Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Krinkle posted:

A Paladin has 18 charisma and is standing next to a friend and they both get fireballed. The paladin's faith protects his friend and his friend's dex saving throw gets a +4 bonus to it. Why does the Paladin get that, also, though? It seems kind of masturbatory for a guy to say lord protect these weak and fragile creatures and me too sir me most of all. I might not even be standing next to anyone and I still get the bonus?

What about death saving throws? It just says any saving throw. If I'm standing next to someone and saying "come on buddy fight this, you can do it" his death saving throws get +4 to them? If I could somehow do death saving throws while conscious I would get +4 to them but if i'm unconscious I would not? Isn't that when I would need my god's favor the most? God loses the signal? You're my chosen special boy but if you get conked on the head get hosed you're on your own?

The mechanics of this are giving me some serious theological implications to ponder

Welcome to D&D, where thinking too hard about any mechanic makes its wheels fall off and the engine burst into flames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"You must be conscious to grant this bonus." that refers to the Paladin being conscious. As long as they're up their dead friends are making some easy death saving throws. But if the paladin goes down god forgets about them all.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Anyway I keep forgetting to add +4 to all my saving throws is there any way on roll20 to, like, bold or highlight some text inside your character sheet so it sticks out to you like you could do in real life with a sheet of paper? Even if it requires goofy chrome apps?

I feel like forgetting to add your protection bonus has some kind of footprints in the sand allegory where god's footprints wander off to some food trucks for a while.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darwinism posted:

Welcome to D&D, where thinking too hard about any mechanic makes its wheels fall off and the engine burst into flames

This is not a mechanic thing. This is questioning the lore behind it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Charisma is force of personality, so I think the implication is that the paladin's bonuses are coming from his faith rather than a specific deity. So he's not praying for the benefit, he's just So Good the forces of evil is weaker against him. Little messy when it comes to wisdom vs charisma saving throws as far as I remember, but it's close enough to consistent.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Anyway I keep forgetting to add +4 to all my saving throws is there any way on roll20 to, like, bold or highlight some text inside your character sheet so it sticks out to you like you could do in real life with a sheet of paper? Even if it requires goofy chrome apps?

I feel like forgetting to add your protection bonus has some kind of footprints in the sand allegory where god's footprints wander off to some food trucks for a while.

Depends on which sheet you're using, but all of them should have a way to just flat-out add a bonus to your saving throws, and the shaped OGL sheet has a toggle for modifiers like that.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The Paladin's sheer force of will keeps you going, and they certainly believe in themself as much as they believe in you.

Unrelatedly, got an instrument of the bards, do the spells require concentration and what level are they cast at?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cassa posted:

Unrelatedly, got an instrument of the bards, do the spells require concentration and what level are they cast at?

Page 141 of the DM's Guide has the rules for spells cast from magic items. Basically, unless stated otherwise, the spell is always cast at the minimum level and requires the user to concentrate if the spell requires concentration.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
How good would Curse of Strahd be as a starter campaign for a pretty inexperienced DM (me) and a mostly inexperienced group? I love the gothic horror feel of an evil vampire, and everyone else seems to like the basic idea of it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

tweet my meat posted:

How good would Curse of Strahd be as a starter campaign for a pretty inexperienced DM (me) and a mostly inexperienced group? I love the gothic horror feel of an evil vampire, and everyone else seems to like the basic idea of it.

Our goon group is playing through it now and we've been having a good time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I'm about to 1v1 the Abbott in CoS. How hosed am i? I'm a level 7monk/1 rogue with a magic weapon

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

tweet my meat posted:

I'm running strahd right now and I think the biggest strength right now is adjustable it is, and, despite the players being able to go wherever, there's always a few solid hooks pulling them around. I haven't been in a spot where the players felt lost or I had to interject to get them moving again. Also, the tarroka reading really sets a some good long term play-off stuff, gives incentive for the players to work against strahd, and can set up some neat set pieces the players wouldn't otherwise see. The starter adventure takes place in a haunted mansion and can really help set the tone while establishing barovia. Strahds also a really great villain that can show up anywhere at anytime, making him stand out from the usual faire. Plus by the time you get to his castle it's pretty much DND Castlevania which is the best.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RC Cola posted:

I'm about to 1v1 the Abbott in CoS. How hosed am i? I'm a level 7monk/1 rogue with a magic weapon

If this is the NPC I'm thinking of, my group of level three PCs (there were four or five) managed to kill it without anyone else dying.

Granted, the GM was very inexperienced and wasn't running the fight efficiently at all. You're probably hosed.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

tweet my meat posted:

It's great. My DM altered some stuff. Made the lich vecna trying to regain godhood. Argynvost decided to join me and made my naginata sentient /magical and is asking for my help.
The DM had another black dragon kill him that he asked me to kill. Minor things, but pretty cool.

Also I'm hoping I can land some stuns on him and win easily. We shall see.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Is Curse of Stroud just a "walk 10-20' then get attacked by ghosts/ethereals/walls/whatever you can perception check"? Because gently caress me.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

doctor 7 posted:

Is Curse of Stroud just a "walk 10-20' then get attacked by ghosts/ethereals/walls/whatever you can perception check"? Because gently caress me.

It's more Castlevania 2 than 1.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Also how well is Curse of Strahd going to work with a powergamey player who always rolls lawful good paladin. Is he gonna be just steamrolling over everything since undead and evil seems to be a pretty common theme? Is there anything I can do to mitigate this without gimping him too badly?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tweet my meat posted:

Also how well is Curse of Strahd going to work with a powergamey player who always rolls lawful good paladin. Is he gonna be just steamrolling over everything since undead and evil seems to be a pretty common theme? Is there anything I can do to mitigate this without gimping him too badly?

It's highly recommended you bring a Good Paladin or Cleric. As some items only work with them. And while they will be useful there are some stuff that will cause them problems as well.

Also remember Strahd is a hit and runner.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 25, 2017

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

tweet my meat posted:

Keep the long rests to a minimum and it should force him to play conservatively. CoS is my first campaign I ran out of a book, second one I've done as a DM. Read the entire thing at least once and be ready to omit some things (Amber Temple).

Gealar
May 2, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also remember Strahd is a hit and runner.

Strahd was probably my favorite bad guy to DM. I enjoyed him because as described in the book he constantly is involved. Watching their moves, taunting them, occasionally delivering a smack down, and gloating about how much better he is than them.
The whole campaign is pretty good, but what really shined is strahd messing with the PCs.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Trying to organize my first game of DnD with some friends, I am brand new and so is everyone else, I suspect it to be disastrous from a "good campaign" perspective but fun from a "fun with good friends" perspective. Are there any cool and good definitive guides for "wtf do I do as a DM".

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Knifegrab posted:

Trying to organize my first game of DnD with some friends, I am brand new and so is everyone else, I suspect it to be disastrous from a "good campaign" perspective but fun from a "fun with good friends" perspective. Are there any cool and good definitive guides for "wtf do I do as a DM".

Come to the GM advice thread, your one-stop shop for good GM advice! Even lurking helps a lot in picking up tips, suggestions, and ideas! There's already a bunch of guides and thread-segments noted in the OP, but feel free to post if you have specific concerns.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150535

One extremely important note: DO NOT over-plan. You cannot anticipate every situation, and if you try to do so, you'll most likely end up overriding player ideas and suggestions that could highly enrich your game. Setting up dungeons and environments is great, and making new NPCs even better, but anything more than a broad strokes plot or theme isn't necessary for your first time (some would say any time)- try to develop it as you go on, not at the start.

In short, improv is key.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Yeah I'm just starting a module and the instructions-for-what-happens told me what to do if X and Y are dead, or if one is in prison or one isn't, or if the party completely cooperates and there's no issue whatsoever. It did not tell me what to do if they frogmarch them outside the city gates, raise the drawbridge, and taunt them like the frenchmen from The Holy Grail movie from the parapets.

I wrote, SO MUCH dialog, for what I assumed would happen, and it all went out the window immediately. It's fine, though, planning for the obvious thing at the very least gets you in the headspace of these characters so you can imagine how they'd react when your difficult players don't do that.

https://twitter.com/Pettyartist/status/900496555098202112

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

...wrote dialog? Do you mean that you tried to plan out a decision tree for what an NPC would say if a PC said this or that?

e: That came out snarky and I didn't mean it to. I feel for you if that's what you were trying to do because it's one of those high effort prep things that seems like a super great idea until you try it. I'm sure lots of us have been there.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 26, 2017

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Some people plan out dialogue?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Usually just once, I guess.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I can see planning some dialog, like exposition monologues or some specific phrases you want the NPCs to drop.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

writing out dialog trees is a bad idea of course

but I think it can be good to do some improv exercises to get into the mindset of your NPCs, or to practice their tone, vocal affect and mannerisms while you're driving around in your car or in the shower or whatever
same general idea, less limiting.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 26, 2017

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Trying to plan answers for types of expected questions isn't the worst. But that's more setting up character motivations really.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I did improv growing up so finally its relevant (before you ask, no I was never good at it).

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Posting from my game as a player. DM has run extremely obtuse investigation role play encounters for 3 sessions. 2 combats and both have cast Hold Person that I fail on an 11 or lower, and sat out 3 turns.

Also our Wizard has to be handheld through what dice are what every single session and how her only ever used prepared spells do every single session, bleh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Krinkle at least your players should be more careful and willing to listen when they meet the Giant characters. I find players are more respectful and fearful of things that are 3 or 4 times their size.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The NPCs were going to make a very deliberate, custom built to pull on their very specific heartstrings, pitch to the party. I think a pitch deserves a speech. And the only characterization I was given for one of the NPCs is how he has unrequited love for another so I wrote four or five things for him to passionately yell out across the moat and have the one inside, deadpan, mention another HR dispute, but that don't work no more when they're both outside getting taunted from the parapets.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Krinkle posted:

And the only characterization I was given for one of the NPCs is how he has unrequited love for another so I wrote four or five things for him to passionately yell out across the moat and have the one inside, deadpan, mention another HR dispute, but that don't work no more when they're both outside getting taunted from the parapets.
Write this down and recycle it for a later session with two other NPCs

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I have found it's often worth having a couple lines written down for important NPCs on their first meeting with the party - not even a conversation, really, but things they might say that serve double-duty as reminders to me of how they talk and what their motivations are.

For instance, I might have a guy with a line "Yeah, that could kill everyone in the town, but that's not really my problem, innit?" If it doesn't come up in the discussion as-written, not a big deal, since it still can remind me of the dialect ("innit", slightly more backwoodsy, versus "is it") and the fact that this particular guy is self-serving (or, perhaps, pretending to be).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here's a somewhat interesting Survey. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dd-survey

It's trying to gauge interest for lots of things.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 26, 2017

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

D&D animated TV show? Yeah no thanks at all.

Viking setting, eh? Alright, I'm interested.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Cool. Used the comment box to say I'd never buy another D&D product as long as Mearls continued to work on it and/or they failed to repudiate their association and protection of Zak S and RPGPundit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Were not supposed to talk about that stuff anymore.

doctor 7 posted:

D&D animated TV show? Yeah no thanks at all.

Viking setting, eh? Alright, I'm interested.

I think a TV series could be interesting.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think a TV series could be interesting.

An animated TV series could potentially be good, where LA D&D stuff... well, we all know how that ends up.

I'd give my firstborn for a Fell's Five TV series.