Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Currently on a Navy deployment and trying to get my board gaming fix. Looking for good solo games, especially of the PnP variety although I'm not averse to purchasing actual boxed games as long as they are relatively compact. Suggestions?

Go bother your shipmates, seaman. There was never a shortage of nerds who wanted to play some games when I was in the Navy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks everyone for the nice words, yes, to me it's way cool that the whole thing got started by a review written by a woman :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Please use JPL tech to go back in time and replace Tom Vasel. TIA.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Has anyone commented on how Napoleon on the cover of nTTA looks almost like they got Mads Mikkelsen to model for it?

I played a three player game of vanilla Cyclades the other night and between three veterans it was like playing on fast forward. Very quick until the end when we kinda hit a wall or two and it was just jockeying for the right god or monster.

I had eight priests by the end and tons of gold but nothing to do with it all and still managed to get outbid on some critical spots due to miscounting and being too cheap with a couple of clinch bids. My GF won, which made her happy because I've been destroying her on a regular basis in FCM.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Are there ANY good board game podcasts that aren't chock full of a ton of bullshitting? Something to the point.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bottom Liner posted:

Please use JPL tech to go back in time and replace Tom Vasel. TIA.

Not emptyquoting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

Has anyone commented on how Napoleon on the cover of nTTA looks almost like they got Mads Mikkelsen to model for it?
Yes, this gets brought up from time to time in my playgroups and is specifically why I'm keeping the nTTA box (I compress my games to make room on the shelf so frequently have 2-3 games in a single box...here's looking at you, Queen and Mayfair!).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ShaneB posted:

Are there ANY good board game podcasts that aren't chock full of a ton of bullshitting? Something to the point.

Maybe Heavy Cardboard? I guess the question is, what is "the point" for you?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Countblanc posted:

Maybe Heavy Cardboard? I guess the question is, what is "the point" for you?

Good question. Basically anything sub 60 minutes that is news and reviews and thoughts. I don't really like podcasts that are like groups of friends bullshitting for two hours and somehow gain a following of people who think they are their friends too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I tried to listen to Heavy Cardboard but they drone on about sports and family stuff for a long time. Pretty much the opposite of his request.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I have the same problem. "Board Game Blitz" is enjoyable. It's pretty light, but episodes are short and get right to the point - here's what they played, here's more detail about a new game, here's some convention news, and maybe some fluff at the very end.

I've tried maybe six different podcasts so far and that is the only one that stuck, and the only one where the hosts didn't spend the first 40 minutes talking about local sports or family holidays or whatever.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean podcasts probably aren't what you're looking for then. There's lots of review sites and video series about games if that's what you're looking for. Podcasts tend to veer heavily into "radio show" format which means they're going to have a lot of side chatter and digressions because they tend to be very off-the-cuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

I've started listening to HAMTAG on youtube while I paint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RxewLG8G-s

They're a couple grognards that love to talk about their games and they talk about further references for more research too. This video is about wargames, but they also talk about more mainstream board games in their other episodes. Really good series.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5L17uzfaZk is their coop game episode and they give a shoutout to :siren: space alert. :siren:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Secret Cabal is the best. They cover a lot of games they've been playing, do a light review of a current game, then do a news roundup or discussion topic. They stay on topic 99% of the time as well, but they're literally a group of friends talking about board games for 2.5 hours, so you might hate it. Best of all, they're actually personable people that I would enjoy gaming with and their tastes are wide enough to cover most games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I listen to the Shut Up & Sit Down podcast...but that probably has too much bullshit. Pretty funny bullshit though, in my opinion anyway.

I've played a few games of Word Domination lately, and I'm quite liking it. If Paperback is a Scrabble Deckbuilder, then this game is Scrabble Territory Control. Essentially, there are a number of tiles with letters on them on the board. You draw a tile and try to make a word that uses your tile + any number of letters on the board. If you do, you 'canvas' them (ie put your marker on it). If you canvas a tile that has someone else's marker, they get removed from the tile. And if you can canvas a tile that already has your marker on it (ie, the turns have gone around the board and no one has canvassed it), then you 'steal' the tile, snatching it into your personal repository for your own use whenever you make words in the future. Additionally, you get a marker on the board to replace that tile.

At the end of the game, your marker on the board from stolen tiles (not canvassed ones, only stolen ones) are counted as points. Any stolen tiles of yours that are in adjacent groups of three or more are worth double, so it bears a moment to think about if putting down a long word would be better, or a shorter word that gives you a group of stolen tiles instead.

Plus there are secret weapons and abilities but whatever. It's a game I intend to bring out often, especially for people who don't typically play a lot of board games.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Which sleeves for Dominion:
  1. FFG Standard
  2. Mayday Standard
  3. Mayday Premium

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
2. Unless you really want to spend a fortune. Penny sleeves are fine for Dominion, just grab a spare pack to replace the occasional rip.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Toshimo posted:

1. FFG Standard
  2. Mayday Standard
  3. Mayday Premium

Mayday sleeves are garbage, I'd never use them.

Edit: I guess if you just want some cheap protection, fine.

That said, why not use Ultrapros? They come in bigger packs, don't they?

I'm a man who likes a nice, solid fitting sleeve. Penny sleeves can go into the trash where their kind belong.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

jivjov posted:

2. Unless you really want to spend a fortune. Penny sleeves are fine for Dominion, just grab a spare pack to replace the occasional rip.

This. They shuffle the easiest as well IMO.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bottom Liner posted:

The Secret Cabal is the best. They cover a lot of games they've been playing, do a light review of a current game, then do a news roundup or discussion topic. They stay on topic 99% of the time as well, but they're literally a group of friends talking about board games for 2.5 hours, so you might hate it. Best of all, they're actually personable people that I would enjoy gaming with and their tastes are wide enough to cover most games.

Actually they are the worst as all they do is talk about how great miniatures are and how "butthurt" people on the internet get

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

their latest express episode included a favorable review of exploding kittens.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Toshimo posted:

1. FFG Standard
  2. Mayday Standard
  3. Mayday Premium

Dominion is euro sized, but assuming that's what you mean I use the FFG purples, they're quite nice.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Toshimo posted:

1. FFG Standard
  2. Mayday Standard
  3. Mayday Premium

Don't do it. Get a copy of Base Cards when your coppers start to show their age. Your kingdom cards won't show up often enough to really suffer wear.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Eh, the guy said it was fine for non-gamers or families but that it was not really a good game and not worth the millions it raised. Pretty fair assessment. But yeah in general they aren't really harsh with critique about anything, just chat about games which for me is good background noise. I appreciate when they bring up obscure and older games I've never played, and found a few gems that way.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Draft Mechanic (you can skip the beer stuff if you don't care about it), and Board Game Blitz.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Morpheus posted:

Mayday sleeves are garbage, I'd never use them.

Edit: I guess if you just want some cheap protection, fine.

That said, why not use Ultrapros? They come in bigger packs, don't they?

I'm a man who likes a nice, solid fitting sleeve. Penny sleeves can go into the trash where their kind belong.

Dominion is currently at 3,750 cards + Promos after Nocturne (so, ~4,000). It might be a bit higher with 2nd Ed cards, I don't know how that was counted.

FFG Standard (Purple) are going to be $144 for 3,000.
Mayday Standard are going to be $145 for 10,000.
Mayday Premium are going to be $163 for 5,000.

So, ~$200 for FFG, ~$70 for Mayday Standard, and ~$160 for Mayday Premium.

Ultimate Guard Premium are about the same as FFG, Ultra Pro Standard are about the same price as Mayday Premium.

I'm leaning towards Mayday Standard, less because of the price (even if I buy 1000 extra sleeves for breaks/wear, it's much cheaper), but because the thinner sleeves will let me fit more cards into the Broken Token Organizer Box I bought.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

Morpheus posted:

I listen to the Shut Up & Sit Down podcast...but that probably has too much bullshit. Pretty funny bullshit though, in my opinion anyway.

Seconding both of these. Also, Brian's voice is so sexy it gave me chest hair.

If I need to go on a road trip and I already listened to all of these, I will break into Rolling Dice and Taking Names (which is fine) and The Dice Tower. The Dice Tower used to be a lot fluffier, but they changed the format in episode 500 and there is way less flummery than there used to be. I still genuinely like Eric, and I can tolerate Tom.

Papes posted:

Actually they are the worst as all they do is talk about how great miniatures are and how "butthurt" people on the internet get

Sounds like someone's butthurt. Gotta get some of that soothing Miller's Butt Cream.

Speaking of podcasts, has anyone listened to Radho's podcast? Guess I should give it a try one of these years.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

al-azad posted:

Go bother your shipmates, seaman. There was never a shortage of nerds who wanted to play some games when I was in the Navy.

It's not a lack of people issue, its more of a lack of time.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The Ludology podcast definitely had a 'no bullshit' format but the topic is not what you're looking for: they are much more focused on topics like designing around a game mechanic or the the history of a particular game. It seems like quite a good podcast of board gaming interest though, particularly if you want no bullshit and 60 minutes.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Currently on a Navy deployment and trying to get my board gaming fix. Looking for good solo games, especially of the PnP variety although I'm not averse to purchasing actual boxed games as long as they are relatively compact. Suggestions?

You have a captive audience can you teach some people to play? The best solo game i own is my iPad closely followed by Phantom Leader which isn't exactly compact or quick to setup and tear down.

(Don't run into anything)

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Update about the shithead who stole games from my friend who died last week:

Confirmed that he's a shithead. Says he took some games, will maybe return some of them if we can provide a list of what we want back. I'm going to attempt not lay into him after the funeral on Saturday.

Even after we explained that the family was having to front the money to cover the mortgage and funeral and stuff, and that by selling his collection we were hoping to get some fast cash to them while they wait for his assets to unfreeze, this assburglar is still being lovely.

I know that grief makes people do stupid things, but I'm having a hard time buying that as an excuse at this point.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

It's not a lack of people issue, its more of a lack of time.

Well I can't think of any compact solo games but I definitely recommend a cheap tablet, like a Fire, and loading it up with boardgame apps of which Bottom Liner has a list of reqs.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Big McHuge posted:

Confirmed that he's a shithead. Says he took some games, will maybe return some of them if we can provide a list of what we want back. I'm going to attempt not lay into him after the funeral on Saturday.

Even after we explained that the family was having to front the money to cover the mortgage and funeral and stuff, and that by selling his collection we were hoping to get some fast cash to them while they wait for his assets to unfreeze, this assburglar is still being lovely.

I know that grief makes people do stupid things, but I'm having a hard time buying that as an excuse at this point.

Standard I-am-not-a-lawyer disclaimer, but: Did your friend leave a written will, or just a spoken one? Because if its a written will (especially if it's a notarized will), then Assburglar just literally confessed to theft, because you have proof that your friend did not verbally will the games in question to Assburglar.

Depending on the demonstrable market value of the stolen games, he might have committed actual factual burglary, if he stole enough to qualify for felony charges.

If the will isn't notarized, or was just verbal, then you'd have to establish the terms of the will in a court of law, likely with sworn witness testimony. That's a massive headache, but threatening him with a lawsuit might unfuck his head.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The Ludology podcast definitely had a 'no bullshit' format but the topic is not what you're looking for: they are much more focused on topics like designing around a game mechanic or the the history of a particular game. It seems like quite a good podcast of board gaming interest though, particularly if you want no bullshit and 60 minutes.

this sounds awesome af

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Standard I-am-not-a-lawyer disclaimer, but: Did your friend leave a written will, or just a spoken one? Because if its a written will (especially if it's a notarized will), then Assburglar just literally confessed to theft, because you have proof that your friend did not verbally will the games in question to Assburglar.

Depending on the demonstrable market value of the stolen games, he might have committed actual factual burglary, if he stole enough to qualify for felony charges.

If the will isn't notarized, or was just verbal, then you'd have to establish the terms of the will in a court of law, likely with sworn witness testimony. That's a massive headache, but threatening him with a lawsuit might unfuck his head.

I-am-also-not-a-lawyer-but-friends-with-one-whom-I-spoke-to-about : each state has their own succession laws but generally all material property (and bills, debt, mortgage, and all the sad poo poo) is usually handled by the closest relative who is named executor of the estate (and at least in Virginia this person is mandated payment from the estate as well which caused all sorts of drama when my great uncle died). This person is usually solely in charge of beneficiaries in the absence of a will and is legally responsible for the estate. They can press charges for things like fraud and theft.

I would demand the games back as firmly as possible and maybe have the executor or a family member do it for extra emphasis. Unfortunately there's no real benefit to spending more time and energy on providing proof or fighting a legal battle over some board games. Cut the fucker off and never speak to them again, if you know them in a larger community I would even spread the word around. Let everyone know how lovely they're acting.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Big McHuge posted:

Punch him in the face.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

al-azad posted:

Well I can't think of any compact solo games but I definitely recommend a cheap tablet, like a Fire, and loading it up with boardgame apps of which Bottom Liner has a list of reqs.

Paging Bottom Liner

Oldstench posted:

Punch him in the face.

And kick him in the dick.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Big McHuge posted:

What a trash human being. This isn't a "grief makes people act dumb" thing, this is straight up being an rear end in a top hat. Tell all of the people involved that he stole the games and will not give them back, then cut that piece of poo poo out of your life for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I only keep up with iOS, but the majority of games also get released on Android.

iOS board games (not saying they're all good games, but good app versions if you like the games), bolded are my favorite board game apps:

Agricola
Agricola: All Creatures Big And Small
Tigres & Euphrates
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Lost Cities
Summoner War
Ticket to Ride
Ascension
Carcassonne
Galaxy Trucker
Patchwork
Pandemic
Dominion
Splendor
Eclipse
Twilight Struggle
Le Harve
Glass Road
Lords of Waterdeep
Small World
Caylus
Stone Age
Onirim
Neuroshima Hex
Suburbia
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Star Realms
Warhammer Quest
Galaxy of Trian
Brass
Scotland Yard
Baseball Highlights 2045
Paperback
Terra Mystica
Tokaido
Bottom of the 9th
Burgle Bros.
Eight-Minute Empires
Pathfinder Adventures
Lanterns
Race for the Galaxy

Digital only games that I recommend for board gamers:

New World Colony (Catan + Terra Mystica + 4xish)
Polytopia (lite and fast 4x)
Hero Academy (Chess + Fire Emblem)
Guild of Dungeoneering (Kinda Mage Knight-ish)
Antihero

Coming soon to iOS:

New Through the Ages
Smash Up
Codenames
Terraforming Mars
Zombicide
Cottage Garden
Bohnanza Duel
7 Wonders
Pixel Tactics
Battlecon
Roll for the Galaxy

Also, Scythe is getting a standalone Steam release, I imagine apps will follow.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 25, 2017