Man's timeline

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

hmm wow i've reconsidered my entire "punch nazis" worldview because of this one misunderstanding that a "lib" unironically retweeted from Ant Man's timeline

The Arc of ~Progress~ is Long, but it bends towards Justice. I'm proud of you.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The problem featured in that video is a lack of discipline, not a willingness to punch Nazis.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess as long as people are getting cold cocked it doesn't really matter who, we are all a bit nazi right.

The problem with gamergate was its really clear an obvious who the anti-camp were for the most part. On the pro side there were 2 camps initially, the women hating 8chan scum and the people who actually cared about what was going on at games journalism websites. Because the anti side had a head start and a committed group of editors of all the major websites to push their narrative it was almost impossible for the second pro group to get their message out. Que Breitbart smelling blood in the water and whispering with their forked tounge 'we will help you say your piece' and turning what could have been an important change in the industry into a online war that dragged a lot of young men into the arms of the alt right.

That and the FBI report documenting that the majority of the harrassment and the worst of it coming from people not ideologically involved on either side.

quote:

This report was actually released as part of a Freedom of Information Act request last year, although at that point, it was difficult to verify whether the recipients had modified its contents. Since “Gamergate” was never really an organized movement, none of the people mentioned in the report are “members” of it, and some incidents predate the controversy, like a bomb threat against Anita Sarkeesian at the 2014 Game Developers Conference. But if anything, this emphasizes that Gamergate per se was one facet of a larger culture war — which it’s now been almost completely absorbed into.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/27/14412594/fbi-gamergate-harassment-threat-investigation-records-release

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

why are you so invested in making the idea of 'punching nazis' into an imaginary liscence for violence based on specious reasoning? you're concern trolling against the idea of punching nazis, relentlessly.

i take a longer view of who was being called a nazi and against whom violence was being incited prior to charlottesville and im v. concerned about normalizing individual, subjective, and politically motivated violence as a substitute for nonviolent politicking, especially when the ostensible object of the violence is a chimera with no agreed-upon or consistent definition from person to person.

basically, in this context, and even if punching nazis is good in the abstract, i don't believe the genie can be put back in the bottle.

also sa is where i go to work through ideas and try to figure out what i actually believe and why, and this topic is interesting even if im de facto defending nazis in some people's eyes.

ok

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It's less about worrying I'm going to catch a punch because I accidentally watched a Milo video and more worrying about a casual embrace of violence against an ill-defined enemy with no victory conditions. I reject the idea that "punch a nazi" refers specifically to Klanners and neonazis (or that the violence will only target them if it becomes commonplace); the insult is too ubiquitously used against people (perceived to be) on the right, generally.

I'm also worried about an escalation of violence by people who feel besieged. Lots of mopey angry young men in the states who might radicalize the way the Charlottesville guy did.

unlimited shrimp has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Aug 25, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

zen death robot posted:

I honestly don't understand where the fear of getting punched for being a Nazi by mistake is coming from.

Did you miss the guy who was knocked out yesterday at a protest in Boston for being white, bald and having tattoos looking like a nazi? Or the ever-expanding definition of nazi in this thread?

https://www.facebook.com/fusionmedianetwork/videos/1977213872564058/
(the link early in the thread has the actual punch but it's from a lovely source)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lowtax recently posted that he has been called nazi a few times

just, wait for it, imagine you are not a nazi

then someone calls you a nazi

ok so this is online, so what

well apparently a bunch of those online people are going outside to go to rallies for their first time and their batting average on spotting nazis is somewhere less than 100%

maybe they punch you, maybe they don't, maybe this country has a history of mob mentality scares and trying to figure out who the bad guy is

Sure, there are nazis, but the amount of screaming about them makes you think they are some how the largest bad group around

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map
I really wish the SPLC had member info instead of just hate groups

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it sure would be a shame if any of those people innocently showing up and matching in fascist rallies were mistaken for nazis

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The definition of a Nazi has to be "expanded" in order to clarify the genuine targets of defensive violence, because the obvious reaction to a position that "punching Nazis is good and should be done in public whenever the chance arises" is to pretend that you're not a Nazi while still advocating everything that Nazis stand for.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How many of these "Nazis" currently exist in the United States?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's impossible to just take a headcount. You have to wait for them to show up in public and make it clear what they believe. Like, say, at a rally.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Byolante posted:

I guess as long as people are getting cold cocked it doesn't really matter who, we are all a bit nazi right.

The problem with gamergate was its really clear an obvious who the anti-camp were for the most part. On the pro side there were 2 camps initially, the women hating 8chan scum and the people who actually cared about what was going on at games journalism websites. Because the anti side had a head start and a committed group of editors of all the major websites to push their narrative it was almost impossible for the second pro group to get their message out. Que Breitbart smelling blood in the water and whispering with their forked tounge 'we will help you say your piece' and turning what could have been an important change in the industry into a online war that dragged a lot of young men into the arms of the alt right.

That and the FBI report documenting that the majority of the harrassment and the worst of it coming from people not ideologically involved on either side.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/27/14412594/fbi-gamergate-harassment-threat-investigation-records-release

so is this also the anti-anti-gamergate thread now too, in addition to the anti-anti-trump thread and the anti-anti-nazi thread

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Badger of Basra posted:

so is this also the anti-anti-gamergate thread now too, in addition to the anti-anti-trump thread and the anti-anti-nazi thread

Where do you think this new surge in alt-right/white nationalists and antifa is coming from exactly. A group of previously non-political young people who get radicalised by actors from outside their community coming in and driving a culture war is a pretty good suggestion of where.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i see the "useful idiot" brigade is redoubling their efforts after majorly self owning ln

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Condemning punching nazis because you might get a fellow traveller is like calling off the invasion of Normandy because the beaches are guarded by pressganged Georgians.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

the trump tutelage posted:

It's less about worrying I'm going to catch a punch because I accidentally watched a Milo video and more worrying about a casual embrace of violence against an ill-defined enemy with no victory conditions. I reject the idea that "punch a nazi" refers specifically to Klanners and neonazis (or that the violence will only target them if it becomes commonplace); the insult is too ubiquitously used against people (perceived to be) on the right, generally.

I'm also worried about an escalation of violence by people who feel besieged. Lots of mopey angry young men in the states who might radicalize the way the Charlottesville guy did.
There are people at heated, stressful demonstrations who are not Nazis who've gotten punched. I think that is a bad thing. But anti-fascism goes back awhile and the historical record doesn't show anti-fascists turning on new targets once the local hate groups get snuffed out (unlike hate groups and their enemies). The anti-fascists tend to either go dark themselves or move into other forms of political activity.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

There are people at heated, stressful demonstrations who are not Nazis who've gotten punched. I think that is a bad thing. But anti-fascism goes back awhile and the historical record doesn't show anti-fascists turning on new targets once the local hate groups get snuffed out (unlike hate groups and their enemies). The anti-fascists tend to either go dark themselves or move into other forms of political activity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Army_Faction

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The definition of a Nazi has to be "expanded" in order to clarify the genuine targets of defensive violence, because the obvious reaction to a position that "punching Nazis is good and should be done in public whenever the chance arises" is to pretend that you're not a Nazi while still advocating everything that Nazis stand for.

Then define that poo poo better and establish boundaries.

This can be like drone bombers at a wedding doing a good job because the bodies were old enough to be technically serving in a military.

Advocating the nullification of the 2nd amendment is some tankie poo poo that retards on the internet have latched onto because the hate feels good*.

*when you can morally justify it

Much less the monkey's paw of what if you actually get it. Like, holy poo poo do you want a republican government from country to federal deciding what is dangerous speech and what is not?

blast me for slippery slope arguments but antifa used them first

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That is a weird one but these were the kids of the World War II generation in Germany, right? And it was all wrapped up in the 60s counter-culture. It's not like anti-fascists that started fighting Nazi skinheads in the 70s and 80s shifted into waging a war against the state.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh i noticed that the guy who got punched was dressed up like a skinhead lol somehow i dont think were getting the full story from miles tails jeong

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

like wear a bandana my dood lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's not a dumb argument.

You and Crane Fist's point was that what happened in Charlottesville was an unprecedented event and a sign of the resurgence of white supremacists in America. I linked to an event in 2001 (literally the first result on Google when you do a search from 1996-2004) where 70 nazis from around the country met up in York and one of them even ran over counterprotesters. The arguments being made today are the same arguments that were being made 15+ years ago.

Nazis doing demonstrations isn't a sign of the fourth reich rising. It's the same bullshit they've been doing for the past 35 years. Just in slightly higher numbers.
So, I agree with this. There was a "March Against Israel" in 2002 that brought in hundreds of Neo-Nazis to Washington, D.C. and organized by the National Alliance in 2002. There is hardly any record of this. And I think things were probably way worse in the 50s and 60s with the Klan assassinations and bombings. The Greensboro massacre in 1979...

Talk to people in the punk scene where I live in the 80s and 90s and it was like a low-boil war going on. People still have their Nazi-stomping boots buried in their closets.

I think things have gotten pretty bad recently but I think there should be some historical perspective. And the record tends to show the anti-fascists' tactics can succeed. I think this new neo-Nazi movement might actually start going into decline now after Charlottesville, though I can't be sure, and it will pop up again as it always does.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Condemning punching nazis because you might get a fellow traveller is like calling off the invasion of Normandy because the beaches are guarded by pressganged Georgians.

What happened to that antifa guy was more like shooting a member of your own army because his name sounded vaguely German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

like wear a bandana my dood lol

But what happens with the Nazis start wearing bandana's :ohdear:

• Locked thread