Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival is also on iOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Your list is missing Race for the Galaxy! I know it's on iPad, at least, not sure about phones. But it's a good implementation and I've spent a lot of time with it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Fuuuuck I need to play this game

Yoooo pick a weekend and let's get like a 4 hour game going! I love The Colonists and haven't played it nearly enough.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Selecta84 posted:

So, here is the link for the new solo scenario for The Colonists.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uwylnondwg40cac/AADsQBrJM7-1BFUY9NOkQ2V6a?dl=0

The scenario is called Kaizo Colonists (a reference to the very hard fan made Super Mario mods called Kaizo Mario).

Just print the PDFs, put them side by side and get started.

The rules for this scenario are:

1) You only play the 1st Era
2) Remove the cards 114-120 as well as 135
3) No embassies
4) You play on the printed map, no tiles are added to the layout
5) On the market tiles you may only choose between solo scenarioselling stuff or getting stuff. You are not allowed to use the action on the bottom of the market Card

You win the game if you have employed at least 1 citizen at the end of the Era.
To really win the scenario your Colony should be worth a least 50 coins.

Oh so dope, thanks for this! I need to have a Colonists solo scenario day sometime soon

Fake edit: poo poo sorry for the double pooooooost

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Big McHuge posted:

Update about the shithead who stole games from my friend who died last week:

Confirmed that he's a shithead. Says he took some games, will maybe return some of them if we can provide a list of what we want back. I'm going to attempt not lay into him after the funeral on Saturday.

Even after we explained that the family was having to front the money to cover the mortgage and funeral and stuff, and that by selling his collection we were hoping to get some fast cash to them while they wait for his assets to unfreeze, this assburglar is still being lovely.

I know that grief makes people do stupid things, but I'm having a hard time buying that as an excuse at this point.

Just complete and utter disbelief. Sorry dude, looks like your (former) friend's an irredeemable fucker.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yep let everyone who might know him know what he did and make sure you emphasize his name. What an awful person. Tell him either give them back or you'll start a thread on BGG and out him.

Yeah just buy the base game cards for Dominion, you really won't need to sleeve all of them. Those are the only ones that get wear and just replace them as you go along.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Burning bridges for maybe a couple hundred bucks in board games is extremely :lol:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Burning bridges for maybe a couple hundred bucks in board games is extremely :lol:

nvm!!!!

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 25, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The guy who stole the games is the one burning the bridges for the $$ in games

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

You gonna give the family the $$? You don't know what that means to them.

And who'd want to be friends with a thief anyway? Why would you want to keep that bridge?

I...don't want to put words in Chill's mouth but they might mean "the guy who stole games is burning bridges for these games" not "the people who are angry he stole games".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

homullus posted:

The guy who stole the games is the one burning the bridges for the $$ in games

It'd be an amusing happenstance if one of the games was Kahuna.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I...don't want to put words in Chill's mouth but they might mean "the guy who stole games is burning bridges for these games" not "the people who are angry he stole games".

Oops!!! I'll nvm it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

It'd be an amusing happenstance if one of the games was Kahuna.

Or Bridges of Shangri La...

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
As far as we can tell this is the list of stuff that he made off with:
Orleans (new in shrink)
Twilight Struggle
Sentinels of the Multiverse (with a bunch of expansions)
Myth (I think, because I found a box with like 1/4 of the Myth kickstarter stuff in it but no base game anywhere)
Half of Armada (good luck playing with none of the tokens)
Half of Imperial Assault (good luck playing without any of the heroes and half the map tiles)
Some large black lantern heroclix thing for some inexplicable reason

And that's just what I can remember/have figured out. I've got about 250 games sitting in front of me so it's tough to really remember everything that we had played over the years.

It's not enough to go after someone legally, and aside from that these were all verbal arrangements that were made prior to my friend passing, so there's no documentation and it's just his word vs mine. I'm going to attempt to directly contact him via FB to offer him one last chance to set things right.

Another looming issue is how I'm going to deal with this massive Heroclix collection. It seems a bit large and pricey for someone just starting out, but it's going to be a severe pain to parcel it out in batches.

There are also a few potentially rare board games that I'm having trouble sussing out a price on. Catan Ancient Egypt, Colosseum (Days of Wonder), Starfarers of Catan, Napoleon in Europe.

At the very least sorting through all of this stuff is keeping my mind relatively occupied.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When you guys play solo Colonists, how many eras do you play?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just set up a solo game and I'm gonna do one or two now then finish in the morning. I think familiarity can really make the game speed along.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bottom Liner posted:

I just set up a solo game and I'm gonna do one or two now then finish in the morning. I think familiarity can really make the game speed along.

So you do all four?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CommonShore posted:

So you do all four?

This will be my first aside from the one era learning game but yup.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Your list is missing Race for the Galaxy! I know it's on iPad, at least, not sure about phones. But it's a good implementation and I've spent a lot of time with it.

Ah yeah, added it. It's a great version. Speaking of, there being Roll for the Galaxy to Android/iOS soon as well. That will be the ideal way for me to figure out which one I like more. I think Race is better, but Roll wins out as a physical game. It will be interesting to see what playing a ton of Roll will do to my perception of them both.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Big McHuge posted:

As far as we can tell this is the list of stuff that he made off with:
Orleans (new in shrink)
Twilight Struggle
Sentinels of the Multiverse (with a bunch of expansions)
Myth (I think, because I found a box with like 1/4 of the Myth kickstarter stuff in it but no base game anywhere)
Half of Armada (good luck playing with none of the tokens)
Half of Imperial Assault (good luck playing without any of the heroes and half the map tiles)
Some large black lantern heroclix thing for some inexplicable reason

And that's just what I can remember/have figured out. I've got about 250 games sitting in front of me so it's tough to really remember everything that we had played over the years.

It's not enough to go after someone legally, and aside from that these were all verbal arrangements that were made prior to my friend passing, so there's no documentation and it's just his word vs mine. I'm going to attempt to directly contact him via FB to offer him one last chance to set things right.

Another looming issue is how I'm going to deal with this massive Heroclix collection. It seems a bit large and pricey for someone just starting out, but it's going to be a severe pain to parcel it out in batches.

There are also a few potentially rare board games that I'm having trouble sussing out a price on. Catan Ancient Egypt, Colosseum (Days of Wonder), Starfarers of Catan, Napoleon in Europe.

At the very least sorting through all of this stuff is keeping my mind relatively occupied.

CoolStuffInc does buyback for Heroclix, been looking to help a friend sell his collection as well.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Big McHuge posted:

For a minute there I read Heroclix as Heroscape, and was super ready to just snap up all of that sweet, sweet modular terrain.

What happened to Heroscape, anyways? I remember it being pretty fun.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

The Lord of Hats posted:

For a minute there I read Heroclix as Heroscape, and was super ready to just snap up all of that sweet, sweet modular terrain.

What happened to Heroscape, anyways? I remember it being pretty fun.

Funny you should mention that I think there is a bunch of Heroscape stuff here as well but I haven't even started to inventory the miniatures stuff.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Big McHuge posted:

Write. Wills.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, Scythe is getting a standalone Steam release, I imagine apps will follow.

Saw a banner confirming mobile Scythe at gencon

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Frush posted:

If it's just an accident then he'll likely just let you redistribute them as desired, if not then he'll probably get lovely about it and not respond or get mad.

Ugh, called it. Some people are just pricks.

Big McHuge posted:

I know that grief makes people do stupid things, but I'm having a hard time buying that as an excuse at this point.

Sorry man, that's not grief, that's opportunism. Just hoping the distraught family wouldn't notice a few obscure items missing while they deal with the hard stuff. Don't make excuses for him, you're on just about every kind of moral high ground there is here. Sadly it's not your fault but is your problem, and you either have to let him get away with it because it's not worth it to you or go after him in some way. Previously I suggested spreading it as publicly as possible, and that's still not a bad idea. Also, even if you don't know the laws surrounding it, have the executor demand their return (hopefully you have something of a list) and phrase it as a legal demand with the threat of legal action. Even if you can't actually do anything you might put the fear of god into him enough to see results.

In terms of actual game stuff, I've got a bit of a math problem. My friends and I were playing Red November, in which you wager minutes of time for additional success on a roll (ex// wagering 4 minutes is a success if you roll 4 or less on the d10) and I have one friend who insists (for example) that rolling the dice four times trying to get a 1 is basically the same as rolling it once hoping to get a 4 or less, but saves 'time' because 'what if you get it on the second roll?!'. I think he's thinking that it's P=(1/10)+(1/10)+(1/10)+(1/10) so 0.4 (40%) same as rolling a 4 or less. Instead wouldn't it be P=1-(9/10)^4 so 0.34? And that's for a 4. For a 9 by that math he's thinking you're rocking a 90% chance but I think it's actually more around 61%, which is a big difference compared to just rolling a 9 or less at an actual 90%.

I ask this because he insists on rolling through the game one 'minute' at a time and it drives me mad. He's persuasive enough that he's convinced everyone else and they only roll like normal because I almost have an aneurysm when they do it one at a time. Despite what it may seem I'm not good at mental/napkin math.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh so dope, thanks for this! I need to have a Colonists solo scenario day sometime soon

Fake edit: poo poo sorry for the double pooooooost

Your welcome.

Gonna try this one on the weekend I hope.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Frush posted:

In terms of actual game stuff, I've got a bit of a math problem. My friends and I were playing Red November, in which you wager minutes of time for additional success on a roll (ex// wagering 4 minutes is a success if you roll 4 or less on the d10) and I have one friend who insists (for example) that rolling the dice four times trying to get a 1 is basically the same as rolling it once hoping to get a 4 or less, but saves 'time' because 'what if you get it on the second roll?!'. I think he's thinking that it's P=(1/10)+(1/10)+(1/10)+(1/10) so 0.4 (40%) same as rolling a 4 or less. Instead wouldn't it be P=1-(9/10)^4 so 0.34? And that's for a 4. For a 9 by that math he's thinking you're rocking a 90% chance but I think it's actually more around 61%, which is a big difference compared to just rolling a 9 or less at an actual 90%.

I ask this because he insists on rolling through the game one 'minute' at a time and it drives me mad. He's persuasive enough that he's convinced everyone else and they only roll like normal because I almost have an aneurysm when they do it one at a time. Despite what it may seem I'm not good at mental/napkin math.

You have the probabilities right and I suspect you've correctly diagnosed what he's doing wrong.

Lots of people are just super bad at probability.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Frush posted:

In terms of actual game stuff, I've got a bit of a math problem.

Your calculations are correct. It's super easy to point out his error without any math, just go from your example of 9 rolls to 10 rolls. If you're rolling a d10 once looking for 10 or less you have a 100% chance of getting it. If you roll ten times looking for a 1, it's obviously not a 100% chance (it's only 65%).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just got my copy of Codenames Duet, can't wait!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

When you guys play solo Colonists, how many eras do you play?

My three solo games were one 3 era, then 4 the last two times. I want to try starting in a later era, that seems interesting since you have a fund to pick your existing buildings from.

I wish I could set it up and walk away, but my two cats would have a hayday with all the pieces :radcat:

Selecta84 posted:

Your welcome.

Gonna try this one on the weekend I hope.

Nice, let me know how it is! Unfortunately my weekends are booked up for a lil bit, and my new work schedule currently has me working late, so no Colonists for me for at least two weeks :furcry:

Super cool about mobile Scythe!

Super lovely about stealing-games-dude. I say shame the gently caress out of him if he doesn't return them, cause that's seriously heinous as gently caress.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tekopo posted:

Just got my copy of Codenames Duet, can't wait!

Mine just got delivered an hour ago, keen to play it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Mine just got delivered an hour ago, keen to play it
Managed to play out 4 games of it during my lunch break with a coworker, results so far were a loss due to not having enough turns, then a last minute win where I guessed the very last clue correctly, then an immediate loss when the first guess was an assassin, and then another loss where I couldn't guess the very last clue. So far, it's been excellent!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Make sure you start a campaign thing, the 11-1 and 8-4 and all that make your strategy very interesting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What happened with Rahdo? I keep reading stuff about how he quit doing reviews. :ohdear: He was my favorite reviewer and I enjoyed his playthroughs, even though he almost has the exact opposite taste to mine.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

What happened with Rahdo? I keep reading stuff about how he quit doing reviews. :ohdear: He was my favorite reviewer and I enjoyed his playthroughs, even though he almost has the exact opposite taste to mine.

He quit reddit because people were really hostile about (I think) his clank in space review? He got really upset and was like "hm yeah you know what this is not good for me I'm out"

afaik he is still doing videos he posted one yesterday

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Yoooo pick a weekend and let's get like a 4 hour game going! I love The Colonists and haven't played it nearly enough.

my weekends are mostly played by ear and just doing whatever comes along/comes to mind, so I'm down whenever you're free

double post, the sign of someone who plays games on forums

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kashuno posted:

He quit reddit because people were really hostile about (I think) his clank in space review? He got really upset and was like "hm yeah you know what this is not good for me I'm out"

Reddit is a cesspool good for him

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Reddit is a cesspool good for him
:agreed:

People got hostile because they were expecting something else and got personal with him. He deleted his account and everything, which is funny because now there is a thread there about meeting him in person and having a great experience.

Talas fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 25, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kashuno posted:

Oh, that's good to hear! I've been telling my friends to quit reading the reddit board game forum too and to join SA. One keeps putting it off and instead buys these weird $10 Queen Games because they're so cheap. :psyduck: (FYI world monuments is currently that cheap queen game) Like, I love that we were all able to get Chicago express for that cheap, but the other stuff?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Kashuno posted:

People feel strongly enough about Clank to get mad when someone doesn't like something/likes it too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah the boardgame subreddit is not great. Occasionally there'll something worth reading but it seems to be populated by knuckleheads mostly.