Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MR. J posted:

I was going to say it sounds awfully familiar saying that but my memory was failing me. Yeah Garchomp was loving bad.

I guess Excadrill counts as that too, though I only fought the gym leader one, which was still a terrible experience.

God, I did some poo poo with Excadrills. People practically handed their Gengars and Latioses to me, scored more KOs off of Shadow Claw than I frankly should have, but apparently the idea of giving Excadrill a move that effortlessly defeats Gengar was a loving mystery before.

That is, when I didn't get free KOs because they expected Swords Dance. I ran a choice band.

I wish I could claim some tactical genius but, no, I did the same loving things over and over again and kept winning. Christ. The ban was no surprise to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, turns out that minmaxing speed and attack is a brokenly good strategy as long as you have the typing to back it up! Or, in Inflagetah's case, can just Hit First Without Fail Every Time.

EDIT: Thinking about it, Rhyperior or Onix would be a potential counter to the rocket cat, too. Able to soak his STAB and Extremespeed, smack back with super-effective STAB of their own. Might not work with Onix, but Rhyp is punchy enough.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 24, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

EDIT: Thinking about it, Rhyperior or Onix would be a potential counter to the rocket cat, too. Able to soak his STAB and Extremespeed, smack back with super-effective STAB of their own. Might not work with Onix, but Rhyp is punchy enough.

Reminder that rocketman has erfquake

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
What I'm getting from this is you should just throw a Kyogre at it.

Literally.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Haifisch posted:

What I'm getting from this is you should just throw a Kyogre at it.

Literally.

Hmm I wonder how most of the Ubers would fare against it actually.

Lugia could probably toxic stall it without too much issue so long as it can be whirlwind'd away if it tries to Swords Dance.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Defensive Lando-T is 4HKOed by Flame Impact and OHKOs with Earthquake and unlike Rhyperior is actually useful against other pokemon.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Xelkelvos posted:

Sage is better in that while it's from /vp/, 4chan's Pokemon board, they don't load it with memes like Clover and because it's from /vp/, it's made by people who understand game mechanics.

I'm watching someone stream Clover and there's some really bad (read: offensive) jokes mixed in with some good ones. The "lightyears away from Brock" one is good, but then there's the second gym path being in the shape of the transgender symbol as a dig at tumblr. Those are just minor examples.

I just took a look at Clover's Wiki and honestly the weirdest thing is that the pokedex is a 50/50 mixture of hate speech and pokemon that aren't jokes at all. If you're going to make a horribly offensive comedy game at least commit to a tone.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Finally, having finally defeated all eight opponents, I'm ready to finally progress, finally.

The championship match takes place in the mouth of an active volcano, like, large amounts of bubbling lava.

Magma?

What do I call molten rock when jackoffs make a battle arena right above it?

It's also against Theo, obviously.

Theo's character arc isn't the best, but it's not awful.

It's nice he takes this moment of self-reflection, mirroring in a sense how impatient he was for the first ba-

Wait no this isn't about Theo at all the dumb parts of Uranium are happening.

DON'T POINT IT OUT DAMMIT

From the depths of the volcano a giant beast emerges!

And he asks me to google what I call molten rocks, I think?

It's a legendary Pokemon! And it's radioactive! That can't be good!

From Dick Solomon's pocket I guess the hazard suit says hey I'm important

Luckily Actan will wait patiently for Dick Solomon to get into the hazard suit, while the others run off to evacuate civilians.

OST: PU-LegendaryBattle.ogg

Something about this one isn't clicking to me.

OFSelects: Kanye West - POWER

Motherfucker we rollin'.

Actan is level 80 and has intimidate.

Doesn't help with its x4 fire weakness. It's Nuclear/Steel.

drat son that evacuation must've taken like five seconds, we were still in the +2 priority bracket.

We brought Vaeryn to blah blah blah

Why can't we just have that happen, it's not like Acolyte is a bit too much for Hero of Tandor Ninja Ranger Good Human Hokage Dick Solomon's titles, or that it can be any kind of telepathy.

Actan sheds off its edgy palette and goes back to normal.

You know that whole declaring the villain defeated for good thing?

I may have been a bit hasty at declaring that.

We didn't need to catch it in the first place, one-shotting it was enough.

No matter who you dump, it's put in front. It's good to get a super-tough steel-type now, because...

I think we hosed up, royally.

The screen gets a second filter and the person I like the least appears!

CURIE continues to be CURIE.

Most of these screenshots are just me wanting to confirm these lines are indeed here.

I worried for a second this would be "we don't want to figure out our own story so we just insist you can't understand it."

No it's "it's just SO TRAGIC"

I think after this Kellyn says something defiant.

Because CURIE cannot turn down the edge.

Urayne's been having a light snack.

And is going to become Safer Sephiroth, I guess.

Dick Solomon still stands strong because gently caress this melodramatic crone.

Everyone else has to run away because we're the only one with a super-advanced radiation suit.

CURIE of course has to make it as dismal and edgy as possible.

Seriously what the heck

Will you shut up already and begin the boss battle

Oh my god finally

The screen turns... uh... a solid neon green?

That one's new.

Oh my god they're still going

Looks goofy.

Actan is up in front and has a super-strong signature move. How can we lose?

are you really

you really did

Battle music is the same as last time.

OFSelects: Sheldon Allman - Radioactive Mama

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

It places a permanent fallout weather condition.

Anyway, the game gives us a legendary steel-type t-

What

Oh my god

Gamma Urayne has 154 base special attack. Between that and its level, that puts its special attack at too much. In fact, Gamma Urayne's stats are too much. 122/130/116/154/104/132 for a base stat total of 758.

But I have a secret weapon.

Urayne has three Nuclear moves and Overheat. Top Boy is immune to nuclear damage due to its ability, Lead Skin.

So three of its attacks just do nothing.

I have the opportunity to set up defensive moves for Overheat.

Top Boy has Protect/Substitute/Light Screen/Recover. He cannot fall.

Even then, the first Overheat that hit him would be halved thanks to the berry.

I couldn't have Leftovers and the berry, and items are lame. Top Boy will instead be self-sufficient.

Of course, Urayne's special attack bottoms out, and it can't even break the sub anymore. It only has 5 Overheats.

Weird move that has an invulnerable turn then a damage turn. 100 power for a nuclear move is a lot, but Urayne already has Atomic Punch for a signature move.

All it does really is postpone the inevatable by 5 turns.

When a Pokemon can't use any of its moves, say because they're all out of PP, it starts Struggling. Struggle has a lot of weird qualities but there's only one we carea bout here:

It deals 1/4th of the user's max HP in damage each time it hits.

So four struggles...

And I win.

CURIE lost the arbok somewhere I guess.

Yeah I know.

And that was the final boss! A more extreme glass cannon than last time we fought Urayne!

Next time: the sympathetic backstory that makes us feel sorry for CURIE and Urayne.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Top Boy truly is the best. :3:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

The absolute Top Boy!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

A fitting end to a game of this caliber.

Now to see if this game's story continues to be as woefully predictable as it is.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Top Boy is the toppest, without a doubt.

"Imma just take a nap, tell me when you finish trying to squeeze my plushie to death, kay?"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Mega-Inflagetah could have killed it the normal way, right? this was for fun rather than out of necessity?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cheetah7071 posted:

Mega-Inflagetah could have killed it the normal way, right? this was for fun rather than out of necessity?

Yeah. Items are allowed so I could just revive him if it didn't work the first Flame Impact.

But it's not every day you can PP stall the final boss, you know?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It is just incredible how dumb this game is at times. I keep underestimating it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Good work, Top Boy. Good work. :radcat:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Anyway, the game gives us a legendary steel-type t-

What

Oh my god

Gamma Urayne has 154 base special attack. Between that and its level, that puts its special attack at too much. In fact, Gamma Urayne's stats are too much. 122/130/116/154/104/132 for a base stat total of 758.

Yeah, that's my favorite bit of design in this shitheap. You're given a final climactic showdown, and you get a Steel legendary to make sure that you have at least one type advantage pokemon. You know, something that a game with actual thought put in it's design would do for a game for children!

And the final boss has Overheat. It's got five more levels compared to the legendary you got, has stupid stats, and has Overheat. The free pokemon that the game gives you to make sure that you aren't screwed out by not having a steel type to fight against the nuclear boy is a complete liability and dead weight that can get OHKO on the first turn, leaving you with five pokemon left to fight with.

Incredible.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
PP Stalling the final boss. Amazing. :allears:

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
This game is so stupid.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
No what's also stupid is what happens when you lose.

EDIT: removing that, I assume that OFS will cover it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Onmi posted:

EDIT: removing that, I assume that OFS will cover it.

Oh, no, actually. If anything I figured it'd boot me to the pokemon center right before the final round, or something.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The toppest boy

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Haha what the gently caress, 758 BST, and practically in an Arceus-like balanced distribution. Jesus gently caress.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fun fact, actan is one of two legendaries that were made to go 'with' heatran. they all look like hosed up weird giraffe dogs or whatever

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Overused. :rimshot:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Oh, no, actually. If anything I figured it'd boot me to the pokemon center right before the final round, or something.

Nope, that's not how any of the Curie fights go. My entire team was outsped and OHKOd by the dude. poo poo's bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Oppenheimer quote...I have heard of it in myth and legend...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Hahaha you maniac. I thought you were just going to use Expunge :allears:

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Top Boy is indeed the most top of boys.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Waffleman_ posted:

The Oppenheimer quote...I have heard of it in myth and legend...

and of course being edgelords, they completely misunderstood the context of the quote, Oppenheimer was not bragging, he was realizing the full gravity of what he unleashed and was horrified.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

No one 'mon should have all this power.

Also God bless you, Top Boy.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Robindaybird posted:

and of course being edgelords, they completely misunderstood the context of the quote, Oppenheimer was not bragging, he was realizing the full gravity of what he unleashed and was horrified.

He probably just thought the line was originally from Wolfenstein 3D, the tool.
Edit: memory lapse on words. Guys still a fuckin tool though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Robindaybird posted:

Given their love of cusses, I'm surprised there's no "Now we are all sons of bitches"

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I, for one, actually kinda like the fake-out with Actan. Because not only is it drat funny in an "oh, welp" kind of a way, it basically starts Gamma Urayne at half power because it'll always Overheat first thing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Is it possible to refuse to put Actan in your party, or are you stuck with an insta-dead lead no matter what?

Robindaybird posted:

To be fair, I'm guessing most people who casually whip that quote out don't understand the context either. Because that quote is edgelord bait.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure I can blame the game for Gamma Urayne and Actan when Ghetsis' Hydreigon exists. It's a rather different situation, sure, but it's still one where your cool new legendary dragon that you're forced to get is totally useless.

Only, you know, Ghetsis is a great adversary and CURIE is so edgy that you could think this was the Reborn thread.

Barely related, what would've happened if you tried to catch Gamma Urayne? Would the battle end there and you'd get the normal version anyways? I find it hard to believe that the game would give you a Rad Legendary.

Unrelated to the quality of this game, Top Boy best boy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Actan's legs remind me of the Tallest from Invader Zim. Aside from the stupid axe on the front, it's very Zim in general.

You call it "loving stupid."
But it's exposed to the air so it's technically lava.

I'll just leave this here.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
fighting over lava loving owns actually

I mean yes it's stupid

but also: rules

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Oh then yeah, if you lose here, it's a Game Over. You're forever locked in here unable to get out. So if you saved before fighting Gamma Urayne, and were completely unprepared The game is now locked and you can never win because losing results in a game over and you cannot leave to grind or change your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016

XavierGenisi posted:

Yeah, that's my favorite bit of design in this shitheap. You're given a final climactic showdown, and you get a Steel legendary to make sure that you have at least one type advantage pokemon. You know, something that a game with actual thought put in it's design would do for a game for children!

And the final boss has Overheat. It's got five more levels compared to the legendary you got, has stupid stats, and has Overheat. The free pokemon that the game gives you to make sure that you aren't screwed out by not having a steel type to fight against the nuclear boy is a complete liability and dead weight that can get OHKO on the first turn, leaving you with five pokemon left to fight with.

Incredible.

Onmi posted:

Oh then yeah, if you lose here, it's a Game Over. You're forever locked in here unable to get out. So if you saved before fighting Gamma Urayne, and were completely unprepared The game is now locked and you can never win because losing results in a game over and you cannot leave to grind or change your team.

Yep. For my money, this is the single biggest design dickpunch in the entire game, far worse than Mega Inflagetah. There's no avoiding the miserable clusterfuck that is Gamma Urayne. And if you saved before your fight with him, like a normal person would...

One last story from my playthrough. I knew Gamma Urayne was horrible, so I planned the best I could for him: switching my least powerful Mon in front to get replaced by Actan, relying on Actan taking an Overheat to cut Urayne's Spec Attack, Mega Evolving Orchynx (its ability cuts its 4x Fire weakness to 2x). I was as ready as I could be. And when I finally got to the battle...

Urayne's Overheat missed. Actan used Crunch. Urayne's Overheat missed again. Actan used Crunch.

Urayne fainted!

:smithicide:

• Locked thread