Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/900819705048563712

good twitter thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Holy poo poo they made Shim a mod.

:stare:

Congrats man.

Hey friends, life is hard, and it's harder when you're glued to the forums and social media and letting it all affect your attitude, sanity, and outlook on life. It's not that I didn't enjoy modding -- perhaps I enjoyed it a little too much. Anyways, the end times are upon us. Hail shim. I'll try to stop by from time to time.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
HAIL BLOOD EMPEROR SHIM

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Shim as mod. Man, 2017 really is the craziest timeline.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I don't mind twitter, but people who post these long tweet chains are loving annoying. Just post it up somewhere online and then link that poo poo.

This isn't directed at you Marx, btw.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

I don't normally read the real long ones but drat drat drat.... gently caress that guy and gently caress this president. Also you can pretty much tap out at /33 cause it's just editorializing after that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BadOptics posted:

I don't mind twitter, but people who post these long tweet chains are loving annoying. Just post it up somewhere online and then link that poo poo.

This isn't directed at you Marx, btw.

welcome to 2017, dawg. get with it or get left, because this is going to be the norm in journalism. and fwiw he links a story in like tweet 37 or something.

also hasnt shim been a mod for a while?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zeris is off to post about Elite: Dangerous and Ru Paul's Drag Race with N4I.

Anyway the ling Twitter threads are hilarious because people just can't admit that the medium is completely wrong for what they're trying to use it for.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

tl:dr; Trump is turning the US into a Russian-style oligarchic looting wonderland where who you know determines what laws/policies get written to profit you, exactly how everyone with half a brain said he would. Republicans don't care to do anything about it so there is no enforcement of the systems that are supposed to be preventing it and people who are already rich are profiting off of this happening so they'll be buying more politicians to ensure it keeps happening, welcome to our future.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BadOptics posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

Edit: I call for us to move to a candle based economy.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/686689946799845376

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Duke Chin posted:

I don't normally read the real long ones but drat drat drat.... gently caress that guy and gently caress this president. Also you can pretty much tap out at /33 cause it's just editorializing after that.

Carl Icahn, if you don't know, made his fame and wealth as a corporate raider in the '80s who bought companies and tore them apart to sell off the assets, most infamously TWA.

He's a giant rear end in a top hat and a poster child for everything wrong with unfettered capitalism.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Casimir Radon posted:

Zeris is off to post about Elite: Dangerous and Ru Paul's Drag Race with N4I.

Anyway the ling Twitter threads are hilarious because people just can't admit that the medium is completely wrong for what they're trying to use it for.

Twitter is perfect because you don't have to leave the platform to read these stupid long threads, and it does force people to word their poo poo (somewhat) carefully. The long threads are still kind of a drag, but it beats reading wordy blog post by some idiot who can't get to the point or put out a lede correctly. And mainstream media articles are so obnoxiously constrained by old school rules for a variety of reasons. Twitter isn't perfect but it's the go-to for a reason.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zeris posted:

Congrats man.

Hey friends, life is hard, and it's harder when you're glued to the forums and social media and letting it all affect your attitude, sanity, and outlook on life. It's not that I didn't enjoy modding -- perhaps I enjoyed it a little too much. Anyways, the end times are upon us. Hail shim. I'll try to stop by from time to time.

I hope my rampage didn't raise your blood pressure too much :ohdear:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Chichevache posted:

I was really worried the first major disaster during Trump's presidency would be an earthquake in California. I'm so glad it's only going to be Texas. :unsmith:

You're giving a pass to the whole loving dumpster fire that is the Trump term. Unfair!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Carl Icahn, if you don't know, made his fame and wealth as a corporate raider in the '80s who bought companies and tore them apart to sell off the assets, most infamously TWA.

He's a giant rear end in a top hat and a poster child for everything wrong with unfettered capitalism.

Wasn't the plot of Wall Street based heavily on him?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

psydude posted:

Wasn't the plot of Wall Street based heavily on him?

I think so, yeah. But there were a raft of other bastards like Boesky and the Milkens, just human filth gaming a loosey-goosey system.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Given that after WWII we got the Montgomery GI Bill, and the country realized that soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines needed job training and education to bring them back into the work force and have a productive economy...

It's arguable that Adolf Hitler did more for Veteran's Benefits than Ronald Reagan did for Workers' Rights.

gently caress Adolf Hitler forever and ever Amen, but on a tangent... gently caress Ronald Reagan, and the fact that he will now be compared possibly favorably to the miners of the Battle of Blair Mountain EVER.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
History is written by the victors.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Acebuckeye13 posted:

thaaaaaaaaat's why that name sounds loving familiar.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Trump is loving with Big Corn AND Big Oil?

That cannot end well. Billions or no billions, corn and oil employs a good chunk of K Street. No way they let this happen unpunished.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Zeris posted:

Twitter is perfect because you don't have to leave the platform to read these stupid long threads, and it does force people to word their poo poo (somewhat) carefully. The long threads are still kind of a drag, but it beats reading wordy blog post by some idiot who can't get to the point or put out a lede correctly. And mainstream media articles are so obnoxiously constrained by old school rules for a variety of reasons. Twitter isn't perfect but it's the go-to for a reason.
I still prefer reading a coherent piece that someone composed as a whole and went back and revised, rather than what their stream of consciousness is 140 characters at a time.

OTOH, I was a grumpy old conservative at age 12.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Barbarian at the Gates is a pretty good book if you want to read about leveraged buyouts, which usually results in selling off a company's assets following a (sometimes) hostile takeover.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

I still prefer reading a coherent piece that someone composed as a whole and went back and revised, rather than what their stream of consciousness is 140 characters at a time.

OTOH, I was a grumpy old conservative at age 12.

Most times you can just click the link to the story in the first tweet.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I bought my car from that guy's dealership, and I'm pleasantly surprised that he's actually been a pretty good representative for his constituents.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BigDave posted:

Trump is loving with Big Corn AND Big Oil?

That cannot end well. Billions or no billions, corn and oil employs a good chunk of K Street. No way they let this happen unpunished.

Corn's been hosed with since mexico got pissed at Trump

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That guys my rep. He's seems like a good dude in the time that I've lived here.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol brando

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That person that tried to start poo poo with 2016 primary poo poo is full of it. Mod me shim, break me in as your first act.

I am taking a week long vacation from this earth and I ask you to help me with it,

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grognan posted:

I am taking a week long vacation from this earth and I ask you to help me with it,

You're running for forums moderator, not president.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Better idea: make me IK and secretary of executions again

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Holy poo poo they made Shim a mod.

:stare:

Whats the line on international Jew conspiracy jokes?

Asking for my account.

Hurricane Harvey update:

From 10pm Central:
LOCATION...25.2N 94.6W
ABOUT 250 MI...400 KM SE OF CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS
ABOUT 245 MI...400 KM SSE OF PORT OCONNOR TEXAS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 315 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...973 MB...28.74 INCHES

Word is the windspeed has jumped to 100mph. But the 1am central update will tell a better story. Regardless, its still strengthening and its setting over a patch of very warm, very deep water which is like tossing rocket fuel on a bon fire. So its going to get ugly by morning. Also they keep updating rain totals and if they are anywhere near accurate, lol at being inland.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Being explicit, probation me for a week and do what thou wilt.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Grognan posted:

Being explicit, probation me for a week and do what thou wilt.

I got you hooked up with a report so that way Shim sees it incase he misses your post.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Genocide Tendency posted:

Whats the line on international Jew conspiracy jokes?

Asking for my account.

Hurricane Harvey update:

From 10pm Central:
LOCATION...25.2N 94.6W
ABOUT 250 MI...400 KM SE OF CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS
ABOUT 245 MI...400 KM SSE OF PORT OCONNOR TEXAS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 315 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...973 MB...28.74 INCHES

Word is the windspeed has jumped to 100mph. But the 1am central update will tell a better story. Regardless, its still strengthening and its setting over a patch of very warm, very deep water which is like tossing rocket fuel on a bon fire. So its going to get ugly by morning. Also they keep updating rain totals and if they are anywhere near accurate, lol at being inland.

this poo poo scares the heck outta me

good luck texas

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I haven't read anything since about the hurricane since earlier today, but I know the governor declared a state of emergency. What about federal help? Has the head of FEMA said anything yet?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Better idea: make me IK and secretary of executions again

Make me secretary of civil war

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

this poo poo scares the heck outta me

good luck texas

If you are looking for a bright side... Building codes on the Texas cost are hilariously difficult and over engineered. They aren't a bunch of Groverhauses. Also, given that its RI it won't have the absolutely ridiculous storm surge that you can get with major hurricanes. Storm surge typically has to build up over time, something this storm hasn't had. Of course I'm not familiar with the topography so even 4-6 feet estimated which is what I saw earlier could be either laughed off by sea walls and dunes, or everything on the barrier islands being under water.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

suboptimal posted:

I haven't read anything since about the hurricane since earlier today, but I know the governor declared a state of emergency. What about federal help? Has the head of FEMA said anything yet?

Evacuate or follow directions of local / tribal governments

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2017/08/24/fema-encourages-residents-follow-directions-state-local-and-tribal-officials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Genocide Tendency posted:

If you are looking for a bright side... Building codes on the Texas cost are hilariously difficult and over engineered. They aren't a bunch of Groverhauses. Also, given that its RI it won't have the absolutely ridiculous storm surge that you can get with major hurricanes. Storm surge typically has to build up over time, something this storm hasn't had. Of course I'm not familiar with the topography so even 4-6 feet estimated which is what I saw earlier could be either laughed off by sea walls and dunes, or everything on the barrier islands being under water.

The storm surge isn't a concern. The concern is the 30-40 inches of water in a couple days dumping on areas that get less than that annually.

• Locked thread