Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Mother Nature set to execute mentally disabled State

Dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NHC_Surge/status/900376620543823872

https://twitter.com/NHC_Surge/status/900376893643522048

:whitewater:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mr Interweb posted:

There's only one good white rapper, and his name is Marshall Mathers, aka Eminem. :colbert:

But I also believe that he's been considered a full fledged member of the black community for a while now.

Astronautalis my friend

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lmao

https://twitter.com/USDOL/status/900810344746143744

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MC 900 Foot Jesus is a good rapper IMO.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
what did katrina do to bush's opinion numbers?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bel Shazar posted:

Psh... racist thread not counting Lil' Dicky as a white rapper because he's Jewish.

Thread neglecting the brain smh

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

It pretty much ended his presidency. He just played out the string afterwards.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

America's ability to parody itself is almost unbelievable sometimes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Prester Jane posted:

12' storm surge is currently predicted. That is uh, alot. :stonk:

Like, that is basically a tidal wave that will penetrate several miles inland in areas. Just from the storm surge :stonk: Let alone any islands in the path of that, holy poo poo.

That kind of storm surge in conjunction with this level of rain+wind, across this wide of an area..... they are gonna need to redraw the coastline maps in some areas after this settles, and it will take weeks to figure out where exactly the ocean ends and land begins. Detioriata is quite correct, some areas will be stinking mud pits that won't dry out for months. (And then when they do dry out there will be a whoooooole host if interesting problems that must be solved if people want to live there again.) In the worst areas it could take over a year for the reek of stagnant death to begin to recede enough to be tolerable.

tropical storm amelia dumped 48 inches of rain on the same stretch of south texas in 1978

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Amelia_(1978)

it'll be bad but i think you're overestimating a bit. 27 inches would have to fall just to crack the top 10 cyclones to hit the continental us

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Could someone link the original Giant Texas Cannibal Murderpig post? I have unfortunately forgotten the details.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Atmosphere, Aesop Rock and the non-POS, non-Mike Mictlan members of Doomtree are good

Also there's El-P, who quite obviously owns.

Stay safe, Texas.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

Post Katrina was when Republicans turned on him in the polling.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

Could someone link the original Giant Texas Cannibal Murderpig post? I have unfortunately forgotten the details.

And I have no idea what you're talking about, but for the love of god please :frogon:

I must read this with no preamble but that four word description.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Post Katrina was when Republicans turned on him in the polling.

then i guess i hope texas gets hosed

(for the sake of the country!)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/imwiththoughts/status/900892148580700160

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KickerOfMice posted:

:fuckoff: baked alaska. You have the flow of a square wheel falling down a shallow flight of stairs.

THIS is how a whiteboy raps-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZaz7OqyTHQ

I mean seriously though, 'a rap track' does not mean a list of sentences where the last word of every pair rhymes.

I think Everlast lost his whiteboy card when he converted to Islam in the mid-'90s.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

then i guess i hope texas gets hosed

(for the sake of the country!)

I don't. Those most affected probably don't like Trump either.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

I think Everlast lost his whiteboy card when he converted to Islam in the mid-'90s.

The guy from HoP is Everlast? :confused:

OMG its true! Ok scratch that one.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

Atmosphere, Aesop Rock and the non-POS, non-Mike Mictlan members of Doomtree are good

Also there's El-P, who quite obviously owns.

Stay safe, Texas.

aesop rock loving sucks

he's like white shabazz palaces mushed together and strained through an urban outfitters

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I am sure that a bunch of people dying in a horrible natural disaster wouldn't be good for trump's ratings but I think katrina was so specifically bad for bush because it was confirmations of specific concerns people had about him. I don't know it automatically applies to trump the same way.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Faustian Bargain posted:

How do you deal with someone who is anti-antifa because of preserving free speech?

Explain the tolerance paradox. Intolerance cannot be tolerated in a tolerant society, because the intolerant seek to destroy that society

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

also trying to confer blackness onto white people specifically stealing black art and then having a giggle about it (see "without me") is pretty loving gross

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dirt posted:

I lived in Texas for a bit, and I remember any time there was a small storm, there would be flooding pretty heavily just because the ground was mostly hard clay and the ground didn't really absorb much of the water.

That was Dallas though. Is it like that down near the coast too?
Yeah. Draw a curved line from just east of Dallas, through Austin, and then through San Antonio. You've just drawn the Balcones fault. More or less everything south and east of that line toward the Gulf is full of soils rich in clay. In particular the Gulf Coast has a lot of expansive clays, which expand when wet and tend to channel water afterward.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
the #1 hit song in america before white people started stealing black musical ideas was 'how much is that doggy in the window'

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am sure that a bunch of people dying in a horrible natural disaster wouldn't be good for trump's ratings but I think katrina was so specifically bad for bush because it was confirmations of specific concerns people had about him. I don't know it automatically applies to trump the same way.

Those fuckers will support him even as their lungs fill with water. In the end this will all be Obama's fault somehow.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

the #1 hit song in america before white people started stealing black musical ideas was 'how much is that doggy in the window'

Not an emptyquote.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Dems are going to lose in 2018 no matter what.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/900797528916054016

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

stone cold posted:

aesop rock loving sucks

he's like white shabazz palaces mushed together and strained through an urban outfitters

He's my least favorite of the artists I mentioned by a mile, sure. I'd rather talk about Doomtree and Run the Jewels, although more people need to listen to Killer Mike and El-p's solo careers.

And saying Eminem is an "honorary black person" is beyond dumb I agree

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Crossposting from the "Decoding Authoritarians" thread:

First off the infrastructure of the fine state of Texas is in a generally lovely state. Decades of conservative politics have had the effect of creating an odd situation where the most important arteries for commerce in Texas are well maintained, and everything else is running on vastly reduced capacity as a result of long term starvation of funds. Harvey is a Major Cat 3 Hurricane that is currently projected with a 12' storm surge, 127 MPH sustained winds, and will dump as much as 35 inches of rain on some areas. Setting aside the difficulty of describing just how bad the damage will be for a moment, (and its real bad) the infrastructure of Texas is in no way prepared to cope with the demands that are about to be placed upon it by the disaster relief. The degree of widespread damage in conjunction with the lovely state of Texas' infrastructure means that this would be a very difficult situation to manage properly even if Obama was still at the helm.

With Trump at the helm the odds that the response to this becomes bungled and that there is widespread misery and suffering as a result are pretty high.

My concerns are that if the response is bungled Alex Jones et all is going to spread conspiracy theories that a weather weapon was used on Texas by the Deep State (no doubt as punishment/a demonstration of its true power) and this will be on top of the guaranteed widespread conspiracy theory that the bungled response is the result of deliberate Deep State sabotage. At present there are probably enough high-compaction Narrativists in our society that kind of thinking could easily be spread by Russian bots all over the right wing echosphere. And then from there things will get rather interesting......

OTOH maybe this is the straw that breaks the camels back and snaps a sufficient enough portion of the GOP out of their trance such that Trump can be removed. Gonna be interesting either way.

If Trump bungles the response on this you can lay 100% odds on him tweeting the blame for the response at someone else.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

prom candy posted:

I'm pretty sure white people were stealing black musical ideas long before 1952.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The USpol thread talking about how white rappers are bad in response to bad conservative white rappers, and you don't bring up good liberal white rapper Esoteric?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_qND7__b70

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Kale posted:

It's crazy good and terrifying all at the same tie that Trump gets to handle his first major domestic crisis already. The guys just so self absorbed I can't wait to see him talk himself into a corner and continue with his beefs while thousands are suffering on top of probably a limp dick crisis response from his admin

Well if the grown ups can keep him playing at making commercials while they deal with it, it could go ok.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Glazier posted:

Those fuckers will support him even as their lungs fill with water. In the end this will all be Obama's fault somehow.

I guess? We all know trump is a powerful daddy and his big hands mean he isn't bound by normal laws and all will love him eternal not like bush. But that isn't really what I'm saying, I'm saying the katrina thing hit him specifically so hard because it was his second major disaster and the first one left people really anxious and unsure "did he do a bad job handling 9/11" and then the second disaster opening it as "yes, actually he is terrible at this" that flipped a ton of on the fence people to hating him. Trump doesn't have some national emergancy that a second one ends up being a referendum on like bush, so a hurricane doesn't necessarily make or break him.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Prester Jane posted:

If Trump bungles the response on this you can lay 100% odds on him tweeting the blame for the response at someone else.

If Trump performs perfectly, and rescues a drowning child with his own two hands, he'd still find someone to blame for yes, creating the hurricane.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How many inches of snow does 20 inches of rain translate to because that's the only frame of reference I have.

Settling increases density quite a bit, but freshly fallen snow is ~60 kg/m3. Water is 1,000 kg/m3.

Since snow's just water, I'm assuming we can just divide it out to a ratio of 16 and 2/3.

There's probably a rule of thumb about settling I don't know about but 35" of rain would equal 583" of fresh, unsettled snowfall or about five stories.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

good white rapper

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

You'll never convince me that Eso is not very good. Deck thinks he's good. You think you're a better judge than the Rebel INS?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Regarding storm surges and the havoc they can inflict, Isaac's Storm is a great read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Is democracy dead yet?

• Locked thread