Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Sooooo I learned something today. If you're in QM and everyone on the enemy team leaves, the match ends. I did not know this, and apparently neither did anyone else on my team. We had a good laugh over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

biznatchio posted:

And yet Zeratul's sitting at 44% winrate and they didn't buff him, Sonya's Wrath of the Berserker enjoys a huge pick rate and win rate advantage and Leap hasn't been adjusted to make it competitive, and the talent selection button to choose Hammer's BFG might as well be a "I want to lose the video game" button; and yet none of those have been addressed so it looks like this broken clock sure also doesn't match up with the devs' own internal data a lot, weird. Or maybe win rates aren't the only factor in their design decisions. It's almost like you can cherry pick specific anecdotes to support whatever narrative you want to push!

This feels like a weak argument. Like yeah, duh, there's always going to be stuff out of whack and underpowered heroes and talents, but the point is that when Blizzard does flat nerf or buff stuff it's almost always consonant with Hotslogs winrates. If they straight up nerf Tychus or Zeratul or buff Nazeebo maybe you'll have a point.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

biznatchio posted:

And yet Zeratul's sitting at 44% winrate and they didn't buff him, Sonya's Wrath of the Berserker enjoys a huge pick rate and win rate advantage and Leap hasn't been adjusted to make it competitive, and the talent selection button to choose Hammer's BFG might as well be a "I want to lose the video game" button; and yet none of those have been addressed so it looks like this broken clock sure also doesn't match up with the devs' own internal data a lot, weird. Or maybe win rates aren't the only factor in their design decisions. It's almost like you can cherry pick specific anecdotes to support whatever narrative you want to push!
You're being intentionally dense here. What was implied was the inaccuracy and uselessness of hotslogs data. Nobody ever claimed that balancing decisions were made solely off of average winrate and implying that I said that because apparently you have an axe to grind is extremely dishonest.

It would be unsurprising to me if eventually all of the highest winrate characters in hotslogs were the least useful in competitive play, and vice-versa.

The examples I gave were ones were the changes where the devs specifically cited high win rates, numbers that hotslogs also happened to have.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
The point didn't seem to be that the devs are literally using HotsLogs for balancing purposes, but rather that the site maintains a fairly significant amount of uploads and is probably still (despite recent spikes of unpopularity due to the malware concerns) somewhat representative of whatever internal system blizz uses to track that same info and make their judgements off of.

Pretending like it's a completely irrelevant, useless tool just because it's slightly less popular is bizarre. If the malware concerns or supporting the creator bother you, don't use it. It was never going to be 100% accurate but it's always been a fairly useful and informative tool, even if it shouldn't be anyone's sole resource for the game.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

If the implication is that Hotslogs matches Blizzard's internal data collection and can predict their decision-making, then that claim has to be reconciled with the balance changes that Blizzard inexplicably doesn't make despite the data, as well as the ones they do make that appear to contradict the data. If the conclusion is that Blizzard doesn't rely solely on winrates to make balancing decisions, then Hotslogs is as useless as critics say it is.

Toady fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 24, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Toady posted:

If the implication is that Hotslogs matches Blizzard's internal data collection and can predict their decision-making, then that claim has to be reconciled with the balance changes that Blizzard inexplicably doesn't make despite the data, as well as the ones they do make that appear to contradict the data. If the conclusion is that Blizzard doesn't rely solely on winrates to make balancing decisions, then Hotslogs is as useless as critics say it is.
Yes because blizzard doesn't exclusively use winrate when balancing, winrate has no effect on their balancing decisions and nobody rational could have seen these Xul or Butcher changes coming.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Hotslogs is probably within about 1% of the true win rate across the board for any given hero with a 95% confidence interval. They get a shitload of samples. It would be nice to be able to slice the data by player MMR as well, though.

But regardless of how accurate or inaccurate the Hotslogs data are, balance decisions are not only predicated by win rate. Blizzard probably has the data to see how well The Butcher does in situations where they intend him to be at a disadvantage- ie no synergy from his team and/or lots of counter heroes on the other team, and can trim outliers from the data set by disregarding games where people repetitively disconnect or get reported AFK or intentionally feeding.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 24, 2017

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

No Wave posted:

Yes because blizzard doesn't exclusively use winrate when balancing, winrate has no effect on their balancing decisions and nobody rational could have seen these Xul or Butcher changes coming.

I don't recall anyone saying winrates have no effect. The argument is that if Blizzard's decisions may or may not consider winrates to varying degrees, and they not only make changes not predicted by the data but also don't always make changes that are suggested by the data, then Hotslogs is as useless as people say it is beyond being an indicator of certain top-level trends. This can be interesting to look at, but it's not an objective indicator of the game's overall balance or a reliable predictor.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Toady posted:

Nobody said winrates have no effect on their decisions. That's not the argument. If Blizzard's decisions may or may not consider winrates to varying degrees, and they not only make changes not predicted by the data but also don't always make changes that are suggested by the data, then Hotslogs is as useless as people say it is beyond being an indicator of certain top-level trends. This can be interesting to look at, but it's not an objective indicator of the game's overall balance or a reliable predictor.
So because Blizzard doesn't ALWAYS balance EXCLUSIVELY by winrate, hotslogs is useless. Got it, good way to use numbers.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Toady posted:

I don't recall anyone saying winrates have no effect. The argument is that if Blizzard's decisions may or may not consider winrates to varying degrees, and they not only make changes not predicted by the data but also don't always make changes that are suggested by the data, then Hotslogs is as useless as people say it is beyond being an indicator of certain top-level trends. This can be interesting to look at, but it's not an objective indicator of the game's overall balance or a reliable predictor.

Was anyone claiming that HOTSLOGS was valuable because it...predicted Blizz's balancing changes? People use it to track their own stats and see what heroes/talents are most powerful. There's every indication the HOTSLOGS data is roughly accurate.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

No Wave posted:

So because Blizzard doesn't ALWAYS balance EXCLUSIVELY by winrate, hotslogs is useless. Got it, good way to use numbers.

It's useless in the way you apparently want to use it, as a reliable predictor of balance changes.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

porfiria posted:

Was anyone claiming that HOTSLOGS was valuable because it...predicted Blizz's balancing changes?

Scroll up.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
oh gently caress shut upppppppppp

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Toady posted:

It's useless in the way you apparently want to use it, as a reliable predictor of balance changes.
Nice, a claim I never made. If you're going to come in halfway through a conversation at least read the context of my posts before imputing statements to me.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Toady posted:

Scroll up.

As far as I can tell the only claim was that straight nerfs and buffs almost always landed on strong/weak heroes per Hotslogs, and so Hotslogs is probably reflective of actual winrates. Which is true.

Also, you said Hotslogs "is as useless as people say it is beyond being an indicator of certain top-level trends." I guess you're saying that the site's sample is biased toward higher level play? Which is probably true but I don't think that means it's "useless." I don't even see how those thoughts are connected.

There was a guy on here a few weeks ago who said Hotslogs' data on Tychus, for example, was only a couple of points from Blizzard's internal numbers for what that's worth.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Toshimo posted:

I, for one, could do without any sexy lady Zagara skins.

I want a robo Zagara skin.

Then again I want robo everything. I will spend all the money on this gameif they one day do a Greymane skin where he's a suspiciously Voltron looking robot and then transforms into a robot lion.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If the HotS balance team operates anything like the Overwatch balance team then just because something is showing outlying numbers doesn't mean they're going to put a rush job on nerfing/buffing it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I want a robo Zagara skin.

Then again I want robo everything. I will spend all the money on this gameif they one day do a Greymane skin where he's a suspiciously Voltron looking robot and then transforms into a robot lion.
I'm convinced that if Chen got a skin that wouldn't make him a stupid panda he'd see more play at least in QP. Like a mech version that looks like a t rex and guzzles gasoline (and turned into 3 velociraptors for sef)

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Toshimo posted:

I, for one, could do without any sexy lady Zagara skins.

Sexy Zag'z is best Zag'z

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Henker posted:

Kel'thuzad clearly likes surrounding himself with muscular women with amazing abs.

Wait... do you not?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

No Wave posted:

I'm convinced that if Chen got a skin that wouldn't make him a stupid panda he'd see more play at least in QP. Like a mech version that looks like a t rex and guzzles gasoline (and turned into 3 velociraptors for sef)

Except people play Li Li all the time, so...

Maybe they don't play Chen because his gimmick is kinda poo poo and he's buggy.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

No Wave posted:

Nice, a claim I never made. If you're going to come in halfway through a conversation at least read the context of my posts before imputing statements to me.

You cited Kerrigan winrate, Butcher winrate, and Garrosh talents to make the point that it's accurate enough in predicting balance changes to be effectively equivalent to Blizzard's internal data. If that's not what you intended, that's how it came across.

porfiria posted:

Also, you said Hotslogs "is as useless as people say it is beyond being an indicator of certain top-level trends." I guess you're saying that the site's sample is biased toward higher level play? Which is probably true but I don't think that means it's "useless." I don't even see how those thoughts are connected.

It's useless as a reliable indicator of balance changes. Many players, especially in the subreddit, obsessively track those frontpage Hotslogs numbers and get upset if Blizzard doesn't do enough to move them or makes changes that seem to contradict them.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Mercy just got changed to only rezzing 1 person at a time. Mercy Auriel skin incoming?

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
If your hotdog sandwich mmr isn't 3k or higher you need to stop posting and literally get out.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

tcjimbo posted:

If your hotdog sandwich mmr isn't 3k or higher you need to stop posting and literally get out.

What if I only upload losses to hotdogs so my win rate is 0%? What then, buster?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fuzz posted:

Except people play Li Li all the time, so...

Maybe they don't play Chen because his gimmick is kinda poo poo and he's buggy.

He excels at bodyblocking and being an unkillable rear end in a top hat. More mobility hurts the first and %hp hurts the second, both of which are on the rise. Not to mention more silences and stuns to hard counter him.

Plus, you can DVa if you want unkillable dude with many hp bars

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Messing about in this game again. Who is the best healer in the game? I just want to help my team by giving them health!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Malf is probably one of the stronger ones that's also straight forward to play. Uther was also very strong but was just nerfed so I don't know if he's still good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Messing about in this game again. Who is the best healer in the game? I just want to help my team by giving them health!
If this is the role you want pick Morales or Lucio (both legendary unfortunately). Probably the most supporty supports.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
With KT incoming, I decided to take a look at the other WC3 heroes.

Alliance: Uther, Jaina, Muradin, and KT Karl. Gang's all here.
Horde: Thrall, Samuro, and ETC I guess. Rehgar already has Chain Heal though, so Vol'jin could go full DPS.
Night Elves: Malf, Tyrande, Illidan. A lot of Maiev's kit is on Zeratul???
Undead: Ya boi KT, Arthas, Anub'arak. Varimathas would be a nifty Support.
Neutrals: Sylvanas, Rexxar, Gazlowe, Chen, and RAGNAROS. WC3 had a canon Naga and Pit Lord, but who the gently caress is your Alchemist?

Plus a handful more based on mass production units. There are 35 Warcraft heroes, counting Cho and Gall separately, and about 2/3 have a counterpart in WC3. Actually a bit higher than I would've guessed.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

He excels at bodyblocking and being an unkillable rear end in a top hat. More mobility hurts the first and %hp hurts the second, both of which are on the rise. Not to mention more silences and stuns to hard counter him.

Plus, you can DVa if you want unkillable dude with many hp bars

Exactly my point.

There are other heroes that do what he does, but better. He's in a no man's land of mediocrity, and his ults are pretty terrible, especially with all the new Heroes that can knock people out of position.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Knifegrab posted:

I wouldn't say there is a best healer in the game. It depends on the mode (QM, HL, or TL), the comp of who you are fighting, the comp of your own team, your rank, the map, etc.

Stukov is my personal favorite though. Very high team-wide healing output, which makes him great on smaller maps where everyone tends to be stacked together.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I want mecchatorque and/or whatever the evil gnome from gnomeregan was named.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I told someone that he should probably stay in lane to soak instead of constantly rotating and letting the other team push and farm freely. His response:

Why do mobas always have the most toxic people?

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 25, 2017

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Because you are reliant on 4 other people doing their job to beat the other team, and lots of insecure nerds play them.

So if the game goes well and they win, it is because they carried the team. If it is a loss, it is because someone else didn't do they job (never themselves!).

MOBAs are basically Dunning-Kruger, the Game.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I usually reply with "if you stop being mad you'll stop being bad" and then report them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

blastron posted:

I usually reply with "if you stop being mad you'll stop being bad" and then report them.

I just respond with "This my smurf. Check out my dope record on Tcjimbo#1157"

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Midnightghoul posted:

I have no idea, even the globe quest bug (which they didn't even fix) wasn't causing him to do that well. Hero balance has never been this game's strong suit though.

EDIT: Here's a summary of the event rewards Yep. That's the rewards

It has seemed for a long time like there are two balance teams, one that does considered tweaks on legitimately op/up heroes and accurately addresses why they are that way, and then there is this team. Butcher and Uther nerfs are understandable but why Chen, Auriel, Kerrigan, Xul, Illidan, Tassadar when almost all of them are so so niche already. The patch notes basically give no better reason for some of these other than "um this hero actually works well in this situation, so gently caress that, say bye to them".

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

I told someone that he should probably stay in lane to soak instead of constantly rotating and letting the other team push and farm freely. His response:

Why do mobas always have the most toxic people?

Why do they always have to wish ill upon your family? It just seems so over the top. I just go with the classic "Uninstall and kill yourself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

The secret pro strat is to turn off whispers from non-friends and never look back.