Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Nah what'll happen is, private equity will buy all residential real estate with a pile of cash, and personal homeownership will cease to exist. The fact that home ownership was a thing in the US is bizarre and not the historical norm.

Serfdom is gonna be great guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
If it gets to that I will be living in a meth shack in the woods.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 25, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We all will be, and Peter Thiel's bailiffs will come around to collect our blood tithes.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

CFox posted:

Nah that's when the boomers kids/grandkids move into those houses since they can't afford to actually buy a house.

I know a lot of people who are just waiting for their inheritance. One friend keeps claiming he'll get over $100,000. He's currently living with his boomer mother in a 2 bedroom apartment. The two of them are just waiting for the grandparents to die off.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

anonumos posted:

I know a lot of people who are just waiting for their inheritance. One friend keeps claiming he'll get over $100,000. He's currently living with his boomer mother in a 2 bedroom apartment. The two of them are just waiting for the grandparents to die off.

I think a lot of folks banking on some big Dead Parents Payout are gonna be extremely disappointed when all they end up inheriting is a pile of One Tree Hill DVDs and some furniture.

Maybe they get the house (with 15-20 years of deferred maintenance).

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

anonumos posted:

I hope the grandparents are in on this plan and have already begun to transfer ownership of assets. End-of-life care from a nursing home or similar will make an inheritance disappear in the blink of an eye if the person getting the care has any kind of assets in their name.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just lol if you don't think boomers won't spend literally every penny possible prolonging their life to the point that their broke children will be unable to afford even a meagre funeral

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Just lol if you don't think boomers won't spend literally every penny possible prolonging their life to the point that their broke children will be unable to afford even a meagre funeral
LOL if you think the dead are going to accept a "meager" funeral. There are options, man!

https://www.gloan.com/personal/funeral/

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Cheesus posted:

LOL if you think the dead are going to accept a "meager" funeral. There are options, man!

https://www.gloan.com/personal/funeral/

LOL if you think boomers aren't going to have their kids buried alive with them ancient Egypt style

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm going to have my house turned into a mausoleum for me so that I can enjoy pride of ownership for all eternity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's basically hair conditioner for textiles. It made more sense back when everyone wore natural fabrics all the time - things like cotton can dry feeling kind of crunchy and scratchy. Wool is naturally coated with an oil called lanolin that softens it - before the mass-consumer era people would sometimes add lanolin to their laundry as a natural softener. The modern ones just coat everything with something like silicone so that the fibers lie flat and the fabric feels slicker. It's a dumb idea even for natural fabrics but completely, literally useless for synthetics, since they're already slick.

Does America not generally make full cotton clothing? It's not very hard to find in the UK and I look for it because synthetic stuff makes me sweat/itchy, but you do need something to soften it a little bit. Just wondered if synthetic fabrics are more common in the US?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 25, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wear 100% cotton stuff pretty frequently and I've never needed softener. Yeah, it's a little rougher than viscose or whatever, but not enough to be irritating.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/08/24/these-kmart-stores-shutting-down/597324001/

Another 28 K-marts will be closed by mid-November.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

God drat it close that loving K-mart in Minneapolis.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

karthun posted:

They'll keep it around until the bitter end just as a gently caress you to Minneapolis. The city should force it closed anyway and finally connect Nicollet through

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

karthun posted:

Haha was going to post that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I hadn't been in literally years, but I was at the mall and I stopped by the Sears today. It was actually busier than the Belk and JCPenney.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OwlFancier posted:

Does America not generally make full cotton clothing? It's not very hard to find in the UK and I look for it because synthetic stuff makes me sweat/itchy, but you do need something to soften it a little bit. Just wondered if synthetic fabrics are more common in the US?

I don't really have any hard data, but it sure seems like it, especially non-luxury women's clothing. I've been on a tear lately trying to find natural fibers, and it's a nightmare. Even stuff that's advertised as being linen or cotton will turn out to be 50% rayon or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh well that sucks, usually you have to ask but most places I've looked seem to stock cotton shirts pretty cheaply, trousers less so but trousers you don't mind so much.

I don't get the aversion to cotton, it's not like synthetic fibers are nicer most of the time unless you buy very expensive ones and cotton doesn't seem to be particularly expensive. I hope it doesn't become a global thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I use fabric softener for everything except towels and rags. I just like the way it feels and it adds no cost to the tide pods to pick the one with softener instead of extra scent

Halloween Jack posted:

I hadn't been in literally years, but I was at the mall and I stopped by the Sears today. It was actually busier than the Belk and JCPenney.

Just have to say I find the Belk name hilarious. I get that it's probably the name of a company founder or something, but it seems so crass somehow. Like Belk is regional slang for a filthy gesture.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

My favorite Belk moment is an Arkansas football player shoplifting from a Belk store after getting a bunch of free Belk swag courtesy of the Belk Bowl

Belk!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OwlFancier posted:

Huh well that sucks, usually you have to ask but most places I've looked seem to stock cotton shirts pretty cheaply, trousers less so but trousers you don't mind so much.

I don't get the aversion to cotton, it's not like synthetic fibers are nicer most of the time unless you buy very expensive ones and cotton doesn't seem to be particularly expensive. I hope it doesn't become a global thing.

Women's clothing is really different. I could buy a men's all-cotten t-shirt in any big-box store, but women's apparel has been mostly gauzey synthetics for years now.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Women's clothing is really different. I could buy a men's all-cotten t-shirt in any big-box store, but women's apparel has been mostly gauzey synthetics for years now.

Oh hey, I have been making a source list for natural fiber women's clothing for a little while. I think I may have some good sources for you. I'll can PM you tomorrow if that works , please remind me if I forget.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 25, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Cotton is pretty expensive, and there was a huge spike in the cost of cotton shortly after the "Arab spring" (lol at that designation now :smith:) because of the political unrest in Egypt.

Longer cotton fibers that make good strong threads/cloth are more expensive than short, wispy fibers that pull apart and fray easily. Someone discovered not too long ago that Lycra makes an effective glue for short-fiber cotton. You can use lower quality cotton and add 5% Lycra and it's more durable. Plus it stretches so it's perfect for form-fitting clothes that are gendered female.

Finding 100% cotton clothes for women is a shitshow. They're very expensive. On Amazon, half the stuff that's marked as 100% cotton is counterfeit. Read the reviews and see how many people report that stuff they bought isn't the advertised fiber content. :argh:

Thank you for joining me today on FiberChat.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Everyone wants cotton for its many qualities which is kinda unfortunate considering we already reached peak cotton.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah we better get psyched for hemp :420::350::2bong::420::birddrugs::catdrugs::okpos:

hemp is a terrible textile fiber

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oooh, I love FiberChat but was trying not to derail! I think some of it depends on what cut of women's clothes you are looking for and sizing. I'm pretty small, and I've done okay finding cotton and cotton-linen blends (especially at H&M) altering my own, and sewing some simple stuff myself. I've had stuff made for me at Indian shops which is also not too expensive (my stepdad is Sikh and orders custom stuff there anyway so I put in my order with his). I'm also not testing for counterfeit; I don't have a rayon allergy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

H&M loves its plastic/cotton blends.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

H&M loves its plastic/cotton blends.

Welp, now I've got to lab test everything (though the clothes still work for me, it would be good to know). Thanks for the info. Sorry TB, I've probably been had. :smith:

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 25, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's true, I think some of my other half's maxi dresses are blends at least but yeah I dunno how you manage with all the horrible stretchy gauze poo poo. It's uncomfortable.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Can women get away with the traditional male jeans/t-shirt combo or is something that prosaic still constrained by lack of pure cotton? Please understand that I'm basically a beep-boop alien robot when it comes to even mens' fashion.

What about underwear/socks?

vvv: wasn't lying, seriously. I heard they do poo poo differently back east/in europe and other foreign lands, like you'd get turned away if you went to a theater or fancy restaurant dressed in a t-shirt and jeans.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 25, 2017

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Can women get away with the traditional male jeans/t-shirt combo

Have you never seen a woman wearing jeans and a tshirt?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently Amazon announced this thursday that the prices of everything at whole foods will be cut. And the stocks of traditional grocers went into a tailspin at the news.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
They also mentioned attempting other bonus experiments for Prime members whatever that means. There is a WFM not far from me, though honestly their quality/price isn't normally enough to snag my interest over my local independent grocer. But I do love me my prime membership so I'll probably check them out as they iterate.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Amused to Death posted:

Have you never seen a woman wearing jeans and a tshirt?

Yes. My wife, this morning, before she left for work.

Are women in jeans and t-shirts just a PNW thing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Yes. My wife, this morning, before she left for work.

Are women in jeans and t-shirts just a PNW thing?

Most people cannot wear just a t-shirt and jeans to work.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

that sounds like an awful way to live.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've changed in and out of a t-shirt 3 times today because I had to haul stuff back and forth between two buildings and I knew I'd get soaked with sweat.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

What?

Warehousing and trucking. Construction and any manufacturing that doesn't require a ton of special protective clothing. Lots of retail and back office.

If not jeans, then black or tan slacks are really common, and it is easy to get those in cotton. Think of all the retail and chain restaurant uniforms that are just polo shirt and slacks.

For most Americans, work attire is t-shirt or polo with jeans or Dickies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

What?

Warehousing and trucking. Construction and any manufacturing that doesn't require a ton of special protective clothing. Lots of retail and back office.

If not jeans, then black or tan slacks are really common, and it is easy to get those in cotton. Think of all the retail and chain restaurant uniforms that are just polo shirt and slacks.

For most Americans, work attire is t-shirt or polo with jeans or Dickies.

Not, I think, for most American women. Women have a different expected dress standard than men a lot of the time.