Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MacheteZombie posted:

Right now though, I just want Flash to get made.

You misspelled Green Lantern but, yeah.

I think DC should just toss the idea of a shared universe out the window and go loving nuts with Shazam, Flash, Plastic Man, Superman, Batman... A good Green Lantern movie faces the same challenges as making a good FF movie though in a lot of ways.

X-O posted:

James Cameron apparently was not that impressed with Wonder Woman.

I mean, saying Wonder Woman is a step backwards is what's a bit misguided I think.

"Look how much better I did it" is all I get out of that quote. Admittedly, I haven't seen WW but I saw Avatar and, though I liked it, I don't see how we need 4 more movies of it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

X-O posted:

I mean, saying Wonder Woman is a step backwards is what's a bit misguided I think.

Wonder Woman is absolutely a step backwards in terms of the best James Cameron action movie heroines.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Maybe a bit hollow when you left your wife for that actress too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

You misspelled Green Lantern but, yeah.

I think DC should just toss the idea of a shared universe out the window and go loving nuts with Shazam, Flash, Plastic Man, Superman, Batman... A good Green Lantern movie faces the same challenges as making a good FF movie though in a lot of ways.

I think Marvel should ditch the universe concept as well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I think Marvel should ditch the universe concept as well.

Definitely. The more they do it the worse it gets it seems. Their best stuff has been things like Iron Man and Daredevil where they didn't have to worry about that poo poo. But I think for Marvel, at least, that ship has sailed and it's gonna get worse before it's gets better as it gets more convoluted.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can't believe I'm saying this but having Harley Quinn be the emotionally abusive one would be a refreshing change.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

A good Green Lantern movie faces the same challenges as making a good FF movie though in a lot of ways.

It's a shame about the last attempt. I feel like Martin Campbell could direct a very good superhero movie (in fact, he already has, twice, and it was GoldenEye and The Mask of Zorro), though obviously Green Lantern wasn't it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Wonder Woman is absolutely a step backwards in terms of the best James Cameron action movie heroines.

James Cameron heroines are very much a type, muscle bound gun gripping badasses that are almost uniformly shallowly characterized.

Just because they might not be as pretty as Gal Gadot, doesn't make them more deep or substantial or less hackney. Cameron is not the director who should feel superior about being nuanced when it comes to women.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Pft, i dunno the heroine in Piranha II: The Spawning is pretty legit

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Shageletic posted:

Cameron is not the director who should feel superior about being nuanced when it comes to women.

The Jamie Lee Curtis stripper scene in True Lies says hello.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wonder Woman definitely suffers for not having Michael Biehn juggling Gal Gadot's bare breasts for the camera.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Shageletic posted:

James Cameron heroines are very much a type, muscle bound gun gripping badasses that are almost uniformly shallowly characterized.

Just because they might not be as pretty as Gal Gadot, doesn't make them more deep or substantial or less hackney. Cameron is not the director who should feel superior about being nuanced when it comes to women.

Diana's character in Wonder Woman is that of a naive child who happens to be indestructible. Don't get me wrong, I love my large adult daughter, but I will take Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor as hackneyed archetype protagonists any day.

Lobok posted:

Wonder Woman definitely suffers for not having Michael Biehn juggling Gal Gadot's bare breasts for the camera.

Hey man, don't make light of the scene where Kyle Reese loses his virginity.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Here is a Radical Concept: Wonder Woman and Sarah Connor are Both Good, and trying to pigeonhole female action protagonists into one gated archetype or another is the bad thing.

...that said, Cameron calling WW an objectified icon is super crazy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Diana's character in Wonder Woman is that of a naive child who happens to be indestructible. Don't get me wrong, I love my large adult daughter, but I will take Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor as hackneyed archetype protagonists any day.

Cameron didn't create Ripley.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

James Cameron sure likes talking about himself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He should get Patty Jenkins in a room and explain to her about strong women.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Cameron didn't create Ripley.

I know, she was a better character in Aliens however.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pattys' response to Cameron on twitter was great
https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/900917648015405062

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Brav-frickin-o

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

X-O posted:

James Cameron knows what he's talking about when it comes to Superhero movies. After all he made that excellent Spider-man fil...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like there's an alternate universe where James Cameron decided to make The Phantom with Billy Zane instead of Titanic.

(Probably the same one as the one where Quentin Tarantino made The Shadow.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like there's an alternate universe where James Cameron decided to make The Phantom with Billy Zane instead of Titanic.

(Probably the same one as the one where Quentin Tarantino made The Shadow.)

There would also be the alternate Universe where Sam Rami and Liam Neeson made the Shadow instead of Darkman.

And another one where Orson Wells made Batman instead of it being a really well done April Fools Gag.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

There would also be the alternate Universe where Sam Rami and Liam Neeson made the Shadow instead of Darkman.

Raimi tried to get Batman, the Shadow and the Phantom, and made Darkman when he couldn't. I believe he wanted Bruce Campbell to play Westlake but whatever studio it was asked him to use Neeson instead because he was a more bankable star or something like that (which is a wee bit strange to me, because I think Darkman was only Neeson's second or third decent-sized Hollywood role after The Mission and that Dirty Harry movie where Clint Eastwood shoots the guy with the giant harpoon gun).

I don't know, was Neeson seen as a hot property in Hollywood in the late 80s / early 90s that people wanted to push as the next big leading man?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Raimi tried to get Batman, the Shadow and the Phantom, and made Darkman when he couldn't. I believe he wanted Bruce Campbell to play Westlake but whatever studio it was asked him to use Neeson instead because he was a more bankable star or something like that (which is a wee bit strange to me, because I think Darkman was only Neeson's second or third decent-sized Hollywood role after The Mission and that Dirty Harry movie where Clint Eastwood shoots the guy with the giant harpoon gun).

I don't know, was Neeson seen as a hot property in Hollywood in the late 80s / early 90s that people wanted to push as the next big leading man?

He was in Excalibre which was 81. Not the biggest role (Gabriel Bryne probably was more well known for it.)

I think the Hollywood system saw him as being up and coming.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I understand that Albert Broccoli really went off Pierce Brosnan in his final years (i.e. between casting him in 1986, the whole Remington Steel renewal kerfuffle and GoldenEye actually getting out in 1995) and had switched over to trying to get Neeson for Bond instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which universe did Cameron make Aquaman in?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Entourage universe

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Which universe did Cameron make Aquaman in?

Starring Arnie, no doubt.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So my kid's old enough now and last night we watched Spiderman.

He loving loved it. I hadn't seen it in years and was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it. Holds up fairly well. There's a lot of corniness, plot holes and cheese but it all still seemed to fit tonally. I didn't even mind the goblin costume. Maybe it was just seeing it through the fresh eyes of a 6 year old that helped me to not view it through my normal cynical lens but it was fun.

We're gonna give Batman 89 a whirl this weekend and Superman 78 if I can find it at a library. Maybe Spiderman 2 as well since he liked this one so much. I haven't seen 89 Batman in forever. Is there anything in it that's too much for a 6 year old? Only thing I remember is the joy buzzer scene but he's seen worse. He was a little scared of Goblin so I'm slightly concerned about Joker.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The innuendo Joker uses against Vicki Vale will probably go over his head. You might have to explain who Prince is and why he is doing the soundtrack to a Batman movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Only in so much as you would need to explain why he is not doing the soundtrack for all subsequent Batman films.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

The innuendo Joker uses against Vicki Vale will probably go over his head. You might have to explain who Prince is and why he is doing the soundtrack to a Batman movie.

He knows who Prince is. He loves him. Mommy and Daddy are huge fans and met at a Prince concert.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Only in so much as you would need to explain why he is not doing the soundtrack for all subsequent Batman films.

He had to return to his castle, being the only US royal family member was tough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

He knows who Prince is. He loves him. Mommy and Daddy are huge fans and met at a Prince concert.

Best parents ever.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Which concert out of curiosity? I saw him during his Musicology tour 2004 and he was pretty tame (i mean it was a helluva show don't get me wrong). My gma saw him in the 80s and he climbed into tub and dumped water all over himself while performing, would have loved to see that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is tenuous but I know we're all Sam Neill fans 'round 'ere and also he's technically in the MCU so

https://twitter.com/TwoPaddocks/status/898638473510363136

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Which concert out of curiosity? I saw him during his Musicology tour 2004 and he was pretty tame (i mean it was a helluva show don't get me wrong). My gma saw him in the 80s and he climbed into tub and dumped water all over himself while performing, would have loved to see that.

One Nite Alone Tour in 2002. We're divorced now but we had a good run.

Prince had been tame for a while. He became a Jehova's Witness sometime in the late 90's and dialed down the raunch almost entirely. I'm old so I saw the Purple Rain and Lovesexy shows back when it was almost all sex. The Musicology tour was the best I've ever seen him though (aside from the small aftershows I saw) mainly because his band had gotten so much better and he mixed up set list so well.

anyhow...Prince derail.

There's a documentary floating around somewhere that talks a lot about how Prince came to do the Batman music but I can't find it. Mainly it was just "WB is doing this movie. WB had Prince under contract" but I never thought the music fit that well. Elfman's work is superior I think.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

This is tenuous but I know we're all Sam Neill fans 'round 'ere and also he's technically in the MCU so

https://twitter.com/TwoPaddocks/status/898638473510363136

his twitter owns. one of my favs.

BiggerBoat posted:

One Nite Alone Tour in 2002. We're divorced now but we had a good run.

Prince had been tame for a while. He became a Jehova's Witness sometime in the late 90's and dialed down the raunch almost entirely. I'm old so I saw the Purple Rain and Lovesexy shows back when it was almost all sex. The Musicology tour was the best I've ever seen him though (aside from the small aftershows I saw) mainly because his band had gotten so much better and he mixed up set list so well.

anyhow...Prince derail.

There's a documentary floating around somewhere that talks a lot about how Prince came to do the Batman music but I can't find it. Mainly it was just "WB is doing this movie. WB had Prince under contract" but I never thought the music fit that well. Elfman's work is superior I think.

Cool, I wish I had seen 80s Prince play live. I'll take the consolation prize of him playing with a much more technically sound band though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Appreciate I'm derailing again but I recently saw the footage from the screen test Sam Neill did in the 80s on one of the many, many occasions when Roger Moore was going to quit, and even though it's only 20 seconds it made me feel disappointed he never got the chance.

Still, we'll always have Reilly: Ace of Spies. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Where the poo poo did Norman get that mask in Spider-Man anyway

• Locked thread